Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2016 14:00:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, since Märklin started the digital system in the year 1984 I have since than converted at least 600 locos from the ordinary decoder 6080 to 6090, than 60901 and now ESU decoders at a cost no one could imagine.
In the days when Roco had ESU decoders the going was easy and now they have Zimo decoders/sound decoders which are ok but if you want to program them you need a Zimo system, I'm not keen on mfx or mfx+ so most of Märklin locos are out of question except the cheaper versions of 36... type locos or none mfx locos or Roco locos analog with a digital circuit board. HAG DC locos and Liliput do have ESU decoders or come without (analog)

and to be honest I don't know how many locos I've got with sound decoders but one thing I know for sure all locos have been converted with a 5 pole motor (Märklin) and most loco motors have a ball bearing or two and this is another task which I will pursue when I get more ball bearings.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2016 06:36:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes and who knows what will come next?

When I re-ignited my interest in trains I sold all my loks and bought digitals. I prefer sound and most do, except electrics - which don't really need sound anyways.

Lucky for me I didn't have too many analogues. Then again I did go through the sell/buy process again when I decided to focus on era 3a.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Br502362  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2016 11:12:34(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Stick to analogue and be happy ThumpUp

Cheers

Åke
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2016 11:24:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The beauty of digital is that it is actually quite cheap to convert an analogue loco to digital, especially if you are not too fussy about having to have sound and complicated lighting.

When I went digital I started using the cheapest Marklin decoders available at the time, which were the Delta decoders. The performance of the locos was not great, but at least they would run on the digital system.

Now I prefer to use the 60760 decoder and motor kits for all analogue DCM locos. For about 25 euros you get a 5 pole motor and a decoder with load control. For a similar amount of money I sometimes use a Lokpilot decoder and magnet kit. This gives you a better decoder but still with a 3 pole motor.

My point is that you don't need to sell all your prized loco collection just because the technology has changed. A cheap and simple conversion will allow you to continue to enjoy seeing your old favourites running on your layout.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Hannes Porsche  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2016 20:44:41(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi John, I posted a reply on your revious post "Its on again............"

Please have a look.

I want to complete a few coversions myself.

Thanks,

HANNES
Offline marklin61  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2016 09:27:16(UTC)
marklin61

Hi John, slightly off the topic , but where do you source your ball bearings?im interested in adding a couple myself as I understand this greatly reduces noise and improves running performance and have a number that I would like to try and upgrade. But I wouldn't have a clue who would sell them down at this neck of the woods!
Thanks
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........