Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline efel  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2009 12:10:04(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

As I recently got a problem with a 74490 C turn out motor (not working in 1 direction), followed by the same problem on another 74490, I decided to investigate more in depth.
The problem was already described on this forum, and in some other national forums.
The cutoff micro switches seemed to be responsible for that, as they have to switch up to 1A rms from an inductive load (if the motor is fed with 16V AC), which is beyond their specifications.
In order to validate that hypothesis, I opened a microswitch (cutting the top with a cutter) and energized the motor.
The pic below shows a spark between the 2 contacts of the switch. Sooner or later, that sparks will lead to a failure. (Note: As the switch time can be as low as 10ms, reducing the feeding pulse duration to 100ms or so is useless in this case)

UserPostedImage

The question is: why some users have no problems, even after many years?
I read somewhere that the problem occurs only with old Marklin motors. Mine were built in 1999 and 2006, then not that old. May be the quality of the Cherry microswitches ?

Anyway, if we don't want to take the risk to get a failure on a permanent layout, I see 4 solutions

- use other motors than 74490
- connect a capacitor in parallel with each switch (but there is still a small spark, even with 500nF)
- connect a back-emf diode (or 2 x 30V zeners in series if the motor is used in AC, or a 30V transil,) in parallel with each switch.
- short the switches and use only current pulse for driving the motor.

In the last 3 cases, it's necessary to open the motor.

Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
Offline Hajime  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2009 15:25:55(UTC)
Hajime

Japan   
Hi, Fred-san,

In Japan, the problems occur these 2 years or so. Old motors are no problem, but newer motors failed very often. I guess they are due to the qualty problem of micro swithes.

First, I thought that failed motor should be thrown away.

http://nagoya-maerklin.f...p/railmaintenance_06.htm

But now I think failed motor should be remained and its terminals should be bypassed, because the micro switches stabilize the rebound of motor shaft.

Anyway the duration time of Solenoid Accessories in CS should be set carefully.
Offline Lollo  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2011 06:40:30(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Re:74490 turnout solenoid problems.
The tiny micro switches are made by cherry corp (subminiature DH Series) http://www.cherrycorp.co.../switches/submini/dh.htm
These are a standard item in there catolouge, so can be replaced new. Most people seem to bridge them out, thats fine, but can be an issue if you are only analog control & using old controll boxes.
I have had a few fail or just poor opperation. Some I bridged the legs, and some successfuly restored contacts using CRC 2.26
The replacement micro switches came in at a cost of about $4 NZD from a Electrical wholesaler here in NZ. I would say alot cheaper in the US.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline Hemmerich  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2011 00:28:57(UTC)
Hemmerich

Fred,

this problem has apparently been solved now.
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2011 11:40:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post
Fred,

Does this mean Märklin has acknowledged there was a problem and will repair all faulty solenoids ?

I like to know when they are solving the problem with the C-track switching track micro switches (24994)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline arconell  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2011 18:46:54(UTC)
arconell

Hi all,

The problem with the 74490's is a bit (or a lot) more complex then meets the eye. When your turn-outs don't switch over there can be a number of causes. The first and most common one is just lack of electrical power as is often mentioned also by Märklin themselves. More often then not aggravated by a sticking or dirty turn-out mechanism. The second cause certainly with the older 74490's having a single double-action microswitch, is... too much electrical power. It causes the solenoid plunger to bounce back at the end of its travel. An additional cause can be the microswitch itself. Either it switches off too early or not soon enough in both cases leaving the turn-out at a half-way position. In reality there is a delicate balance between the speed of the moving plunger and the moment the solenoid is interrupted by the microswitch and we find ourselves again confronted with root causes 1 or 2.
Meanwhile, most märklinists know by now that shorting out or removing the microswitch solve all these problems so we automatically assume that the microswitch is the culprit. It isn't but taking it out makes the switching action far more tolerant for both root causes numbers 1 and 2 and far less tolerant for analog switching...

