Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2016 19:56:13(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
now that I have enabled three of my locos(crazys if you r spanish, haha:) ) on my new digital oval, after I receive my c to m track adapter, can I use my 5202 turnouts independent of the digital controller? By that I mean, can I switch them using the Marklin 6646 transformer through the push button box? while running my trains digitally with the 60653 unit?
At this juncture, I will not be digitally controlling my turnouts till later when my understanding and finances allow for that function.
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2016 21:41:42(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
The answer is yes. My layout is built that way...I mean, digital loco control and analogic turnout control

Best regards
Carlos

UserPostedImage
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline petestra  
#3 Posted : 22 March 2016 23:52:18(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi. Yes I do the same as Carlos. Digital trains and analog switches/signals/uncouplers. It's much easier this way than scrolling thru

67 accessories on computer control. Peter.Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 23 March 2016 21:20:07(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Thomas,

You can use a common ground for the digital an analog/accessory equipment, but the power must be separate. Just like Carlos and Peter I do the same thing. The yellow wire (power) for the turnout motors comes from a 6646 transformer and is completely isolated from any digital power. The ground wire is common to the 6646 and MS2/CS2 setup, as are the control boxes. In addition to ease of control, you do not have to purchase decoders for the turnouts. Unless you plan on some level of digital automation you should be just fine this way.

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2016 23:56:11(UTC)
Minok

United States   
That sounds perfectly doable.

What you have is different ways of activating the switch motor/relays that cause the switch to change position.
In both analog and digital cases, the relays that move the position are driven by 'something' - its the something that you are deciding about.

In an all digital system, that 'something' is a digital decoder that gets its encoded data modulated on the power, the decoder knows when its been asked to change states, and it then has output signals from the decoder that directly drive the relays on the switch.

In the analog system, that 'something' is the signal wires that come from your control/button boxes that deliver power to the relays.
But, as the digital data modulated on the power track-box system requires it be the only one that provides power, you need to make sure the power from those buttons goes to the relays only, not to the track power, as others have said. Then the track power has the modulated digital signals on it that are used by locomotives, and the switches are operated and powered by the separate supply system that is analog.

At least thats how I understand it would work.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline GvanWyk  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2016 10:20:28(UTC)
GvanWyk

South Africa   
Wow,
this sounds great!!!
If I provide a basic diagramme would someone be able to assist me with the connecting of the wires?

Regards
Gerhard
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2016 11:00:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GvanWyk Go to Quoted Post
...would someone be able to assist me with the connecting of the wires?

The wiring is no different to that used when your layout is all analog.

The only thing to remember is that when you are running with a common earth, you should connect the brown of the transformers powering your points to the brown of the track output of your MS2 (NOT the brown of the transformer / power supply powering your MS2).
Offline GvanWyk  
#8 Posted : 01 May 2016 12:03:07(UTC)
GvanWyk

South Africa   
Tkx Bigdaddy.

So if we take my crude drawing of a simple layout:
MTrack Turnouts Digital2.jpg

If I understand you correctly, I need to add the brown wire from my analogue power supply (not connected on the picture) and connect it to the normal outer rails feeder wire of the M-track? That means my MS2 brown wire and the analogue PSU brown wire share the same "bus" and are effectively connected? The analogue PSU's have 2x brown wire connectors, one for track and one for accessories. So which one do I use or does it make no difference?

What do I do with the red wire from the analogue PSU ? Just not connect it anywhere as that would normally be the centre rail?

I take it that Yellow goes to Yellow, but where do I connect the blue wires?

The M-Track section is NOT isolated or a separate section, I want to run all as one unit

Apologies if these questions are silly, but thus far we ran a carpet layout on C-track for the kids. But I have 100's of M-Track from when I was a kid, but we have never used the solenoid or electrical impulses for the turnouts or the uncoupler tracks.

Do I require different push button boxes for the uncouplers and the turnouts?

Offline Renato  
#9 Posted : 01 May 2016 12:30:00(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Gerhard,

Please find the answer to your questions, and do not worry: more or less all of us in the past had the same questions:

<If I understand you correctly, I need to add the brown wire from my analogue power supply (not connected on the picture) and connect it to the normal outer rails feeder wire of the M-track? That means my MS2 brown wire and the analogue PSU brown wire share the same "bus" and are effectively connected?>

Yes.

<The analogue PSU's have 2x brown wire connectors, one for track and one for accessories. So which one do I use or does it make no difference?>

It makes no difference: they are electrically connected inside the transformer (PSU).

<What do I do with the red wire from the analogue PSU ? Just not connect it anywhere as that would normally be the centre rail?>

Do not connect the red wire from the analogue PSU.

<I take it that Yellow goes to Yellow, but where do I connect the blue wires?>

Blue wire with green plug to the green socket on the button box, blue wire with red plug to the red socket on the button box; do not forget to connect the side plug/socket on the button box to the brown socket on the analogue PSU (use the other socket not connected).

<Do I require different push button boxes for the uncouplers and the turnouts?>

No, you can use the same push button box: you connect the blue wire to either the green or red socket.

Have fun!

Cheers

Renato
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 01 May 2016 13:11:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Renato gives some good and correct answers to your questions.

I have posted this booklet in the forum before, but this is a booklet written on wiring up analog layouts. See page 7 for a visual diagram on how a 7039 signal should be wired, this is the same for 5202 / 5117 / 5207 / 5127 turnouts and double slip switches.

You can also use the wiring diagram on page 4 to wire up multiple feeder tracks on your layout, substituting the 60113 track output box for the analog transformer shown in the diagram.

Eckert Marklin wiringbooklet.pdf (170kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
Offline GvanWyk  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2016 14:20:30(UTC)
GvanWyk

South Africa   
Guys, you are absolutely awesome!!! Thank you.

After 40+ years in storage, I discovered my Marklin analogue set in 2011. I never even imagined digital but starting to catch up now. Finally I have a wooden Wendy outhouse in the process of being insulated for a proper layout. Two rooms full of boxes with train stuff will soon have to be sorted and only some can be used as there will simply no space for all I have collected in the past 5 years. (some 300+ locos with about 60% of them Marklin and the rest in process of being converted to 3 rail and digital). Hahahaha, being 56 years old and now learning about digital and LED's and diodes etc....

This was the final step to ensure that I can indeed use my many M-Track items and now to start planning a layout.

Bigdaddy, I will have to paint one of my old 3003 models in Sharks colours to give your NZ rugby teams something to look at!

Thank you again, Renato and Bigdaddy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GvanWyk
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2016 14:27:30(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Of course we expect to see lots of pictures in the forum when you have something up and running.

.....being 56 years old and now learning about digital and LED's and diodes etc....

You're the same age as me, although I don't think I have 300 locos, more like 120 or so!

Bigdaddy, I will have to paint one of my old 3003 models in Sharks colours to give your NZ rugby teams something to look at!

My team, the Hurricanes, are currently in the Republic having played the Lions this morning. I think the Sharks are up next week!