Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2016 03:49:08(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Here are some pics of a Marklin 3308 BR-85 that I redoing. I had originally converted it to digital with a 9050 about 15 years ago. I just replaced the decoder with a new Marklin sound decoder. I started by cutting out the driver's side window to be able to have a driver figure looking out. I modified one of the figures from the Faller Lokfuhrer set until I was satisfied that he looked OK. I them repainted him and glued him in place. Using Humbrol Signal Red I pained the center axle and the outer rim of the wheels. On these older Marklin locos, these are shiny nickel plated which isn't very realistic.

I them airbrushed some Tamiya German Grey to simulate grime and then followed it up with Tamiya Buff to simulate road dirt and dust. I confined this to the lower half of the engine cab, saddle tanks and running gear. I added Tamiya Flat Black to the uppermost areas to represent soot deposits. Finally, I sealed it all with a coating of Testors Dullcote and to lay a foundation for the rust and lime deposits I plan to add later using powder pigments.

Looking for some feedback at to what you all think.

Chuck

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 20 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2016 04:34:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Chuck, as you've mentioned you are adding other deposits later on and from my point of view one could say it is as important as having telex coupling or a driver being present. my concern has always been how bold are we by recreating such wear and tear, rust, lime deposits and grime and dust. I think unless you have a prototype in front of you and take some pictures, trying to duplicate it without it will never be a mirror image of the real thing and in the end one could ask the question was it all worth it especially when buying a weathered product of the shelf which in my opinion is weathered down example of a working steam horse.

my feedback is therefore neutral as I have not seen the end product as yet and unless I see a prototype picture and compare it with a weathered example it will be impossible to rank such a project.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2016 18:27:45(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
A lot of black and white photos of BR85, but so far I'm having trouble finding too many colour versions. As they were retired in 1961, and only 10 prototypes existed, colour photos are probably not super plentiful.

Here is one from era III:

UserPostedImage

Black and white:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

However, copying weathering on other era II/III DR/DB tank locomotives would likely be comparable.

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2016 18:58:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Chuck,

In my opinion your weathering looks good. It looks like it's due a visit to the shed for a clean-up and service! BigGrin

Although I admire weathering which has been well done on a model I prefer my models to look pristine. I prefer to represent the image the real railway would have liked to project, rather than the reality of the dirt and grime of everyday service.

I like your idea of painting the rims and axle ends on the wheels. I agree they look too shiny on these older models.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2016 19:04:01(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
The nickle axles are one of the biggest tells for the older models putting them off for realism. Just painting them has made a tremedous difference on this model. I think it loos good. Looking at prototype photos you will never see them shiny and nickle plated, the moderned blackened metal Marklin is much more close to the real thing. BR85 were often used as helpers doing hard work on heavy grades. It's not impossible in my mind that they would be dirtier than general service locomotives.

However, for supreme irony, here is the only preserved BR 85 (007) today. Someone thought it would be good if it looked more like 3308/3309! :)

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2016 19:57:09(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks John, Ray, & Brandon for your feedback. Also, thanks Brandon for the pics. The overhead shot is very useful and it shows the lime deposits on top of the boiler in front of the cab.

I realize that my weathering may be slightly overdone, but I think that in HO scale it needs to be to really look "scale". My main concern was to cover the drive rods and valve linkage. You notice that in all the pics, you can see how grimy this area gets. I usually use pics of American prototypes for my inspiration as they are much more plentiful and my thinking is that a steam loco is a steam loco as far as dirt and grime is concerned. I know that this thinking is not always correct. Huh

Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 27 April 2016 20:38:01(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Thanks John, Ray, & Brandon for your feedback. Also, thanks Brandon for the pics. The overhead shot is very useful and it shows the lime deposits on top of the boiler in front of the cab.

I realize that my weathering may be slightly overdone, but I think that in HO scale it needs to be to really look "scale". My main concern was to cover the drive rods and valve linkage. You notice that in all the pics, you can see how grimy this area gets. I usually use pics of American prototypes for my inspiration as they are much more plentiful and my thinking is that a steam loco is a steam loco as far as dirt and grime is concerned. I know that this thinking is not always correct. Huh

It's those darn DR/DB guys taking care of their locos! You will see Era IV steam locos starting to look pretty ugly. But, as I said, only 10 prototypes, all working hard, maybe it was hard to find extra locos on the roster to take one down for cleaning :)

I agree with the weathering principle. I find that compared to the real thing sometimes weathering needs to be exaggerated to make sense in an H0 world. It's all really a bit of a theater production anyway :)

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline NZMarklinist  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2016 01:04:35(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
The nickle axles are one of the biggest tells for the older models putting them off for realism. Just painting them has made a tremedous difference on this model. I think it loos good. Looking at prototype photos you will never see them shiny and nickle plated, the moderned blackened metal Marklin is much more close to the real thing. BR85 were often used as helpers doing hard work on heavy grades. It's not impossible in my mind that they would be dirtier than general service locomotives.

However, for supreme irony, here is the only preserved BR 85 (007) today. Someone thought it would be good if it looked more like 3308/3309! :)

UserPostedImage

-Brandon

Good one Brandon, I actually saw this Lok 85.007, in Freiburg as my train over the Hollental Bahn was arriving there. It is out in the far reaches of the yard at Freiburg Hbf but sadly it / she does not look as good as your photo, at least it didn't on the day, Friday 4th October 2013. Rather Rusty and neglected looking, in it's open "carport", I thought, as we glided past. I was so surprised, I missed the photo opportunity Cursing That was after attending Marklin days 2013 Wink

I have decided, some time ago, to purchase a mint 3309 and digitise it with sounds, when I can find one, and have repurposed that decision, instead of this year's Insider 96.006.

I don't mind too much about the wheels, it signifies that it's a traditional old style M model, Cool and I have very few of those.

I ordered the 37098 set of two '85's, 85.001 &85.002 when it was announced and I noticed Lokshop were offering them at a very keen price.
Thanks also for pics of that one's prototype ThumpUp

Skeeter's weathering looks very good, better then most factory jobs I've seen ThumpUp
Perhaps I should add 3308 to my collection also, because at least, it is different without the "ears" Wink Scared
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline 3rail4life  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2016 23:00:55(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Very nice Chuck, great work! ThumpUp ThumpUp I think it looks really good.

Cheers,
Gordon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline skeeterbuck  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2016 13:55:57(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks Glen and Gordon for the feedback. I'm hoping that the weathering pigments I ordered with be here for the weekend so I can add the finishing touches.

Chuck
Offline BrandonVA  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2016 15:19:47(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
One more image to help you finalize the job :) BR85 is one of my favourite loks. When 37098 came out, I got 37098-01, which is fantastic. Sometimes I wish I got both!

UserPostedImage

-Brandon
Offline skeeterbuck  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2016 15:39:03(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks again Brandon! The BR85's are one of my favorites too. BigGrin That's one the the reasons I wanted to give this workhorse a facelift. Of all my Marklin engines I think this may have the most running hours.

I'd wished when Marklin issued the 37098 set one would have been a DRG version. Cursing Oh well.RollEyes

Chuck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline BrandonVA  
#13 Posted : 29 April 2016 16:21:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

I'd wished when Marklin issued the 37098 set one would have been a DRG version. Cursing Oh well.RollEyes

Chuck

In addition to 3308/3708, Marklin also made a DR version in 1997, 33081.

UserPostedImage

Marklin did make these DB versions: 3309, 3709, 37095, 37096, 37097, 37098 (-01/-02) . There were a couple of Hamo versions as well. I suspect if they develop a new tooling for BR85 we will see more DR and DB issues.

-Brandon
Offline skeeterbuck  
#14 Posted : 29 April 2016 16:51:16(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Since Marklin just released the BR95 another 2-10-2T loco, I would think that updating the BR 85 wouldn't be in their near future, but you never know. Wink

I would think that a version of the BR95 in DRG may be a more likely offering from Marklin in the near future.

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline mrmarklin  
#15 Posted : 30 April 2016 05:21:36(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Since Marklin just released the BR95 another 2-10-2T loco, I would think that updating the BR 85 wouldn't be in their near future, but you never know. Wink

I would think that a version of the BR95 in DRG may be a more likely offering from Marklin in the near future.

Chuck

Can't wait for DRG version of BR 95 to come out!Flapper Drool

BR 85 is also one of my favorites. I just upgraded my 3308 to MFX sound etc. the great weathering demonstrated above has inspired me to do the same. I will publish a pic when it is accomplished. Glare
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline NZMarklinist  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2016 02:54:27(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Thanks again Brandon! The BR85's are one of my favorites too. BigGrin That's one the the reasons I wanted to give this workhorse a facelift. Of all my Marklin engines I think this may have the most running hours.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, you already have a DRG version with your 3308 Wink Confused
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline NZMarklinist  
#17 Posted : 01 May 2016 03:10:25(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Chuck

I think you would be correct Chuck.

The problem with new builds with fixed chassis is that you only get a two axle Loco model as far as tractive effort is concerned. The middle three axles are lightly sprung and provide no traction at all which affects their ability to pull heavy trains, or in some cases much of a train at all up a grade or spiral, evidenced by my newer class 50's and 41's Glare Bored

This is what regretfully, made me decide to pass on this year's Insider model, the class 96, and instead, invest Scared Wink , in one or two maybe, other Class 85's,

A DRG version of the '96 might tempt me for "light duties" Wink

Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2016 11:29:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Although I'm reasonably happy with my Br85 a replacement from Marklin has been on the cards for some time, and this has come in the form of the BR95.

The old Br85 includes a lot of obsolete features which have no place in today's new Marklin range. It has a plastic body with basic detail, a noisy DCM motor, obstructed cab, and an inefficient over-geared drive train. The Br95 looks so much better!
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline skeeterbuck  
#19 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:08:12(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Well, I was able to get back to finishing my BR85 and I ran into a problem. Cursing

The weathering powders that I ordered arrived Friday just in time for some weekend work. I applied the powders and had it looking rather good. When I airbrushed the Testors Dullcote over the powders to fix them in place I noticed that the color all but disappeared. Confused Oh well I thought they're show up once the Dullcote dries. WRONG! When it dried it looked like I had never added them in the first place. I had applied about 6 or more light coats because I wanted the covering to be durable. It has to stand up not only to handling but the splattering of the smoke fluid. Oh well, as a modeller I'm no stranger to projects not going as planned.

Starting over, I decided that I would just use paint for all the weathering and in the end I glad I did. I not only added some whitening on the top and in the whistle area to simulate lime deposit buildup but also added some light rust streaks down the tank sides in the area of the water fill hatches at to both couplers. The final touch was adding pin washed to the piping detail, air pumps, walk grates and any other detail parts to help make the molder in detail "pop". I have some scale coal ordered to add to the bin when it arrives. I'll post some pics when I'm finally finished.

On a slight different note, I noticed in looking for info on this engine that Marklin issued it in two different style packages. One is the normal white box and cover sleeve and the other is a rather unique blue based box with a clear top and sleeve. I kinda looks like the later Primex style clear view boxes. I can't recall ever seeing this style of packaging used for any other Marklin products. Why was this done? Is it unique to this one engine? Is one style box rarer than the other?Thanks for any help.

Chuck
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#20 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:12:28(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Chuck

Hi Chuck, you already have a DRG version with your 3308 Wink Confused

Yea, I know what you're saying. Laugh I guess I meant one with all the new features like a can motor, sound etc. Woot

Chuck
Offline skeeterbuck  
#21 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:18:41(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Chuck

I think you would be correct Chuck.

The problem with new builds with fixed chassis is that you only get a two axle Loco model as far as tractive effort is concerned. The middle three axles are lightly sprung and provide no traction at all which affects their ability to pull heavy trains, or in some cases much of a train at all up a grade or spiral, evidenced by my newer class 50's and 41's Glare Bored

This is what regretfully, made me decide to pass on this year's Insider model, the class 96, and instead, invest Scared Wink , in one or two maybe, other Class 85's,

A DRG version of the '96 might tempt me for "light duties" Wink

That's an interesting observation Glen. I seem to find that the newer loco seem to pull better for me. Confused The newer locos with the can motor drives I think are geared lower which adds to their pulling power.

Chuck

Offline skeeterbuck  
#22 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:22:56(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Although I'm reasonably happy with my Br85 a replacement from Marklin has been on the cards for some time, and this has come in the form of the BR95.

The old Br85 includes a lot of obsolete features which have no place in today's new Marklin range. It has a plastic body with basic detail, a noisy DCM motor, obstructed cab, and an inefficient over-geared drive train. The Br95 looks so much better!

I agree Ray! ThumpUp Though I must admit that I prefer the overall look of the BR 85 over the BR 95. Drool

Chuck

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:54:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Well, I was able to get back to finishing my BR85 and I ran into a problem. Cursing

On a slight different note, I noticed in looking for info on this engine that Marklin issued it in two different style packages. One is the normal white box and cover sleeve and the other is a rather unique blue based box with a clear top and sleeve. I kinda looks like the later Primex style clear view boxes. I can't recall ever seeing this style of packaging used for any other Marklin products. Why was this done? Is it unique to this one engine? Is one style box rarer than the other?Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I think the clear box you mentioned was unique to the Br85 and was only used for the first versions. I suspect it was an experimental design of packaging which they chose not to continue. I believe that this box design comes chronologically between the blue/orange type and the white type.

I don't have any of these boxes, but I have heard that they fall apart rather easily....
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 02 May 2016 14:55:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

I agree Ray! ThumpUp Though I must admit that I prefer the overall look of the BR 85 over the BR 95. Drool

Chuck

I'm with you on that! The Br85 is a much prettier design of loco! ThumpUp

Maybe one day Marklin will re-tool the Br85 to modern standards?
Ray
Offline DaleSchultz  
#25 Posted : 02 May 2016 16:09:33(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looking good!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 02 May 2016 19:18:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I think the clear box you mentioned was unique to the Br85 and was only used for the first versions. I suspect it was an experimental design of packaging which they chose not to continue. I believe that this box design comes chronologically between the blue/orange type and the white type.

I don't have any of these boxes, but I have heard that they fall apart rather easily....

I seem to recall there was a second loco that came out at the same time that also had this style box, but I can't remember what it was. I know the box style lasted only a short time. It may have been a trial to see how well the design went before using it for the whole range.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline BrandonVA  
#27 Posted : 02 May 2016 20:18:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I have seen this as well, but pretty much exclusively on early issues of the 3308/3309 models. I believe this packaging became brittle and fell apart over time. I seem recall reading somewhere that this was introduced for the 1985 models only, but I can't guarantee my memory is correct. I have (to admit to having?) two 3309 models, both came in the later white box.

Additional discussion in part about the early 3308/3309 boxes:

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...t16716_3309-queries.aspx

-Brandon
Offline skeeterbuck  
#28 Posted : 05 May 2016 01:26:11(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Here's the final pic as promised. Watcha think? Tongue

Chuck
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline foumaro  
#29 Posted : 05 May 2016 08:37:30(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
ThumpUp Just perfect.LOL
Offline RayF  
#30 Posted : 05 May 2016 12:08:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Great job! ThumpUp
Ray
Offline Thewolf  
#31 Posted : 05 May 2016 15:23:59(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Simply wonderfulThumpUp

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Webmaster  
#32 Posted : 05 May 2016 23:06:59(UTC)
Webmaster

I just love this loco, my first addition when I bought it in the mid-90's for a rather cheap price after getting my old stuff back from my parents attic to restart the hobby...
Was just amazed how silent it was compare to my childhood locos, especially with the electronic reverser... Even mounted a smoke unit into it...

Looked really majestic for a guy raised on 3003, 3000 & 3029... I suppose that is one of the many reasons why this site exists... Wink Smile

Thanks for showing how it can be improved upon visually.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#33 Posted : 11 June 2016 22:51:44(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Brilliant weathering!
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline skeeterbuck  
#34 Posted : 12 June 2016 13:33:53(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thanks all for the positive comments of support. Smile

Chuck
Offline marklinist5999  
#35 Posted : 07 April 2021 11:22:46(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Here are some pics of a Marklin 3308 BR-85 that I redoing. I had originally converted it to digital with a 9050 about 15 years ago. I just replaced the decoder with a new Marklin sound decoder. I started by cutting out the driver's side window to be able to have a driver figure looking out. I modified one of the figures from the Faller Lokfuhrer set until I was satisfied that he looked OK. I them repainted him and glued him in place. Using Humbrol Signal Red I pained the center axle and the outer rim of the wheels. On these older Marklin locos, these are shiny nickel plated which isn't very realistic.

I them airbrushed some Tamiya German Grey to simulate grime and then followed it up with Tamiya Buff to simulate road dirt and dust. I confined this to the lower half of the engine cab, saddle tanks and running gear. I added Tamiya Flat Black to the uppermost areas to represent soot deposits. Finally, I sealed it all with a coating of Testors Dullcote and to lay a foundation for the rust and lime deposits I plan to add later using powder pigments.

Looking for some feedback at to what you all think.

Chuck

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

It's very well done! The tanks are metal as well as the boiler? I'm looking for a newer version with close couplers. The cost to retrofit an older model will be half the cost of a new one. That is with sound.