Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Deborail  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2016 19:42:12(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Hi Friends...

I have been a naughty boy...I have been buying more non-marklin/trix items and what's worse, in N Scale.

After visiting Japan, I developed an interest for Japanese trains and especially the KATO N scale and I have bought some of them during my visit and by ebay, especially those that I was using whilst in Japan, like the Shinkansen Nozomi and Hayabusa and also the Yamanote Line...

But just only today, I discovered that I have a mfx decoder no. 60942. This I had bought, a few years ago to put into a certain French crocodile locomotive that , to my surprise, already had a mfx decoder fixed into it. So, to find a home for this orphan decoder, I have just purchased a nice die cast body German locomotive that some how eluded me since 2010. The BR 103. Trix has many of these, the latest ones being 22772 and 22779. I have just ordered the 22779. This has a 21 pin connector and I was just hoping that I could be able to use my unused 60942 mfx decoder in it, in a DCC environment. I hope that I can.
George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2016 21:21:03(UTC)
H0

Hi, George!

Theoretically you can use a 60942 with the 22779. Several customers had problems with their 22779 (lights switching on and off erratically).
I hope you get one that works perfectly right from the start - mine had to go to the service twice.

A paint scheme that Märklin didn't make yet. 103 109 was the first loco of BR 103.1 that went into service and from the start for several years it had a special paint scheme.

My 103 109
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Deborail  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2016 19:42:58(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
Hi Tom,

I opened up the 60942 box and it seems this is a complete kit to convert analog locos to digital. It has the 21 pin decoder, a mounting plate and a 21 pin board receptor with the 21 wires that should be soldered to the locomotive parts...This is a job for skilled modelers, I couldn't do that.

In any case the 22779 has a ready 21 pin connector with a dummy decoder, I know then that this would be easy, just remove the dummy and put the new decoder in.

I will take pictures and upload it once the BR 103 comes to Oman.
George

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2016 20:06:20(UTC)
H0

The decoder 60942 can simply be plugged into the 22779.
So you keep a spare PCB for the conversion of an older loco without decoder socket. It can be used for any decoder with 21MTC socket - I used a few Märklin PCBs for ESU decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Deborail  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2016 18:18:13(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I opened up my 22779 and it already had a 60942 installed in it. So I still have an extra mfx decoder.
Today I placed an order through ebay to ETS for the 31131 set, as I have got a thing about restaurant cars that say 'SPEISERAUM' and this one is half-red half-navy blue.
The rest of the cars are all navy blue (1st class)

The 31131 set was suggested by the catalog that it is the matching set of passenger wagons for the 22779. Can't wait.
I promise photos.
George

Offline TrixforAdults  
#6 Posted : 03 May 2016 01:03:47(UTC)
TrixforAdults

United States   
Hi.

Used a mSD/3 60979 for the 22779! In order to get the SUSI extra functions configured, you need to know that it uses:

Light in the machine room Sound/ Susi 12
Front light side 2 out Sound/ Susi 13
Front light side 1 out Sound/Susi 14
Light drivers cabin 2 Sound/Susi 15
Light drivers cabin 1 Sound/ Susi 16

But with this you can program with the 60971 to have the lights function based on Motion (or standing still) and direction.
The mSD/3 is great! Very loud and Accurate sound, albeit a little digital chop in the sampling.

Tom, on your post you mentioned erratic switching... Mine does that too. Do you have documentation as to what Service did to remove the issue? Was it something on the main board?

Also, note that the ESU Loksound will not support this Model's configuration of the SUSI implementation.

Thanks,

David

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 03 May 2016 08:10:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TrixforAdults Go to Quoted Post
Do you have documentation as to what Service did to remove the issue?
Everything clear as mud.
They replaced the loco board. They told me on the phone that a special decoder firmware was needed. They installed such a special decoder and erratic behaviour remained.
They didn't tell me what they changed on the second trip, but now it works - even with an ordinary MSD.
Maybe it was the SUSI chip on the loco board that needed a firmware upgrade.

The standard 103 sound project uses sound 12, so you need a custom project for this loco that has no sounds in slots 12 through 16.

Have you tried an ESU decoder? Theoretically ESU supports SUSI (off by default IIRC) and I think it should work.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TrixforAdults  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2016 23:10:21(UTC)
TrixforAdults

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TrixforAdults Go to Quoted Post
Do you have documentation as to what Service did to remove the issue?
Everything clear as mud.
They replaced the loco board. They told me on the phone that a special decoder firmware was needed. They installed such a special decoder and erratic behaviour remained.
They didn't tell me what they changed on the second trip, but now it works - even with an ordinary MSD.
Maybe it was the SUSI chip on the loco board that needed a firmware upgrade.

The standard 103 sound project uses sound 12, so you need a custom project for this loco that has no sounds in slots 12 through 16.

Have you tried an ESU decoder? Theoretically ESU supports SUSI (off by default IIRC) and I think it should work.

Thanks! It looks like I will have to use the mDT software and modify the project. That explains why the Engine room light was going on and off. But the others were also going on and off. I will have to see if I will wind up sending it to Göppingen too as I don't think anyone else can update the SUSI firmware. I will have to do that after I get the sound fixed (remove 12) and send it to them. Looks like it will be months before I can enjoy it. Unless, do you have a service record number from you last service and maybe I can call them to find out. Maybe then they will just send me a new mainboard with the right firmware, one can only hope.

This model (maybe because of the SUSI firmware issue) is NOT supported by the SUSI support of ESU decoders. That is why I had to try the mSD/3 instead.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2016 23:17:21(UTC)
H0

I sent my loco to Mother M*, they forwarded it to their service partner Dr. Fürst. After about 5 months I got it back - working as before.
Second round trip was about 1 month only.

Long story short: I don't have a Märklin service record number.

I hope repair goes faster with your loco.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage