Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2016 16:36:18(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Wrote from Marklin Customer service.

'This top product was announced in January at the International Toy Fair and specified with a limit of 999 pieces. Even during the International Toy Fair, we have found, however, that the demand for this crane truck would exceed the planned production quantity by far - and before our Club members could ever know. The talks at the show and first reactions of club members who are then prompted to raise the limit of the crane truck to 1.999 pieces. This makes it possible to prepare a few more customers the joy, to acquire this mobile crane'.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2016 19:40:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Ah, but will they do the same for the 49955 additional set?

Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2016 21:37:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Ah, but will they do the same for the 49955 additional set?

Possible same 1,999 piece or maybe more that.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2016 13:34:51(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Let's all hope that for Märklin that this is a very good thing happening and a good sign for the future. PeterCool
Offline JohnDMJ  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2016 20:08:59(UTC)
JohnDMJ

United Kingdom   
As of 11 April, 49954 and 49955 (including extra 1000) completely sold out. The UK distributor of Maerklin / Trix can not get any!
J
Warning: Posts can be a source of diabolical puns and bad jokes, but, hey! (Can't take a joke, shouldn't have joined!)
Once upon a time, I couldn't spell 'engineer'; now I are one!
What kind of trainee are you? Loco clicker, loco spotter, stock spotter, track basher, buffer kisser, modeller, model shop spotter, rivet counter? You're all out there!
What you get here is my own view and in no way reflects on the views of my employer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnDMJ
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2016 20:42:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnDMJ Go to Quoted Post
As of 11 April, 49954 and 49955 (including extra 1000) completely sold out. The UK distributor of Maerklin / Trix can not get any!

Advance order Still available from some Germany mail order dealers.

Lokshop - https://shop.lokshop.de/...j2e548lt4jcm64vao3u14bg7

Walter - http://www.walthershop.d...&p1=481&sf=49954
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Rwill  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2016 10:30:20(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnDMJ Go to Quoted Post

Amusing insight into Gaugemaster marketing.

Normally M products seem to be available from the M dealers at list price less 10% less maybe a little loyalty discount and good delivery rates abroad.

GM pricing seems to be along the lines of take the 10% discount off then apply an exchange rate of one euro equals one pound (who knows after June they may be right!) then add the delivery and almost everything is only avaible to order. So for example popular items such as 37200 or 37464 are £270 plus delivery

Now then the 49954 limited edition, sought after, rare etc the German dealers seemed to be sticking to the list of 1000 Euros (keep the change) and selling them.

So now GM know they are no longer orderable from M show on their website as £825 sold out no more available - who are they kidding?

Went there last weekend admired the display of M goods from the UK main dealer (all kept in one small glass cabinet), bought a pot of smoke fluid and came home.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 03 May 2016 02:59:01(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The 49954 has been shipping for a couple of weeks now, but I have yet to find any comments/reviews on it.

Does anyone have (themselves or colleague or dealer) experience with this item. AND its accompanying documentation

I expect a flyer (historically a pink piece of paper) shipped with the item indicating what level of CS2 firmware is required
(I suspect 4.2 although 4.5 has been bandied around)

Also, the usual WOO booklet, that accompanies mFX+ items, should have an image of the screen (expected after the next CS2 update) and I would like to know if the one one I found and posted in the "mFX+ FAQ ..." thread is anywhere close to reality.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 03 May 2016 08:03:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have (themselves or colleague or dealer) experience with this item. AND its accompanying documentation
A friend of mine didn't come to the club meeting last Thursday.
He had just received his Goliath and was very disappointed because it didn't work. Sound were on, but nothing moved. I have no information about the documentation.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2016 02:30:55(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
He had just received his Goliath and was very disappointed because it didn't work. Sound were on, but nothing moved. I have no information about the documentation.

Cursing Scared

I bought a 49950 on ebay 11 years ago and it doesn't rotate properly, and since I took it to Goppingen in 2005 to see if I could find someone to fix it, then posted it home without a fix, it also has some broken pieces but at least operates, sort of Cursing .

