Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ktsolias  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2016 11:08:46(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I have a 3751 Re 460 really very nice loco (One time series 1995)

IMG_07498a_resize.JPG

This Loco has the 6090 HLA motor the 6090 Decoder plus a special PCB for the Swiss Lights Changeover (No red, only White ) Art. No 62555.

IMG_04503_resize.JPGIMG_04502_resize.JPG

I am happy with this and I don't plan any upgrade at this moment as this Loco is mainly for Display.

The think that irritates me is the flickering of the lights.

The Lights are connected through the 62555 to the gray and yellow wire of the decoder (the only Controlable Function).
So far so good.
The problem arrives from the think that this decoder has no (+18V) for the return and instand the grounded frame is used (brown wire).

There are some solutions to the problem.

What I did is to use the unofficial "Waterstone" solder-pad on the 6090 PCB. (After the name of Desmond Waterstone a genius guy who described first, that there is on the decoder just on the side of the red wire an unused solder pad with +18V regulated).

IMG_04511_resize.JPG

So I de-solder the brown wires on the 62555 from the grounded solder pads, and re-solder on the other end where there are three unused solder- pads.

IMG_04518_resize.JPG

In the mindle pad I soldered an orange wire, and the other side to the pad of 6090 decoder on the side of the red wire

IMG_04516_resize.JPG
IMG_04523_resize.JPG
IMG_04538a_resize.JPG

A test: everything OK NO FLICKERING!!!!!

Next I changed the bulbs with 3mm Gold white LED's plus the dropping resistors of 1K5 1/4 W one for each LED. I solder the resistors on the 62555 PCB.

IMG_07505a_resize.JPGIMG_07507_resize.JPGIMG_04918a_resize.JPG

I am very happy with the result and of course I recommend this simple modification to all the locos with 6090 decoder.

Of course you can use different LED's (WW) but be very careful with the resistors value.
To use the original 610080 bulbs is in question for me because I don't now the output power of the "Waterstone" terminal in mA.

Thank you
Costas

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2016 11:41:55(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Nice review. Good to have all the information in one place.

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
To use the original 610080 bulbs is in question for me because I don't now the output power of the "Waterstone" terminal in mA.
I wouldn't worry about that - the 610080 nominally draw less than 24 mA and there is no big difference versus LEDs.
The Waterstone terminal can handle more than that. The limiting factor are the diodes, but they should be able to handle 1000+ mA for the whole loco. They have to handle the current of the flickering lights and can also handle the current of the non-flickering lights.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Dimitris Kanellos  
#3 Posted : 07 June 2016 08:45:01(UTC)
Dimitris Kanellos

nice work!!
Offline mmervine  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2016 21:12:28(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Thanks for posting this! I modified one of my Re460's to have warm white LED's similar to what you showed here. The main difference is that mine was a Delta that got a 5* motor and a LP4.0.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmervine