Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2016 08:59:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I was lucky to score one of these wagons to go with the 43867 set I purchased late last year.

There is a note in both sets that states only one car with a slider can be in the trainset. The problem is that the Entertainment car has its own slider and the last car of the 43867 set also has a slider. To test the Entertainment car I have removed the last car and attached it to the trainset in its place. The Entertainment car provides some really nice functions, but the best part is that I get digital control over lighting in all of the 43867 cars - nice bonus.

Anyway, I would really like to add the last car to the trainset.

Can someone, who already has the 43868 please tell me how to remove the slider from either car so that it can be returned at a later date? I can't seem to see any information in the supplied instructions.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2016 09:27:09(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Can someone, who already has the 43868 please tell me how to remove the slider from either car so that it can be returned at a later date? I can't seem to see any information in the supplied instructions.
The slider is just plugged in. AFAIK you just have to de-solder the slider cable and take the slider off.
When needed, you can plug the slider in again and re-solder the cable.

Give the 43868 a long, extensive test before removing the slider from the 43867 coach. Some 43868 show problems after short usage (sound fails and/or decoder hangs).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2016 09:31:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks for that information Tom.. Smile

I will also take your advice about the long test, but I really hope that there is no problem as it is an awesome wagon. I have only played with it for about 1/2 hour - I will give it a good run tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline plutoodie  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2016 14:39:03(UTC)
plutoodie

I had mine on the track for less than 1 min, then took it off and placed it on the track again - now it cannot play music. I can still turn the lights on/off, so I am sure that it has a connection. Anybody else that has this issue?
HHJJ
Bo Jensen
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2016 16:30:22(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: plutoodie Go to Quoted Post
Anybody else that has this issue?
Quite a few people reported such failures after varying times on Stummi's Forum.

There are statements about cold soldering spots on the board. If you don't want to take a risk, consider sending it to Märklin or back to the dealer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2016 23:00:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It had another big run around the layout today and all is okay - knock on wood.. I am not surprised about the soldering comment,, Having already experienced that on a loco that would not run when it got here..Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2016 06:12:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is very important not to run the 43868 with the coach from the 43867 set with the slider if both coaches are equipped with current conducting couplers. The wiring passes the voltage from the decoder to the lighting of the attached coaches and using the coach with slider would result in track voltage being sent into the output of the decoder.

If the design is that same as with the TEE "Helvetia" 43866 and 43853/54 Sets, the slider cannot simply be removed. It must be desoldered or the wire must be clipped in order to remove the slider, and it can therefore not easily be reattached without having to reconnect it to the lighting circuit board. If you cut the wire and mount a miniature plug and socket on the wire ends, you could feasibly stick the remaining wire and plug or socket behind one of the WC compartments of the coach, which would keep it hidden.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2016 06:29:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
That's a good idea Mike.. The last coach is in a siding at the moment as I was trying to work out how to eliminate the wire and still make it possible to reconnect later. You have given me a good idea.. I will see if any of my molex plugs can do the job..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2016 14:12:58(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
There are statements about cold soldering spots on the board. If you don't want to take a risk, consider sending it to Märklin or back to the dealer.

I have the coach too, and have not experienced any problems. Should it happen, do you know if the problems goes away after the round trip to Märklin? I mean, if they just replace the components with similar bad components the problem should re-occur.

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2016 20:32:31(UTC)
H0

Here's the thread on Stummi's Forum (German):
http://stummiforum.de/vi...c.php?p=1527628#p1527628

Link to a Google translation:
https://translate.google...3p1527628&edit-text=

User "two_tommy! writes he got the coach for the third time now - and it failed again.
So one round trip to Märklin does not always solve the problem.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2016 22:46:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Here's the thread on Stummi's Forum (German):
http://stummiforum.de/vi...c.php?p=1527628#p1527628

Link to a Google translation:
https://translate.google...3p1527628&edit-text=

User "two_tommy! writes he got the coach for the third time now - and it failed again.
So one round trip to Märklin does not always solve the problem.

I can't help but believe there is something about his layout that is upsetting the integrity of the signal on the track which is upsetting how his coach is responding.

Maybe it is an early version of the msd3 in this coach ... (ducks for cover) ... Huh Huh Huh

Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2016 23:46:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I can't help but believe there is something about his layout that is upsetting the integrity of the signal on the track which is upsetting how his coach is responding.
He's not the only person reporting failures.

Some coaches fail after users uploaded own music. So that's another aspect worth testing.

We had a 43868 at a club meeting. Sound didn't fail, but decoder always hung after a minute or two, ignoring all function keys.
After setting the CS2 to stop for 30+ seconds it would respond again - to hang again after a minute or two.

Just an oval with a CS2 - and still there was a problem.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Shamu  
#13 Posted : 30 March 2016 00:54:06(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
That's a good idea Mike.. The last coach is in a siding at the moment as I was trying to work out how to eliminate the wire and still make it possible to reconnect later. You have given me a good idea.. I will see if any of my molex plugs can do the job..

One of those little mini plug and socket sets I sent you with the VT may do the job Unsure
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2016 14:53:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
He's not the only person reporting failures.

Some coaches fail after users uploaded own music. So that's another aspect worth testing.

We had a 43868 at a club meeting. Sound didn't fail, but decoder always hung after a minute or two, ignoring all function keys.
After setting the CS2 to stop for 30+ seconds it would respond again - to hang again after a minute or two.

Just an oval with a CS2 - and still there was a problem.

OK. I must admit I have never had mine running in a train, it has only been operated stationary. Mike (hennabm) had it playing and strobing lights for most of the day when he was at our local exhibition, but it was stationary in a siding, and playing the stock 'German Techno-Funk' (is that what you would call it?) music supplied.

Maybe I'm just a lucky one ... Blushing

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline MaerklinLife  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2016 19:06:45(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Mine have also been playing on a side track for a long time without problems. The coming weekend it is supposed to participate in an operating session at our club. It will run the whole weekend. So I guess we will know much more on Sunday.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2016 10:56:28(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It's now the first of May and the Disco Wagon continues to perform well.

So I decided to modify the end wagon of the 43867 set. I am not keen to cut/desolder the wire to the slider every time I want to add the disco car to the set. In the long term, I could see the wire getting shorter and shorter. So I decided instead to install a switch between the slider and the lighting circuit in the wagon.

This is the wire you need to cut.. Like a well made bomb, this wagon has two red wires. You cut the one at the slider end..

UserPostedImage

I then soldered in an Altronics s2075 MINI DPDT switch between the two cut wires. After the switch was installed I tested the circuit with a multi-meter. After the successful test, I left the switch in the off position and reassembled the wagon.

UserPostedImage

The only problem is that the switch is visible through the window. This is good and bad. It is good in that you can see that there is a switch fitted to the wagon and bad because you can see the switch.. RollEyes

I hope that someone else finds this information useful.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline MalinAC  
#17 Posted : 01 May 2016 11:43:17(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Why not paint the window
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline xxup  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2016 12:27:46(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Not a bad idea.. Another one is to find some white coloured plastic so that it looks like a blind that has been pulled down..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 01 May 2016 13:13:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Not a bad idea.. Another one is to find some white coloured plastic so that it looks like a blind that has been pulled down..

Just use a white correction paper mate paint the inside of the window and its a toilet apartment.

or you paint the switch with an invisible paint colour LOL

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#20 Posted : 01 May 2016 13:38:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Give the 43868 a long, extensive test before removing the slider from the 43867 coach. Some 43868 show problems after short usage (sound fails and/or decoder hangs).

Hi Tom, does this just apply to the 43868 car? I have the 43866 TEE car with decoder, but I haven't run a long test with it. I've just ordered the matching 43854 coach set, it should be here in a couple of weeks. I believe the slider needs to be removed from 43868 if I run it with either the 43854 or 43853 coach sets (or indeed both of them).
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 01 May 2016 14:17:54(UTC)
H0

AFAIK only the 43868 has a built-in MP3 player and it seems that many problems are related to this MP3 player (failing sounds and such). Therefore I think an extended test run is a good idea.

The problem with two sliders in the train is "by design" and with all trains there should be only one slider in the train - the slider under the restaurant coach or the "snoring" sleeping coach respectively.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline GvanWyk  
#22 Posted : 02 August 2016 13:12:45(UTC)
GvanWyk

South Africa   
Hi Guys,
I managed to get two of the 43868 coaches second hand... but it seems that I was the first person to open the boxes, so like new.
With great anticipation I had them on the roller test stand last night (so only the coach, nothing else) and my MS2 immediately picked up the MFX.
Main lights (f0) switched on / off, and the bar light (f8)... and that is it.
Now staying with the lights, the manual says "lighting console" = (f1+)f7 What does this mean? I see no difference? f0 switch the interior lights on and off
Stroboscope (f1+)f10 ... how does this work? I have f1 switched on, then use the function button to get to my other function keys sitting behind f0 to f7 and while pressing that, also press f10
f10 is displayed as a little speaker icon... strange... but I do not get the strobe to work.