So in the hope of having a perfect example I ordered this new version and it currently is in stock at Lokshop Scared

Perhaps I should cancel Sad Unsure

I am aware btw, that the confounded things are made by a Chinese manufacturer for Marklin & Trix
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline thomasm  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2016 20:37:54(UTC)
thomasm

Norway   
Hi,

I've just played a little bit with my new crane, and as far as i can imagine, it works flawless...

.thomas
Märklinist, hobbyist and collector. || Trains are meant to be driven.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thomasm
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2016 14:36:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: thomasm Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I've just played a little bit with my new crane, and as far as i can imagine, it works flawless...

.thomas

That is encouraging Thomas, I'm glad to hear that you are happy with yours.

Does anyone else have this crane and would you care to comment?

I am a bit surprised that Marklin's featured item for the year is being made in China. That makes me think this might be the new plan from Marklin, to make more things in China, particularly their high end items. It would make more sense to me to make their commodity models in China and keep the top level model production in Europe. I guess doing things this way I they can maximize profit if not customer satisfaction.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that things made in China are inferior and I have read the other forum threads about this. But Marklin models made in China seem to have more issues than their products made in Germany and Hungary from what I have read elsewhere, and that makes me pause when considering such expensive items.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mrmarklin  
#13 Posted : 16 June 2016 16:44:30(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Even the 1998 version was made in China.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2016 20:10:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Even the 1998 version was made in China.

That is interesting - I stopped collecting or even following Marklin for a long time and I never realized until recently just how many Marklin things have been made in China over the years.

At a high level that subject was already well covered here in several threads and I am getting up to speed as to where Marklin stands today. Some of it I like and some of it I don't. Pretty much like any company that needs to make money to survive. I just like to hear from owners of different models to get an idea of what things are worth investing in and which items are not. To me it seems like a mixed bag at this point.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 18 June 2016 16:58:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: thomasm Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

.thomas

That is encouraging Thomas, I'm glad to hear that you are happy with yours.

Does anyone else have this crane and would you care to comment?

I am a bit surprised that Marklin's featured item for the year is being made in China. That makes me think this might be the new plan from Marklin, to make more things in China, particularly their high end items. It would make more sense to me to make their commodity models in China and keep the top level model production in Europe. I guess doing things this way I they can maximize profit if not customer satisfaction.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that things made in China are inferior and I have read the other forum threads about this. But Marklin models made in China seem to have more issues than their products made in Germany and Hungary from what I have read elsewhere, and that makes me pause when considering such expensive items.

I think you will find that they are making limited quantity high end items in China through the Korean company they seem to have teamed up with (see the thread on the S2/6 where there is a link to the company website). Speaking to a Marklin representative at the Treff last year it is evident they have cultivated a real good relationship with this company who have been making good quality stuff for the American MRR market for many years. I suspect this other company is keeping tabs on the quality control issues allowing quality product to be manufactured.

The problem with making commodity items in China is that to there is no advantage to doing this unless you get stuff made by the cut price factories, and then the quality will suffer much faster than you get cost savings. It is practical to do with high end items because there are savings in manufacturing cost that can be made without compromising the quality of the finished item.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 18 June 2016 18:21:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I think you will find that they are making limited quantity high end items in China through the Korean company they seem to have teamed up with (see the thread on the S2/6 where there is a link to the company website). Speaking to a Marklin representative at the Treff last year it is evident they have cultivated a real good relationship with this company who have been making good quality stuff for the American MRR market for many years. I suspect this other company is keeping tabs on the quality control issues allowing quality product to be manufactured.

The problem with making commodity items in China is that to there is no advantage to doing this unless you get stuff made by the cut price factories, and then the quality will suffer much faster than you get cost savings. It is practical to do with high end items because there are savings in manufacturing cost that can be made without compromising the quality of the finished item.

