Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fje  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2016 16:33:16(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hello, I am in the way of digitalizing a 3356 I own and I have a doubt and consequently a question about the rear red light for those ones knowing the history of the swiss locomotives and light rules.

According to the following document: http://web-hgh-moba.de/m...6-schweizer-lichtwechsel when the locomotive is driving a train the rear light should be the lower-left white light, and when the locomotive is running alone, it should be the same light, but red.

This is valid for recent locomotives, but when we look at the old 6/8 locomotive, it has a red light over the central upper light. My question is... Am I right if I feel that in the first time this was the rear red light used when this locomotive was running alone? Maybe later on it was changed to the general lower-left one, and then, was it maintained in the locomotive but not used? or this locomotive always used the rear upper red light?

Thanks and regards.

Javier
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2016 18:24:57(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
(...) when the locomotive is driving a train the rear light should be the lower-left white light, and when the locomotive is running alone, it should be the same light, but red.

My question is... Am I right if I feel that in the first time this was the rear red light used when this locomotive was running alone? Maybe later on it was changed to the general lower-left one, and then, was it maintained in the locomotive but not used? or this locomotive always used the rear upper red light?

No Javier, I must say that this is partly wrong.

First we should clarify the position of the rear lights (both white or red). It should be the lower-right light, when facing the locomotive. Your other observations with regard to the locomotive heading a train or running alone are correct.

The upper red light that can be found on ancient locomotives was called a "Fahrberechtigungssignal" or "Falschfahrlicht". It was only used when a locomotive or a train exceptionally used a "wrong" or "forbidden" track. Perhaps you can try to machine-translate the explanations given here in this German text into your preferred language:

http://www.lokifahrer.ch...er_vergangenheit.htm#Zug

However, your assumption is correct that later this red light was kept on many locomotives but no longer used. Nowadays it is still present on some of the SBB historic locomotives used for special celebration and excursion trains.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline fje  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2016 18:45:23(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: fje Go to Quoted Post
(...) when the locomotive is driving a train the rear light should be the lower-left white light, and when the locomotive is running alone, it should be the same light, but red.

My question is... Am I right if I feel that in the first time this was the rear red light used when this locomotive was running alone? Maybe later on it was changed to the general lower-left one, and then, was it maintained in the locomotive but not used? or this locomotive always used the rear upper red light?

No Javier, I must say that this is partly wrong.

First we should clarify the position of the rear lights (both white or red). It should be the lower-right light, when facing the locomotive. Your other observations with regard to the locomotive heading a train or running alone are correct.

The upper red light that can be found on ancient locomotives was called a "Fahrberechtigungssignal" or "Falschfahrlicht". It was only used when a locomotive or a train exceptionally used a "wrong" or "forbidden" track. Perhaps you can try to machine-translate the explanations given here in this German text into your preferred language:

http://www.lokifahrer.ch...er_vergangenheit.htm#Zug

However, your assumption is correct that later this red light was kept on many locomotives but no longer used. Nowadays it is still present on some of the SBB historic locomotives used for special celebration and excursion trains.

Hi, thanks for such a quick, clear and full of information answer.... You are right about which lower rear light should be on.... I said "left" from the loc cabin view, you are right, it is the "right" when you are facing the rear side of the loc.

And the link you provided was very helpful about how that upper central red light was used, thanks again for it!, even the machine translator was able to gave me a good understandable idea of it... BigGrin

Anyway, you are very clear in your explanation and this means that I should forget about the upper red light and focus on the rear lower (lets forget the correct side BigGrin ) light.

Thanks again and kind regards.

Javier
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by fje
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2016 03:46:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
If you are in need of technical information on how to make the Swiss light change, here is a link to a conversion done by one of our valued members, Svein Saebø. Unfortunately Svein is no longer with us having passed away several years ago (but I for one miss him!), but his website is still available on the internet.

http://www.saebonet.com/...n/Tog/Sites/CH/26730.htm
Offline fje  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2016 08:27:16(UTC)
fje

Spain   
Hi, thanks for the link.

Even I feel that my 3356 is not exactly the same model than the one of your lost friend, it has some ideas I was thinking in implementing in mine, the relays functions, for instance. I will study it and will apply all the ideas that I would be able to implement, even I would change some things, probably transistors or optocouplers instead of the relays, for a matter of space.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Javier