Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Please nominate your preferred meet up day of the week. You can choose more than one day of the week.
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 13 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2016 11:18:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Brisbane doesn't have a Marklin club like the South Australian and NZ guys. Its probably because we are all huge introverts and, consequentially, very shy..

It is probably time to have another Brisbane catch-up.. The last one was about 10 years ago - we were all working then.. Somewhere cheap and actually in Brisbane this time..

I like the Breakfast Creek Hotel - pretty good steak and they have a Rum bar.. Smile If you don't do steak, they now have a cart that sells things like meat pies..

You can still get a beer cheaper than coffee.. Laugh But then, this is Australia! LOL

Any takers?

p.s. Do we invite FDs? On one had they are useful for getting us home after a long afternoon of talking and drinking, but they do pass judgement on our hobby.. With luck they will gather at another part of the pub and keep out of our way..

p.p.s. Interstate and overseas visitors are also invited.. Of course, the invite extends to Queenslanders who live outside Brisbane.. LOL

Edited by user 01 June 2016 06:16:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2016 13:51:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,
Good idea.
The Breakfast Creek Hotel is a great idea, reasonably central, and easy to get to.

As regards timing, the Brisbane Model train Show is on Saturday/Sunday 7th/8th May.
So I would suggest a spot this coming week or so (maybe the Friday through to Monday) to catch any out-of-towners coming to the show.
Otherwise leave it for a few weeks to get organised.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2016 13:51:47(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Surely since we are modelling german trains it must be the German Club or Bavarian Bier Café? somewhere I can get a Franziskaner;)

I have never been to a model train meet since I am of the younger generation, though I am interested. Might drag my father along too! Would all depend when since he works shift and I have a call out 1 in 6 weeks.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2016 13:58:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Eric,
I think the venue might depend on whether it is available at lunch time or afternoon time, as well as evenings.
This will give interested persons a chance to find a consensual time.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2016 04:19:55(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
As regards timing, the Brisbane Model train Show is on Saturday/Sunday 7th/8th May

Good idea, but a little soon. Plus it is Mothers Day (otherwise know as FD's day) on the Sunday..

It's still 30C (it was yesterday before the rain came today), so I was aiming for a cooler time..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2016 04:25:47(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
... I have a call out 1 in 6 weeks.

As soon as you know your call out dates can you please post them here so that we look for dates around them?

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline ixldoc  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2016 08:46:38(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Adrian,
Good idea.
The Breakfast Creek Hotel is a great idea, reasonably central, and easy to get to.

As regards timing, the Brisbane Model train Show is on Saturday/Sunday 7th/8th May.
So I would suggest a spot this coming week or so (maybe the Friday through to Monday) to catch any out-of-towners coming to the show.
Otherwise leave it for a few weeks to get organised.

regards
Kimball

Speaking of which my friend Greg will be there at the show with his mobile Marklin layout, which a small group of friends and relatives work on each year. It is quite an effort to transport, assemble and disassemble it for just two days but apparently the venue is not available on the May day weekend. If any forum member visits the show please make yourself known to us for a chat or whatever.

It would be nice if another Marklin set up appeared one year as we seem to be the lone standard bearer. I am fully aware this is not an easy task to perform though, as most members build a home layout for the train room. (myself included).

Hope to see you there,
Howard.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline trainnut  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2016 10:08:31(UTC)
trainnut

Australia   
Yes I'm up for a meet up in Brisbane.Time or date in the next 3-4 months not a problem. Live on the Gold Coast.Will keep a look out for any developments.
John.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by trainnut
Offline DamonKelly  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2016 11:23:45(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
I'm interested as well -- any time, with a few week's notice.
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 02 May 2016 01:07:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I can pretty much fit with any venue, time, and date.

regards
Kimball
Offline katz1002  
#11 Posted : 03 May 2016 09:47:14(UTC)
katz1002

Australia   
Interested as well but need a couple of weeks notice to smooth the waters with the Social Secretary (and organise any travel)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by katz1002
Offline Smudge  
#12 Posted : 04 May 2016 11:58:47(UTC)
Smudge

Australia   
"Brisbane doesn't have a Marklin club like the South Australian and NZ guys."

Don't forget us Sydney guys — Marklin Modellers of Sydney club and then there's another more informal group too.

Cheers
Paul
Cheers
Smudge
Marklin Modellers of Sydney
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Smudge
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 01 June 2016 06:19:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
There is now a poll to select the day of the week most likely to suit the majority. (If that makes sense). So you can pick more that one day. In my case, I selected Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Monday and Friday are house work days, while Thursday is grocery shopping. Laugh The week days are quieter. On Saturday, there are raffles - I won last week's raffle - first time in 20 years!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline DamonKelly  
#14 Posted : 01 June 2016 10:40:43(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
There is now a poll to select the day of the week most likely to suit the majority. (If that makes sense). So you can pick more that one day. In my case, I selected Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Monday and Friday are house work days, while Thursday is grocery shopping. Laugh The week days are quieter. On Saturday, there are raffles - I won last week's raffle - first time in 20 years!

Is this intended to be an evening thing, or lunch?
Cheers,
Damon
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 01 June 2016 11:42:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
A lunch thing.. The raffles are finished by 1pm..
Adrian
UserPostedImage