OK - I guess that makes sense. I have several high-end Apple products and they were all made in China to a very high standard. I have also had many great products which were made in South Korea. It sounds like Marklin has found a good Asian partner at last and the S 2/6 remains on my wish list when ones comes along. I am becoming a lot more comfortable with expensive Marklin products made in China and I guess I will find out how they hold up in the long run. The beautiful ESU loks are all made in South Korea and I hear a lot of good things about them.

That Goliath crane sure is a sweet piece of kit and I hope I get to see one eventually. Cool
Regards,
Jim

Offline Rwill  
#17 Posted : 18 June 2016 20:49:55(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
You will know definitely you have a Chinese Lok when the station announcement says, "This train is the Chinese Dentist Express - It will be leaving at tooth hurty"

Sorry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline NZMarklinist  
#18 Posted : 10 July 2016 17:24:49(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Cursing Scared

I bought a 49950 on ebay 11 years ago and it doesn't rotate properly, and since I took it to Goppingen in 2005 to see if I could find someone to fix it, then posted it home without a fix, it also has some broken pieces but at least operates, sort of Cursing .

So in the hope of having a perfect example I ordered this new version and it currently is in stock at Lokshop Scared

I am aware btw, that the confounded things are made by a Chinese manufacturer for Marklin & Trix

My one is now on it's way to me, fortunately Lokshop gave me the extra discount they have been advertising, I hope it is a good example and not a problem one Glare
There are three more available at this price btw Huh

I now have to decide what to do about my defective 49950, try and fix it, send it to Marklin for repair, or scrap it, or sell it as is. Any takers ? It works except it doesn't rotate fully. Any one need some yellow Goliath parts. Actually because of a lack of even parts diagrams, it is difficult to know where to start if one were to try and dismantle it Mad But in light of that, I would imagine the parts could become somewhat valuable ? Blink
Before anyone jumps at this there is also a broken chain hook thing on the back of the Crane that holds the counter weights, and one of the handrails is split. All repairable but .....!?
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 14 July 2016 04:09:17(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Cursing Scared

My one is now on it's way to me, fortunately Lokshop gave me the extra discount they have been advertising, I hope it is a good example and not a problem one Glare
There are three more available at this price btw Huh

I now have to decide what to do about my defective 49950, try and fix it, send it to Marklin for repair, or scrap it, or sell it as is. Any takers ? It works except it doesn't rotate fully. Any one need some yellow Goliath parts. Actually because of a lack of even parts diagrams, it is difficult to know where to start if one were to try and dismantle it Mad But in light of that, I would imagine the parts could become somewhat valuable ? Blink
Before anyone jumps at this there is also a broken chain hook thing on the back of the Crane that holds the counter weights, and one of the handrails is split. All repairable but .....!?

Well I collected it from the Post Office this morning all looking good ! Dedicated World of Operation Manual with a picture of it's cab on the cover and a "Zertificate" claiming it is number 1573. Pics and test report later !
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline dickinsonj  
#20 Posted : 10 June 2017 14:38:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Well I collected it from the Post Office this morning all looking good ! Dedicated World of Operation Manual with a picture of it's cab on the cover and a "Zertificate" claiming it is number 1573. Pics and test report later !

Any additional input on your 49954 Crain Car?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mihirpadhye  
#21 Posted : 10 July 2017 19:10:42(UTC)
mihirpadhye

India   
Hello NZMarklinist,

Hope the new Goliath is giving you all the fun you want. Are you still considering to salvage the parts out of the old 49950 set? Did you manage to open the crane?

Regards
Mihir
Offline Minok  
#22 Posted : 11 July 2017 22:29:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
This is a cool looking model, this crane. Every time I see them on sale somewhere I think, "get one, it would be great to use to model addressing derailments and other incidents". But then the practical person in me chimes in and I'm reminded that as cools as this crane is, you need a large layout to really deploy it well, or be using it for limited/photo purposes only. Because to have a layout that can accommodate this crane you'll have to ensure all of the curved track meet the clearance requirements as the crane moves round the bends, and you need the open spaces to deploy the thing.

But I still think "cool I want one" every time I see one.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok