Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zev kahn  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2016 20:44:38(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
I purchased a Marklin HO starter set model number 29310.

When I run the train in reverse and turn on the light, it goes on in the engineer's cab when I push the light controller button and off when I push it again.

However, when I go forward the light will not go on pushing the button and also goes off on its own if I reverse the direction from reverse.

I have sent a message to the Marklin technical people twice and they have not responded.

The decoder chip as well as the wiring looks the same as pictures I looked up with a train friend of mine.

Does anyone know what may be going on? Can this be fixed to go on when the train goes forward? Is it an engineering mistake?

To me the light should go on when the train is in the forward motion. If it is supposed to only go on in the reverse, could someone give me a reason for that?

Thanks
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 June 2016 20:57:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!

According to the product database the loco does not have lights.

Is there a red light? It's probably only meant to help with programming the loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline zev kahn  
#3 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:07:30(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
It is actually a white light. It is accessed by a button on the remote.

The instruction manual that I got does not say one way or the other that there is a light. There are no front running lights or back up lights. The cab just lights up.

See attachment. Thanks for whatever info you can give me. I'll look again and see if I can find the database. Can you give me a link to it?

Marklin controller for light.JPG
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:18:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: zev kahn Go to Quoted Post
Can you give me a link to it?
Link to 29310

The database only lists "direct control" for the loco - this is F4, acceleration and braking delay off.
The controller supports lights - but for this loco the cab light is an undocumented feature.

It could be possible to rewire the decoder to have the light on in forward direction or in both directions.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 04 June 2016 21:27:51(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
This is what Marklin says about this set (and the fact it does not say anything about lights, means there are no lights, as HO said):

Model: The locomotive comes with a digital decoder and a special motor. 1 axle powered. Traction tires. Coupling hook. Robust model tractor with a trailer and a harvester with gripper arm, mainly made ​​of metal. Tree trunks made ​​of plastic. All of the cars have Relex couplers. Train length 49.8 cm. Contents: 12 24130 curved track, 4 straight track 24188, 1 base station, 7 straight tracks 24172, 2 curved tracks 24224, 1 right turnout and 1 24612 Weiche links 24611th switching power supply and a wireless infrared controller. Expanded with the C Track extension sets and the entire C Track program. The turnouts can be retrofitted with the electric drive 74,492th

Regarding the 29173 starter set, similar to yours, Marklin instead says (emphasis added):

Model: The tank locomotive has a digital decoder and a special motor. 1 axle powered. Traction tires. The dual headlights change over with the direction of travel, will work in conventional operation, and can be controlled digitally. The locomotive has coupler hooks. This set has 1 low side car with a load and 1 dump car, each with Relex couplers. Train length 34.0 cm / 13-3/8". Contents: 12 no. 24130 curved track, 2 no. 24172 straight track, 1 no. 24188 straight track, 1 base station, 1 switched mode power pack, and a wireless infrared controller. This set can be expanded with the C Track extension sets and with the entire C Track program.

The set you have still looks like a nice set and if you have a light that goes on in the cab, enjoy it as a bonus. BigGrin

Offline zev kahn  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2016 22:36:52(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
Thanks for the input. We looked at the decoder. The light is a an LED that is imbedded in the chip. The only access is a power and a ground (if that is the correct terminology). I think we also looked up the specks and the chip cannot be reprogrammed.

Would have been nice if there was an easy fix.

Thanks again.
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2016 23:39:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hate to tell you this, Zev, but there is nothing to "fix". The set you got has a little loco without lights. That does not make it a bad loco.

If you want a loco with lights, buy another loco and you will have lights. You will also have TWO locos, which is when this hobby becomes much more interesting.

You then want a parking side for one loco while the other one runs around. So you buy a bit more track and a stopper.

You then realize that you need a few wagons for the new loco and you buy a few wagons.

If you have a child, buy another wireless remote, they cost only about CAD$45.00 - you give one to your son/daughter and you have the other one. One remote controls one loco and the other remote controls the other loco.

Lots of fun and bonding with your kid. BigGrin ThumpUp

My usual 2 cents' worth.
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2016 00:54:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have the 36140 Wurttemberg T3 which is the same loco as in this set. The cab light only comes on in reverse when the light symbol is activated. The MS2 database entry for the 36140 does not include the light icon and it has to be programmed separately.

I believe the only reason for this light is to detect that the loco has entered programming mode when it flashes. However, it's a nice little bonus and I often turn the light on when I leave the loco parked in a siding. I pretend the crew is doing some servicing in the cab!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2016 03:28:10(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
According to the instructions https://static.maerklin....19de361be71434542424.pdf
the model is equipped with lights and warning light that can be digitally controlled.

There is, however, no mention of any lighting or light channels in the parts/exploded diagram associated with this set.

Have you seen another lok from the same set? Does it behave the same?

What I would recommend is that you test the locomotive using a MS2 or CS2 which can test the features better than the IR control.

Regards

Mike C

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2016 08:19:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
According to the instructions [...] the model is equipped with lights and warning light that can be digitally controlled.
Looks like the typically Märklin way of making a manual: quick'n'dirty copy'n'paste. Take a manual for a DHG 700 and make some changes, it's the same controller anyway.

Both "Headlights" and "Warning light" are IMHO editing errors.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 05 June 2016 11:56:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tom is correct. The manual incorrectly mentions working lights which don't exist on the model.

In the same manual where it lists the digital functions you can see that the only function listed is the acceleration/braking delay on/off
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline zev kahn  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2016 04:47:04(UTC)
zev kahn

United States   
Thank you all for your kind responses and support. It is a little frustrating being a newbie and obviously I got a starter set and am thankful for what I have.

Since then I have purchased a BR64 lok ERA 3 (39640). Having lots of fun smoking, steam sounds, horn, and lights that change with direction. We had a swap meet at Eurowest last weekend and I now have several passenger cars and baggage cars to go along with the set.

And yes, my entry level set came with a turnout and I can run one train into park and let the other run around.

Much fun.

Zev