Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2016 01:37:21(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Hello all,
I am requesting the members to refer to any thread on this forum when Rerailers were discussed.

I am considering to try a Marklin rerailer, I understand for the passenger cars having free wheels the ramp serves well. How ever for locos which have gear driven wheels, is it a good practice to force the locos on the rerailing ramp when the wheels are not rotating? I wouldnt be offended at all, if I am told "Come on dont be so silly, you are worrying too much".

Can you share your thoughts and experiences?

BTW, can I use any brand HO rerailer ramp? Or is it suggested to use Marklin ramp for Marklin locos?

Have a great weekend
Vijay
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2016 02:02:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,
How ever for locos which have gear driven wheels, is it a good practice to force the locos on the rerailing ramp when the wheels are not rotating?
Vijay

That can damage the traction tires or push them off of the wheels. I usually just pick up most of the weight of the lok and slide it gently when I need to, although I try to do that as little as possible. I don't have a rerailer, so I can't comment on that part.

I have a ramp for my very small Z gauge set and I had one for my American Flyers - but that was a really long time ago. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 30 April 2016 06:24:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Vijay,

the older rerailer was problematic because it was made of metal and shorted out when it touched the middle rail. The newer ones since the mid to late 1970s were made of plastic which eliminated this problem. As the rolling stock slides along the rerailer, it is the the edge of the wheel and not the flat surface that comes into contact with the rerailer. The flat surface of the wheels only comes into contact once the wheels contact the actual rails themselves. With most, locomotives, with the slider in the front, this allows for contact before the powered axles contact the rails. As soon as you apply power, the locomotive will roll forward and set itself on the track without any damage to traction tires.

As far as using other brands, they may not have the design that permits the use on Maerklin tracks due to the presence of the third rail studs.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Legless  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2016 06:48:18(UTC)
Legless

Australia   
It works for me both loco's and wagons, no trouble 👍
Legless
Era's 1 to 111,C track,k track
Offline witzlerh  
#5 Posted : 30 April 2016 07:50:33(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
A re-railer is a must with the Torpedofanen wagen and the schnabel. As for loks like the Big Boy, once the traction tires are on the rail, I slide the rerailer out from underneath the lok.

It is real handy at train shows or when placing a bunch of rolling stock on the rails.

However for the odd car or derailment, I just place the car on the track....not worth the time to walk to find and get it.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 02 May 2016 00:42:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
the plastic railers work very well for both locos and other rolling stock.
locos with mechanism that do not freewheel can easily be dragged the short distance once the wheel get to the actual rail.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline nitramretep  
#7 Posted : 02 May 2016 01:12:47(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Never had a problem with my Marklin re-railer, no wheel damage, no rubber traction wheel issues and plenty of relief from fiddling with multi-wheel locos!