Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2015 01:23:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have been a user of TouchCab almost since the day it came out in the Apple Store on a Ipod Touch. When Apple stopped supporting the iPod touch, TouchCab could no longer be downloaded to the device. Then I used my old iphone 4 (replaced by a Nokia 930 running Windows 8.1) for a while until it too was unsupported by Apple just before the version 8 release of their OS. The final straw was TouchCab's announcement that the app was approaching end of support and would be pulled from the Apple stores..

Windipet also makes a mobile app that runs on phones for customers, who use the full WindigiPet software. While it is nice and it is still supported it was not as elegant as the TouchCab solution. Then there was the whole mindset of paying $1300 for an iPhone to run a train app, only to have a phone call cause an Adam's family style crash on the layout. This is why using an old iPod touch made so much sense. When ESU announced the production of the wireless Mobile Control II, I was very interested to see the solution and pricing.

At this point, it is worth mentioning one of my living-life philosophies, which says, "never buy the first of a new thing." It does not matter what it is - a car, software, washing machine, clothes, Trains - anything.. The first one has all the problems that can't be corrected by warranty and will be fixed with the next production run. Mad That I have purchased this thing on the first release is a measure of the level of desperation I have to solve the problem of running a train away from the computer or the ESU eCos.. (It is version 1.0.14 - so they have had 14 goes at getting it right so far - BigGrin ) Actually, they have a prior attempt at this solution, which I call the real "first of the new thing" namely, the The ECos Control Radio

Let's start with a picture:

UserPostedImage

The thing that separates it from mobile phone-based solutions is the big knob. It looks the same as the one on the eCos, but it is actually 8.5mm bigger at 58.5mm and there is a good reason for this size. If you use the knob the same way that you use the ones on the eCos, you will continually touch the stop button and halt the entire layout. (A good first version problem to solve!).. The correct way for a left-handed person to use the knob is shown below:

UserPostedImage
No, I am not left-handed - it is just easier to take the photo with the right hand! RollEyes

Just do the same thing with your other hand if you are right-handed.. Cool

This thing is basically an Andriod Wireless device - perhaps you could call it a small wireless tablet with a big knob. It runs Android version 4.1.1, which is a long way from the latest version 6. It comes with 504Mb of internal storage (384Mb free) and no obvious port to add additional storage.

Here is the Android screen/home page:

UserPostedImage

ESU sell two versions of this device:
50113 Mobile Control II Remote Control Set for ECoS, DE/EN. With lanyard, USB-cable, Mini-Accesspoint, power supply and LAN cable
50114 Mobile Control II Remote Control single Handset for ECoS, german / english. With lanyard and USB-cable

If you already have a good WiFi network, then you only need to buy the 50114 unit and then link to to your network via DHCP (the usual way that network devices get an IP address to talk on your network). If you don't already have WiFi, then you need the 50113 set and someone to help you set up Wifi properly in your home. It can be a huge security risk if you don't do it properly. When you connect it to your wifi, it looks for your ECOS (CS2 owners can stop reading) and you just need to touch the screen for them to start talking to each other. It looks like you can have multiple 50114 units connecting to your eCOS - I am sure that the manual will state the maximum number. Oh yes, another problem with buying the first of a new thing - the paper-based manual is only in German.. The proper one is on this page http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-systems/

When the connection is made the MCII downloads the locos (including any user made images) from your eCOS (not CS2)..

Here is the unit controlling my Max Bogl (missing the .. over the o) train:

UserPostedImage

You can use the knob or the slider under the image of the loco.

I have only just started using this new gadget (It arrived yesterday), so I will update this review after I have had some time to play with the unit. At this stage I am giving it:
ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp /5
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2015 01:46:07(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I've had mine on order since December 17. They are suppose to reach our shores in another week or two. I was sold on the idea of a wireless controller with a knob the moment I saw it. I never could get comfortable with the throttle on the Touchcab app.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2015 14:31:42(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I have finally figured out how to hook up both my iPhone and iPad to my CS2 with the help of Curtis Jeung, one of the Marklin digital reps here in the USA.

I'm happy with the results, and the Marklin APP was cheap. A friend gave me and old iPhone, and I'm due for a new one, so I'll keep my old and have two dedicated controllers.BigGrin

My layout is in two halves, so I put one half on the iPad to control all switches and signals for that half, and the other half is on the CS2. Marklin has a little work to do on this, but overall, I'm happy with the results.BigGrin

Obviously not having to do any wiring for control panels etc is a huge advantage.. And the "panel" is in front of the portion I wish to control, or can even be picked up!

I agree a knob is slightly more tactile, but they're not perfect either based on the Uhlenbrock style we use on the ETE layout.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2015 16:39:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

This thing is basically an Andriod Wireless device - perhaps you could call it a small wireless tablet with a big knob. It runs Android version 4.1.1, which is a long way from the latest version 6. It comes with 504Mb of internal storage (384Mb free) and no obvious port to add additional storage.

