Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2016 15:24:49(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello everyone.

I have on my testing layout 120 contact points and I use Märklin L88 BUS-1 to connect all these point to CS2. I have then 8 S88 devices all around the layout connected to each other with RJ45 cables. Earth ( or MASS or whatever) is connected to first S88 device. Addresses to these contacts begin fro 1001 and at the moment I have configure L88 all buses to use 10 ms timing.
Everything goes fine when I use CS2, I have done a layout picture where all contact points can be seen and they works fine. No jamming etc.

I have quite many circuit-tracks and then of course own made contact tracks with outer rail isolated.
All kind of contacts are reliable when I use CS2 BUT........

When I try to use WinDigipet contact operate unreliably. I can see all contacts in my testing layout in WinDigipet but sometimes contacts don't work at all, sometimes the work fine for a while and the again something goes wrong they might remain occupied and when the train goes over the contact it might sometimes reset to unoccupied and so on ...
I have tried many timing alternatives but nothing helps.

It is really interesting to see on my PC-screen both programs in real time CS2 working reliable all the time, but WinDigipet don't work reliable at all.

Märklin PC-program is in the same computer where WinDigipet is installed. Computer is new and very powerful. Network is working fine between CS2 and PC.

Please have anybody any idea what can be done to make WinDigipet working better.

Happy Training anyways

Regards

Jukka

Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2016 18:51:52(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jukka,

Iam not familiar with Windigipet, but what version are you using?

Appears L88 only works with 2015 version and a L88 patch.

See below:

http://www.windigipet.de...x.php?topic=73762.0;wap2

Check also that you have configured it correctly. See below:

http://www.windigipet.de...x.php?topic=73117.0;wap2

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2016 21:56:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have Windigipet, but not the L88. (I use the HSI-88 - direct to my PC)

Have you installed 2015.1b?

This is the translated process for adding a L88:
Hello everybody,

to 60883 here use a small patch to the Marklin L88 (link s88) with WDP, 2015.
download the following file and copy it to the install directory of win-Digipet:
www.windigipet.de/files/...Maerklin_60883_Patch.exe

There, the Execute File (Win Digipet or Home Center can not be started), it should now be the name of the project are displayed as relevant to the patch digital systems. Now just press Apply. There should be a confirmation to appear.

Start Now win Digipet:
To use the L88 in WDP following settings must be made on the feedback modules tab:
-instead Master CS2 must select Slave CS2 and the device number (in CS2 read) the L88 app, for me it was 147
-The L88 on fixed contacts is achieved by specifying the module numbers (from / to) 1-2
-the at s88-contacts on the bus 1 is achieved by specifying the module numbers (from / to) 126-187
-the at s88-contacts on the bus 2 is achieved by specifying the module numbers (from / to) 251-312
-the at s88-contacts on the bus 3 is achieved by specifying the module numbers (from / to) 376-437

A meaningful entry in WDP would as (if you really all modules on L88 needs):
-Of module 1 to 2 Start module 1
-Of module 126-187 Start Module 3
-Of module 251-312 Start Module 65
-Of module 376-437 start module 127

When it comes to at initialization that the occupancy indication of the last contact is not displayed correctly on a bus, then configure please 1 module at the respective bus more in WDP.

greetings
Markus

Here is a link to the original German text:

http://www.windigipet.de/foren/index.php?topic=73097.msg176149

Here is a post from someone, who remove the L88 setting from the CS2 after the patch was installed and started again.. It worked the second time:

Hello Hermann.
The issue with the L88 I by grade. After you have installed the patch, (no update) has been running the L88 clean, but I had received no indication from the S88 modules (Bus 1, 5 hours). Although I had set everything as drinstand in the guidance of Markus. Now do not ask me how and why, but I have removed as a last resort the plug from the CS2 and deleted the L88 under Devices in the CS2. Then CS2 again restarted. (Without connector L88) Then Off. L88 again plugged into the booster input and CS2 started. The L88 automatically logs on the CS2 again. After that the modules entered hanging on bus 1 and Zack ........ Everything went under WDP.
Have fun with your MOBA
Greeting Jörg

Original German text:

Hallo Hermann.
Das Thema mit den L88 habe ich grade durch. Nachdem du den Patch installiert hast, ( kein Update) hat der L88 sauber gelaufen, nur ich hatte keine Anzeige von den S88 Modulen (Bus 1, 5 St.) bekommen. Obwohl ich alles so eingestellt hatte, wie in der Anleitung von Markus drinstand. Jetzt frag mich nicht wieso und warum, aber ich habe als letzte Möglichkeit den Stecker aus der CS2 entfernt und den L88 unter Geräte in der CS2 gelöscht. Dann CS2 wieder Neugestartet. ( Ohne Anschluss L88) Dann Ausgeschaltet. L88 wieder am Booster Anschluss eingesteckt und CS2 gestartet. Der L88 meldet sich automatisch an der CS2 wieder an. Danach noch die Module eingetragen die am Bus 1 hängen und Zack ........ Alles lief unter WDP.
Viel Spaß mit deiner MOBA
Gruß Jörg

This guy seems to have some of the plugs in the wrong direction..

