Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline shannon  
#1 Posted : 30 April 2016 12:30:25(UTC)
shannon

Clear description and comparison between CS3 and CS3 plus

http://railway.zone/post...d-central-station-3-plus

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by shannon
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 30 April 2016 13:07:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: shannon Go to Quoted Post
Clear description and comparison between CS3 and CS3 plus
Written bei Forum member Søren, but probably based on the information that was available in January.

More information should be available when the CS3 is actually shipping.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline nitramretep  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2016 03:18:28(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Shannon great information! I own a CS2 and was wondering about upgrading. I was surprised at the issue of the 5 amp output being capable of cooking a loco! That was rather unpleasant to consider, makes me wonder as to the purpose of affording such capacity, perhaps it is for the Marklin 1 locos?
Offline shannon  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2016 04:53:44(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
Shannon great information! I own a CS2 and was wondering about upgrading. I was surprised at the issue of the 5 amp output being capable of cooking a loco! That was rather unpleasant to consider, makes me wonder as to the purpose of affording such capacity, perhaps it is for the Marklin 1 locos?

Yes, the article has explained the different purposes of 3A / 5A power supply

Power Supply, 5A 60101 For gauges 1, G and 0
Power Supply, 3A 60061 For gauges OO, H0, TT and N
Offline sjlauritsen  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2016 06:32:37(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Yup, the article is a summary of the information I could gather from different catalogue resources, and from what I know about the existing system. I felt there was a need for a down-to-earth summary, since the information was scattered in many places. Additionally, since the CS3 n' P is not a completely new system, but more of an evolvement of the existing one, many of the features that is true for the CS2, will also be true for the CS3 n' P. This is also why I allow myself to be very fond of the system, even though it has not yet seen the light of day. Smile

@Peter The 5A itself will not fry your loco, but bad wiring and - as a cause of this - an undetected overload will. This is much less of a problem with the 3A. A good wired layout, will also be able to handle H0 with 5A. It all comes down to the thickness of the feeder wires. My reason for not recommending 5A is that it takes special care to wire the layout correctly. Also, model railroaders making the transition into digital, usually have their layouts wired with thin standard wire, going 5A would mean that they would have to rewire their entire layout. 3A is usually the better choice because it will cause the majority of model railroaders much lesser problems. I assume this is Märklins reason as well - or at least part of it.

My article about boosters explains how power sources should be understood. Need for a booster has nothing to do with the size of the layout, it all comes down to how much power the layout consumes. Using 5A over 3A does not make a layout better, it just allows for more power to be consumed. If the layout does not consume that much power in the first place, a 5A is not worth your pennies. http://railway.zone/post...ration-what-is-a-booster
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen