Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David1954  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2013 20:22:30(UTC)
David1954

United States   
New to Marklin HO railroad products. Just got turnouts with motors and digital decoders (74460). Also, have the C track, control box (72720), circuit track (24994), universal relay (7244) to make everything work. Question #1 is does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to set this up for an operating bypass? Questions #2 what is the purpose of the digital decoders? The instructions that come with it say nothing in regards to this. Marklin doesn't print any material that I can find which shows how to do things which is frustrating. There instructions that accommodate different products are generally useless. If there is a book in print or available where is it? How about a website that gives instructions on the use of different products in written form or visual form!

So what does the digital decoder do for me in regards to operating the turnouts? Why set the decoder to different addresses? Someone please help! I know how to use a voltmeter and have some electronic knowledge.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2013 20:34:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!

With a digital turnout decoder, you no longer need the control box - instead you can switch turnouts from your digital controller (CS1, CS2, MS2, 6021 with keyboard &c.).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline David1954  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2013 22:41:37(UTC)
David1954

United States   
So......what advantage is having the turnouts digitalized as using the pushbutton. Where can I read the manual for these items on line?
Offline 3rail4life  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2013 23:12:45(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
I like not having to use control boxes or having to hook up wires to them, digital gives you a few more options depending on your controller setup.

The instuctions are here, hopefully one these will work for you, click on anleitung for the instructions in pdf

open link in a new tab for the pdf: http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/74460_betrieb.pdf

Cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2013 00:39:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: David1954 Go to Quoted Post
So......what advantage is having the turnouts digitalized as using the pushbutton. Where can I read the manual for these items on line?

None.......you dont need the decoder to use the turnouts with the pushbutton.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2013 07:01:13(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: David1954 Go to Quoted Post
New to Marklin HO railroad products. Just got turnouts with motors and digital decoders (74460). Also, have the C track, control box (72720), circuit track (24994), universal relay (7244) to make everything work. Question #1 is does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to set this up for an operating bypass? Questions #2 what is the purpose of the digital decoders? The instructions that come with it say nothing in regards to this. Marklin doesn't print any material that I can find which shows how to do things which is frustrating. There instructions that accommodate different products are generally useless. If there is a book in print or available where is it? How about a website that gives instructions on the use of different products in written form or visual form!

So what does the digital decoder do for me in regards to operating the turnouts? Why set the decoder to different addresses? Someone please help! I know how to use a voltmeter and have some electronic knowledge.

Hi David!

First of all I am curious to know if someone sold you this setup as "this is what you need to make it work"? Because, that is not entirely accurate.

There are several options to throw switches, depending on what you like. The control box is one of them.

The manual for the control box 72720 clearly shows that you do not need a decoder for it to throw switches. It is simply a contact box that directs the current to either the green or the red contact, depending on which button is pushed. The control box has no knowledge of anything digital it is purely analogue.

Download the manual for control box 72720

If you want to go digital, you do not need the control box. The 74460 decoder in the switch can be controlled from your digital controller. I don't know which digital controller you have, but if you have the Mobile Station 2, you click the "switch" button, locate the switch in the menu and throw it. If you do not know the address of the decoder in the switch, you can set it using the DIP switch on the decoder.

Note: To my knowledge the 74460 decoder is the old decoder version and it only speaks the Motorola (MM) format. It does not speak DCC, so your digital controller will need to speak MM for it to work. A controller from Märklin always speaks MM. There is a newer version of the decoder (74461) that speaks DCC.

I have compiled an article on how to use the newer decoder version (74461). Even though it is the new version, a lot of the information should apply to the 74460 decoder as well.
http://www.bahnfan.net/p...om-Marklin-with-DCC.aspx

Download the manual for decoder 74460

About the contact track (24994) and the universal relay (7244). I am not really sure what to do with that. The manual for the universal relay contains some inspiration, but it has mostly to do with automatic signalling.

Download the manual for the universal relay 7244

I hope this helps!
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2013 09:25:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
To my knowledge the 74460 decoder is the old decoder version and it only speaks the Motorola (MM) format.
Right.
Märklin sold many starter sets with "digital turnouts" to get rid of the 74460 decoders - and many dealers sold "digital turnouts" from split starter sets. Maybe that's how David got his turnouts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2013 12:48:41(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
The circuit track can switch the universal relay or a turnout when a train is passing in a certain direction (and do something else in the other direction).

The universal relay turns power on/off or switches between different circuits when activated, so the most common use is to turn track power on/off while switching a light signal red/green.

Both of these are used for analogue operation and ar not compatible with the decoders. You can use the decoders to control turnouts digitally from a Mobile Station 2 or other controller.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Marklin in Oz  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2013 00:10:41(UTC)
Marklin in Oz

United States   
Hello David. You're not the only one with instruction issues. I find the lack of complete instructions with 74460 frustrating myself. I'm getting ready to dig in to the pdf posted above. Hope that does the trick. Cheers.
-Fred
Offline stakyr_7  
#10 Posted : 20 May 2016 07:28:52(UTC)
stakyr_7

Greece   
Ηello to all,

as a new member to your wonderful community can i ask if i can operate 74460 decoder (+74490 mechanism) with the mobile station
included in my 29841 starter set?

Many thanks for your time!
Offline sjlauritsen  
#11 Posted : 20 May 2016 07:52:24(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: stakyr_7 Go to Quoted Post
as a new member to your wonderful community can i ask if i can operate 74460 decoder (+74490 mechanism) with the mobile station included in my 29841 starter set?

Yes no problem! You set the address on the decoder according to the instructions and locate the turnout number in the turnout menu of your Mobile Station. That should be it.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/