Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 16 June 2015 20:15:47(UTC)
Goofy

Do anyone have ESU locomotives and use MS2?
I´m thinking about to order one model,to test it with the mfx light signal.
So i wonder if anyone are happy with ESU models to use it...?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline taliesin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2015 22:08:19(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
I didn't know ESU made locomotives. I have a HAG Gtw fitted with an ESU mix compatible chip (m4) and it works fine with my MS2, hope this helps, regards Rob
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2015 22:16:25(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: taliesin Go to Quoted Post
I didn't know ESU made locomotives. I have a HAG Gtw fitted with an ESU mix compatible chip (m4) and it works fine with my MS2, hope this helps, regards Rob

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/engineering-edition/
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline taliesin  
#4 Posted : 16 June 2015 23:04:01(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: taliesin Go to Quoted Post

http://www.esu.eu/en/products/engineering-edition/

Thanks, I live and learn Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2015 00:19:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
So i wonder if anyone are happy with ESU models to use it...?
I have some ESU locomotives and I am happy with them. I tested some of them with an MS2 without any problems.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2015 07:21:23(UTC)
Goofy

Thank you for the answers!
I order one ESU model.
H0
Offline hennabm  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2015 09:10:33(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I keep looking at the 218 model, mainly because I like the smoke effect on them.
I've seen an ESU in operation from Nigel Packer with the smoke and it is very realistic.BigGrin

One day, one day.........

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline fhp2  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2015 12:25:38(UTC)
fhp2

France   
Hello,
I have a bunch of ESU engines. For me they are by far the best you can find on the market :
- great detailed bodies
- very good engine running very smoothly at low speed
- all are equipped with the extra power feature to offset power pickup issues.
- great decoder fully loaded with functions and easy to program...
I highly recommend these engines even more than marlin ones...!
Francois.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by fhp2
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2016 07:39:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 03 May 2016 19:01:48(UTC)
Goofy

A tip:
Go to CV adress 28 and set RailCom to zero value.
This to avoid trouble shot by use M4 and MS2.
H0
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 03 May 2016 19:36:33(UTC)
H0

Go to CV adress 28 and set RailCom to zero value.
This to avoid trouble shot by use M4 and MS2.
I never did that. Why do you think it makes a difference?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 03 May 2016 21:47:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Neither have I! They tell you to disable Railcom on the ECoS/CS1R if m4 is used, but never on the loco.
H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 07 May 2016 01:20:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I find the ESU loks very interesting and I would definitely like to try one out.

Finding dealers that sell them in the US though has been impossible for me - many places list them as not being able to be imported to the US. Maybe a license issue or something? They are beautiful and we know that they have the best electronics, so I would be really interested in giving one of these a go.

I don't see these as replacing my Marklin addiction, but just adding to it on the top end, where Marklin won't go right now.

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2016 02:08:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have an ESU 31087 BR220 (V200) on route to me from Modellbahn Lippe in Germany. Looking forward to getting it and seeing how it compares to my ESU BR215.

Jim, you could either look to source an ESU loco from Germany, or talk to Matt at ESU USA - https://www.facebook.com...okSound-147086981998736/
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 07 May 2016 02:15:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I have an ESU 31087 BR220 (V200) on route to me from Modellbahn Lippe in Germany.

Nice! That is my first choice too - I need to follow up with Matt.

Thanks for the information,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline hennabm  
#16 Posted : 08 May 2016 15:01:18(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I did buy the 32025 BR218.

I like it and it is certainly a nice model. I also love the smoke affect. Why doesn't offer this one their 216/218 models?

It can be seen running on the videos of the last M club meeting at Ian's.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 08 May 2016 19:46:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I saw an ESU Br218 in TEE colours (32027) at MBS-L in Luxembourg on my visit last month. I have to say it looked very nice, though a touch on the expensive side compared to Marklin Br218 locos.

I was definitely tempted, but I had gone with the intention of buying a new MS2 and walked out of the shop with a complete starter set instead, so I was loath to spend another few hundred Euros on a locomotive.

Maybe next time....

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 11 May 2016 01:59:48(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have an ESU 31087 BR220 (V200) on route to me from Modellbahn Lippe in Germany.

David - I have a Marklin 37801 in that livery, so I am reserving an ESU 31089, since I really like the earlier full lettering on the body. Neither could possibly be a bad choice and I am getting it from Lippe too, which is a wonderful resource. Thanks for that input!

I am really looking forward to seeing how it compares with my 37801. I like my Marklin VT 200.0 quite a bit and I believe that it was a solid value. But I have to think that all of the premium features in the ESU lok will make it truly special indeed.

Best Regards,

Jim

Edited by user 11 May 2016 22:52:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline vnangli  
#19 Posted : 11 May 2016 21:37:04(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Does ESU 31080 have the full lettering (DEUTSCHE BAHN......) as raised characters as against the paint on Marklin 37805? May be dickinsonj has done some research into this.
I would appreciate if any proud owner can post some pictures....

Thanks
Offline dickinsonj  
#20 Posted : 11 May 2016 22:48:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Does ESU 31080 have the full lettering (DEUTSCHE BAHN......) as raised characters as against the paint on Marklin 37805?

Judging from the images that I found online it does appear that the "DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN " lettering is raised from the body and not just painted on, as the road number above it clearly is. Do a Google image search and see if you agree. The description from ESU mentions that the silver band between the red and gray on the body is raised on this livery as opposed to just paint on the later livery with the DB cookie. It does not mention the side lettering however. I like my 37801 but it seems like the detailing on the ESU V200's is much finer overall.

It also has finely detailed roof fans with blades under the gratings, higher quality engine room detailing, cab lights, engine room lights and a well detailed cab with a lighted control panel. It has a high quality, 5 pole, skew wound can motor with 2 flywheels driving 3 axles, two independently controlled smoke generators (with fans), a LokSound V4.0 decoder with 2 speakers (with a digitalized recording of an actual Maybach engine in a V200), and a power pack capacitor. The cost is about 30% more than the Marklin V200, but the features are far ahead of anything that Marklin makes today, at least as far as I know. It will be interesting to see if Marklin decides to compete with ESU or just cede the high end to them.

The 31089 is listed as available third quarter of this year and I will post some images after I get mine.

Regards,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 12 May 2016 00:58:55(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Here are some images of the lettering from a prototype on the ESU site. It might just be thicker paint - it is hard to be sure.

http://www.esu.eu/upload..._Einfuellstuetzen_01.jpg
http://www.esu.eu/upload...allery/Schriftzug_01.jpg
Regards,
Jim

Offline vnangli  
#22 Posted : 12 May 2016 18:17:44(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Here are some images of the lettering from a prototype on the ESU site. It might just be thicker paint - it is hard to be sure.

http://www.esu.eu/upload..._Einfuellstuetzen_01.jpg
http://www.esu.eu/upload...allery/Schriftzug_01.jpg

Jim,
Got some good news, these letters are raised..And not thick paint.
There is no end to our desires, I thought for a second that this model would be even beautiful if those letters were to have a glossy/shiny touch..BigGrin

This model sure leaves Marklin 37805 behind by miles when it comes to the level of details.

I received one few minutes ago from a dealer in Chicago..Brand new.

Vijay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline dickinsonj  
#23 Posted : 12 May 2016 19:46:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Jim,
There is no end to our desires, I thought for a second that this model would be even beautiful if those letters were to have a glossy/shiny touch..BigGrin

This model sure leaves Marklin 37805 behind by miles when it comes to the level of details.

Vijay

Thanks for that info Vijay - now I am looking forward to getting one even more. The raised lettering shows how far ESU goes to achieve a high level of accuracy in their models. I have not yet actually seen an ESU lok but I can tell that it will be gorgeous and the technical specs seem amazing. You are right, there is no end to our desires in our trains!

Once you get a chance to explore it more please let us know what you think!

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline vnangli  
#24 Posted : 12 May 2016 20:45:41(UTC)
vnangli

United States   

Jim,

Vijay

Thanks for that info Vijay - now I am looking forward to getting one even more. The raised lettering shows how far ESU goes to achieve a high level of accuracy in their models. I have not yet actually seen an ESU lok but I can tell that it will be gorgeous and the technical specs seem amazing. You are right, there is no end to our desires in our trains!

Once you get a chance to explore it more please let us know what you think!

Jim

I will promise to post some pictures by this weekend.. I may have to shoot photos in my camera's Macro mode.
I would say, the challenge is to find the dealer in the US...Was lucky to an extent.
The package is of good quality too..
Vijay
Offline vnangli  
#25 Posted : 12 May 2016 22:11:06(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Jim,
I was browsing this website and found some thread related to the lettering.

http://www.stummiforum.d...hp?t=113987&start=50

I dont know German, but I copied the text from each reply and stuck that into Google translater..One of such reply came up with this translation. It seems like the letters are glued to the body.
My hands are itching to go home and check it out...

I am sorry, if I raised your expectations....I hope I will prove myself wrong and find out that the letters are actually built in the body...Will keep you posted.
Vijay

Translation extracted from the thread...
"Good evening,

I have just returned today from the Moba dealer (got my replacement parts brought) and did to me that the ESU 31080 and
the show and perform 31081 blank, the result is quite sobering:

The 2 locomotives 31080 clear adhesive residue could be seen on the letter ... and at a V 200 was the "H" from
Word Bundesbahn still loose in the package, so it was dropped. Both locomotives were on the front side 1
hang on the 2 C Track turnouts - short circuit. The same behavior at the 3rd Lok - the 31080, there was indeed at least
the label in order. The have when sticking the letter (quoted wrong) probably not even a
Template had looks as "child labor without any control."
Offline dickinsonj  
#26 Posted : 13 May 2016 01:08:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Jim,
I am sorry, if I raised your expectations....I hope I will prove myself wrong and find out that the letters are actually built in the body...Will keep you posted.
Vijay

No, I'm not really worried Vijay. If I never bought products that had any negative online reviews I would not own anything at all! I find that I can seldom go wrong leveraging the wisdom on this forum and I have not seen a single negative ESU review.

I am guessing that they are indeed applied to the paint, as molding them into the body would probably cost way too much.

I bet yours is wonderful when you get the time to check it out. Let me know what you find.

Regards,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline Goofy  
#27 Posted : 14 May 2016 07:10:10(UTC)
Goofy

Jim,
I was browsing this website and found some thread related to the lettering.

http://www.stummiforum.d...hp?t=113987&start=50

I dont know German, but I copied the text from each reply and stuck that into Google translater..One of such reply came up with this translation. It seems like the letters are glued to the body.
My hands are itching to go home and check it out...

Vijay

Translation extracted from the thread...
"Good evening,

I have just returned today from the Moba dealer (got my replacement parts brought) and did to me that the ESU 31080 and
the show and perform 31081 blank, the result is quite sobering:

The 2 locomotives 31080 clear adhesive residue could be seen on the letter ... and at a V 200 was the "H" from
Word Bundesbahn still loose in the package, so it was dropped. Both locomotives were on the front side 1
hang on the 2 C Track turnouts - short circuit. The same behavior at the 3rd Lok - the 31080, there was indeed at least
the label in order. The have when sticking the letter (quoted wrong) probably not even a
Template had looks as "child labor without any control."

The reason of the short circuit are cause off large gap of the turnout frog C turnouts,which do also have metal frog.
The track geometry of the turnouts is besides not correct by off Märklin.
H0
Offline vnangli  
#28 Posted : 14 May 2016 21:55:52(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
[img=https://goo.gl/photos/y6eWSTrxwupGenFw9]ESU 31080 loco[/img]@ Goofy, Jim (dickinson),

This may be of some help to Goofy, as I used an MS2 to test this ESU loco.

Here are my first impressions of this loco...

1) The package is good, however the foam which holds the stand for the loco is a little tight in fit. So, when I had to remove the stand holding the loco one of the shock absorber assembly for the wheels got disassembled. But I believe this is common with these fragile high detailed locos, for these components with light press fit to get disassembled due to mild shocks during shipping...
2) Put it on my test track (MS2, Software version 2.5, Protocol set to Mfx,DCC,MM2). Within few seconds, most of the functions were automatically running, like the panel lights inside the cabin, the cabin light and the smoke. The smoke has the odor of a smoke from electric fire/spark. This made me panic for a minute, thinking something might have got burnt inside. Thats it, after this temporary automatic registering, my MS2 was not ready to run this loco with a Mfx Protocol. The loco was running only with DCC protocol (and not even Mfx,DCC) for the loco as well as accessories. This was a little disappointing.

Loco functions
1) 5 stars to the horn, this has been the highlight
2) With sudden braking, the light and sound on the underbody of this loco glows intermittently to replicate the braking sound. This is another killer feature. This took me by surprise initially, but when I was slowly decelerating this squeaking wouldn't show up. Which makes sense.

Overall impressions : I am happy about this purchase, except the tussle between my MS2 and the loco to accept it as an Mfx...

Here is the link for some of the photos...
When you see these photos, you will notice in one of the photo has all the fans stationery. Another photo has 2 of them stationary and two more running. I think this is another great detail...

https://goo.gl/photos/y6eWSTrxwupGenFw9

If there are any features in particular that you want to see, let me know.

Thanks and go burn your wallet...
Vijay
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline dickinsonj  
#29 Posted : 15 May 2016 03:00:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
vnangli wrote:

When you see these photos, you will notice in one of the photo has all the fans stationery. Another photo has 2 of them stationary and two more running. I think this is another great detail...

Cool - thanks for the photos. Your second photo clearly shows the raised lettering detail. I like to see things run as DCC - is there a reason you would prefer it to register as MFX?

I didn't even realize that the fans were powered - that is amazingly cool. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline vnangli  
#30 Posted : 15 May 2016 03:38:37(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
I like Mfx as that is what I have used all the time.
And I have no other reasons.

The fans are not powered, But freely spinning. I had to ask my daughter to blow some air. Not so cool, huh???Flapper
Offline dickinsonj  
#31 Posted : 15 May 2016 03:44:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I like Mfx as that is what I have used all the time.
And I have no other reasons.

The fans are not powered, But freely spinning. I had to ask my daughter to blow some air. Not so cool, huh???Flapper

I have things that are DCC, MFX and MM all running together and from a user perspective I don't see much difference. I have seen people say online that ESU loks run better and/or have more features when running under DCC, so that would be my first choice anyway.

I guess I would have been surprised for the fans to be powered, but having them be able to spin is still cool.
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#32 Posted : 15 May 2016 07:56:27(UTC)
H0

I have seen people say online that ESU loks run better and/or have more features when running under DCC, so that would be my first choice anyway.
With my Central Station 1 (with latest ESU firmware) I can control 29 functions using DCC, but only 16 functions using mfx.
With MS2 both protocols are limited to 16 functions.
With CS2 you get 29 functions with DCC only when using external controllers (PC control or such). mfx is currently limited to 16 functions.

Will they give us 29/32 functions with the CS2 UI?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#33 Posted : 15 May 2016 09:22:46(UTC)
Goofy

ESU locomotives does run well if you use DCC protocol and two rail.
I have seen severals of video in the youtube by watching 2 and 3 rail.
In fact does wrong type of the tracks cause derailment and the short circuit.
Even Roco line with ESU locomotive cause short circuit like Märklins C turnouts.
This happens when you have wide gap in the metal frog into turnouts.
There is a metal bracket underneath the locomotive,which is for the sensor curve,that is the problem.

I have decides to order one steam locomotive from ESU and it´s an Preussen.
But steam locomotive can only run minimum 420 mm curve radii.
So make sure by find after the fact first before you buy an ESU locomotive.
Why not try to been member in the ESU forum and read there to get information?
There is both german,english,dutch and french language to write!
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline dickinsonj  
#34 Posted : 15 May 2016 13:45:18(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
With CS2 you get 29 functions with DCC only when using external controllers (PC control or such). mfx is currently limited to 16 functions.

Will they give us 29/32 functions with the CS2 UI?

OK - I did not understand that part. I thought that if I used DCC with my CS2 I would get all the functions. I often control my trains with the Marklin's MainStation on an iPad. Do you know how many functions are available that way? If I can not access all of the functions using my CS2 (less than a year old and probably here to stay for quite a while) I may not be as interested in an ESU lok as I thought.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#35 Posted : 15 May 2016 13:53:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Why not try to been member in the ESU forum and read there to get information?
There is both german,english,dutch and french language to write!

That is a good idea to check out an ESU forum. Until your previous post I did not know there were any operational issues running ESU loks on Marklin C track. If they do not run properly on my C track then they are not as appealing as I thought. I have a reservation on a V 200 that is a beautiful model but if it has only part of its functionality available, plus operational issues as well, I will probably not get it.

I looked at that steam engine. It is very pretty, but I was surprised at the radius limit of 422 mm. Right now that would make me hold back on getting that one too.
Regards,
Jim

Offline hennabm  
#36 Posted : 15 May 2016 21:40:46(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
The ESU forum is in three languages but the English version does not specifically cover the loks.

I had a problem and posted on there but little info is available on there. One day I will get round to asking the same question on the German forum.

You do have to sign up and be approved for the forum.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline dickinsonj  
#37 Posted : 15 May 2016 22:08:06(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
The ESU forum is in three languages but the English version does not specifically cover the loks.

I had a problem and posted on there but little info is available on there. One day I will get round to asking the same question on the German forum.

You do have to sign up and be approved for the forum.

Mike

Mike,

I signed up but it may take up to three days for me to be approved. Maybe Google translate will let me read the German version of the forum and figure out the answers to my questions once that happens. The lok I am interested is not scheduled for production until 3rd quarter of this year, so I have some time to figure out if I really want it or not. My only serious concern is with the conflict when the ESU loks pass through C track turnouts.

Thanks,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#38 Posted : 23 May 2016 02:00:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
I had a problem and posted on there but little info is available on there.
Mike

I wanted to update what I have learned since I last posted. I gained access to the ESU forum and found a number of people with serious issues with their ESU loks, including one person who got a 31089 (the model I want) and has sent his back three times for repair already. Multiple people had current pickup issues which required replacement parts and other people reported their loks stopping in some sections where their Marklin loks run fine, even with the power packs. Several people reported the smoke generators stopped working on other models as well as similar issues with stopping in some track sections. A number of older ESU V 200's would run for a few minutes and then stop and would not run again until the system was restarted.

I am thinking that when my reservation finally comes up I might pass on the 31089. The ESU loks look wonderful and have amazing features but if they don't run properly I guess I don't see the point.

If anyone has any personal experience with one of their newer V 200's I would be interested in hearing what you think.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by user 23 May 2016 12:51:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#39 Posted : 23 May 2016 03:43:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Jim yes I've read a few reports about the latest steam loco BR 94 and there seems also be some minor problems, mainly running characteristic at low speed, lights dimmer, function, smoke unit

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#40 Posted : 23 May 2016 05:34:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The ESU loks look wonderful and have amazing features but if they don't run properly I guess I don't see the point.

I guess I'm about to find out......my 31087 has just arrived at the International Mail Centre in Auckland (after 3 weeks with DHL), so I guess I'll have it later this week.

The only issue I have with my BR215 has already been documented in Monster's thread that I referenced to earlier in this thread. I haven't as yet re-programmed my BR215 but I guess I should do that!

Keep in mind that with the smoke generators, you are meant to use the ESU smoke fluid, using anything else may cause damage with the smoke units. I have also ordered some ESU fluid together with my 31087.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#41 Posted : 23 May 2016 12:50:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I guess I'm about to find out......

I was hoping to hear where you stood with getting your 31087 and to perhaps hear how you like it before my reservation comes up. I still would like to get the 31089 and hearing a good review from you would make it easier for me to decide.

I don't want to spend that much and then start into a cycle of returns from the US to Germany, so I will be looking forward to hearing what you think about yours. I understand that a small number of people can have problems with something, post their issues online and make things that in reality are just fine seem to be problematic. A little over two years ago I almost didn't purchase an expensive DSLR due to issues people were having, but mine has been absolutely perfect.

I hope that your 31087 is as impressive as it appears to be.

Regards,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#42 Posted : 23 May 2016 13:02:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Jim yes I've read a few reports about the latest steam loco BR 94 and there seems also be some minor problems, mainly running characteristic at low speed, lights dimmer, function, smoke unit

John

The slow speed running issues were also reported for multiple other ESU loks, including the older V 200's. I didn't think of that when I posted the other issues I had seen. What I find to be odd are things like stopping in sections of track where there are power issues, even though they have capacitors and jerky slow speed operation, even with ESU electronics and custom made, high quality motors. All of these issues were reported on the stummi forum as well as on the ESU forum.

I will be very interested to hear what David thinks of his.

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#43 Posted : 23 May 2016 13:37:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I guess I'm about to find out......my 31087 has just arrived at the International Mail Centre in Auckland (after 3 weeks with DHL), so I guess I'll have it later this week.

It has cleared Customs (Yay, no VAT) so I might even have it tomorrow morning.

My layout is part M track, part C track and hasn't been run for a while (I've been wiring up signals and building station platforms), so there may be a few dead spots on it. It will be interesting to see how well the BR220 handles it.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#44 Posted : 24 May 2016 00:06:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Loco arrived this morning, so here are a few quick photos of it - please excuse the glare, as there was office lights above where I was taking the photos.

At least this time, an ESU loco has arrived undamaged!

DSC_0027c.JPGDSC_0026c.JPG
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline diesel  
#45 Posted : 24 May 2016 05:04:18(UTC)
diesel

Australia   
Hi All,

Just let you know I received my new ESU V200 in late February 2016. It ran perfectly out of the box with a very small occasional power loss over some points but still an absolute joy to use.

I had seen this loco before and noted a second collector shoe can be easily clipped on which I did. Wiring was a little tricky due to great amount of features in this loco and I ended up running a very fine wire back to the other shoe.

With the extra shoe there is no stalling - a great loco.BigGrin - Thank you ESU

When ever I can I always install an extra pick up shoe on a loco - its well worth the effort.

Cheers

Diesel
Ecos 50200, Software 4.1.2 Marklin HO K track, EcosBoost, Traincontroller Gold V9.0,B2, All track power via EcosBoost Separate programing siding. Decoders- Lokpilot V2,Lokpilotv3, Lok V4, LoksoundV4, Loksound V5, Marklin MFX and Marklin Fx. Internet Exlporer 11.0, Win 7
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by diesel
Offline Danlake  
#46 Posted : 24 May 2016 06:24:06(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi BigDaddy,

Looking forward to some reviews on the performance on your track.

I also have part M tracks but previously steered away from ESU due to some comments of not being so compatible on m tracks.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#47 Posted : 24 May 2016 07:06:20(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Loco arrived this morning, so here are a few quick photos of it - please excuse the glare, as there was office lights above where I was taking the photos.

At least this time, an ESU loco has arrived undamaged!

DSC_0027c.JPGDSC_0026c.JPG

Drool Drool Drool

I have 31089 in my shopping cart but I really should sell Huh some excess M to fund it Blushing Scared Wink

I have five SDS M V200's already (but none of them burn oil) Wink It won't be one of them that gets sacrificed Unsure
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#48 Posted : 24 May 2016 14:19:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had a bit of a run around my layout with the 31087 tonight. Because the layout hasn't been used for a while, I ran a Marklin loco (3738 BR128 12X) around first several times to clean the track. The ESU loco stuttered in my lower level storage area the first time it went around, but subsequent runs it went around without issue (although I did have the sound turned off), including running through all C track and M track points.

With the sound on it ran fine around the main upper level of the layout, but stuttered a bit on the lower level although it did get around the entire layout.

You do need to have clean track with the recommended number of feeder wires (I have every 2 metres or so).

The sound is quite loud at its default setting, but the horn on the loco sounds like a real loco horn, not the constipated cow sounding horn that Marklin persists in using. One thing that impressed me was how quiet the loco is when running without sound on, much quieter than Marklin locos even when running on M track.

I ran the loco with smoke on, it generates the most smoke when it starts up and stops, but you cannot see much when the loco is running. I think someone else might have previously mentioned this.

I will post some videos I took later on, after they have uploaded to Youtube.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#49 Posted : 24 May 2016 14:43:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
First video - this one shows the BR220 running through the main M track section of my layout, with smoke on. Please excuse the mess on the layout - stuff is being rebuilt and catenary around the station area is being relaid.

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#50 Posted : 24 May 2016 15:58:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
First video - this one shows the BR220 running through the main M track section of my layout, with smoke on.

Looks really good so far - your 31087 seems to run very nicely and I didn't see any indications of any current issues - both the sound and lights seemed very steady, even through the turnouts.

My interest grows! BigGrin

Regards,
Jim