Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pierobon  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2016 15:58:00(UTC)
Pierobon

Brazil   
So, today I unpacked my new 76491 signal and went on to test it.
After quite some fight with the double-red-wire without connectors cable (how the hack do you fix them under the track?), I finally made it work with my simple mobile station 2. YAY, lets make it control the train now...

First surprise: when the signal is red, it just makes that track segment dead. Meaning: as soon as the loco enters the signal block, it dies and stops instantly.
Come on, this thing was quite expensive, how can it work so darn simple like an on-off switch?
After being pissed off for a while, let's move on... and try to make the Swtitch-track (24994) operate the signal, so when the following track block is cleared, the next train will have a green light to proceed.

Then, second surprise:
There is simply no documentation saying where I must connect the switch to the signal!
AAAy just want to cry now, blaaaaah

What can I do, please, some-1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Pierobon
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2016 16:08:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Pierobon Go to Quoted Post
First surprise: when the signal is red, it just makes that track segment dead.
The solution is a braking module Märklin 72442 or compatible third-party modules.

There is simply no documentation saying where I must connect the switch to the signal!
The circuit track works like a standard control box - and standard control boxes cannot be used with that professional signal.
Get a CS3 and an L88 and you can easily make the circuit track trigger the signal.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2016 16:43:56(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
First surprise: when the signal is red, it just makes that track segment dead.
The solution is a braking module Märklin 72442 or compatible third-party modules.

The circuit track works like a standard control box - and standard control boxes cannot be used with that professional signal.
Get a CS3 and an L88 and you can easily make the circuit track trigger the signal.

The fella was a bit disappointed with what he got for 75euros.

Perhaps the suggestion that he could spend another 800euros to make it work might not go down too well!!!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 May 2016 16:55:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the suggestion that he could spend another 800euros to make it work might not go down too well!!!
Maybe other forum members can suggest cheaper solutions.
There are cheaper solutions if you buy non-Märklin items. One could begin with a non-Märklin signal or get older Märklin signals.

Some folks buy Märklin only so I focused on Märklin items that are not discontinued.

It does not harm to ask questions on this forum before making purchase decisions.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2016 01:02:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's important to find out how these accessories work before making a decision on what to buy.

The train control function on all signals works by switching off the current in a section of track. The only way around this is to install a braking module.

The question of automatic train control using circuit tracks or switch tracks is more complex. I believe that what Pierobon is trying to do is best achieved using analogue signals. These are available from other suppliers such as Viessmann, or using older Marklin analogue signals. The only way to do this using digital signals is with a more powerful controller and using a feedback module to tell it when to trigger the signal, as Tom has pointed out.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Roland  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2016 05:01:17(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I was under the impression you can use train controlling software to accomplish this without the need for braking modules?
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2016 07:44:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
I was under the impression you can use train controlling software to accomplish this without the need for braking modules?
Yes, sure. But the MS2 does not work with PC control out of the box.

And not everybody wants PC control, but some want smooth braking without PC control. Braking modules are redundant for some, but not for all.

Using a PC and e.g. a Tams Master Control one could use this signal with circuit tracks and smooth braking without braking modules.
PC plus software plus new controller (Tams Master Control or whatever) plus feedback decoders will still cost a few extra bucks.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Online kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2016 08:24:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Pier and others,

I would like to buy into this query or argument, with a little rant if I may.

Yes, I think Pier's problem is often typical for those who have to purchase Maerklin at a distance, or who are given incorrect information from, or are misled by, a Maerklin dealer.

And to be honest, I believe Pier's question asks Maerklin to answer some really straight questions!!!!!!!
And those questions deserve answers - in my opinion.

It appears to me that many of Maerklins customers are electronics hobbyists, and not necessarily railway-interested hobbyists.
I make no judgment about that aspect because both deserve to enjoy the hobby, but Pier's questions do deserve answers for many who are not electronics hobbyists. Are the electronics hobbyists the only ones who deserve automatic functioning layouts???

Maerklin are an electronics manufacturer or integrator, and can technically offer integrated solutions, that satisfy a railway-interested hobbyist. Maerklin (along with most model train manufacturers) just offer bits that "somehow" work together.
Come on Maerklin, give us some integrated solutions, and not just memory chips, electronic switches, and programmeable logic devices that require some fore-knowledge to get working.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2016 08:41:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Come on Maerklin, give us some integrated solutions, and not just memory chips, electronic switches, and programmeable logic devices that require some fore-knowledge to get working.
Märklin's documentation is a problem.
You can download most of it before you buy the item, but you have to look at many PDF files to find out how they work together.

In the case of this topic, the items are not meant to work together.

In an ideal world there would be a huge PDF, available for free, updated frequently, that explains all the items and how they work together.

In this not so ideal world you can buy books that are incomplete - and probably already outdated when you buy them as they are composed from older magazine articles.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 15 May 2016 21:31:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The operation of the new signals is explained reasonably well in the latest catalogue.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#11 Posted : 15 May 2016 21:59:07(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Märklin's documentation is a problem.
You can download most of it before you buy the item, but you have to look at many PDF files to find out how they work together.

In the case of this topic, the items are not meant to work together.

In an ideal world there would be a huge PDF, available for free, updated frequently, that explains all the items and how they work together.

In this not so ideal world you can buy books that are incomplete - and probably already outdated when you buy them as they are composed from older magazine articles.

That's something I've been having problems.with for the past 46 years: marklin's incomplete and not so useful instruction sheets

Regards
Carlos

My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 17 May 2016 20:14:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The operation of the new signals is explained reasonably well in the latest catalogue.

To assist selling signals, a short PDF (longer than the 2-3 page PDF in German : https://www.maerklin.de/...inDigital_MM_2015_04.pdf ) on how to use the assortment of signals in a layout and what they do in the various ways you can use them - that would help.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Timnomads  
#13 Posted : 18 May 2016 09:46:06(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi
I found this PDF on my hard drive (English) I hope it gives a bit more clarity
Tim SignalManual.pdf (1,568kb) downloaded 186 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Hoffmann  
#14 Posted : 18 May 2016 20:01:28(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi,

I do not understand why one would have a Problem with this Signal. It can be operated ---Digital or with Circuit Track or Pushbuttons--- . All you have to do look at the Instructions which come with the Signal

( Page 8 and Page 9 ).

Further there is a complete write up for these Signals in the Insider Magazines from the Year 2005/1/2/3'

Also have a look here:

http://www.polar.sunynas...u/~fanellis/signals.html

Regards Martin
marklin-eh
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:52:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hoffmann Go to Quoted Post
I do not understand why one would have a Problem with this Signal. It can be operated ---Digital or with Circuit Track or Pushbuttons--- . All you have to do look at the Instructions which come with the Signal

Further there is a complete write up for these Signals in the Insider Magazines from the Year 2005/1/2/3'
This signal this thread is all about is a 2013 new item. It cannot be operated from normal push buttons, it cannot be operated from circuit tracks.
The signal does not have solenoids, it has a decoder.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Hoffmann  
#16 Posted : 18 May 2016 22:58:42(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hello Tom,

I do respect your opinion however I am well aware that this is a Signal with a Decoder . What makes you say that it can not be contolled with a Pushbutton or Contact Track please explain.

Marklin makes a Controlbox for this type of Signal # 72760 . I am also convinced that someone smarter then myself will come up with a solution to operate these Signals with a contact track.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2016 08:17:30(UTC)
H0

Marklin makes a Controlbox for this type of Signal # 72760 . I am also convinced that someone smarter then myself will come up with a solution to operate these Signals with a contact track.
I am not convinced about that.

Peter Clapcott reviewed the 72760:
https://www.marklin-user...1-72760-Shock#post503061

So the 72760 is rather a Delta Control for four turnouts and not a simple control box. Circuit tracks and contact tracks do not easily fit into the picture.
There is a reason why you can get three 72720 for the price of one 72760.

Until I see a simple solution, I assume there is no simple solution for this case.
Older signals with decoders had inputs for analogue control boxes - these new decoders seem to have lost those analogue inputs.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 22 May 2016 22:11:33(UTC)
H0

I am also convinced that someone smarter then myself will come up with a solution to operate these Signals with a contact track.
Post #2 shows a solution for circuit tracks that would also work for contact tracks.
Maybe someone smarter than myself will come up with a cheaper solution.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline waorb  
#19 Posted : 25 May 2016 20:23:46(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Pierobon.
How are you? I would say Welcome, since there isn't too many Marklinists from Brazil here... ThumpUp

First surprise: when the signal is red, it just makes that track segment dead. Meaning: as soon as the loco enters the signal block, it dies and stops instantly.

Well, this is the expected behavior. Blink

Quote:

let's move on... and try to make the Swtitch-track (24994) operate the signal, so when the following track block is cleared, the next train will have a green light to proceed.

Err, maybe you're missing some another requirements... To use the 24994 you also need at least one S88 and one K83 boxes. But on this case MS2 cannot control it. As far as I know, only with CS1/2/3.

To directly switch your signal (i.e. manually), you cannot use the 24994. Instead, you need a control box 72760.

I don't have a MS2 (I have 2 MS1 and a CS2), so another coleagues could answer better.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 25 May 2016 20:28:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: waorb Go to Quoted Post
To directly switch your signal (i.e. manually), you cannot use the 24994. Instead, you need a control box 72751.
The cheap 72751 won't work, but the more expensive 72760 can be used.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#21 Posted : 30 June 2016 03:55:16(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
There is often confusion about how signals should work, this confusion comes from various sources and the fact that most people run model trains in extremely unprototypical ways, and that makes toy manufacturers produce products that work how people play with their trains rather than prototypically. Signals that switch off the current in a track section is a perfect example of the above.

In the prototype signals do NOT control trains, or tell the train driver to go. They only indicate that the train driver should not enter when red, or to only go slowly. Often the exit signal of a station is green long before the train departs. Departure is controlled by the dispatcher and train driver's schedule.
When manufacturers make signals stop trains and start them again by switching off and on the power, they have produced a toy that kids use to run their trains.
What happens next is that people want it to work in a better way, such as the original post. Then others suggest additional products to try and resolve the original implementation.

If you want signals to work in a more prototypical manner, you have to treat them as cosmetic devices. In other words they are just lights (or semaphore arms) that show some signal aspects. i.e. they do not switch any power on or off and control any trains. The switching of the signal aspects can be done digitally and we can simply not use the 'functionality' of switching track power.
Now, to get the trains to honor the signal aspects displayed, they have to be controlled so that they can stop and start correctly. The trains can also controlled digitally. Digitally controlled trains and signals can be directed manually or using automation software. If you opt for manual control, you set the signal and run the train appropriately by adjusting its speed.

Automated control requires software, which controls the digital layout can make everything work correctly. (Such as not allowing a trains to pass a red signal).
This software can be in some controller, or an external computer (PC/ Mac/smart phone/cloud) it makes no difference, other than the quality of the software.

There is no need to introduce analog control methods (such as braking modules) to the digital system, doing so just makes the situation even more complex, expensive, and hard to control because now you have both digital and analog control systems and neither is in full control.

In order to control the train properly the software needs to know where the train is, so it needs feedback from the layout. This is done using s88 (or compatible modules) so that the software can 'know' when the train has reached certain points along the track. The train can thus be made to slow down gently, run through, or accelerate as needed. Once that is working, good software can combine the train route with the setting of signals along the route, and it can set the signals and control the train in a realistic manner.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 30 June 2016 11:19:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The cost of buying a laptop/PC and appropriate software would more than outweigh the cost of buying braking modules.

While Dale's post suggests that there is only one absolute way to use signals on a layout, the reality is that each person needs to be comfortable with and understand the technology they are using and configure their layouts to suit themselves and their abilities - there is no right or wrong in this regard.

Sure, Dale's method is more realistic and closer to how real railway signalling is done, but we can never fully replicate reality in our modelling - otherwise we would have 12 metres between our signals and their associated distant signals to represent 1 kilometre in 1:87 scale, and I'm sure not many people have that space on their layouts.

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
To assist selling signals, a short PDF (longer than the 2-3 page PDF in German : https://www.maerklin.de/...inDigital_MM_2015_04.pdf ) on how to use the assortment of signals in a layout and what they do in the various ways you can use them - that would help.

To help with Pierobon's question, I've attached the English version of this article (which appeared in the 05/2015 edition of the English version of the Marklin Magazine) to this post.

Marklin Magazine 2015-5.pdf (1,699kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#23 Posted : 02 July 2016 01:40:53(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

Hi all
My 50 cents on the subject, the best solution will be a computer as Dale suggests, I can't imagine anyone not having at least one these days. Then there are many ways to almost control everything from signals to turnouts, locos etc even with the cheap MS2 and a $20 canbus shield on a arduino board. Great Free software like Rocrail or Desktop station exists and can make wonders. Perhaps not for everyone but can be done with a little support. I will be happy to provide some more information if anyone wishes to give it a try. You can send a PM or mail at sviw@raag.org

Regards Manos SV1IW
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 05 July 2016 02:51:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

So, today I unpacked my new 76491 signal and went on to test it.
After quite some fight with the double-red-wire without connectors cable (how the hack do you fix them under the track?), I finally made it work with my simple mobile station 2. YAY, lets make it control the train now...

Come on, this thing was quite expensive, how can it work so darn simple like an on-off switch?
After being pissed off for a while, let's move on... and try to make the Swtitch-track (24994) operate the signal, so when the following track block is cleared, the next train will have a green light to proceed.

Then, second surprise:
There is simply no dgave you the link to the english versionocumentation saying where I must connect the switch to the signal!
AAAy just want to cry now, blaaaaah

What can I do, please, some-1

Are you aware that you got with the 76491 a brand new signal for digital use with its own decoder? No external decoder, no switch necessary, if you use it with the attached digital decoder and its functions and the MS2.

This means you have several possibilities to connect it with the tracks. But the quickiest, easiest and best way is, for a C-track, to program it (it needs a cv address for your MS2 and for the selected function keys) and connect the decoder with the delivered materials and built it in your c-track to get the electricity and the digital orders. That is it. No cables outside the c-tracks. No switch box. No external decoder. It is similar to the built in decoder 74461 for the c-track turnouts.

The 764xx signals are completely different to all the other signal generations before. This stands in the article of the Maerklin Magazin 2015-5 which bigdaddynyz has set up the link in his answer for the english version.

If you want to control it analog or with a seperate electric circuit (beside your MS2), then this will be a completely different story.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#25 Posted : 05 July 2016 05:36:31(UTC)
Goofy

The cheaper way is to buy Viessmann signals!
Viessmann do have semaphore which are more cheaper than Märklins!
Viessmann do also have color signals and use theirs signal modul,you will get close same effect like Märklins when the light simulate like prototype.
And yet more cheaper than Märklins expensive mfx signals!!

ThumpUp
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#26 Posted : 06 July 2016 04:55:41(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

Not to pour gas on the fire but I do have a related question:

- as I bring myself out of the stone age on Marklin signalling, I find myself yearning for a system that functions as the old style 70XX signals did, however operating as such on a digital system (I don't mind doing analogue-style wiring) but NOT killing the locomotives at the stop points, since restarting some of these newer decoders takes all sorts of time in addition to speeding up/slowing down.

- Do any of the current signal lines allow this without A: immense cost and B: computer control? If so, can anyone point me towards some schematics or similar?

Any advice is appreciated! Braking modules seem promising but also require computer programming?

SBB Era 2-5
Offline Minok  
#27 Posted : 07 July 2016 00:29:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Unless you want to model modern sentinel type systems like Positive Train Control or similar - where running past a signal will have the track-side equipment bring the train to a halt..... there the control of track power by the signal can mimic that behavior a bit. But I'd not recomend that approach - I'm going all digital but can appreciate the old analog/power switching solutions being good for the use they were intended for.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Johnvr  
#28 Posted : 07 July 2016 09:30:47(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone,

Not to pour gas on the fire but I do have a related question:

- as I bring myself out of the stone age on Marklin signalling, I find myself yearning for a system that functions as the old style 70XX signals did, however operating as such on a digital system (I don't mind doing analogue-style wiring) but NOT killing the locomotives at the stop points, since restarting some of these newer decoders takes all sorts of time in addition to speeding up/slowing down.

- Do any of the current signal lines allow this without A: immense cost and B: computer control? If so, can anyone point me towards some schematics or similar?

Any advice is appreciated! Braking modules seem promising but also require computer programming?

Hi all,

You have to have Signals and Braking Delays on your layout !

On my layout, I have 10 x Marklin 7039 Signals. Yes, the good old fashioned Marklin signals, most of them probably 25 years old by now.

The 7039 signals are operated by k83 decoders, so they can be controlled from the Central Station, and in addition can be activated by contact tracks and s88 modules. (Signal Yellow and blue wires). Alternately, they could be operated by manual box switches in analog mode, if that is your preference.

The signal's current feeder wires (Signal Red Wires) are connected to the Braking Delay Relay.
The Braking Delay Relay switches the circuit board between "Go" and "Slow Down".
The Braking Delay always provides current to the locomotives on the track, so you continue to have lights shining, smoke smoking, sounds, etc while the train is at the station.

The Braking Delays are home made based on the original design by Huib Maaskant.
They can be built using simple electronic components.

You can see the result in a video here :
John Trains Braking System

Here are instructions which I wrote out for my system :
Braking Delay Instructions.doc (457kb) downloaded 191 time(s).

If you need more detailed information, please PM me.

Regards,
John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr