Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vnangli  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2016 20:24:14(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Marklin Fans,
I was browsing a Marklin dealers website. And I found an item of my interest, which had Mfx+ decoder functions.
Are these locos backward compatible? What I mean to ask is, can these locos run on tracks operated by a Mobile station which has abilities handle Mfx, MM2 and DCC?

Most of the locos I have are Mfx and have kept me very happy. With this new decoder Mfx+ (new to me as I hadnt seen this before till today), I am a little worried that my locos may be outdated. And there may not be any support for Mfx locos in the future (say next 3-5 years)
Am I worrying without any reason? Please help.

I am okay learning new stuff. But the pace with which I have to keep up learning is the problem.Crying Confused Sad

Thanks
Vijay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2016 20:35:15(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The Mobile Station has no problems with mfx+ decoders AFAIK.
The MS2 also supports mfx+ decoders provided it has version 1.83 or higher.

mfx+ has no advantages unless you use a Central Station 2.
mfx is backwards compatible to mfx.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2016 20:37:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Vijay,

Your Mobile Station 2 should be able to handle mfx+ locos with no problem as long as the software is V1.83 or higher. Earlier versions might still work but take longer to register an mfx+ loco and you may not get all the information displayed properly on the screen.

As for backward compatibility, earlier versions of digital locos should work on any new controller that is produced, though obviously they will be restricted to the functions (or lack of them) that were originally installed.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline vnangli  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2016 21:20:20(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Vijay,

Your Mobile Station 2 should be able to handle mfx+ locos with no problem as long as the software is V1.83 or higher. Earlier versions might still work but take longer to register an mfx+ loco and you may not get all the information displayed properly on the screen.

As for backward compatibility, earlier versions of digital locos should work on any new controller that is produced, though obviously they will be restricted to the functions (or lack of them) that were originally installed.

Thank you both for the quick reply....Have a nice day.
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 19 April 2016 02:47:52(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Marklin controllers still support MM (Marklin Motorola, the original protocol released in 1984/1985). Newer versions will always come out, but I don't think that instantly invalidates the previous version. Nobody knows the future, but I expect mfx will be supported by Marklin for the foreseeable future.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2016 05:05:52(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Call me naive, but I really don't see Marklin making any new product that results in the older version becoming unusable.

From what I have seen, this has never happened. Even modern digital locos can be used in analogue with good results.

Backward compatible seems to be Marklin's modus operandi. So, even I do not worry about something....OhMyGod
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2016 06:07:15(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I do know that some Marklin Controllers (I am thinking MS1 here) do not support the earliest version of Digital fx decoder as found in the 49960 wagon.. So there is some degree of obsolescence in their product technology. At least it is not as bad as Apple, who expect you to fork out $1300 every 3 years for a new phone that was pretty much the same as the last one..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2016 08:14:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I do know that some Marklin Controllers (I am thinking MS1 here) do not support the earliest version of Digital fx decoder as found in the 49960 wagon.
I think the MS2 doesn't support these either.

There are some limitations and incompatibilities.
Owners of a Delta Control can use recent digital locos, but cannot change their addresses - a different controller is needed to change the address.
Mobile Station users cannot dim the lights of modern locos or change the speed curves for mfx locos - with the fx decoders of 2004 they could do that.

The Central Station 60212 is the only Märklin controller that supports the MM protocol with 28 speed steps.

AFAIK many digital locos are incompatible with the analogue controllers 6600 and 6699.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#9 Posted : 19 April 2016 15:18:29(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
There are exceptions. I would hazard to say most general items are supported.

I don't really see mfx+ bringing so much more performance than mfx is outdated, unless one really like the cab control on CS2/3. Will the previous mld/msd decoders be outdated with the release of the Mld3/msd3? Marklin will stop selling the former. With the new ones perform better? Time will tell. But if you're happy with the performance of the current decoders, whatever they are, I would not worry.

I have some locomotives with C90 FX decoders, I am perfectly happy with how they run. I had one with a C80 MM decoder, I did not like the way it ran so I upgraded it. Others may prefer it one way or the other, but if you're ok with how they run how, I wouldn't worry about it overall.

-Brandon