Why would you need to add more storage? Surely it only needs the one app on that - the one that controls the trains ... RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes

Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2015 10:24:31(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Most of us won't need extra storage, but there is potential to add other apps and music to the device. So while it is not running trains you could (say) play music on it through the headphone socket..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2015 14:01:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Adrian, I'm getting one next year as the old one, although it was ok had a few minor problems. a.) the batteries didn't last very long, and when they ran out of steam the locos kept running but you had no control over them unless you rush back to your ECoS., c.) the on-off button is not working properly , when I push it to the on side the mobile station doesn't start, I than push it back slightly so it is still in the on-position, the mobile unit data comes on and the batteries charging level is showing it has enough power., a bit odd but sending it back again costs too much on freight. I still have my mobile units from Märklin which I connect to a distributor board around the layout.
I have to read more about the remote control unit 2 what it can do., thanks for your review.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2016 00:33:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I thought that I would take the opportunity to post an update.

While I still like this device, there are some challenges.

1. Wifi. It is not a real problem for me, but it does seem to be a problem reported on the ESU forum. My train room is down stairs from my wireless access point. So it is about 10m away and through a wooden floor. It works okay for me, but then I have a Enterprise grade access point (looks like those ones in the ceiling in offices) connected to a commercial UTM device (long story). So my reception even across the road and around the corner to the bus stop is good.

The big problem is that ESU chose to use the 2.4Ghz band which only has 3 non-overlapping channels (there are a maximum of 14 channels - depending on your Country, but they overlap). Great if you live on your own in outback Queensland, but hopeless if you live in an apartment block full of Geeks or microwave cookers. The actual overlap can be less if some knuckle head decides to set a 40Mhz bandwidth instead of the normal 20. A strange choice of WiFi band from a country with a large urban population.

UserPostedImage

Access to the 5Ghz band would have been a smart option as there are 23 non-overlapping channels (once again depends on your Country).

The other problem, I suspect, is that the radio in these devices is not very strong and there is a lot of background chatter from the Android device itself to the Internet. (I am still logging this stuff and may talk about it in another post.) I recommend that you consider buying a Wifi repeater for your train room. (For an example see, http://www.netgear.com.a...-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx)

2. Android version 4.1.1. As I mentioned earlier, this is an old version of Android. So if you want to buy other useful stuff from the Google store, you often can't because version 4.1.1 is no longer supported by the app maker. AND you can't upgrade the operating system.

This is a problem I found with my old, but still working, iPhone 4. Because Apple won't upgrade the Operating System past a certain point, in my case it was iOS 7 you then can't download updated apps. Why does Apple do this? Cynical people will say that it is to force the market to buy a new phone every three years or so, but the reality is that the hardware in older phones will not allow to the phone to run efficiently. (i.e. it will run very slow!) So now days it can only be used for music - even that has limitations - so I had to buy a new phone.

So the suspicion here is that the hardware inside the MC2 is low performance, which might prove a challenge for ESU in the future.

3. Storage. My initial assessment of the storage capacity of this device was incorrect. There is two storage areas. The system area is only 500Mb, while there is a media are of 2Gb. My system storage was full yesterday (one of the prompts for this update) and I was alerted to this by an attempted update of Google Play by the device. To fix the problem, I had to go into the Google Play and delete all the updates. Unfortunately, ESU has locked the device so you can't (at least I have not worked out how to yet) delete the useless stuff like "Google Hangout" , "News & Weather", "TalkBack", "Google Text-to-Speech" to clear out more space.

4. Battery. Every time I go to use the device, the battery is flat. I don't use it every day and I know it has been at least a week since the trains were running, but I expect the battery to at least keep charge to a week while it is not used. I need to do some more testing on this issue.

5. Updates. I have already talked about the system updates. The update of the Mobile Control II app is just plain weird. Firstly, it is not done through Google Play like other Android apps, it uses a Windows application to update the device BUT, contrary to normal software update practice, you must be running the MCSII app on the device before you start the update. This also means that the eCOS has to be running. Crazy!

I suspect they don't want the app on the Google Play store to ensure that it only runs on their hardware - makes sense since there are not many mobile phones with a big knob located where you would stick your ear. Surely there is a less clumsy way to update these devices?

6. Screen Size. It is too small for my old worker's hands. Even the eCos comes with a pointer stick. The easy solution is to go to eBay and buy a Stylus Touch Screen Pen. They cost about $1.70 posted to you. Unfortunately, the MC2 has a different type of screen than the eCOS so the eCOS pointer will not work.

UserPostedImage

This is version 1 of a good product. So there is a good chance that ESU will fix some of these problems - their product support is good, if a little slow. However, I suspect some of the issues may not be addressed until MC3 is available. It also looks like it is one of those great engineering ideas that have been mangled by accountants and marketing people.

Should you buy one. Yes. It is a very useful device - even for those of us using computer control. Even if you are not nerdy, this forum is a great source of assistance as is the ESU forum should you have a technical problem.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2016 11:15:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Now this is interesting. Today I left the unit on with no manually started applications. I then captured the network log. Aside from some expected chatter with Google, there were these log entries.

Allowed 2016-01-16 15:59:24 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:16:31 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:31:33 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:48:40 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:03:41 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:20:49 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:35:50 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:52:57 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:07:59 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:25:06 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:40:08 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request

The www.china-ota.com address translates to an IP address of 120.25.163.236. The 42.121.236.55 address is also in China.

As you can see it wakes up every 15 minutes and has a chat with china. Each time it sent the equivalent of A4 pages of text to the www.china-ota.com site and about 1/2 an A4 page to the other IP address. When I get a chance I will see if I can get a dump of the conversation, using Wireshark, to see what is being sent to these IP addresses. As of tomorrow morning I will isolate this device and the eCOS on another part of my network to ensure that the rest of our devices are protected from this thing.

Some information about the 42.121.236.55 -> http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/42.121.236.55
Some information about the other site -> http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/120.25.163.236

An OTA service request, as I understand it, enables a Network Operator to introduce new SIM services or to modify the contents of SIM cards without needing direct access to the SIM card. I suspect that this is a close tie with whomever actually manufactured the devices. There is no SIM card on these devices (I think), so in theory they should not be able to do anything to the device. BUT at the very least this is a service-like process running on a device that is not a great performer anyway.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline biedmatt  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2016 13:53:54(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
To bad, so close.

They are having some sort of problem with the North American (120V) power supply for the Mini-Accesspoint, so I am still waiting. Perhaps I should cancel this order and wait another year or two.

Sounds like a great idea poorly executed. Perhaps their extended lead time is the problem. By the time ESU brought this product to fruition, the technology had moved on. We waited years for a permanent magnet for the super large flat com motors. Not much simpler than a magnet.

M has apparently decided to get serious about digital control. New signals a year ago and now new mobile decoders with (limited) programmer support, plus new controllers. At the moment ESU still holds an advantage even with M's latest offerings, but ESU now has a competitor in the rearview mirror, something they really have not had. Perhaps they need to ratchet up their game. This product is like nothing offered by anyone else, a great way to set themselves apart. To bad they cocked it up.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2016 07:39:46(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Just FYI, here is a look inside one of these things, done by English MRR Youtuber Hovermotion

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 24 January 2016 09:01:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Update on the battery.

I have not used the MCII since I finished the network logging on the 16th January. So 1 week and 1 day later, I am pleased to report that the MCII was on 100% when I switched it on this morning. So I am starting to think that I might not have shut it down properly the last time it was used by me.

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Normmeister  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2016 18:53:35(UTC)
Normmeister

Now this is interesting. Today I left the unit on with no manually started applications. I then captured the network log. Aside from some expected chatter with Google, there were these log entries.

Allowed 2016-01-16 15:59:24 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:16:31 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:31:33 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 16:48:40 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:03:41 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:20:49 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:35:50 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 17:52:57 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:07:59 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:25:06 42.121.236.55 /ota/service/request
Allowed 2016-01-16 18:40:08 www.china-ota.com /ota/service/request

The www.china-ota.com address translates to an IP address of 120.25.163.236. The 42.121.236.55 address is also in China.

As you can see it wakes up every 15 minutes and has a chat with china. Each time it sent the equivalent of A4 pages of text to the www.china-ota.com site and about 1/2 an A4 page to the other IP address. When I get a chance I will see if I can get a dump of the conversation, using Wireshark, to see what is being sent to these IP addresses. As of tomorrow morning I will isolate this device and the eCOS on another part of my network to ensure that the rest of our devices are protected from this thing.

Some information about the 42.121.236.55 -> http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/42.121.236.55
Some information about the other site -> http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/120.25.163.236

An OTA service request, as I understand it, enables a Network Operator to introduce new SIM services or to modify the contents of SIM cards without needing direct access to the SIM card. I suspect that this is a close tie with whomever actually manufactured the devices. There is no SIM card on these devices (I think), so in theory they should not be able to do anything to the device. BUT at the very least this is a service-like process running on a device that is not a great performer anyway.

What is the outcome of this strange story ?Confused
Offline xxup  
#13 Posted : 01 May 2016 21:35:02(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I blocked the IP address at my firewall and it no longer talks to China..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Normmeister  
#14 Posted : 02 May 2016 01:15:50(UTC)
Normmeister

I blocked the IP address at my firewall and it no longer talks to China..

ok thanks for that idea.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to do that ......... Crying

regards
Norm.
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 27 October 2016 14:19:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Unfortunately, it is unlikely that a normal home router has the ability to block outgoing traffic. Things like the MCII are also known as IOT or Internet of Things. Other things in this category are your DVR Digtial Video Recorder, your smart TV, home security cameras, drones, smart fridges and now cars!

Recently there was a massive Internet outage caused by hackers accessing these insecure IoT devices and turning them into attack devices.. You can hear about the story in this video.. It's not too technical.

The same method, I believe, was also used by the attackers who took out the key DNS servers in the USA last week.

The only way currently to protect your home is to install a UTM device and get a professional to configure the thing for you.. That's until the industry gets their act together and builds proper security into these devices and removes the unnecessary chatter to China before selling them to consumers.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 03 November 2016 10:37:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I enjoy this topic, I don't understand a thing with all the technical jargon but it makes me feel important and clever for 2 minutes and when I get off this topic I'll get back to normal: analog and simple

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109