Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tex  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2016 03:43:10(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Hello out there

I have a number of 763XX marklin color light signals operated by a single marklin keyboard connected to a 6021 control unit. Planning to make some changes and would like to be assured that I can program or reprogram different type signal masts with a single new 76395 unit. the other signals are 76391 or 76394.

Tex
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2016 23:10:56(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post
program or reprogram different type signal masts with a single new 76395 unit.

The question is not totally clear.

The 76395 can certainly have its addresses reprogrammed.
- 1 for the 2 aspect home masthead (same as a 76391)
- 1 or 2 for the 2/3 aspect distant masthead.

There is no capability for the home masthead of the 76395 to show either the 3 aspects of a home signal (like a 76393) or the 4 aspects with shunting (like 76394)

No 76394 capability on a dual masthead is available in the 763xx range
Peter
Offline Tex  
#3 Posted : 31 May 2016 02:37:14(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Thank you for the response. My question was basically asking if the different 763XX signals differ only in having different signal masts with common base units . If this is true I can reprogram any of the three types of signals that I have using the never installed 76395 signal base unit still in it's blister pack. This would allow me to keep the new base unit for future programing and to use the 76395 signal mast to upgrade a 76391 signal mast. Please note that there are no Marklin dealers anywhere near me so I use e-bay to purchase items and rely on people such as yourself for advice.

Tex
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2016 22:53:08(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
...My question was basically asking if the different 763XX signals differ only in having different signal masts with common base units

This is a a correct statement BUT

Quote:
If this is true I can reprogram any of the three types of signals ....

What Marklin were at pains to point out (12ish years ago in their prom and Marklin university training - for which you did an online course and got a certificate) is that the signal type ID is set within the mast head itself. The decoder reads this ID and sets itself up accordingly.

Quote:
This would allow me to keep the new base unit for future programing and to use the 76395 signal mast to upgrade a 76391 signal mast.

The concept of pre-configuring the ADDRESS on a separate unit is feasible. And as you are indicating it is a 2 address 76395 mast head then that may work.
If it was the other way around, a "setup" decoder with a signal address masthead, then the decoder will not ask you for the 2nd address during programming.

Peter
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2016 18:47:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
...My question was basically asking if the different 763XX signals differ only in having different signal masts with common base units

This is a a correct statement BUT

Quote:
If this is true I can reprogram any of the three types of signals ....

What Marklin were at pains to point out (12ish years ago in their prom and Marklin university training - for which you did an online course and got a certificate) is that the signal type ID is set within the mast head itself. The decoder reads this ID and sets itself up accordingly.

Quote:
This would allow me to keep the new base unit for future programing and to use the 76395 signal mast to upgrade a 76391 signal mast.

The concept of pre-configuring the ADDRESS on a separate unit is feasible. And as you are indicating it is a 2 address 76395 mast head then that may work.
If it was the other way around, a "setup" decoder with a signal address masthead, then the decoder will not ask you for the 2nd address during programming.

I don't think that what Tex is proposing to do will work, as my understanding is the base unit is the same for all that series signals, with the function of the mast being encoded in the mast, but the signal address is stored in the base unit.

So to bring a signal mast to a spare base unit to set up an address will not set the address of the base unit the mast will be plugged into on the layout. It will change the address stored in the spare base unit only. There is no option but to either lift each base unit in turn to put the programming clip on the bottom or to have a hole under the base unit to do the same thing while the base is in situ.
Offline Tex  
#6 Posted : 06 June 2016 03:55:04(UTC)
Tex

United States   
I believe it will work based on Chapter 8 Page 2 of the Marklin HO Signal book 03402 (2002 )

" if a mechanism is changed with a mast, then the complete mechanism reacts immediately to the new address stored in the new signal mast that has been mounted and connected to the mechanism "

In my research I believe I have uncovered the reason that I am having signal problems. I have been programing signal masts with a 6021 control unit connected to a keyboard connected to a memory unit. The memory unit should be disconnected during programing.

Tex
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 06 June 2016 19:29:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I believe it will work based on Chapter 8 Page 2 of the Marklin HO Signal book 03402 (2002 )

" if a mechanism is changed with a mast, then the complete mechanism reacts immediately to the new address stored in the new signal mast that has been mounted and connected to the mechanism "

In my research I believe I have uncovered the reason that I am having signal problems. I have been programing signal masts with a 6021 control unit connected to a keyboard connected to a memory unit. The memory unit should be disconnected during programing.

Tex

OK, I must admit I don't have direct experience with these units. The best you can do is try it.