Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2016 17:59:38(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
which decoder is recommended for 3315 locomotive? what info is needed to make the right choice?
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2016 18:17:35(UTC)
H0

Ask five persons and you will get six different recommendations.
My preference would be ESU LokPilot V4 (without M4). Märklin MLD 60942 will also do for me. I might even use a Märklin 60760 for such a slow loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2016 19:35:51(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Ask five persons and you will get six different recommendations.
My preference would be ESU LokPilot V4 (without M4). Märklin MLD 60942 will also do for me. I might even use a Märklin 60760 for such a slow loco.

Well tom, I would have said the same...Wink
But I think the ESUs are a little more straightforward to program/tune ...but that's just a personal opinion!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2016 11:02:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Tom

I think the 3315 is a 5 star locomotive which needs a new motor (Marklin 60941) and a decoder and the total cost may vary from 25 to 125 € or more with ESU+sound
If you have a CS2 I strongly recommend to stay with Marklin decoders for compatibility.
The cheapest w/o sound is the marklin 60760 which includes both a new motor and a simplified digital decoder (w. speed control and regulation and inertia simulation).
Cheers

Jean
PS: see also 3315 details

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2016 11:14:47(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
I think the 3315 is a 5 star locomotive which needs a new motor (Marklin 60941)
It is a no star locomotive with a three-pole motor.
The five star locos had 35xx numbers.

A motor set 60941 (or 60760) is needed for that loco. I should have mentioned that in my post, but since I wouldn't add a decoder without motor conversion nowadays, I skipped this prerequisite.

Having a Märklin controller is no reason to buy Märklin decoders IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2016 15:46:51(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, I do have a Marklin controller and very happy with ESU decoders, I may add that in this case the M4 ones are more friendly to configure.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2016 19:17:54(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

A motor set 60941 (or 60760) is needed for that loco. I should have mentioned that in my post, but since I wouldn't add a decoder without motor conversion nowadays, I skipped this prerequisite.

Having a Märklin controller is no reason to buy Märklin decoders IMHO.

I agree - I have learned to just upgrade the motors and decoders at the same time for the best results.

I have a related question. I recently upgraded my 3657 with the 60760 set and it runs pretty well now. It runs at a nice constant speed but that decoder seems to have just a few large speed steps and I can not get it to accelerate/decelerate smoothly. From what I have read there are limited CV's available on that decoder and that is not something that I can change.

I assume that eventually I will just replace that decoder with a a LokPilot V4.0. I have done one upgrade already with that decoder, set the CV's with my CS2 and it was all really easy. The 3657 is a nice Lok and I think it is worth the cost of a LokPilot 4 unless there is some way to smooth out its operation using the decoder from the 60760.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2016 20:14:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have a related question. I recently upgraded my 3657 with the 60760 set and it runs pretty well now. It runs at a nice constant speed but that decoder seems to have just a few large speed steps and I can not get it to accelerate/decelerate smoothly.
14 speed steps only.
CV 3 allows to set accelerating and braking delay - I use large values around 20 to get it smooth enough.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2016 21:37:34(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
14 speed steps only.
CV 3 allows to set accelerating and braking delay - I use large values around 20 to get it smooth enough.

OK, I will check what that is set to and try a larger value - thanks for that tip. It also seemed like increasing the minimum speed smoothed out the operation, although I had no idea what values made sense for that. I'm sure it varies from lok to lok depending on the motor and drive train.

Regards,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2016 00:34:42(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
14 speed steps only.

Thanks Tom - that made a very nice improvement.

I had forgotten that I decided to start with the default CV values and I had only changed the values that the CS2 uses. So CV 3 was still set to the default value of 3 which was causing the jerky acceleration. I changed it to 20 and now it operates very nicely, much more like what I had hoped for with the installation of the 60760 set. Great advice.

Best Regards,

Jim

Regards,
Jim