Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tom Jessop  
#1 Posted : 17 April 2016 13:04:41(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I have brought a Brawa ET89 rail car from Shamu which is fitted a decoder . Although the full documentation is with the item the booklet which refers to the decoder & how to set up etc is in German with no sub titles available . Anyone know if this is available in English or should I be looking at ESU , Zimo or one of the other numerous companies making decoders for the trade .

Thanks in advance ,

Cheers Tom in Oz .
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 April 2016 13:20:46(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
If you have some way of reading the CV's on the decoder, try reading the value of CV8. If it returns 151, you have an ESU decoder.

Other manufacturer codes can be found in the following link - seems Märklin isn't on the link, although Trix are!

http://www.nmra.org/site...appendix_a2c_s-9.2.2.pdf
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 17 April 2016 13:41:05(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
If you have some way of reading the CV's on the decoder, try reading the value of CV8. If it returns 151, you have an ESU decoder.

Other manufacturer codes can be found in the following link - seems Märklin isn't on the link, although Trix are!

http://www.nmra.org/site...appendix_a2c_s-9.2.2.pdf

Trix decimal are 131 which are Selectrix,if i remember correct.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 17 April 2016 18:02:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Trix decimal are 131 which are Selectrix,if i remember correct.
Decoders with code 131 can be Selectrix, DCC, or mfx. Märklin use the Trix number for all their decoders.
I bet you cannot find them factory-installed in Brawa locos.

For many years Brawa used ESU and 151 would be my first guess.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2016 01:06:09(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
To the best of my recollection it has a ESU V4 M4 decoder in it.

I can't recall if I found a English version of the decoder manual on the ESU site but will have a look through my downloaded manuals later and have another look on the ESU site....... I'm sure I found something more informative than the useless "Decoder Manual" that comes in the box.

Then again I could be thinking of something else Blushing Confused
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2016 03:33:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I can't recall if I found a English version of the decoder manual on the ESU site .......

There is an English manual available for the ESU V4 M4 decoders on the ESU site.
Offline Shamu  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2016 04:40:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
AARRR HHHHHHHHH......... the last few time I have tried to type anything longer than a paragraph or 2 the f#&%king text vanishes....... try again.

Sorry David I meant to say the Brawa site for a more detailed decoder manual/instructions than what come with the loco. You are correct that there is a very detailed manual for the V4 M4 on the ESU site.

I checked both the Brawa site and there is no detailed Specific Manual for the decoded in the ET89, well you can try and figure out if one of the manuals on the following page are of any use;

List of Decoder Manuals on the Brawa site, as to which one is which you guess is as good as mine. (EDIT: sorry they are the D&H decoders, the first 4 are currently dead links Confused) I know I found the decoder manuals on the Brawa site a year or so back when I got the 3 loco's but be buggered if I can find where I downloaded it to.Cursing

I recall something about a "Premium Decoder" in it.

I have this list of functions in my download folder for the ET89;

F0 Light ON/OFF
F1 Sound ON/OFF
F2 Airhorn
F3 Interior lightning (AUX 3)
F4 Cab light (AUX 1, AUX 2)
F5 Bell
F6 Shunting mode
F7 Conductors signal
F8 Sanding
F9 Valve
F10 Pantograph sound
F11 Airhorn Short
F12 Ventilator sound
F13 Compressor sound
F14 Shunting Light
F15 Coupler

It should all show up if registered as MFX but like i said to Tom I am unfamiliar with the workings of the CS1R so not sure how well it plays with mfx. If DCC it will be a peck and hunt to find and sort them.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu