Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline acwertheim  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2016 19:33:06(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Hi,
I upgraded my analog 3047 loc. with a new high efficiently motor and an ESU lokpilot V4.0 decoder with a 7226 Smoke unit to work with F1 on my control unit.
The loc runs great as long as I don't press the F1 function. The smoke unit works great but the speed of the loc, decreases immediately, and as soon as I discontinue the smoke unit it resumes the faster speed.
Does anybody have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks
Abe
acwertheim
Offline sgtb  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2016 05:45:08(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
Hi Abe

If this was mine, first I would check my connections and make sure I don't have a voltage drop to the decoder.

When you say the loc slows down would it be shunting speed? Possible both are enabled when f1 is activated.

Just a guess to get things started.

Bob
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2016 10:36:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Abe,2 scenarios: a.) F1 is also connected the loco half speed setting (switching mode) or the smoke generator is not connected to the track connection but ground connection on the decoder. I have 3 of these locos and none of them have these symptoms.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline acwertheim  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2016 12:57:49(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Abe,2 scenarios: a.) F1 is also connected the loco half speed setting (switching mode) or the smoke generator is not connected to the track connection but ground connection on the decoder. I have 3 of these locos and none of them have these symptoms.

John

Hi John,
Thanks for your help. You were right. I had the F1 output set by mistake to "switching mode"

Now I have another question. According to ESU (website loksound.com/installation manual) The wiring diagram 6.8.1 of the lokpilot V4.0 decoder, I should keep the Aux1 connected between the green and blue wires. That is how I have wired the Marklin 7226 smoke unit. This means the 7226 is not connected to the chassis of the Loc. How do you do this when the 7226 slides into the steam opening of the chassis. So one side of the 7226 HAS to go to the chassis. This is not according to the ESU wiring diagram. Do I have to insulate the case of the 7226 against the chassis?
Thanks
Abe
acwertheim
Offline sgtb  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2016 14:00:01(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
Hi Abe

Keep the green wire connected to the contact strip, tape off and don't use the blue wire for aux 1. The 7226 will ground itself in the metal body for this model.

Bob

Offline acwertheim  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2016 14:26:09(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Originally Posted by: sgtb Go to Quoted Post
Hi Abe

Keep the green wire connected to the contact strip, tape off and don't use the blue wire for aux 1. The 7226 will ground itself in the metal body for this model.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Yes that works, but my 7226 does not smoke very much. If I tie the blue wire to the outside of the 7226 and insulate the case of the 7226 from the chassis it smokes much better. The voltage on the 7226 is also much higher than if I do it as you say.
Let me know what you think.
Abe
acwertheim
Offline sgtb  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2016 15:05:33(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
Hi Abe

Good Question. I have 7 old steamers from the 80's I converted and wired this way and kept the same 7226 that were already installed. All smoke great since I went from analog to digital 4 years ago. I know you can adjust it in the programing, but haven't got on that side of it yet.

Bob

Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2016 10:50:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
there are several programming and connection methods, 1.) green wire to the contact sleeve and so far the smoke unit is concerned it will have the contact from the boiler (track). 2.) with a lok programmer you can adjust the heating temperature. while stationary or while moving 3.) do not use the setting for ESU smoke unit.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline acwertheim  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2016 15:41:41(UTC)
acwertheim

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
there are several programming and connection methods, 1.) green wire to the contact sleeve and so far the smoke unit is concerned it will have the contact from the boiler (track). 2.) with a lok programmer you can adjust the heating temperature. while stationary or while moving 3.) do not use the setting for ESU smoke unit.

John

Hi Bob and John,
Thanks for all your help. I have solved my problem. It seemed that my track voltage was not as high as it should have been. (I use my own design controller) I bought an Seuthe #9 that works on a lower voltage than the 7226.
The smoke unit works now very good.
Thanks again for all your help.
Best regards
Abe
acwertheim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by acwertheim