As for contact arcing as described by Fred and many others in various places, indeed that causes contact wear and thus a reduced life span. However, this type of switches normally have a lifespan of 100000 duty cycles, at rated load, even the el-cheapo ones. So if that arcing cuts that life span in half, you're never going to use it up anyway. okay yes, YOU are the exception :-)

But hold on, there is yet another phenomena. And it is back to root cause number 1: not enough power and infrequent switching. That results in a build-up of dust, dirt on the contact surfaces which is not burnt away by the switching action and, indeed, by arcing across the contacts. So, a bit of arcing is indeed beneficial for reliable switching action and that arcing only occurs when sufficient power is applied at... closing of the contacts. For more interesting literature on this subject see:

http://relays.tycoelectr...tes/app_pdfs/13c3203.pdf
http://relays.tycoelectr...tes/app_pdfs/13c3236.pdf

Best regards, Robert

Edited by user 10 February 2011 23:19:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline Darren W  
#7 Posted : 11 February 2011 19:45:48(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post
Fred,

Lutz,

Please elaborate on how the problem has been solved.Confused

Thanks
Darren
Offline dntower85  
#8 Posted : 11 February 2011 20:03:21(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I have had the motor stick

see thread
https://www.marklin-user...px#post262656#post262656

This is a major annoyance especially when your turn out has been ballasted down and really bad if it is from one of the first batches of C-Track and it breaks when trying to repair. Also you would expect more quality for the price.Cursing
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Marius in Africa  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2011 20:23:42(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
I had my first one failed last month after only one year in service! So i have made the decision to remove all the contact switches on my turnout motors. Have to lift the track anyway to set up feedback sections and now is a good time to modify the whole lot.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.
Offline arconell  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2011 01:43:58(UTC)
arconell

Hi Darren, others,

Märklin has been working on these motors and modifying them ever since they were brought out. The new version 74491 according to Märklin has a new type of switch in them. Whether that solves all the problems??

What I tried to point out in my previous post were the causes of these problems. Once you have these motors built in you don´t want them to fail after only a short period of time.

To prevent that, there are a number of things you can do:
1- Take out or short out the microswitches but only if you switch your turn outs digitally with controlled/limited max. actuation time. (not possible with the old keyboard and 6021 or Intellibox 1).
2- Use the Viessmann 5211 decoder with their DC power module (5215) to power the motors. Or use any decoder, including good old K83 and feed the motors separately with 18-22 Volts DC similar to the Viessmann setup*
3- If you use analog switching use a separate 16V transformer dedicated to switching your turn outs only and use original purpose built pushbutton switches, Märklin or another good quality brand. Don´t put your elbow on them...
4- Always make sure that the mechanisms are clean and free. Collected dust combined with sticky oil dripping off your loco´s or coaches can be detrimental.

What you shouldn´t do (sorry Fred) is try to put capacitors or diodes into the switches in an effort to suppress the contact sparks.

The Viessmann C-rail turn-out motor has a built-in decoder and therefore no microswitches. A big advantage in this respect. Except for the price of course.

* When using digital power to switch the motors you are using a pulsed power, half of which is filtered away by diodes inside the decoder before it reaches the solenoid. K83 decoders and all other MM format decoders can very easily be modified to separate the digital signal for addressing the decoder from the power to actuate the motor solenoids. It can also be done with 74460 C-rail decoders.

Regards, Robert

Edited by user 12 February 2011 11:16:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by arconell
Offline Darren W  
#11 Posted : 12 February 2011 17:21:48(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Thanks for the information Robert. I am not ready to equip my switches yet and hopefully there will be reviews in on the new 74491 by the time I do.

Darren
Offline jeehring  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2011 18:17:34(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post
Hi Darren, others,

What you shouldn´t do (sorry Fred) is try to put capacitors or diodes into the switches in an effort to suppress the contact sparks.

...(...)....

Regards, Robert

...however, on the last generation of 74490 - at least since april 2010- may be before - according to some pictures, it seems that it's what Marklin did : they have installed a small capacitor on the PCB at each end of micro switches...
Moreover on a French forum , one guy said that he had been doing it a long time ago on older turnout motors : he has installed a 0.1 µf capacitor with the goal to prevent micro switches being dirty too quickly (because of micro sparks caused by "ruptured current"...sorry...it's my English...), then he made some endurance tests and obtained very good results.
-
According to someone who ask Marklin at Nuremberg toy fair, 74491 is said to be improved for more endurance , specially for including it into "Marklin - My World" range , as young customers used to try them very roughly & intensively....
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 08 March 2011 22:42:34(UTC)
H0

The turnout motor for My World is 74492.
I presume it's the same motor, but a different cable (different plug).

