Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2014 05:10:00(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi All,

I am thinking about adding some automation to my layout via contact/circuit tracks connected to a feedback module to my Central Station 60215. Can someone explain to me what is the difference between the L88 60883 and the S88 60880 as they seem to do similar things.

regards

Paul
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2014 08:18:31(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul!
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Can someone explain to me what is the difference between the L88 60883 and the S88 60880 as they seem to do similar things.
The 60880 is industrial standard and can be used with CU 6021 (plus another grey box), Intellibox, CS1, and CS2 and several other controllers.

The 60883 is new and better and proprietary and works with the CS2 only. Flapper

Seriously I think the proprietary connection is a disadvantage. I don't know if there are real advantages coming with the 60883.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Cyborg  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2014 10:47:58(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks for the information Tom. I guess the 60883 will be for me then. The only advantage is it bring cheaper!

Regards

Paul
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2014 11:02:03(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The 60880 is industrial standard and can be used with CU 6021 (plus another grey box), Intellibox, CS1, and CS2 and several other controllers.

Hi Tom,

The grey box which you are referring to is the Interface 6050/6051, isn't it?

Cheers

Renato

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2014 22:22:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post

That's how I read Tom's reply!
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 August 2014 22:48:52(UTC)
H0

I was thinking about the memory 6043, but the 6050/6051 also supports the s88.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2014 03:40:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Topic moved into 'Digital" forum where it's more relevant - definitely MR related
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2014 03:43:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking about the memory 6043, but the 6050/6051 also supports the s88.

Yes, the 6050/6051 directly supports the S88, I used it for some time with my 6022 Central Control for automation before I got my Intellibox (which also supports S88).

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#9 Posted : 07 August 2014 12:42:12(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
You only need one 60883 to connect to the CS. If you need more feedback modules you can use 60881 and connect them with a network cable. The advantage compared to "old" s88 is that it is less sensitive to interference. LDT have been making this kind of modules for a long time, so this is almost as much a standard connection as the s88 bus. CAN-bus is less common in this context, but that is a more reliable way to provide feedback to the CS than s88.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2014 01:28:54(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
To get back to the original question

Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Can someone explain ...

The answer is No. (Certainly not in the public domain outside Marklin, and probably internally to them as well)

The newer *88* items have yet to be GA'd (made Generally Available) and are unlikely to be seen this year

The marketing hype that does exist is usually unreliable, certainly incomplete and, all too often, conflicting.

Edited by user 10 August 2014 21:46:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2014 15:48:13(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
You only need one 60883 to connect to the CS. If you need more feedback modules you can use 60881 and connect them with a network cable. The advantage compared to "old" s88 is that it is less sensitive to interference. LDT have been making this kind of modules for a long time, so this is almost as much a standard connection as the s88 bus. CAN-bus is less common in this context, but that is a more reliable way to provide feedback to the CS than s88.

Another advantage of the new "88" for Marklin in the future will be the opportunity to develop the next CS in a more simple way, without S88 connector & without internal S 88 circuit . (it smells a more standardized item)
Costs of production increase with the number of connectors and internal circuits ....
The current CS2 60215 is quite "rich" in terms of connectors/connection...
Offline Minok  
#12 Posted : 05 May 2016 22:49:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm tacking onto this old thread as I went to do a google search for S88 vs L88 to clarify things in my mind as I'd been seeing the terminology used in other threads. So the market has moved and maybe someone from the old posts can provide better context than this newbie (me) with no direct experience yet other than what I'm learning, BUT for the benefit of others that may find this thread via a google search.

Its very confusing, terminology wise, which is typical in the Märklin world. As there is no "L88". There are (in May 2016 & based on the Märklin product database website):

All of them have 16 inputs and ground connections for detection purposes.

Old Technology; <S88 6 pin parallel bus signaling>
60880 - "decoder S88" (and its predecessor 6088)

Newer Technology: <S88n 6pin twisted pair bus signalling>
60881 - "S88 AC" <uses ground sensing>
60882 - "S88 DC" <uses current sensing>
60883 - "S88 LINK"

The S88 LINK (which appears to be what is meant by the term "L88") (60883) has 3 ports on it, the classic 6pin ribbon cable way of interfacing with a "decoder S88"(60880), as well as 2 RJ45 Cat5 connectors that provide a twisted-pair way of expanding the number of inputs by connecting via daisy-chain, more input modules (S88 AC or S88 DC) along the two busses. The twisted-pair cabling is less electrical interference prone, so you minimize the length and routing of the input wires from your track to the S88 device - and then have more robust signalling back go the base "S88 LINK".

You can distribute the S88 AC/DC modules across your layout to be near/middle of the areas they serve. One S88 LINK + many S88 AC (for example).
And I think that you can just plug the 60881/2 "S88 AC"/"DC" daisy-chain directly into the twisted pair RJ45 S88 port on the CS 3-Plus, without having to use the "S88 LINK".

The older 6088/60880 technology using only the 6 wire technique was problematic in noisy RF/electrical environments and required a lot more copper to deploy over large layouts I suspect.

I know there is more to it than this.

Edited by user 06 May 2016 19:41:41(UTC)  | Reason: To add the CS3Plus bit, which I then see is already in the next post. / add the sensing types to 81/

Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 06 May 2016 00:55:20(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
I know there is more to it than this.

With regards to feedback, there really is not much to it. The S88 LINK is just the new way of connecting S88 modules. It is not some sort of new feedback technology. The S88 LINK is simply a new entry point for connecting further S88 modules (be it AC, DC or the old type). The S88 LINK itself delivers the first 16 ports (same as an S88 AC). You can, however, configure those ports to represent 64 input buttons, giving you the option to create a real switchboard with buttons that you can use for switching turnouts, setting routes or signals. The latter is quite useful, IMO.

The CS3 only has support for S88 LINK. CS3Plus comes with a built-in S88 LINK (without the 16 ports).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 06 May 2016 09:01:39(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I am unsure if there is an actual question here.

My comments are pretty much summed up in ..
https://www.marklin-user...-S88-DC----60881--S88-AC
https://www.marklin-user...60881-2-to-old-S88-ports
so I wont repeat myself.

Re 60883
The expected (Apr2015) CS2 v4.2 update is rumored to address some outstanding issues.

The reference to "...S88n 6pin twisted pair.." is not a Marklin one.
The bus connections for the 60881/60882 are RJ45 and they ship with a standard Cat5 cable

Quote:

The older 6088/60880 technology using only the 6 wire technique was problematic

Totally disagree, these Marklin units have been very sound for over 20 years (If you are referring to other vendors you should say so)
.. any issue is more likely to be wiring - damaged 6 pin cable, or inattention to ground reference.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 06 May 2016 19:39:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
I am unsure if there is an actual question here.

The original question is in the thread subject: " Feedback Module Difference - S88 v L88"

The bus connections for the 60881/60882 are RJ45 and they ship with a standard Cat5 cable

Cat5 is twisted pair cable - it has 4 pairs (8 wires) of which the S88 system only needs 6.

The CAN bus vs S88 vs S88n I'm gleaning somewhat out of a Stummi-a CS2 S88 Thread.

Quote:

The older 6088/60880 technology using only the 6 wire technique was problematic

Totally disagree, these Marklin units have been very sound for over 20 years (If you are referring to other vendors you should say so)
.. any issue is more likely to be wiring - damaged 6 pin cable, or inattention to ground reference.

I cannot comment on that. Maybe they were problematic in only a few cases. There has to be a reason the electrical interconnection was changed from the 6 parallel ribbon-cable scheme (CAN bus? - which is generally reliable, yes) to a twisted pair Cat5 electrical interconnection. It may be that its easier to wire up the the connections between modules as obtaining and making Cat5 cables of arbitrary length is very easy and inexpensive these days.

You certainly benefit from greater interference rejection with Cat5 vs the parallel ribbon approach, especially over longer distances in RF noisy environments. If your layout is not in an RF noisy environment, then you wont see the issues. But the amount of RF energy in our homes has change dramatically over the past several decades with the addition of so many other devices: wifi, bluetooth, zwave, zigbee, cordless phones, and likely more. Maybe its to provide two separate busses, I don't know. Others (you perhaps) can explain the issues related to deploying S88 detection over a larger layout space better than I can.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline MaerklinLife  
#16 Posted : 06 May 2016 20:24:15(UTC)
MaerklinLife

The CAN bus vs S88 vs S88n I'm gleaning somewhat out of a Stummi-a CS2 S88 Thread.

S88-N is between the S88 modules themselves and the S88 LINK. CAN is from S88 LINK to the CS2.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline clapcott  
#17 Posted : 07 May 2016 13:19:46(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

Cat5 is twisted pair cable - it has 4 pairs (8 wires) of which the S88 system only needs 6.

your terminology is indistinct and imprecise - and inaccuarate.

The Cable is not twisted
it is the pairs that are twisted - with different tpm

Which "S88 system" ?
Yes the 6 pin flat cable only had 6 wires
the RJ45 implementation (the so called S88-N) may only have 6 signal lines of functional distinction but these are defined and utilised across 7 wires of the cable.

Quote:
There has to be a reason the electrical interconnection was changed from the 6 parallel ribbon-cable scheme to a twisted pair Cat5 electrical interconnection.

I very much doubt there is a single reason. A number of items have changed in the last 30 years
- Cat5 was not ratified when the 6088 was first designed.
- the design capability of S88 ports was only 256 - for 6050/1 (limited to 48 for the 6023)
- the "electrical" spec only offered a 2 meter bus length for the string of S88s
- and was based on a 5V power rail.
- polled v interrupt driven
- OEM manufacturers wanting to be "seen" to be different

The debate about "need" v "want", when it came to determining whether the S88s actually needed to live out on the layout is worth bringing up.

For close to 20 years I have been quite happy with my S88s close to the control desk, AND to use Cat5 cables to wire the individual sensors from the layout to the S88 desk. (8 ports per cable, 2 cabled for a 6088(0) )
I found using a single cable to group 8 ports to a certain area of the layout as extremely effective and tidy/disciplined , especially when it cam to debugging.

With the new version of S88s nothing has changed , the 60881(S88 AC) fits my current regime, the 60883(Link S88 = L88) offering with its "matrix mode" is primarily for control desk wiring rather than layout wiring anyway.

What is NEW, and invites a change of thinking, is the 60882 (S88 DC) whereby it IS more prudent for the module to be in close proximity to the power feed lines to the track.
However, if you have no intention to use the 60882, then I would not go out of my way to place the other S88s "out on the layout"

Quote:

It may be that its easier to wire up the the connections between modules as obtaining and making Cat5 cables of arbitrary length is very easy and inexpensive these days.

Yep, here I quite agree, using industry standard cables and connectors is great for their price benefits.

That said the ITC industry has been going through a bit of turmoil, as certification of cables includes the quality of the plug termination. For a number of years data centers wishing to meet certification needs have stopped making up their own "made to length" patch cables in lieu of certified ones.

Quote:
You certainly benefit from greater interference rejection with Cat5 vs the parallel ribbon approach...,

There are certainly benefits to be had ... whether the S88 clocking and data frequency make the Cat5 the best chocie is debatable - it is just a convenient medium.

- It is relevant to note that the S88 clock and ground use a common pair (Blue - Blue/White)
However I am curious to note that ...
- the high frequency data line is paired with the power line and not a ground
- The configuration where the PS(Load) signal (a very low frequency pulse compared to clock/data) has its own ground as a paired signal really does not appear to be making the most of the twisted pair benefits.

My conclusion is that the tpm of the pairs in a Cat5 cable are not really matched to the frequency being used, and as such the benefits are because of better quality wire in the cable and , more importantly, the electronics in the sender and receiver S88s.

If this was seriously being investigated the physical implementation would be differential pairs and not single ended. Correct termination would also assure benefits, and if any sort of auto termination is currently in place, it is within the device and not the cable.

Quote:
Others can explain the issues related to deploying S88 detection over a larger layout space better than I can.

My experience is that keeping it simple is the best path forward.
If you compromise on the quality of your wiring , or do not understand and adhere to discrimination of the return signal where needed then you end up on a downward spiral.

Personally I would recommend minimizing any sensing that use track "0" return (i.e. circuit tracks), and separating out these to their own isolated S88.
Peter
Offline French_Fabrice  
#18 Posted : 08 May 2016 12:03:25(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the maximum number of feedback contacts using a L88.

1) Reading the doc, it is stated that each bus (Bus 1,2,3) can have up to 31 feedback units per bus. Thus, the result is (31*3*16) + 16 contacts of L88 itself on bus 0, giving a grand total of 1504 contacts. Is it true, or is there an other limitation somewhere ? (I have read here and there, but never in official Marklin doc. a limit of 1024 contacts)...

2) Is it possible to add an other L88 to the CS2, to increase the total of contacts ?

Many thanks for your ...feedback Wink

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline MaerklinLife  
#19 Posted : 08 May 2016 21:49:53(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post
2) Is it possible to add an other L88 to the CS2, to increase the total of contacts?

I have had two L88 modules on the club's modular layout. One module for each end of the layout. The only wire we had to draw was the Märklin Bus wire and some 60125'es. It worked perfectly. I got the impression from the CS2 that adding another S88 LINK module meant adding additional S88 buses. You address each S88 LINK module first, then the contact number.

I think the amount of modules is only limited by how much the CS2 and its hardware ressources (ability to check all the S88 contacts quick enough) can handle.
Offline clapcott  
#20 Posted : 09 May 2016 05:02:41(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post

1) Reading the doc, it is stated that each bus (Bus 1,2,3) can have up to 31 feedback units per bus. Thus, the result is (31*3*16) + 16 contacts of L88 itself on bus 0, giving a grand total of 1504 contacts. Is it true, or is there an other limitation somewhere ? (I have read here and there, but never in official Marklin doc. a limit of 1024 contacts)...

I offer the following perspective, but maybe not a concrete answer.

1) The current S88 port on the CS2 is said to support 64 S88s with 16 x 64 = 1024 ports.
This may be where that number came from.

The phrasing in the CS2 manual is fine when it says ...
The control unit can store up to 64 feedback modules
but then it qualifies it with (S88 bus and CAN bus) :

The CAN bus reference is the confusing bit as ...

On the CS2 itself we are actually able to select/configure native (non CAN) ports 1 to 1024
(e.g. when placing a sensor on the Layout/or attaching to a memory route.)

It may be that 1024 is the Total upper limit and these may be on the native port or spread accross all ports in the system
I do not have an environment where I can connect 64 S88s so cannot test

2) For the L88 (60883 LinkS88) another bit of misunderstanding has crept in , but this time it is not just the document writer.

The number 31 might be interpreted by some as meaning 31 units or it might mean units with IDs 0 to 31 - thus 32 units (= 512 ports).
In the CS2 - the layout panel, for example, is quite happy to let you configure 512 ports (16 x 32) on each of the 3 external busses.

HOWEVER
In the setup configuration, where you define how many S88s to scan for on each of these busses, it sticks to 0-31.

One of these has to be wrong.

3) Other
- the L88 itself (Bus 0) may be configured like a S88 with 16 ports as per your equation.
However it may also be configured in matrix mode meaning a max 8x8 configuration offering a total of 64 sensor points are available.

- Other ports , from other devices may be added to the count i.e. Slave CS2s with their own S88s natively attached
Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline French_Fabrice  
#21 Posted : 09 May 2016 19:01:28(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Thank you, Peter.

At least, you have reminded me where the "1024" value was quoted.

Unfortunately, I don't have such 64 S88 devices to test on internal CS2 S88 bus if it's true or not.

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 09 May 2016 21:30:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   

your terminology is indistinct and imprecise - and inaccuarate.

The Cable is not twisted
it is the pairs that are twisted - with different tpm

This may just be differences in naming conventions - twisted pair cable, ok maybe I should have said "twisted pair" cable. Cat 5 is a cable, it is composed of twisted pairs.
I would argue its not inaccurate to call it a twisted pair cable as most folks that work with Cat5/5e understand what is meant when one says "twisted pair cable".

Quote:
You certainly benefit from greater interference rejection with Cat5 vs the parallel ribbon approach...,

There are certainly benefits to be had ... whether the S88 clocking and data frequency make the Cat5 the best chocie is debatable - it is just a convenient medium.

- It is relevant to note that the S88 clock and ground use a common pair (Blue - Blue/White)
However I am curious to note that ...
- the high frequency data line is paired with the power line and not a ground
- The configuration where the PS(Load) signal (a very low frequency pulse compared to clock/data) has its own ground as a paired signal really does not appear to be making the most of the twisted pair benefits.

My conclusion is that the tpm of the pairs in a Cat5 cable are not really matched to the frequency being used, and as such the benefits are because of better quality wire in the cable and , more importantly, the electronics in the sender and receiver S88s.

Could well be, I didn't dig into the frequency rates of say a 10mbps or 100mbps or 1000mbps signal vs what the S88 bus uses. Maybe its all about more consistent sourcing of the raw cabling and generally better/more consistent attachment of the connectors (RJ45), vs the ribbon cable/ header connector. Certainly shielded Cat5 family of cables can help if one has an interference problem that come from running the wires past transformers, fluorescent lights, motors for turntables or other motorized layout components.

Quote:
Others can explain the issues related to deploying S88 detection over a larger layout space better than I can.

My experience is that keeping it simple is the best path forward.
If you compromise on the quality of your wiring , or do not understand and adhere to discrimination of the return signal where needed then you end up on a downward spiral.

Personally I would recommend minimizing any sensing that use track "0" return (i.e. circuit tracks), and separating out these to their own isolated S88.

Can you clarify/elaborate on what is meant by "track 0 return" (circuit tracks) ? This appears to be important wisdom.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Roland  
#23 Posted : 24 December 2016 15:56:52(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
The S88 LINK itself delivers the first 16 ports (same as an S88 AC). You can, however, configure those ports to represent 64 input buttons, giving you the option to create a real switchboard with buttons that you can use for switching turnouts, setting routes or signals. The latter is quite useful, IMO.

Interesting. I didnt know Link s88 decoders had the ability to control a switch. Am I understanding this correctly?
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 24 December 2016 23:36:09(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Not quite. The device can read a push button as its input which then through the control software causes a turnout to change states. The Link S88 doesn't control anything, it reads the state of a mechanical button/switch, which is then used by the control software.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Roland  
#25 Posted : 25 December 2016 05:44:46(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Not quite. The device can read a push button as its input which then through the control software causes a turnout to change states. The Link S88 doesn't control anything, it reads the state of a mechanical button/switch, which is then used by the control software.

Ok and the control software still uses an m83 for example to switch the turnout?
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB