Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2016 22:18:30(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
After a couple of months of dithering I took the plunge and ordered the MS2 start set 29000 - came to the UK delivered for almost exactly 100 quid.

So fairly straightforward - I have ten digital loks from the oldest MM2's through to Mfx - a very convenient number for the MS2!

Now I am a K track man through and through so my oval of C track was a novelty and very useful on the dining room table as a test and set up track for the MS2. But a very clever piece of marketing by Marklin - I am quite enchanted for the moment with C track its quiet, it joins well and looks Ok to good (I am not a purist).

I was quietly impressed with the instruction book only a few germanisms in the text. Now having read on here the volumes of queries and issues I would feel inadequate if I didn't have one so mine is simple. My mains socket is well under the layout so the power pack goes there - so how do you switch the MS2 off or perhaps leave it on standby without mountaineering under the layout and pulling the plug out?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2016 22:24:07(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
so how do you switch the MS2 off or perhaps leave it on standby without mountaineering under the layout and pulling the plug out?
Use an extension cord with a switch.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2016 22:34:03(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
so how do you switch the MS2 off or perhaps leave it on standby without mountaineering under the layout and pulling the plug out?
Use an extension cord with a switch.

OK I was being slightly tongue in cheek - that's what I do - it just seems to me to be slightly odd to have a device without its own Power on/off control - or am I being old fashioned?
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2016 23:16:15(UTC)
H0

Power on/off switches are most effective on the primary side - at the power supply. This would not help you in your situation. And this may not be allowed with toy power supplies.
Not many laptop power supplies have on/off switches.
And even desktop PCs are losing the on/off switches on the primary side, so they always consume power on standby.

Pulling the plug or using an external switch effectively reduces the power consumption to 0.

When the layout grows there will be more than one power supply and the external switch will be a nice, practical solution.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2016 23:46:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I use an extension cord with switched sockets. It's the only solution really when using those wall mounted power packs.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2016 22:53:30(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I would use a power strip (extension cord with several outlets on the end, that runs power from the wall to some location on the layout where the various 'things' are plugged in.

You can get even fancier and get ones that have a radio receiver such as zwave, so you can turn them on with home automation hub (connects zwave/zigbee devices, runs automation and connects by ethernet/wifi to the world or your phone and computers).
Then you can have a wall light switch at the entrance to your train room which you flip on, that causes the lights on the layout to turn on to a specific setting, this power strip gets turned on so your layout auto-powers on, etc. When you head out of the room, flip the switch and the home automation turns everything of. No more crawling under tables and layouts for normal operations.

But to start, a power strip. ;-)

automating an outlet is as easy as : https://www.amazon.co.uk...0&keywords=aeon+labs (though you need to verify its got UK plug configuration - you may need something like https://www.amazon.co.uk...RID=93DYT09N02XHPTDXK5TY )
Or a full power strip where individual outlets an be controlled but a UK plug type version doesn't seem to exist (we have them for 110v US plugs).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2016 01:21:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
When the layout grows there will be more than one power supply and the external switch will be a nice, practical solution.

Wise advice - that is what I would recommend doing as well.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2016 06:55:16(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Wise advice - that is what I would recommend doing as well.

Like this one?

DSC_0003_268.JPGDSC_0004_269.JPG

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 14 May 2016 10:29:05(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am beginning to feel embarrassed now that I ever light heartedly raised this simple issue. I know of all the solutions, what I was really querying was the base issue. As I sit typing this at my desk I have in front of me a tablet in a docking station, a dell monitor, a printer a Wi-Fi router, a mobile on charge and a TV and DVD player. With the exception of the Wi-Fi everything else has an on/off switch and a sleep/standby mode. I hate to admit it for fear of a torrent of abuse but I never bend down under the desk to switch anything off at the 6 gang switched extension lead and I often just leave things to go to sleep in standby. Shock horror how can I afford all that wasted electricity and the fire insurance. Now I thought one of the reasons things with a screen went into standby was to stop the same image "burning" into the screen and leaving a shadow. I do have a habit in my life of doing one thing and being distracted by another (that's why she is called SWMBO after all) and maybe not returning to the first. Now these days you can buy one hell of a chunk of electronics for under a hundred quid - my phone is not an apple but an HTC - £80 or less complete with on/off switch and standby and quite a few other thing as well!. Someone will now embarrass me and tell me my MS2 goes into sleep mode after so many minutes of inaction ( but I haven't seen it yet or read about it) and maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea any way.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2016 10:59:55(UTC)
H0

Now I thought one of the reasons things with a screen went into standby was to stop the same image "burning" into the screen and leaving a shadow.
This is an issue with CRTs and plasma displays. I think the LCDs of MS2 and CS2 are not affected.

No sleep/standby with MS2, no screensaver either.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage