Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2016 16:28:55(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Hello

This 5112 item came to me in good condition but it´s not working. Any ideas on correct connection of the cables and repairing it would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
regards
Carlos

UserPostedImage
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2016 21:33:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The two little sockets are to be connected to the mast with the light that activates when the uncoupler is in use.
There should be a yellow cable connected to the mechanism and to the terminal with the sockets. From there, there should be a long yellow cable which you then attach to the yellow plug of a transformer (for power). There should be a blue cable going from the other contact at the terminal with sockets to the switch box, which is used to remotely activate or deactivate the signal. There should be a lead from the switch box to one of the brown outputs on the transformer.
I have never opened any of my track sections, so I do not know exactly where the wires are connected to. It seems strange to me that any wire would be soldered to the centre rail as the uncoupler and the light should be powered from the accessories output.

As this part is available on ebay for as low as 3.50 EUR, it is cheaper to replace it than to repair it. You can always keep this one as a manually operated uncoupler if you remove the wires.
The other possibility is after you buy a new one, you can carefully open that one and then match the wiring connections to repair your original unit.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
#3 Posted : 28 April 2016 21:51:07(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Thanks a lot for a perfect explanation, Mike.
I already know how this item works because I have got five of them in my layout but no way I can copy the connections as I have no intention of destroying my layout just to take a look
Lol!

My doubt is about the inner connections of the uncoupler itself.

There's no yellow cable connected to the center socket...it's just the photo shot angle
UserPostedImage

Regards
Carlos
Offline 3rail4life  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2016 22:55:36(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   

Hi Carlos,

Looks like someone has made a mess of that one, the two wires from the coil connect directly to the two main solder joints as can be seen in my photo. Yours appears to have had both wires broken and a messy repair attempted, no surprise that it is not working.

You could unwind some of the coil to restore the lengths (may not be possible with the missing wire) or carefully solder in repair sections provided you can find the other end of the missing connection and the solder joints can be isolated from the surrounding metal parts.

It is good challenge if you enjoy such work, good luck with the repairs.

Cheers,
Gordon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 3rail4life
#5 Posted : 29 April 2016 08:46:02(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Thank you very much gordon. You pic is explanatory itself; I´ll try to repair it.

Thanks again

Best regards
Carlos
Offline Tresor  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2019 22:37:16(UTC)
Tresor

Sweden   
Hi!

I have one Märklin 5112 - M Uncoupling Track Section and it is not working.

What tools do I have to use to open it and how can I open the 5112? (As in post #1)