Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2016 13:48:41(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am a K track man for all my Marklin life. My usual “method” of track laying is to use an MDF board with floor underlay as a track bed and with the track screwed down in as few places as practical to leave it secure and firm. Wiring disappears below the board through 5mm drilled holes. Now I am going to try a small C track project – a very modest shunting frame.
So – C track? The same MDF board – no track bed. I presume the wiring is carried under the track and drill holes made to take it below the board. I will be using turnouts with 74491 motors to be wired to a 60831 decoder along with a couple of uncouplers as well. So what is the best practice for securing the track to the board – I have a box of C track screws. Is it the same - as few a possible leaving the track secure? Any other little tips would be helpful to a C track newbe.
Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2016 15:03:26(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
A few screws should hold it down. If you have to "bend " some track to make it fit screw both sides to hold it. It wont need lots of screws to hold it. EddieMellow Mellow
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline sjlauritsen  
#3 Posted : 15 June 2016 15:05:32(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I use the C track screws, but I do not use all the holes for the screws. I use what ever amount is needed for the track to be secure.

I have also used MDF underneath the track, it works just fine and I drill holes in the MDF to feed the track every 1 - 1.5 meter. I usually create a larger hole underneath turnouts to be able to service the turnout motors. This has been helpful through the years when a motor stops working.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2016 09:39:09(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Rwill,

I used C track exclusively, and because my layout is a complete circuit, and permanent, I screwed nothing down.

Here is a link to how I prepared the track bed.
http://www.qldrail.net/altkloster/softlysoftly1.htm

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2016 00:51:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Another option is to build the way Märklin of Sweden did with his M-track - he doesn't secure the M-track to the base, he glues down foam-core board bevel cut to lock the track in place (and there is padding between track and board base). This makes it easier to remove track pieces, but requires gluing down that clamping foam core board. Just an alternative approach.

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2016 04:08:43(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I am a K track man for all my Marklin life. My usual “method” of track laying is to use an MDF board with floor underlay as a track bed and with the track screwed down in as few places as practical to leave it secure and firm. Wiring disappears below the board through 5mm drilled holes. Now I am going to try a small C track project – a very modest shunting frame.
So – C track? The same MDF board – no track bed. I presume the wiring is carried under the track and drill holes made to take it below the board. I will be using turnouts with 74491 motors to be wired to a 60831 decoder along with a couple of uncouplers as well. So what is the best practice for securing the track to the board – I have a box of C track screws. Is it the same - as few a possible leaving the track secure? Any other little tips would be helpful to a C track newbe.

Another hint for C track is not to over dimensioned your wiring to the tracks. If you e.g. opt for a thick feeder wire you will find that the wire itself will resist following the geometry of the tracks and will try and push the tracks. So I would recommend something like 22-24 awg wires, flexible multi strand.

But to honest, due to how the C tracks clips together you won't need much securing as it's a very rigid track. My C tracks are only secured by having some ballast in between the tracks.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.