Now the sounds
I switched SD cards between the two cars, same result, NOTHING!!!
I then took both SD cards to my computer and all the files are there as it should be, no extra files

Based on the conversations above, it can only be the decoder but it is a real bummer to have both cars do the same.
It is not an option to send them to Germany for repairs, so besides a box of matches and a burnt coach for inspector preiser to investigate arson, are there any other suggestions?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 02 August 2016 14:47:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GvanWyk Go to Quoted Post
Hi Guys,
I managed to get two of the 43868 coaches second hand... but it seems that I was the first person to open the boxes, so like new.
With great anticipation I had them on the roller test stand last night (so only the coach, nothing else) and my MS2 immediately picked up the MFX.
Main lights (f0) switched on / off, and the bar light (f8)... and that is it.
Now staying with the lights, the manual says "lighting console" = (f1+)f7 What does this mean? I see no difference? f0 switch the interior lights on and off
Stroboscope (f1+)f10 ... how does this work? I have f1 switched on, then use the function button to get to my other function keys sitting behind f0 to f7 and while pressing that, also press f10
f10 is displayed as a little speaker icon... strange... but I do not get the strobe to work.

Now the sounds
I switched SD cards between the two cars, same result, NOTHING!!!
I then took both SD cards to my computer and all the files are there as it should be, no extra files

Based on the conversations above, it can only be the decoder but it is a real bummer to have both cars do the same.
It is not an option to send them to Germany for repairs, so besides a box of matches and a burnt coach for inspector preiser to investigate arson, are there any other suggestions?

Some operations require two functions to be turned on for them to operate. So try turning on F1 and F7.

For the sounds, from memory one function enables the sound, then another function decides how it plays (single track repeat, round robin through tracks, select track, etc) IIRC.

Offline baggio  
#24 Posted : 26 December 2016 10:21:11(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Some 43868 show problems after short usage (sound fails and/or decoder hangs).

How true! Sad

Mine died within minutes of adding some songs to it.

It played the new songs but then refused to work. ThumbDown

Problem is you MUST add songs because otherwise, after a few minutes of listening to the same two tunes, you are ready to scream "NO MORE, PLEASE" Scared

The laptop tells me that the sd card works fine.

I will go by Mike's on Tuesday.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 26 December 2016 13:24:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Problem is you MUST add songs because otherwise, after a few minutes of listening to the same two tunes, you are ready to scream "NO MORE, PLEASE" Scared

The laptop tells me that the sd card works fine.

I will go by Mike's on Tuesday.

It comes with 5 tunes on the card. Problem is they are all what I call German Techno Funk musicBored Bored Bored Bored
Offline baggio  
#26 Posted : 26 December 2016 15:44:17(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Alan:

Actually the tunes are two, but there are five sounds effects.

Probably the applause and the cheer are two of these sounds.

There are also three "scratching" sounds and I have no idea what that means.

You are not allowed more than the five sounds - but you can swap them if you like. That may be good for station announcements.

You can add as many songs as you like since it's huge SD card (8 gigs, I believe). The quality of the vocals is not so good while the music's is not bad.

The "light console" is actually a "game of lights" - meaning it gives you a bit of a show of lights.

Once the music dies, there does not seem to be any more light games.

Anyway, Mike will see me tomorrow at the shop.... Sad
Offline baggio  
#27 Posted : 14 January 2017 08:10:55(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Well, here is a very amateurial video of the entertainment car (great when it works - and most of the time it does - but not all the time) playing A Whiter Shade of Pale in Italian (I added this and many other songs) and of the train platform Mike put together for me ThumpUp and two of the Regio wagons I got for Christmas 2015.

Marklin Entertainment Car

Offline mike c  
#28 Posted : 08 January 2019 03:42:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have two 43866s running in tandem, they have to be separately powered. Connecting them in series can result in voltage passing into the output terminals of the other decoder.

Regards

Mike C