Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline trainsman2001  
#1 Posted : 18 May 2016 21:06:18(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Hi Guys, hope someone can help with my situation. My Marklin 39016's sound decoder stopped operation after loco hit a dead spot on the track. The motor and lights worked after giving the loco a slight nudge to get it moving but no sound. I'm using a MS2 controller. I shut down power to the layout and let the loco sit for several hours in hopes that maybe the sound decoder would reset itself. No such luck. Is there a hard reset that can be done on the sound decoder from an MS2 controller? I didn't see any smoke or smell any short odors from the loco. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My other sound locos are working fine. Sandy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 May 2016 23:42:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: trainsman2001 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys, hope someone can help with my situation. My Marklin 39016's sound decoder stopped operation after loco hit a dead spot on the track. The motor and lights worked after giving the loco a slight nudge to get it moving but no sound. I'm using a MS2 controller. I shut down power to the layout and let the loco sit for several hours in hopes that maybe the sound decoder would reset itself. No such luck. Is there a hard reset that can be done on the sound decoder from an MS2 controller? I didn't see any smoke or smell any short odors from the loco. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My other sound locos are working fine. Sandy

have you tried toggling F8? It could be that the point at which the loco lost contact with the controller made the data packet look like an F8 to turn the sound off, so toggle the sound on function and see if that helps.

Offline trainsman2001  
#3 Posted : 19 May 2016 01:35:18(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

have you tried toggling F8? It could be that the point at which the loco lost contact with the controller made the data packet look like an F8 to turn the sound off, so toggle the sound on function and see if that helps.

Thanks Alan, I will try your suggestion tomorrow morning when I have the time to try it and will let you know the outcome. Thanks again, Sandy

Offline trainsman2001  
#4 Posted : 19 May 2016 14:07:33(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Hi Alan, couldn't get sound to work after trying your suggestion. The functions on the MS2, software version 2.3, only allow to change the icons to which the functions apply. I did however, change the volume setting on the MS2 and it very briefly showed the setting change by providing sound, but as I mentioned very briefly. The sound function feature on this loco are f2 on the my MS2 but as I stated earlier assessing the f2 function only allows for the sound icon to be changed to one of the icons provided. I couldn't find any location that would allow be to toggle the sound on or off other than the f2 function on the MS2 itself which of course I've tried numerous times without success. If you or anyone else on this forum has any other ideas on this issue I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Sandy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 19 May 2016 15:20:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Alan, couldn't get sound to work after trying your suggestion. The functions on the MS2, software version 2.3, only allow to change the icons to which the functions apply. I did however, change the volume setting on the MS2 and it very briefly showed the setting change by providing sound, but as I mentioned very briefly. The sound function feature on this loco are f2 on the my MS2 but as I stated earlier assessing the f2 function only allows for the sound icon to be changed to one of the icons provided. I couldn't find any location that would allow be to toggle the sound on or off other than the f2 function on the MS2 itself which of course I've tried numerous times without success. If you or anyone else on this forum has any other ideas on this issue I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Sandy

I think your loco hasn't registered properly, as the Marklin product page for this loco shows a lot of functions available. One of them should be sound on/off.

I think you need to reset the ms2 and get the loco to register again.

Offline trainsman2001  
#6 Posted : 19 May 2016 20:28:51(UTC)
trainsman2001

United States   
Thanks for the suggestion Alan, I've owned this loco for a couple of years now without any issues concerning sound or otherwise. All functions worked as stated in the Marklin manual supplied with the loco. The f2 function on the MS2 does turn the sound on and off and worked until this problem occurred. All my other sound locos work fine. Thanks again for your suggestions, Sandy