Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2016 21:39:08(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
the coupler appears to be broken on this HO passenger car. the couplers on this car differ from most of my older tin cars. not sure how to go about replacing and what type of coupler do i need? any advice, or guidance is appreciated.DSCN0882.JPGDSCN0883.JPG
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2016 00:50:27(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: thomas buckley Go to Quoted Post
the coupler appears to be broken on this HO passenger car. the couplers on this car differ from most of my older tin cars. not sure how to go about replacing and what type of coupler do i need? any advice, or guidance is appreciated.DSCN0882.JPGDSCN0883.JPG

Is it one of those Rocco couplers?? If it works, leave it alone. Check this site work info on couplers and you will understand.
Haven't got them myself yet, but they have been recommended to me just this month.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2016 01:22:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
As far as I can tell, what you have there is a Roco 40397 Universal Close Coupler. This is Roco's version of the Maerklin 7203 and is compatible with both that coupling and with the standard Maerklin type loop and pin coupling. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the couplings in the photo.
The coach in the photo looks like a 45803 type TEE Apum-62 (later Apvmz121). The model has a length of 303mm and is exact 1/87. Your older tin cars have a length of 240mm and a scale length of roughly 1/120 compared to the prototype. Using the destination sign as a clue, your model probably comes from a set 64024 or 64025 TEE Blauer Enzian.
While it is possible to combine these modern exact scale coaches with the older rolling stock, I am of the opinion that it is better to use each type in it's own consist.
If you still want to use a standard hook and pin coupling, all Roco coaches come with a little plastic baggie containing additional parts, including a pair of the normal couplings.
To remove the couplings from the coach, I usually place the coach upside down in the Roco packaging, use the tweezers from the Maerklin screwdriver kit to push the little nibs on the end of the coupler together and then pull the coupling away from the coach with my hands. In some cases, it can help to secure the coupling shaft when pulling. Once the coupler has been removed, you can install the standard coupling by inserting it into the now open shaft.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c