The 74490 has such a bad reputation, I presume they had to improve the endurance for everybody.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline arconell  
#14 Posted : 09 March 2011 00:51:16(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

...The 74490 has such a bad reputation, I presume they had to improve the endurance for everybody.

Spot on Tom, that is what I think too.

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Hi Darren, others,

...(...)....

Regards, Robert

...however, on the last generation of 74490 - at least since april 2010- may be before - according to some pictures, it seems that it's what Marklin did : they have installed a small capacitor on the PCB at each end of micro switches...
Moreover on a French forum , one guy said that he had been doing it a long time ago on older turnout motors : he has installed a 0.1 µf capacitor with the goal to prevent micro switches being dirty too quickly (because of micro sparks caused by "ruptured current"...sorry...it's my English...), then he made some endurance tests and obtained very good results.
-

Well, that is always the trouble with these endurance tests, you do a large number of switching actions in quick succession and it works beautifully. However if he´d run a blind test parallel to the test with the caps, it would have given equally good results.

To quote myself in an earlier post (sorry):
Quote:
In reality there is a delicate balance between the speed of the moving plunger and the moment the solenoid is interrupted by the microswitch

The way M has constructed 74490 is such that the plunger has an extremely long travel. For a reliable switching action it therefore needs powerful solenoids and a long metal insert in the plunger. That makes the plunger heavy. At the same time, they had to consider heat management of the coils under power, which comes at a premium because of the height restriction so as to fit into the C-rail turnouts and it being completely surrounded by insulating plastic. This and the requirement for both digital (short pulses) and analog switching results in a design that:
A- cannot tolerate power-up periods of longer than about 0,5 a second unless you intend to fry eggs
B- the long travel dictates a high current to actually get the plunger from one end to the other, which occurs at high velocity.
C- at high velocity, the heavy plunger develops a high kinetic energy at the end of its travel which must be destroyed in about 2 microsecond just before reaching the end of its travel, if you don´t want it to bounce back again
D- this is also where the microswitch comes in, it cuts the supply just at the right point of the travel, but only when the power is sufficient to get the plunger all the way across.

That means that the power rating of the microswitch must be relatively high, about one Amp. In fact it is only 500 mAmps, with gold plated contacts. There is a good reason for the underrated switch, because that way M had hoped that the relatively high current will keep the contacts clean by sparking, so long as the voltage is 16V or higher. A higher contact rating would theoretically give an increased life span but not without regular problems with dirty contacts. A well-known phenomena in switching contact design. M sacrificed longevity here for reliable switching. However in many cases the switching voltage is well under 16 Volts and thus no sparking at all occurs and collected dust and other contaminants don´t burn off resulting in malfunctions.

Frankly, M hasn´t been able to get to grips with all these requirements and during the time since 74490 was introduced they experimented with at least a dozen different modifications, involving the (placement of) the switches, the power of the coils, adding resistors, modifying the plunger and what not. Regrettably all with very limited succes...

I guess we all hope that 74491/2 will finally solve our problems...

Best regards, Robert

Offline jeehring  
#15 Posted : 09 March 2011 10:27:49(UTC)
jeehring

The turnout motor for My World is 74492.
I presume it's the same motor, but a different cable (different plug).

The 74490 has such a bad reputation, I presume they had to improve the endurance for everybody.

Sorry about my mistake : yes it is about the 74492.

It is only what someone reported to me....I didn't give any opinion.But the answer was given by an employee from Marklin....
It is so easy today to build a "reputation" (bad or good)on the internet, specially in the closed world of thematic forums...sometimes you just need 2 or 3 people .
If half a dozen of people : then it's a revolution. ScaredLaugh
Offline jeehring  
#16 Posted : 09 March 2011 11:06:07(UTC)
jeehring

...The 74490 has such a bad reputation, I presume they had to improve the endurance for everybody.

Hi Darren, others,

...(...)....

Regards, Robert

-

To quote myself in an earlier post (sorry):
Quote:
...(...)...A well-known phenomena in switching contact design. M sacrificed longevity here for reliable switching. However in many cases the switching voltage is well under 16 Volts and thus no sparking at all occurs and collected dust and other contaminants don´t burn off resulting in malfunctions.

Frankly, M hasn´t been able to get to grips with all these requirements and during the time since 74490 was introduced they experimented with at least a dozen different modifications, involving the (placement of) the switches, the power of the coils, adding resistors, modifying the plunger and what not. Regrettably all with very limited succes...

Best regards, Robert

....as you have said , it's a wellknown problem into the world of electrotechnology....(sparks....clogging of contacts...etc...)
With a selling price of 12/14 E a unit, it will be always a kind of technical compromise.It seems that other switching motors with micro switchs from other brands also have problems.....which is sure is that, because of the nature of 3 rails system a majority of 3 railers tend to try their equipment intensively ......
Offline jeehring  
#17 Posted : 09 March 2011 11:15:44(UTC)
jeehring

Hi Darren, others,

...(...)....Frankly, M hasn´t been able to get to grips with all these requirements and during the time since 74490 was introduced they experimented with at least a dozen different modifications, involving the (placement of) the switches, the power of the coils, adding resistors, modifying the plunger and what not. Regrettably all with very limited succes...

Best regards, Robert

Regards, Robert

...-

.....all the buzz made by customers is about all turnout motors since 25 years including different versions of K-track motors, early versions of C-track motors.......rarely about the last year products....
About the 74990 you said " a dozen of modifications"...are you sure ? ...don't you think that your information is including modifications of K-track motors , as well ?

Clogging up of the contact area of electrotechnical parts with time/using time is something natural (almost natural Laugh )and well accepted in other activities (About fouling up of the spark plugs, etc, cleanning them is a well accepted solution......Laugh
The true question is : how many commutations without troubles between 2 cleanups....100...10000....50000....1 million...?
A suggestion : why not to design a turnout-motor easy to open on which we could change the dirty micro-switches easily just in a few seconds without soldering or de-soldering, just plug & unplug....those micro swithches don't look expensive( it could be sold by Marklin themselves 1 E or 1.5 E for 1 pair...)I have no idea of the real price from the manufacturer .....May be "easy to connect" or "pluggable" microswithes is something difficult to find....May be they can be found , but not at a cheap price...? Confused.....
Above all :the pins allowing to plug/unplug those microswitches may become....another source of oxidation or clogging up ...Laugh LOL

Edited by user 09 March 2011 15:47:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ALopes  
#18 Posted : 14 March 2011 14:28:14(UTC)
ALopes

Hi,

I've had the same problem and started to disassemble (very carefully) the switch motor, opened the microswitches and cleaned the contacts. Apparently it solved the problem but, after a while, it came back again. Now I simply put 18 V DC on them as a regular operation voltage and if that is not enough I pump up till 24 V with an aux. trafo I have. I know it's a bit risky, but I got tired of taking off the switch, repairing and putting it back again. Now every switches are working and none has burned yet.
24 V it's a lot, but for a very short period of time...

Rgds

António

Offline arconell  
#19 Posted : 15 March 2011 00:05:35(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: ALopes Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I've had the same problem and started to disassemble (very carefully) the switch motor, opened the microswitches and cleaned the contacts. Apparently it solved the problem but, after a while, it came back again. Now I simply put 18 V DC on them as a regular operation voltage and if that is not enough I pump up till 24 V with an aux. trafo I have. I know it's a bit risky, but I got tired of taking off the switch, repairing and putting it back again. Now every switches are working and none has burned yet.
24 V it's a lot, but for a very short period of time...

Rgds

António

Yep, nothing like nuking them to keep 'em working :-) But seriously it is the only way to keep these contacts clean. Mine switch on 22V DC, since about 2 years now. Loud but reliable.