Hello Jörg,
thanks for your information.
Also I have done everything as Markus Herzog wrote in his About the patch on 9.5.15.
But all attempts have not funtoniert until I again placed me under my system and the connection of the network cable have checked, and behold, Hermann has incorrectly connected.
If you get the hang of, everything is simple.
On the L 88 are each 1 right arrow and 1ner left. In the S88, the arrows are but all in one direction, and there was my fault.
BUT now I have more to already 5 S88 on bus 1 and until now 1 S88 on bus 2.
my ShBhf I leave on the S88 by Karlheinz Batterman on bus. 3

Now I'll test the first 4 modules (4x 2Meter).

Many thanks for your help.
Hermann

Hallo Jörg,
danke für deine Info.
Auch ich habe alles so gemacht wie Markus Herzog in seiner Info zum Patch am 9.5.15 geschrieben hat.
Aber alle Versuche haben nicht funtoniert, bis ich mich nochmal unter meine Anlage gelegt habe und die Verbindung der Netzwerk Kabel überprüft habe, und siehe da, Hermann hat falsch verbunden.
Wenn man den Dreh raus hat, ist alles einfach.
Auf dem L 88 sind je 1 Pfeil nach Rechts und 1ner nach links. Auf den S88 sind die Pfeile aber alle in einer Richtung, und da lag bei mir der Fehler.
ABER nun habe ich bereits 5 S88 auf Bus 1 und bis jetzt 1 S88 auf Bus2, weitere folgen.
meinen ShBhf lasse ich auf den S88 von Karlheinz Batterman auf Bus 3.

Jetzt werde ich die ersten 4 Module (4x 2Meter) testen.

Viele Dank für eure Hilfe.
Hermann

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline siroljuk  
#4 Posted : 02 May 2016 11:56:40(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Thank you Lasse and Adrian.

I use WDP 2015 with latest patch and yes I have that L88 patch also run as those advice tell to run.

I have checked all wiring, no mistakes and tested also voltages as someone told me to do in WDP-forum.

Still same problem: CS2 works fine with all contacts no jamming no misfiring etc.
WDP works other vice. Sometimes program even don't see the contact sometimes contact remains on and of course sometimes works like it should.
There are both types of contact, contact-track and permanent contact ( ie. piece of track with cut-off outer rail and of course insulation pieces )
I have tried all kind of timing, to which changing CS2 don't even react, works fine.
So I have wrote this problem also to WDP-forum and wait for some help from there.
I will inform you if ( when ) we find the solution from there.

Still I hope your ideas

Happy Training

Regards
Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline siroljuk  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2016 16:55:26(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello BigGrin

I have found the main reason for WDP and L88 odd behavior. Wireless Network was the main reason.

I cannot explain how L88 works and how much data it moves through Network to WDP-program but when I changed WiFi to ordinary CAT5 network switch there was no problem left.

I did test the whole layout and it's contacts with CS2 and all its possible S88 connections and I couldn't find any problem. Also L88 worked fine. ( with WiFi-network and CAT5 cable-network)

With WDP I tested S88 without L88 ( S88 BUS-cable connected into CS2 bottom contact) and all my contacts worked fine, no jamming, no missfires etc. Then I put S88 buss thru L88 BUS1 then all troubles begun. I tested L88's first 16 contacts and the didn't work either. This was when I used WiFi-network.

Change to CAT5-cable network, WDP worked in all situations and with all kind of S88-Buss connections fine, no problem at all.

I have seen in many forums that people don't think that switching-tracks are not reliable enough when we put contact points on our layouts.
After many kind of testing during last few days I can say that they are reliable enough, if you don't use any kind of lubrication for switching-tracks moving parts. I have tens of Märklin 24994, 24194 and 24294 tracks on my testing layout and all of them are working reliable all the time. Instead of lubricating them you should a bit ease rocking leveler by loosening two clamps under the track.( Just a bit if the leveler don't move to the central position ), then it will work easily.

If you will you can use dry Teflon spray, but then you have to break apart the whole mechanism and after spraying let it dry for a while prior to assembly.

Well I did learn again a lot by testing and struggling with contact, I hope that someone can get some help from this thread.

Happy Training everyone LOL LOL

Regards

Jukka
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 05 May 2016 22:51:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Hello BigGrin

I have found the main reason for WDP and L88 odd behavior. Wireless Network was the main reason.

Regards

Jukka

Where in the system did you use wireless (WiFi?)
From my reading of the S88 signaling, timing is critical, and I can imagine a wireless solution throwing off the timing just enough to cause problems if you don't take care to account for things in some way.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline siroljuk  
#7 Posted : 06 May 2016 07:17:48(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello,

WDP is installed into my main PC which was connected to my home network via WiFi. I have known that S88 signaling is critical, but my PC was working well all the time, also all programs were good even Märklin PC-sofwtware.

But I think that WDP uses Network different than Märklin-PC, or obviously WDP is much more complicated ( which it really is) than Märklin-PC.

Anyways, it was easy solution to connect my main PC to network with Cable and now I am satisfied, all works fine.

Thank you all for your intrest and

Happy Training BigGrin BigGrin

regards

Jukka
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 09 May 2016 22:50:48(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm still learning things, so I'll ask another followup.

So you have Märklin and WDP controll software running on your PC. Its connected to your home network via wifi.

How are the PC's connected to the train layout? And why does Wifi vs hard wire matter unless the wifi is the way you are connecting to the train layout itself?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline siroljuk  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2016 07:41:47(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Good morning.

I live in a new house in countryside middle of Finland. I have build that house my self.
In the house I have two kind of network; WiFi network for Laptops and mobile devices like Mobile phones.
Then I have CAT6 cable based network. Cable network was build for the cases that WiFi is not good enough in remote places in the house.
Cable is build in every room with two contact point per room. All cables from every room are connected to fast Switch which is connected to Router ( that router has two kind of connections; WiFi and Cable). And Router is connected to the Services Provider Mobile G4-Network
Both network are on all the time and can work at the same time.

Then my model train connection:
I have CS2 and all railwayl devices are connected to CS2 by means that Märklin has provided( mostly all devices are connected to Märklin CAN-bus)
CS2 is connected to CAT6 network with normal RJ45 cable. And now also PC with all Model Train software is connected to CAT6 network.

CS2 don't have WiFi-connection possibility, only one RJ45 connector to witch my cable network is connected.

As you see in the Layout there is only one device that is connected to Network and that is in my case CS2.

I am waiting for a new CS3+ and there is also WiFi connection, but what I have learned within last two weeks I think that I am not going to use Wifi with new device. Of course I try it and test its capabilities very careful.

Happy Training everyone

Regards

Jukka
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by siroljuk
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2016 09:04:38(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You might find that 802.11ac on 5Ghz might be good enough for WDP and the CS2.. But to get the maximum benefit the WAP (Wireless access point) needs to be near both devices. Personally, I prefer CAT6 you get a consistent throughput as long as you have a well configured and reliable managed switch..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 10 May 2016 19:05:33(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: siroljuk Go to Quoted Post
Good morning.

I live in a new house in countryside middle of Finland. I have build that house my self.
In the house I have two kind of network; WiFi network for Laptops and mobile devices like Mobile phones.
Then I have CAT6 cable based network. Cable network was build for the cases that WiFi is not good enough in remote places in the house.
Cable is build in every room with two contact point per room. All cables from every room are connected to fast Switch which is connected to Router ( that router has two kind of connections; WiFi and Cable). And Router is connected to the Services Provider Mobile G4-Network
Both network are on all the time and can work at the same time.

Then my model train connection:
I have CS2 and all railwayl devices are connected to CS2 by means that Märklin has provided( mostly all devices are connected to Märklin CAN-bus)
CS2 is connected to CAT6 network with normal RJ45 cable. And now also PC with all Model Train software is connected to CAT6 network.

CS2 don't have WiFi-connection possibility, only one RJ45 connector to witch my cable network is connected.

As you see in the Layout there is only one device that is connected to Network and that is in my case CS2.

I am waiting for a new CS3+ and there is also WiFi connection, but what I have learned within last two weeks I think that I am not going to use Wifi with new device. Of course I try it and test its capabilities very careful.

Happy Training everyone

Regards

Jukka

Thank you. That clarifies it nicely. So you have your Central Station 2 and your train computer connected to our house sub-network, an dthe train computer uses wifi to do so. OK, now I understand.

I assume this is because you use the train computer for other reasons and need internet access to the computer?

The reason I was so confused is I assumed, incorrectly, that you would just run cat5/5e/6 cable direct from your CS2 direct to the train computer's Ethernet port, and that this direct connection would be on its own special sub-network. (you would have the computer accessing the internet via its WiFi network connection, and to the CS2 via its Cat5/5e/6 cable connection).

I assume the CS2 needs internet access occasionally? Otherwise, having a direct 2-node network between the computer and CS2 would simplify things (takes the infrastructure of the switch and in-house broadcast traffic out of the way)
---
My YouTube Channel: