Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2016 01:50:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
These are cute and I could eventually see one or more of these sitting around, but I am wondering about actually using them in shunting operations.

That would be entertaining to watch if they have enough power to pull it off, so to speak. BigGrin

Opinions?
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2016 08:19:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I don't know how these locos were used in Austria, but in Germany they were built for branch line service, not for shunting.
A branch line train with 2 or 3 cars (2 axles each) should be possible without inclines.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2016 17:11:36(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Speaking strictly from a model perspective regarding the Marklin Glaskasten locomotives; they are very light and as a result do not have a lot of traction. I have 3686, and while it's lovely, I think it would struggle to pull more than three cars (about 6 axles), especially if any of them were heavier metal wagons (as opposed to the more modern plastic wagons from the 80s-on). However, I know it can pull at least two plastic wagons (4 axles) up a 4% grade, as this was done on my previous layout.

The limiting factor here is weight of the locomotive itself, it's just not heavy enough to provide good traction. Also, with shunting there is a possibility of transversing turnouts at slow speed, another challenge for a very lightweight digital locomotive.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2016 00:48:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

The limiting factor here is weight of the locomotive itself, it's just not heavy enough to provide good traction. Also, with shunting there is a possibility of transversing turnouts at slow speed, another challenge for a very lightweight digital locomotive.
-Brandon

OK - that is basically what I had assumed but I wanted to see what others though. It actually was kind of a dumb post since it is a branch line and not a yard type lok anyway, as HO pointed out. So it is cute and one or more would look nice in a yard or making excursion runs, but I need the $$ elsewhere at the moment.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by user 16 April 2016 10:04:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2016 05:05:24(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

OK - that is basically what I had assumed but I wanted to see what others though. It actually was kind of a dumb post since it is a branch line and not a yard type lok anyway, as HO pointed out. So it is cute and one or more would look nice in a yard or making excursion runs, but I need the $$ elsewhere at the moment. How they fit sound into that lok is beyond my understanding.

Thanks for the input.

Most likely a prototype can be found for most anything if you look hard enough. :) German trains often dropped off cars and picked up cars along their route, the locomotive doing it's own shunting, especially at smaller stations. Not yard work per say, but perhaps excuses could be made.

At any rate, slightly heavier locomotives like BR80, V60, etc are all excellent shunters, not only in real life, but also due to the good traction the Marklin version's have.

-Brandon
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2016 10:12:18(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Most likely a prototype can be found for most anything if you look hard enough. :) German trains often dropped off cars and picked up cars along their route, the locomotive doing it's own shunting, especially at smaller stations. Not yard work per say, but perhaps excuses could be made.

At any rate, slightly heavier locomotives like BR80, V60, etc are all excellent shunters, not only in real life, but also due to the good traction the Marklin version's have.

-Brandon

I am good at coming up with ways to link what I can or want to do with some prototype behavior, even when it is a stretch. :-)

I agree - there are lots of good Marklin options for shunting operation available with good traction and telex couplers too.
Regards,
Jim