Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2016 01:52:06(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
As most here have noticed, I make no secret that I am on the autism spectrum. Diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome a couple years ago, but I have dealt with the difficulties of having this disorder since I was a child. While trains are my "go to" calming tool, they also can be a source of frustration. This really comes to the surface in trying to build a layout. It is so overwhelming and complex that I just keep getting false starts. I get one track plan somewhat done, then get frustrated trying to find odd pieces of needed track or my complete dislike doing scenery. I picked up that oddball preformed layout thinking it would be the ticket around the whole major scenery issue, just revamp it with some fresh grass and paint. But I cannot find who made it nor can I figure out what track radius to use. I tried some 18 and 22 inch radius track I had from my 2 rail days, nope. The track from my stater set is to tight of a radius and I have no local source of C track to experiment with to see what fits. To my autistic mind, the track needs to follow the road bed that is molded and not deviate from it much. So now I cant run trains as the molded thing is sitting on my 4x7 foot table and the track is in a pile at one end. Making track plans is just as frustrating. I may have to sell off some stuff so I can afford one of the newer Noch layouts that will fit on my table. I am kind of a lone wolf where I live, with nobody else to assist with scenery or helping make a layout from a flat table top, look less flat and more like Germany. So for now I am so overwhelmed and frustrated that nothing is going to happen for a bit, despite my desire to run some trains, and that is even more frustrating. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2016 02:52:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sounds like that preformed layout is the source of troubles.. Time to let it go..

You could always model Dutch Railways.. I have never been to the Netherlands, but all my Dutch friends like to remind me that the whole country is flat and there are no mountain goats as there are no mountains.. Laugh

My motto is: Simple is good.. No grass on my current layout.. The only tree is still in the box it came in 10 years ago.. I spent my scenery money on signals.. Much more fun..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline ixldoc  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2016 04:06:06(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hello Mike,
I agree with Adrian, if the preformed layout is causing you angst, then forget it and stick with a flat plan layout.
I agree with you in your dislike of doing scenery and I have a large totally flat layout. I have used cardboard or plastic buildings, added turntable, transfer table and various small bits of scenery such as stick in trees. The only elevated piece of scenery is just to support some houses and two tunnel mouths to hide the return circle of tracks.

The board has seen M, K and now C track. The last time I built the layout with C track I sanded the entire table and painted it battleship grey. It may look a bit post apocalypse but my interest is working on trains, electronics and the application to model trains, so it is a sort of large test bed for me.That is the beauty of this hobby, it holds something for everyone.

If you can source C track I would use it , mostly because it is so forgiving when setting up a layout. I have yet to plan a layout before I laid track.
Good luck and hang in there.
Regards,
Howard.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2016 04:19:14(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thanks guys, I manged to take the two sections that make up the preformed layout and stuck them in the storage shed for now. If I can find what brand/model it is, then I can find the track plan and figure out what track it was supposed to have. Here is a pic or two of it incase someone knows what model and brand it is. Nothing from Noch that has pics on the web has come close yet. The stairs up to the flat ground on top of the tunnel is a nice key spotting feature, along with the lake(which the PO filled in partialy to make room for the depot. Mike. For now my table is cleared off, just a flat, green 4 foot by 7 foot table again.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline waltklatt  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2016 14:56:51(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Mike,
I agree with the others (Adrian, Howard).
Start with a simple flat layout and enjoy playing with the trains.
Once you get to the point where you want more, then you can modify portions at a time to be more different.
I've done this many times.
Now I have two preformed layouts from Noch.
See Alpe, which is for sale, and the Birkenfeld, which I'm keeping for now.
Both are complete with structures, trees and scenery.
I changed the tracks on the Birkenfeld in a way that I kept one train going while the other was under construction.
Now adding two larger mountains on top of the smaller ones, to make it more Alpine like.

You might want to do the same.

Best,
Walter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline jerdenberg  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2016 16:10:08(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like that preformed layout is the source of troubles.. Time to let it go..

You could always model Dutch Railways.. I have never been to the Netherlands, but all my Dutch friends like to remind me that the whole country is flat and there are no mountain goats as there are no mountains.. Laugh

My motto is: Simple is good.. No grass on my current layout.. The only tree is still in the box it came in 10 years ago.. I spent my scenery money on signals.. Much more fun..