Regards, Robert

Edited by user 15 March 2011 09:21:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Drongo  
#20 Posted : 15 March 2011 05:33:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if my problem is the same as what has been talked about in this thread, so here goes - Some of my turnouts don't work correctly, i.e. when I change direction by means of the CS2 the turnout changes and a few seconds later is switches back by itself. Does anyone know what the cause of this problem?

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline saetta  
#21 Posted : 10 November 2011 23:55:12(UTC)
saetta

Just came back to Marklin after being absent many years . Yes I have had the same problem with 74490 as they only work one way now. They worked well for a few months, but no more! fortunately I only bought 2. Hoping 74491 will perform as advertised!?!? Has anyone tried the new ones yet?

Mike
Offline efel  
#22 Posted : 11 November 2011 22:51:25(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: saetta Go to Quoted Post
Hoping 74491 will perform as advertised!?!? Has anyone tried the new ones yet?

Mike

Hi,
Somebody reported the same behaviour as for the 74490, on a french forum:
http://www.3rails-forum.org/t69...491-toujours-pas-fiables

Fred
Offline saetta  
#23 Posted : 12 November 2011 22:47:30(UTC)
saetta

I can't believe Marklin can't this problem! It's rather important to have switches working properly !!!
Offline GSRR  
#24 Posted : 12 November 2011 23:15:09(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
K83 decoders and all other MM format decoders can very easily be modified to separate the digital signal for addressing the decoder from the power to actuate the motor solenoids. It can also be done with 74460 C-rail decoders.

Regards, Robert

Robert,

can you give a little more detail on this?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline arcanjo  
#25 Posted : 13 November 2011 00:09:21(UTC)
arcanjo

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: saetta Go to Quoted Post
Hoping 74491 will perform as advertised!?!? Has anyone tried the new ones yet?

Mike

Hi,
Somebody reported the same behaviour as for the 74490, on a french forum:
http://www.3rails-forum.org/t69...491-toujours-pas-fiables

Fred

Hi all!

I have acquire a number of 74491 to replace my troublesome 74490 and so far so good, not a single glitch!ThumpUp

Regards!
Offline Eirik  
#26 Posted : 13 November 2011 04:02:31(UTC)
Eirik

A quick tip that removes some pain when replacing solenoids on laid/ballasted track/turnouts:
Before installation, put one turnout upside down, put a piece of paper on top, draw around the turnout, outline the motor, use scissors, and you have a template.
Put the template where the turnout are placed on the layout, mark the motor-placement, cut out a hole, and you can access the solenoid and others from under your layout if any need for servicing.

Or use Tortoise-motors, or servos.
Easy installation, and lower price.
Offline saetta  
#27 Posted : 13 November 2011 16:27:05(UTC)
saetta

arcanjo

Great to hear that!
Offline arconell  
#28 Posted : 13 November 2011 20:16:51(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
K83 decoders and all other MM format decoders can very easily be modified to separate the digital signal for addressing the decoder from the power to actuate the motor solenoids. It can also be done with 74460 C-rail decoders.

Regards, Robert

Robert,

can you give a little more detail on this?

r/Thomas

Hi Thomas,
When using the 5215 Viessmann powermodule, connect the 5215 output brown to K83 input brown. On the K83 turnout connections, do not use the middle yellow connection. The yellow wires from the turnouts (all 4) are connected to the E (red) connection of the 5215. The blue:s go on the K83 red and greens. That's it.

The 5215 is nothing more than a full wave rectifier w. smoothing elco, E= Minus and Brown = Plus. When making one yourself, make sure it is a full wave rectifier with smoothing capacitor.

Ps: Using 16 V AC directly from a separate transformer also works, again brown on brown and red (yellow) on the yellow turnouts, but doesn't solve the problem because of the diode in the K83 you only get half wave on the turnout motor.

The same trick also works with the C rail buit-in decoder.

Regards, Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline Danlake  
#29 Posted : 22 April 2016 09:51:02(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
So I received 5 pcs of the new version 74491. Main difference is that the micro switch has a different model number, the small varistor is different and they now use electrical tape to protect the contacts.

In my nativity I assumed that the circuit is identical with the older types, and not trusting that Marklin truely have fixed the problem, I went ahead and shorted the contacts...

Result - no response on the solenoid at all. I tried different DC voltages from 12v to 18v.

I have done previously +30 turnout modification of the old version and had no issues with them afterwards.

So either I have been extremely unlucky and received 5 pcs not working initially (I did not test them before I did they modification) or else you cannot do the modification on the new version?

I have now ordered replacement of 74490 from eBay as I can no longer assure that I will receive new or old version of 74491.

Enclosed photo below.

UserPostedImage

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#30 Posted : 22 April 2016 10:15:12(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Tutorial how to fix a C-track Märklin turnout:

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline BrandonVA  
#31 Posted : 22 April 2016 17:01:35(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

Neat! I wonder, will this type of operation work with newer style K track solenoids that stop responding?

-Brandon
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#32 Posted : 22 April 2016 18:32:11(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Neat! I wonder, will this type of operation work with newer style K track solenoids that stop responding?

-Brandon

Yes, it is the same fault, why K track turnouts stop working.

Moritz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 22 April 2016 20:00:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post

Anyway, if we don't want to take the risk to get a failure on a permanent layout, I see 4 solutions

- use other motors than 74490
- connect a capacitor in parallel with each switch (but there is still a small spark, even with 500nF)
- connect a back-emf diode (or 2 x 30V zeners in series if the motor is used in AC, or a 30V transil,) in parallel with each switch.
- short the switches and use only current pulse for driving the motor.

In the last 3 cases, it's necessary to open the motor.

Fred

The most recent motors from Marklin come with a snubber network across the contacts but they still break down. I am not sure if the network is a transil type device, but I suspect so.

Offline Danlake  
#34 Posted : 24 April 2016 05:11:28(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
So question remains how do you modify these new version of turnout motors, if you wish to do?

Any talk on stumi on issues modifying the new turnout motors?

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#35 Posted : 24 April 2016 14:18:08(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
So question remains how do you modify these new version of turnout motors, if you wish to do?

It is the same as I showed with C-track turnouts: short circuit the micro switch! You don't have the response function anymore, but the turnout motor will work.

Moritz

Offline PMPeter  
#36 Posted : 24 April 2016 16:23:35(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   

Any talk on stumi on issues modifying the new turnout motors?

Brgds Lasse

Martin T posted a video on April 1st how to repair these:

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t35563-Tutorial-how-to-fix-a-failing-Marklin-turnout----switch-motor-75491

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Danlake  
#37 Posted : 25 April 2016 10:14:32(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   

It is the same as I showed with C-track turnouts: short circuit the micro switch! You don't have the response function anymore, but the turnout motor will work.

Moritz

Hi gents,

I am sorry - I think my post has been misunderstood Crying

I am well aware on how to short the switches BigGrin

The reason I posted the photo was to warn people of the potential downfall of short circuiting the NEW improved 74491 version released by Marklin in 2016.

I made the modification with 5 complete new pieces and afterwards none of them worked after applying power manually...

So curious if any other users have tried modifying the new improved version? Or maybe heard something on Stummi forum?

Brgds Lasse
Offline RayF  
#38 Posted : 25 April 2016 14:22:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Moritz

Hi gents,

I am sorry - I think my post has been misunderstood Crying

I am well aware on how to short the switches BigGrin

The reason I posted the photo was to warn people of the potential downfall of short circuiting the NEW improved 74491 version released by Marklin in 2016.

I made the modification with 5 complete new pieces and afterwards none of them worked after applying power manually...

So curious if any other users have tried modifying the new improved version? Or maybe heard something on Stummi forum?

Brgds Lasse

Hi Lasse,

Did you try reversing the modification? If you put them back how they come from the factory do they work or not?

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Danlake  
#39 Posted : 25 April 2016 21:34:30(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Ray,

Thanks - no I didn't do that yet.

I was set on doing the modification so I didn't had to go back again in case I got failures in the furture, so the 5 solenoid just went into a bag in the cupboard...

But I will try it. As I said previously I could have of course been very unlucky to have received faulty solenoid from the beginning.

Brgds Lasse