Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#51 Posted : 24 May 2016 16:37:28(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
First video - this one shows the BR220 running through the main M track section of my layout, with smoke on.

Looks really good so far - your 31087 seems to run very nicely and I didn't see any indications of any current issues - both the sound and lights seemed very steady, even through the turnouts.

My interest grows! BigGrin

A new ESU 31031 arrived yesterday....I like it already. The sound and light functions are really good. It gave me a delightful shock when I saw the sparking lights in the engine room when the loco started. Then I realized, it is a product feature...
I like it...

Go for it Jim....I have been following this thread and read concerns about the loco functioning. My resolve was to hang on to these locos as displays at least if something goes wrong with the functions.
I have a bunch of Herpa Premium 1:200 Lufthansa and KLM models highly detailed, that dont fly BigGrin , my ESU locos will share the limelight along with them..
Enjoy the day and go buy the 31089, you wont be disappointed.

Thanks
Vijay
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline dickinsonj  
#52 Posted : 25 May 2016 02:01:32(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post

Go for it Jim....I have been following this thread and read concerns about the loco functioning. My resolve was to hang on to these locos as displays at least if something goes wrong with the functions.
Thanks
Vijay

I do believe that when my current reservation on the 31089 comes up I will go ahead. I will never know how nice an ESU lok can be until I actually have one. Thinking back on it, I have been a bit tough on the the ESU loks if the only issues are with current. As Bigdaddynz points out - they seem to require a good electrical supply to all of the track, but that is not unreasonable IMO. I have more than one Marklin lok that is very sensitive to current issues - two of which I use as testers to debug my track.Cool

I like all of the positive responses in this thread about the ESU V 200's. I really need a V 200 in that livery and it just seems like the ESU should be the one.BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline river6109  
#53 Posted : 25 May 2016 03:04:53(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm a bit disappointing with the reviews of some of the ESU locos and it looks like these faults, if you could call them faults, are not going away with later or new models, also some members here and on other forums do not have any problems with ESU locos they've bought, so I wonder how one loco to another can be so different in either driving characteristics, stopping at turnouts, smoke generator etc etc.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#54 Posted : 25 May 2016 03:46:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Second video of two.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#55 Posted : 25 May 2016 03:47:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how one loco to another can be so different in either driving characteristics, stopping at turnouts, smoke generator etc etc.

John

I agree - that is hard to understand. I am guessing that it must be related to a lack of sufficient quality control where they are made. I saw a post indicating that their loks are made in South Korea, but that alone should not be a problem. Many top level electronics are already made there, but perhaps ESU does not yet have a good handle on quality control with their vendors. Some people report that their ESU loks are essentially perfect and others have a whole string of issues and returns. Reading the stummi and ESU forums makes it clear that some of their products are definitely delivered with one or more serious defects.

One thing that has occurred to me is to take another look at where Marklin stands in comparison today. We all like to lament Marklin models not always having every feature and detail imaginable, but I very seldom wonder whether any Marklin models I consider will function properly. That is very important to me since I buy online from very far away and shipping costs are not insignificant. Marklin doesn't seem to reach as high as they did at one time and they might not aspire to ESU's levels of complexity, but their loks run very nicely, even without absolutely state of the art electronics or motors. I am thinking more kindly towards Marklin today and I will be very interesting to see what they offer next year.

As far as the ESU loks are concerned I guess I will vote with my credit card when I have to decide. I am glad that my reservation has not yet come up since I am still unsure whether to invest in an ESU V 200 or not. The features look wonderful and the detailing looks superb but I don't really want "yard queens" that just look pretty, I expect my loks to pull a nice consist reliably and smoothly, as all of my Marklin loks do.

Regards,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#56 Posted : 25 May 2016 03:54:10(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Second video of two.

I would be happy to have a V 200 that works as well as yours appears to David.

I assume that you are too.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#57 Posted : 25 May 2016 06:35:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, I'm happy with it although I'm yet to actually pull a train with it - some of those inclines on my layout will test it. Note that there are only 2 traction tyres on it, one on each bogie. Also note that I was running the loco at about 80% of maximum speed as I didn't want it stalling half way around.

Keep in mind that I had to do a bit of running with another loco first to clean the track - possibly the Lux cleaning cars might do a much better job of that if I had them. If you keep your track clean, there's no reason why they shouldn't work well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline river6109  
#58 Posted : 25 May 2016 06:58:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Yes, I'm happy with it although I'm yet to actually pull a train with it - some of those inclines on my layout will test it. Note that there are only 2 traction tyres on it, one on each bogie.

Keep in mind that I had to do a bit of running with another loco first to clean the track - possibly the Lux cleaning cars might do a much better job of that if I had them. If you keep your track clean, there's no reason why they shouldn't work well.

Dave, I've noticed lately especially with Roco locos the same happens there, they've reduced the amount of traction tyres but I usually and have done so with most Roco locos bought another axle with rubber tyres and exchanged it. its just a 2 minute job taken them out and put a new one in. I don't know how this would work with ESU locos and Märklin locos these days have just a cover like the others and you could exchange the axles if you wish to do so.
another benefit with Roco locos is there wheels insert is usually plastic and the axle itself has grooves and this makes it also easy to take them off and replace them without causing the wheel to be out of whack, this is when you just try to change one wheel.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#59 Posted : 25 May 2016 07:01:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You could use something like Bullfrog Snot to paint on some extra traction tyres!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#60 Posted : 25 May 2016 07:04:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I saw a post indicating that their loks are made in South Korea........

Yup, that was me and the information came to me from ebay dealer johnvandamme who also reckoned that the ESU locos were rubbish - this was in relation to the BR151 electric loco that ESU produced 3 or 4 years ago. On the surface of it I don't think he was correct, but we don't have the long term running experience to know if they will last 50 years like a Marklin loco does.

Offline H0  
#61 Posted : 25 May 2016 08:07:59(UTC)
H0

I saw a post indicating that their loks are made in South Korea........
Yup, that was me and the information came to me from ebay dealer johnvandamme who also reckoned that the ESU locos were rubbish - this was in relation to the BR151 electric loco that ESU produced 3 or 4 years ago. On the surface of it I don't think he was correct, but we don't have the long term running experience to know if they will last 50 years like a Marklin loco does.
Other rumours say they ESU locos came from the same plant that also makes Märklin locos.
We don't have much long-term experience with recent Märklin locomotives.

No spare parts for failing E 75 locos, the Seetal loco, the Trostberg loco. ESU surely do not have the reputation and long history of Märklin ...
With all brands we are guinea pigs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#62 Posted : 25 May 2016 12:00:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, well I was going to edit that post to read "last 50 years like an older Marklin loco does" (because I knew Tom would most likely say what he has said), however you're right we don't know for sure how long newer Marklin locos will last for.
Offline dickinsonj  
#63 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:17:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Yes, I'm happy with it although I'm yet to actually pull a train with it - some of those inclines on my layout will test it.

I really appreciate all of the great feedback that you are providing on your beautiful new V 220.

Yes - it will be interesting to see how it handles a train on your inclines. On the ESU forum some of their loks were reported to have significant traction problems, stalling on any real inclines when pulling more than just a few coaches. I don't know if that has been corrected or not.

I agree with Tom that we don't really know how long some of the newer Marklin locomotives will last. But I bought a V 200 and a VT 11.5 made in the last year and they seem as robust and well made as previous Marklin models were. I would be surprised if they don't run forever just like the older ones. I also agree that the lack of available spare parts is a concern with Marklin products today. Perhaps all of these will end being throw away items in the long term, not cherished collectables kept for many generations.
Regards,
Jim

Offline RayF  
#64 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:22:28(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Keeping spare parts for items which are out of production is a major headache for manufacturers in all fields.

I predict that the future requirements for spare parts will be met by independent small companies with the facilities to make the odd bits and pieces, perhaps using 3D printing technology.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#65 Posted : 25 May 2016 14:09:17(UTC)
H0

But I bought a V 200 and a VT 11.5 made in the last year and they seem as robust and well made as previous Marklin models were.
They both have the c90 motor that Märklin used for decades. And motor spare parts should be available for decades.

Märklin's 218 in H0 was a 2007 new item. Since then it came with three different types of motors. They even had to relocate the screws that hold the body to allow using larger and cheaper motors.
If you have one of the early models that require a small motor then you will have problems obtaining spare parts from Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#66 Posted : 25 May 2016 14:25:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
What Marklin needs to do is find a good all round motor to replace the DCM instead of getting sucked into "motor of the month" from the various electronics manufacturers.. THE SBB AM841 (or is it 481) motors being a good example of this practice..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#67 Posted : 25 May 2016 15:42:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
They both have the c90 motor that Märklin used for decades. And motor spare parts should be available for decades.

Yep - and that was a large part of my decision to buy them. My second oldest lok has pretty much that same motor and it has required nothing but cleaning, oiling and brushes. I did buy the 37565 crocodile double set before I understood where things stood in 2014 when they were made. Reading this forum has allowed me to educate myself about Marklin's recent history and I probably would not buy them again today, since they were quite expensive and I don't think that the motors are of very high quality. On the other hand they are very nicely detailed and they run well. If I have motor issues with them I would probably try to replace them with higher quality motors from someone else. I don't disagree with you Tom, things are not all perfect in the world of Marklin today but I think that if you buy with discretion you can still get some nice models.

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
What Marklin needs to do is find a good all round motor to replace the DCM instead of getting sucked into "motor of the month" from the various electronics manufacturers.. THE SBB AM841 (or is it 481) motors being a good example of this practice..

I think that this is an excellent idea Adrian. That would save Marklin money in the long run and make sparing drivetrain parts much simpler. I am one of those Luddites who actually like the c90 motors. They pull hard and run well with the newer electronics even if they are not at all sophisticated. They are noisy but I don't mind that because I often turn the operating sounds off when I am running multiple trains and on electrics and diesels the motor noise suffices for me.

I have read multiple posts on the ESU forum about poor pulling performance in ESU loks with supposedly high quality can motors (with two flywheels) and state of the art electronics, so it is hard to know for sure what is best to buy. I will be interested to hear what Dave has to say about how his new V 220 pulls.

I continue to learn and evolve, in large part due to the excellent advice I get on this forum.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by user 25 May 2016 22:32:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline hennabm  
#68 Posted : 25 May 2016 20:18:35(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I had 7 tin plate coached each with a lighting pick up fitted and my BR218 did have a couple of issues with them on starting off. That was without any incline. I put it down to me being a bit to ham fisted with filling the oil.

So I too will be interested in Dave's report on the pulling power of his BR220.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline RayF  
#69 Posted : 25 May 2016 20:22:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike, 7 tinplate coaches with pickup shoes is difficult even for my Marklin Br103!
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#70 Posted : 25 May 2016 23:34:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have read multiple posts on the ESU forum about poor pulling performance in ESU loks with supposedly high quality can motors (with two flywheels) and state of the art electronics, so it is hard to know for sure what is best to buy. I will be interested to hear what Dave has to say about how his new V 220 pulls.

Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
So I too will be interested in Dave's report on the pulling power of his BR220.

With regard to the traction / pulling ability of ESU locos those folks on the ESU forum may not be aware that the issues are not neccessarily of a mechancial nature, rather they could be symptomatic of decoder power issues. I know I tried some Bullfrog Snot on my ESU BR215 to add extra traction tyres but that made no difference.

I'd recommend that you read Monster's posts (especially #16 and #20) in the following thread as to how he resolved the pulling / traction issues on his BR215. I haven't done this on mine as yet, but have every intention of doing so.

https://www.marklin-user...s/t31070-ESU-locomotives
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline xxup  
#71 Posted : 26 May 2016 01:11:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
So are these things suitable for M-track? I can see David's train run around the layout at 80% speed, but will it do normal things on m-track? (e.g. run slow over a double-slip turnout and not derail on a curved turnout in both directions..)
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline dickinsonj  
#72 Posted : 26 May 2016 01:16:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I'd recommend that you read Monster's posts (especially #16 and #20) in the following thread as to how he resolved the pulling / traction issues on his BR215. I haven't done this on mine as yet, but have every intention of doing so.

Thanks for that link again - I had read it when you posted it a while back but I had forgotten the details. I did remember Monster's changes to the smoke characteristics and that sounds like the way I would want mine to function as well, especially if it improves the current to the motor.

I like to fiddle about with the details but I am a bit surprised that they are delivered with the wrong files loaded and that you have to load files from their website and customize CVs to get them to run right.

A question: Are the CV values discussed by Monster accessible with a CS2 or only with a LokProgrammer? I have not yet done any conversions with sound, so I have not invested in a LokProgrammer yet. I am guessing that loading the files from ESU might be a LokProgrammer only kind of thing, like loading new sounds.

Thanks,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#73 Posted : 26 May 2016 03:01:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
They use an ESU Loksound 4 decoder, so will be fully programmable with a LokProgrammer. A CS2 may be able to program some but not necessarily all CV's.

You will need a Lokprogrammer to be able to upload new files. Keep in mind that our (Monster and mine) BR215 use Loksound 3.5 decoders, so the issues identified might be fixed with the v4 decoders.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#74 Posted : 26 May 2016 03:03:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
So are these things suitable for M-track? I can see David's train run around the layout at 80% speed, but will it do normal things on m-track? (e.g. run slow over a double-slip turnout and not derail on a curved turnout in both directions..)

Haven't tried it yet, but it goes through C track points and M track curved points set to curved without issue.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#75 Posted : 26 May 2016 09:05:25(UTC)
H0

A CS2 may be able to program some but not necessarily all CV's.
The CS2 should be able to access all CVs - at least when mfx is disabled in either the CS2 or the loco.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#76 Posted : 26 May 2016 13:29:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The CS2 should be able to access all CVs - at least when mfx is disabled in either the CS2 or the loco.

Thanks Tom - that is good to know. I don't need a pretty GUI to change CVs, just have access to them. I don't know how to disable mfx in either one yet but I will figure that out. My lok that I put a LokPilot V 4.0 in registered as a DCC with my CS2, so maybe I wouldn't have to do anything.

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#77 Posted : 26 May 2016 19:11:23(UTC)
H0

My lok that I put a LokPilot V 4.0 in registered as a DCC with my CS2, so maybe I wouldn't have to do anything.
ESU V4 M4 has mfx (ESU calls it M4). ESU V4 does not have mfx.
ESU decoders you get with Piko and ESU locomotives (and until some time ago with Brawa locos) have M4 aka mfx.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#78 Posted : 26 May 2016 22:25:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
ESU decoders you get with Piko and ESU locomotives (and until some time ago with Brawa locos) have M4 aka mfx.

KM-1 also use Loksound XL M4 decoders in their 1 Gauge locos.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#79 Posted : 28 May 2016 02:44:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
A couple photos of the 31087 BR220 I took this morning...

IMG_2685s.jpg

IMG_2700s.jpg
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#80 Posted : 28 May 2016 02:51:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And for comparison purposes, here's a photo of my Marklin 39803 BR220...

DSC00020s.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline NZMarklinist  
#81 Posted : 28 May 2016 05:20:40(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
You could use something like Bullfrog Snot to paint on some extra traction tyres!

Nope, John's approach is the best. I was having what seemed to be connectivity trouble with my M37900 V90 that has traction tyres on all axles with it's first decoder upgrade, (ESU V3) so I bought some un tyred axles from Marlklin but when I changed the decoder to a V4 all the problems disappeared. It has Telex and Double "A" shunting lights, sounds etc. Wink

So I now have some spare axles to play around with for M V90/290's but I have three examples Blushing

And yes I know I should do a video. specially since I, now finally, have a tripod Blushing

Gee I hope My ESU V200 if and when I get it, is not a problem child Scared
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Goofy  
#82 Posted : 29 May 2016 14:41:33(UTC)
Goofy

There is now download manual sheet of the ESU steam locomotive BR 94!
29 digital functions!!! Blink
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Goofy  
#83 Posted : 13 June 2016 09:26:31(UTC)
Goofy

There is some notice you should think about the ESU locomotives.
The power cap seems not working very well for the three rail.
There is reports about problems with the capacitor.
It don´t work really it should do.
It happens by use MM protocol while with the DCC it works better.
Why it happens so,i don´t know exactly.
H0
Offline H0  
#84 Posted : 13 June 2016 11:03:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I didn't have problems yet.
Can you provide some links for further information?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#85 Posted : 13 June 2016 18:35:33(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I didn't have problems yet.
Can you provide some links for further information?

I do visit youtube sometimes by check new train models.
A guy did reported about ESU:
It won´t power for 2,5-3 seconds in ideal conditions.When the volume is at high,all lights and specially the smoke unit going,it only will supply power for a fraction of second.Someone tested in real conditions ,that "power pack" unit it also momentarily shorts going in a reverse look in DCC.Of course it won´t do it Märklin 3 rail system.These are very minor issues with these ESU loks.
H0
Offline torerr  
#86 Posted : 29 April 2017 14:47:52(UTC)
torerr

China   
I just got my forst ESU 31080 lok and it is a reslly nice piece of engineering. Just one thing i would like to get some suggestions to : the pick-up shoe is exstremly noisy. I have never heard such racket from any of my Marklin lokos. What to do?
Offline H0  
#87 Posted : 29 April 2017 18:41:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: torerr Go to Quoted Post
the pick-up shoe is exstremly noisy.
Normally those slider are very quiet. Maybe it is bent out of shape, maybe it is not installed correctly, maybe the rattling sound has a different origin.

Would you post a picture of the slider?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline torerr  
#88 Posted : 30 April 2017 04:22:52(UTC)
torerr

China   
Here are some photos of the loko with the pick-up shoe. IMG_5304.JPGIMG_5295.JPGIMG_5302.JPGIMG_5299.JPG
Offline H0  
#89 Posted : 30 April 2017 08:08:01(UTC)
H0

Thanks for the photos, will have to compare with my ESU loco sliders.

The slider shows use only at the beginning and the end. And probably that causes the noise.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#90 Posted : 30 April 2017 11:05:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There's definitely a concave curve in that slider. You can try to bend it outwards in the middle so that the centre section bears on the studs.
Ray
Offline torerr  
#91 Posted : 30 April 2017 11:10:55(UTC)
torerr

China   
or maybe you know where i could order a new one?
Offline Goofy  
#92 Posted : 07 May 2017 10:09:37(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: torerr Go to Quoted Post
or maybe you know where i could order a new one?

Maybe this can help you?
www.esu.eu/vertrieb/haendlersuche

H0
Offline peterna  
#93 Posted : 07 May 2017 13:11:19(UTC)
peterna

Australia   
I have a ESU 31089 V200, 31064 V60 and a 31121 E94.

All are exquisite in their details and functions. All run perfectly, but as with all newer Marklin locos, there is a requirement for clean tracks and good power supply. Mine are controlled by the 1st series ECos on C track.

All the earlier ESU locos have two spring steel loops which produces the points noise etc. There is a recommendation if used on Marklin track to remove these. You do lose that function.

The E94 pulls 24 wagons from the 00722 set easily up all of my inclines including a Radius 2 helix with three loops and the V200 pulls 6 passenger coaches as wellBigGrin .
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#94 Posted : 25 October 2017 06:13:36(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I just bought an ESU 31018 BR 215. As soon as the salesperson showed me the sound and smoke functions, I was hooked line and sinker. But it only came with German instruction manual and I need the English version. I have searched ESU website under both Engineering Editions and Former Locomotives but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where can I find it? BTW, I'm using MS2. Thanks.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MKOpSeattle
Offline Goofy  
#95 Posted : 25 October 2017 09:20:42(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I just bought an ESU 31018 BR 215. As soon as the salesperson showed me the sound and smoke functions, I was hooked line and sinker. But it only came with German instruction manual and I need the English version. I have searched ESU website under both Engineering Editions and Former Locomotives but couldn't find it. Does anyone know where can I find it? BTW, I'm using MS2. Thanks.

ESU homepage -> click on the downloads -> choice the language by click on the flag.

H0
Offline xpsensation  
#96 Posted : 25 October 2017 23:07:20(UTC)
xpsensation

Canada   
I too recently purchased an ESU loco (Class 265 HO). It runs great (i have also just purchased the ECOS 50210). It also came with a German only manual. When I look on the ESU site under Downloads/Instructions Manuals / ESU Engineering Edition the only seem to have English manuals for Class66/67, V200, Club car and EHG 388. Is there someplace else to look?

Thanks
Offline applor  
#97 Posted : 26 October 2017 01:37:33(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I'm keen to get my hands on the BR94, though they are quite pricey so I can't justify the cost at this stage.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline hennabm  
#98 Posted : 26 October 2017 17:49:23(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
The manuals are not all in English and only those that have been listed so far appear to be translated.

Apart from the history of the particular class of engine eg V200, 218 etc there seems little difference in the operation of the smoke and the digital extras like the lights.

I downloaded the V200 one to give me some understanding of the operation of my 32025 218 in terms of functions and smoke operation.

PS. I have had a smoke issue since it was new. It would smoke from underneath rather than the exhausts. At the M Treff I spoke to the ESU rep about it. He asked me to send him an email and I now have a new smoke unit to fit, free of charge.
Thank you ESU, you have been very helpful. Mind you they did not answer my previous e mails to their general site and just referred me to the forum (in German).

Anyway all sorted now.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline Dave Banks  
#99 Posted : 26 October 2017 22:10:04(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Well this locomotive "the Voith Gravita" in MRCE livery has definitely got my attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwPD1pgm4CA
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#100 Posted : 27 October 2017 00:22:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
I have had a smoke issue since it was new. It would smoke from underneath rather than the exhausts.

On my BR215, one or more exhausts might get an air bubble in the smoke fluid which blocks the exhaust. Blowing down the exhaust usually fixes the problem.