I agree with the comments about a flat layout, or rather, anything to at least run trains on. My present "layout" consists of about 2 metres of straight track in the window sill, as I don't have room for anything else yet, but I can experiment with the CS2 I bought and a simple windows tablet that runs the CS2 software so I have a wireless controller (when I have room for the big layout I have in mind), and enjoy the [limited] movement and sounds of (presently) a Big Boy and a MTH Challenger. Before we moved to another house last year, I had a temporary layout in my office (I'm self-employed, working from home), and it was really nice to be able to run some trains for relaxation.

I'm copying Adrian's response because I have a small correction to his description of the Netherlands. In the part where I come from the hills rise to a staggering 300 metres Smile

Jeroen

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2016 16:38:50(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Mike,

I do not think I have your syndrome but I am pretty sure I have a couple of others collected over the years!

This perfect layout thing is not compulsory,it is perfectly alright to play with trains without having perfect scenery.

In fact,i have seen many examples of collectors layouts having no scenery whatsoever,having the advantage that one is not distracted by the scenery and can focus on the trains!

Cheers,
Paul
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline nitramretep  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2016 19:21:40(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Mike, I dont have the issue that you are burdened with but still find layouts a tedious and frustrating endeavor. My approach is to "keep it simple" and avoid any scenery complexities. Frankly a flat layout, just simple plain sheet plywood is a great start or even point of final design. I have a plain painted plywood layout with about 5 building kits I built over the last year or so. I prefer to concentrate on my locomotives and rolling stock, not finding lost trains in mountain tunnels. Some of the nicest layouts I have seen are basic with more attention to trains, lights and track, with a few buildings (some pre-built). Don't get too frustrated and I am certain the people on this site are more than happy to answer questions and commiserate with you. Thanks for your post, it was a reminder to me that others have problems that we all sometimes forget.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2016 23:36:49(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
I am kind of a lone wolf where I live, with nobody else to assist with scenery or helping make a layout from a flat table top, look less flat and more like Germany.
Actually, the coastal plains along the German North Sea coast are flat marshlands.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 11 June 2016 00:28:39(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am always amazed how much difference a simple backdrop makes, especially as scenic divider to create a diorama feeling. This could either be a collage of textures found on the internet or a high resolution wallpaper, printed at a copy shop and glued on DIY shop plywood sheets or lightweight boards found in arts and craft supplies shops (varnish to be applied to avoid fading). I attach an appetizer based on one of your early layout photos. Like that the backdrop could be leaned against the wall and easily be stored.
artful1dodger.png
The above (high resolution) wallpaper used for above example can be found here:
https://images8.alphacoders.com/419/419522.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline artfull dodger  
#11 Posted : 11 June 2016 02:02:34(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I was thinking a couple of tunnels, but they cannot be real tall. That table folds up against that frame on the wall, I have 10 inches of depth to allow for buildings, signals ect to be mounted on the layout. Tunnels can be installed if under 10 inches or removable like the ones that Noch offers. Which is the route I am considering. Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 11 June 2016 02:09:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
For now my table is cleared off, just a flat, green 4 foot by 7 foot table again.

Right - keep it simple. Add complexity as you can but never let that limit the enjoyment of your trains. I too am sometimes overwhelmed by all of the things that you have to coordinate to make a really nice layout and also to make it work well. I find signals intriguing but I know little about how to make them function correctly or exactly how they can control trains. I don't know if I will ever landscape a permanent layout, but I think getting a nice backdrop for photography is a lot of bang for the buck. I don't yet have a permanent layout anyway - no worries! BigGrin

I am too old to be formally classified as somewhere on the spectrum but I am sure that I am - I have taken the online tests. I never thought much about it until my grand-nephew was diagnosed as on the spectrum. Interestingly he is the one who I will leave my Marklin collection to eventually.

Being placed on the spectrum is just a very general categorization anyway. Each of us is exactly what we are and what we can become, regardless of what anyone else says. As you know, there are many benefits to our mind set as well. When my wife makes fun of me sometimes, I point out that she expects there to be engineers who will make all of the toys that she takes for granted and that we are not quite normal people.

Start with the simplest layout that makes sense to you and just build onto it as you can. I find a world of MRR that I own and control very comforting, as I'm sure you do too. I think that the trick is to enjoy the challenges and beauty of an incredibly interesting hobby without getting buried in the details of what can also be very challenging. I have just gotten back into enjoying my Marklin trains in the last 6 months after a 12 year break and it has been very enjoyable.

Don't let the challenges overwhelm the many positives - we all have to turn out disadvantages to advantages whenever we can.

Edited by user 11 June 2016 13:23:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline artfull dodger  
#13 Posted : 11 June 2016 02:56:40(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I got my diagnosis while we were in marriage counceling. We were having lots of problems, I had a major anger problem leading to what I now know are meltdowns, and I have very violent ones. Once the therapist diagnosed me with Asperger's Syndrome or what is now ASD level 1 in the USA, we started on teaching me better coping skills and teaching her how to keep me safe and how to calm me down when I get agitated. Our marriage is the best its been in many years. I wear a medical id bracelet on my left wrist as when I get overwhelmed, I will shutdown and go catatonic, this happened in Lowes, a large home center here in the USA and only the bright green "Autism Society of Indiana" bracelet on my other wrist kept them from calling EMS. Once they saw that, the employee asked if I was autistic, which I was able to nod enough to say yes, and to his question if I would be alright. Which I was in about 5 more min when I calmed down and my brain reset itself. I am going to work on some track plans this weekend, going to be very hot and humid here, so I will stay indoors with the AC running. I cannot deal with real hot/humid weather, or real cold weather. Sensory intergration issues is one of my comorbid conditions I have. I can have as much novacain they can give when having a tooth pulled, but might has well not give me any, I still feel the pain, so they have to knock me out. I cannot get into a cold swimming pool, but a hot tub is right up my alley, along with a flaming hot shower. Loud noises, I avoid those and wear a headset when I mow or go to an event that is very loud. Sunglasses are required when its bright outside or even in some indoor places that are lighted super bright. All of these reduce my anxiety and stress so I can function at all. Mike
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline baggio  
#14 Posted : 11 June 2016 03:53:54(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
It seems to me, Mike, that you are doing very well in dealing with your issues. You know what to do and take the proper steps to minimize the negative effects. That is more than most people can say about their own issues. ThumpUp

As for frustration, building even a simple layout IS frustrating for everyone; seemingly simple tasks turn into long and frustrating chores. However, once the job is done, there is pride in having accomplished the deed, no matter how small. BigGrin I once felt very proud that I was able to remove the "shell" or cover of the loco.

As others suggested, build a simple layout made of trains, turnouts and track. The scenery can then come along a bit at a time. A green carpet on the table helps a lot in appearance. Trees, you can buy Christmas trees that look like pines for about $1.00 each, as I did. I think that is more fun than laying down tracks to fit a layout.

As for being all alone in building a layout, we are all in the same boat - except for this forum, we all play on our own and rarely friends and relatives pop by and when they do, it's a short visit. My wife usually spends, literally less than 60 seconds looking at my trains. However, at Christmas she buys me a very nice train present (actually, I buy it myself and open it Christmas Eve - but it's HER Xmas present for me). Smile

Look around for a dealer that ships the item(s) to you who is trustworthy to actually tell you if the item(s) is/are in stock. Some dealers will not tell you and you end up waiting forever for the item(s) to arrive. Even a good dealer can end up waiting two months or more to receive an item from Marklin, even when Marklin has it in stock. Scared

Have a super weekend.

Silvano

P.S. Make sure you always have a BIG sign on you that alerts authorities to your being autistic - as you found out, it's very important. ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline artfull dodger  
#15 Posted : 11 June 2016 04:13:33(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I relaid this track plan, which was what I was working on when I picked up the preformed mess. I am short a few pieces of C track to complete it. The plan came from page 62 of the booklet that came with my digital starter set. I need the following pieces of C track to complete the plan:24612 x 2, 26611 x 1, 24671 x 1, 24330 x 1, 24230 x 2 and one of the standard unlighted end of track bumpers. I would love one of the nicer Noch single track curved tunnels if anybody has one that isnt needed. Here is the relaid track. Its an old pic but the track is laid out the same. Mike
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline baggio  
#16 Posted : 11 June 2016 05:30:24(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I need the following pieces of C track to complete the plan:24612 x 2, 26611 x 1,

Do you mean 24611 x 1?
Offline artfull dodger  
#17 Posted : 11 June 2016 13:51:01(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Opps, your right, a hit the 6 key one to many times. was trying to read them off the track plan and type at the same time. Mike
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 11 June 2016 19:37:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Mike:

It occurred to me that you are not as much out of luck as you may think in Indiana in getting the track and other Marklin products that you want.

Try using Walthers, the 2 Rail US giant that also sells Marklin.

Go to your local Walthers dealer and ask them to get you Marklin trains. If they participate in Walthers' sales - most do - then you can get them to order Marklin products at sale prices without shipping charges.

Below I set out the link to Walthers page dealing with Marklin track and the monthly sale booklet that gives you also the list of participating dealers in Indiana and elsewhere. Again, even though you may not find a local shop set out in the list, I have little doubt that a good train shop where you are that carries Walthers 2 rail gear will be very happy to get you the Marklin gear, at sale prices.

Let us know how you fare.

https://www.walthers.com/search/...e/page/2?q=marklin+track

http://flyers.walthers.com/app.....5&bookcode=jun16flx
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline artfull dodger  
#19 Posted : 12 June 2016 03:07:59(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thats how I scored my starter set, it was on Walthers "dump list"of items they needed rid of. Got it for under $280 thru my dealer right in the town I live in. Next question, should I reinstall the Unlenbrock Intellebox 2 and the IB switch control center, or just use my mobile station2? I have zero interest in sound engines, on a small layout, sound is overpowering, even at low volume the constant sound gets on my nerves fast. I do like the twin throttles on the Intellebox. I normaly let one train orbit the line while I shunt with the other. If I have to toggle back and forth, in an emergency my mind tends to freeze and I cannot process the steps to get the right train stopped. So my current thought is to keep using the older Intellebox 2 set up. Going to wire it back up tonight or tomorrow. Mike
Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 12 June 2016 04:03:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Mike:

I just received an e-mail from Jim Thomas, a dealer in your town that sells Walthers gear and therefore Marklin gear. He also participates in Walthers' sales.

Here is the link to the store:

The Train Exchange

Hope this helps.

Have a good Sunday. BigGrin

Offline artfull dodger  
#21 Posted : 15 June 2016 15:47:50(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
His shop is the one I do use to get Marklin stuff from on occasion. But thru the other co-owner Norm, who is a personal friend. With funds very tight, I always shop for the best price, be it from there, ajckids ect. I have made slow progress, I am back to the point where the layout looks like the picture above. I got the digital controlers hooked back up last night. Hopefully in the next month or so, I will complete the track plan and start on some basic scenery. I did get a few buildings with the preformed layout that are in much better shape than the layout was. But I will need to get a new station, one on the layout is pretty beat up. I try to work on the layout a little every couple nights or so when my anxiety allows. Most week nights I am to overstimulated from a long work day to do much more than go on the computer and read. Mike
Offline Alsterstreek  
#22 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:34:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I have made slow progress, I am back to the point where the layout looks like the picture above. I got the digital controlers hooked back up last night. Hopefully in the next month or so, I will complete the track plan and start on some basic scenery.
To encourage you: As I stated earlier, the German sea shores are rather flat (and green) like your layout, especially along the shore of the North Sea. I attach some pix.
bahnhof-handewitt-wallsbuell-23-64810300-23-64810301-1412150029.jpgcvr45o5k3dky9v1bb.jpg
0110410Condea.jpgdsc_9028fahjfa.jpgNOBvt309Meldorf1p010509.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline artfull dodger  
#23 Posted : 15 June 2016 17:56:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Beautiful pics. I enjoy seeing pictures, probably the best way for me to envision how to do the scenery on the layout. I hope to visit Germany when I retire. I have family not far from Nuremburg that we can stay with. Mike
Offline dickinsonj  
#24 Posted : 15 June 2016 18:41:44(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Nice images - thanks for posting them.

I really want a V 200 in the livery shown in the third image and that shows what a nice looking lok that is!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline artfull dodger  
#25 Posted : 15 June 2016 21:13:24(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have more wants that my meager budget will allow. A V200 is also one of them, along with the Santa Fe F7 pair, and a 3048 Pacific. Even in the states, each of those is usualy over $100 each or more. Takes me several months of no train spending to come up with that kind of $$. Mike
Offline Alsterstreek  
#26 Posted : 16 June 2016 11:56:11(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
DB "Pacific" on the North German Plain.
0110.jpg
:o)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline boxcab  
#27 Posted : 01 July 2016 02:55:58(UTC)
boxcab

Greetings,

Regarding "NOCH" layouts:

I once bought a used one which was nicely assembled--it was a fairly complicated one.

I have since given it away, complete, to an someone with special-needs children.

If I were you, I wouldn't pine for a NOCH layout. Based on my experience I found them flimsy and fragile. I wasn't impressed with build-quality, compared to a simple home-made layout table built from 1x4's and plywood, in one afternoon, to replace it.

This replacement table (4'x8') was placed on 2 rolling tool carts purchased from harbor freight. I bet I the system currently has 2000 pounds of weight on it--perhaps more.

In terms of the NOCH, I spent quite a bit of time beefing-up the flimsy substructure to support the weight of a landscaped layout. And I have limited room. A rolling layout is far preferable to me.

NOCH-lovers may find such blasphemy; I understand customer-loyalty and wish them well--I'm not trying to start a fight.

Like others have said and keeping things simple on a flat plywood layout, maybe landscaped with sound-board and drywall mud or various foam and woodland scenic tricks are what suggest to you, and what I would do for myself if I had to do-it-over. Such is how I arrived at my personal satisfaction.

Regards,

Boxcab.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by boxcab
Offline Thewolf  
#28 Posted : 01 July 2016 15:33:41(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: boxcab Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

Regarding "NOCH" layouts:

I once bought a used one which was nicely assembled--it was a fairly complicated one.

I have since given it away, complete, to an someone with special-needs children.

If I were you, I wouldn't pine for a NOCH layout. Based on my experience I found them flimsy and fragile. I wasn't impressed with build-quality, compared to a simple home-made layout table built from 1x4's and plywood, in one afternoon, to replace it.

This replacement table (4'x8') was placed on 2 rolling tool carts purchased from harbor freight. I bet I the system currently has 2000 pounds of weight on it--perhaps more.

In terms of the NOCH, I spent quite a bit of time beefing-up the flimsy substructure to support the weight of a landscaped layout. And I have limited room. A rolling layout is far preferable to me.

NOCH-lovers may find such blasphemy; I understand customer-loyalty and wish them well--I'm not trying to start a fight.

Like others have said and keeping things simple on a flat plywood layout, maybe landscaped with sound-board and drywall mud or various foam and woodland scenic tricks are what suggest to you, and what I would do for myself if I had to do-it-over. Such is how I arrived at my personal satisfaction.

Regards,

Boxcab.

Hi

I have a layout Noch, Mike my dealer who is known here by quite a lot of people also and I know 2-3 Swiss also

I have no problem, Mike either. Friends Swiss they seem correct.

Personally I find the concept Noch perfect for an apartment

Thewolf

Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline baggio  
#29 Posted : 02 July 2016 18:55:16(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Wolf:

So as to be clear: Is your "Mike" in Montreal or is he the one in Toronto?

Thanks.
Offline baggio  
#30 Posted : 02 July 2016 19:24:03(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Mike;

Just a couple of thoughts/suggestions. My usual two cents' worth.

I really like the plain layout in green you showed us at post no.15. It looks a bit like mine: simple but potentially very playful.

You may want to spend a few dollars in a two-rail US starter set, used, that you can add to the Marklin set and have that train run in its own oval in the opposite direction of the Marklin train.The new train adds variety and makes me happy to see the two run together. Make sure the US set is analogue: much more economical than a digital set.

You can buy used two-rail locos and rolling stock much more easily than Marklin gear. The good news is that once you get around the coupler problem, you can use US rolling stock on the Marklin set (but not vice-versa without changing the wheels).

The Santa Fe set is horrifically expensive in the Marklin version but much more affordable in the two-rail version.

You are clearly much more capable with your hands than I am, so you could easily add bit by bit scenery that you create. Also, you can buy at dollar stores trees stations, buildings, etc. - at prices much lower than at a train shop.

There are some Noch galleries that are very nice (but not sturdy) at low prices even at a Marklin shop (USD$20.00?) and you may be able to adapt them to your layout.

With some planning and some work, building a very nice and enjoyable layout need not be expensive and the process would be very enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

Silvano
Offline Thewolf  
#31 Posted : 03 July 2016 14:47:47(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Wolf:

So as to be clear: Is your "Mike" in Montreal or is he the one in Toronto?

Thanks.

Hi Baggio

This is Mike from Westend Trains

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Thewolf