Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris Dunn  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2016 17:49:12(UTC)
Chris Dunn

United States   
I recently joined this terrific forum and already have gotten some helpful information but just seem to have more and more questions. I'm looking to build a small, nostalgic layout and am trying out to sort out all the details of Marklin track, signals, and engines/rolling stock. Can someone recommend a good English-language book that covers Marklin during the 50s and 60s.

Meanwhile, I hope I can sneak in a couple of quick questions. First, what can I expect in the way of Marklin trains staying on the track without derailing? (As someone who always has had O gauge, I've often heard HO being derided for not tracking well.) And what is the difference between track components in blue as opposed to yellow boxes? Thanks
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2016 19:16:50(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chris,

Marklin trains (not mixed with other brands) on well laid Marklin track will run very reliably without risk of derailment. Older M-Track which has warped or bent might give problems, so watch out for those old tracks from the attic!

As far as I know yellow boxes are earlier than blue boxes, but I'm no expert.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline nitramretep  
#3 Posted : 21 May 2016 20:58:46(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I agree with with Ray, never had a derailment other than those caused by me, my cat or debris on the track. Marklin is very reliable and operates well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2016 01:08:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have run in several other gauges with loks from other makers, and I find that Marklin loks are incredibly stable on well maintained track. I have had no more than 5 derailments in over 30 years of Marklin running.

My wife says that causing her brother's American O-gauge trains to derail was one of the best parts. My old American Flyers spent a good bit of time on their sides too, now that I think about it.BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2016 02:13:03(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello chris, When I was a kid my friends were always amazed at how long I could run my Marklins without a derailment. No need to screw them down either. I think the reliability is why they were so successful through all the years.

This book was was a longtime favorite for me.

Perhaps another member has the link for the English download. Mikey

76749e06-a0d9-11e5-9463-1c5e5dfc03b1.jpg
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline dominator  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2016 03:45:44(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
When I was a teenager [ cant remember when ] a workmate and I were discussing model railroads. His comment was that Marklin wheels were out of scale because of the huge rims. Well they might scale up to 12 to 15 inches in real size, but the Marklin wont derail, unless you do something stupid, or miss HYDE decides to investigate with her paws.

DERECK
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dominator
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2016 16:53:50(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi there, postwar marklin is really the postwar lionel of HO scale, so you will find a lot of things (including quality and reliability) VERY familiar. As long as you use nice clean track, and in the case of the old M track check rail ends for bends from prior owners, you will be good to go.

A note that some others may disagree with out of nostalgia: Use the current production C track even if running older Marklin. You can blend it into a vintage looking layout, and reliability is MUCH better, nevermind considerably easier and lighter to work with. If you like the old metal bridges just use a transition track and they plug right in.
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#8 Posted : 28 May 2016 17:05:00(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Hello chris, When I was a kid my friends were always amazed at how long I could run my Marklins without a derailment. No need to screw them down either. I think the reliability is why they were so successful through all the years.

This book was was a longtime favorite for me.

Perhaps another member has the link for the English download. Mikey

76749e06-a0d9-11e5-9463-1c5e5dfc03b1.jpg

Here you are...

http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Libros/index.htm
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline Chris Dunn  
#9 Posted : 28 May 2016 22:42:42(UTC)
Chris Dunn

United States   
Thanks to everyone for the information and encouragement. I have a ton to learn but am enjoying the journey.

Chris
Offline artfull dodger  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2016 15:44:09(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Welcome to the world of Marklin. I have done both the older analog trains and am curently enjoying the newer digital control trains from Marklin. There is plenty of good used "M" track on the market both here and on ebay. Operation of older AC engines is similar to Lionel with a miniature 2 position "E Unit" to control the direction. Spur gear motors and the smell of ozone and hot oil when running. New engines have LED headlights, sound, digital control of engine and all turnouts from my mobile station controler. I scored a starter set on blow out from Walthers, normaly over $500 for not much over $200. Came with a class 24 steamer with digital control, 3 passenger cars, 1 freight car, loop of track with passing siding and a mobile station 2. I put decoders in my turnouts and control them with my MS2. This eliminates all the extra wiring on older layouts, its all done digitaly. I can't wait to see what you build, I do miss my little analog layout. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger