Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2016 23:36:57(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Just wondering what people do in terms of realistic industry to match wagons as in parking/shunting wagons in places that would deal with that type of material?

As an example I have three coal hoppers and plan to get three more, but am not looking at what to have on my layout where they could "live". Does anyone have any ideas or photos?

I also have odd things like a Cocio tanker and other random wagon, what do they "go" with?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by morsing
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2016 01:00:27(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Here is a small coal mine on a Maerklin layout with Kibri structures for orientation:
coalminesmallh0.png
http://www.bahnbetriebsw...Belgien_flash/index.html

A Cocio tanker would go with a dairy factory. Faller is offering one:
http://www.faller.de/App.../Molkerei-mit-Silos.html
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2016 16:38:22(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
If you were more ambitious, here is a sketch of a condensed blast furnace version which would take up mostly vertical space.
furnaceprinciple.png
Note that a blast furnace needs coke instead of coal.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2016 16:46:25(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
If you were less ambitious, here is an artist´s concept of a bucket elevator which could serve an off-scene installation.
bucketelevator.jpg

Prototypical example of the Hoher Meissner mountain massif in Hesse where lignite deposits were mined until 1970. The lignite arrived via a cable car at a rather modest - i.e. easy to model - loading dock - see pic.
HoherMeissner.jpg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2016 17:08:14(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Then, based on the above, you could - even on a very limited space of less than one sqm - simulate realistic open-top traffic with empties-in/loads-out arrangements: Circling in one direction empty gondolas go in, and circling the opposite way loaded gondolas go out - see screenshot.
coalloadingcoalconsumingindustry2016.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2016 00:27:52(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Perhaps you can make them part of a unit train that passes thru your town or city. Here in the US heavy freight trains are called drag freights which sometimes have superior rights over first class trains as they can not stop or accelerate quickly especially on grades were they may stall which may add interest to your operations. You can also add additional cars that do not support any local industries and are just passing by to a different town. The unit train can also stop to refuel, change crews, change/add engines or even add additional cars-Fred
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2016 10:38:30(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I think one of the most flexible "industries" is to have a siding next to a harbour dock. It doesn't even have to be in a setting near to the sea thanks to the big rivers like the Rhine or Danube, or canal systems. You don't even have to model the ship/barge or could make them removable. Then every different type of vessel would justify a different set of railway freight wagons.

Carim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Carim  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2016 10:43:52(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Then, based on the above, you could - even on a very limited space of less than one sqm - simulate realistic open-top traffic with empties-in/loads-out arrangements: Circling in one direction empty gondolas go in, and circling the opposite way loaded gondolas go out - see screenshot.

I really like these sort of arrangements - it gives real purpose to your trains rather than just running around in circles.

Carim
Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2016 10:48:15(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
The unit train can also stop to refuel, change crews, change/add engines or even add additional cars-Fred

This is also quite common in Germany where many local yards have been lifted just leaving a passing loop or two where a train can pull in for a crew change.

Carim

Offline Alsterstreek  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2016 11:54:50(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
I think one of the most flexible "industries" is to have a siding next to a harbour dock. It doesn't even have to be in a setting near to the sea thanks to the big rivers like the Rhine or Danube, or canal systems. You don't even have to model the ship/barge or could make them removable. Then every different type of vessel would justify a different set of railway freight wagons.

Carim
Which takes us here:
https://www.marklin-user...the-prototype#post514266

and here:
https://www.marklin-user...ck-plan-ideas#post514264

;o)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2016 20:34:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
My approach is opposite. As I'm designing a layout based on locations, I'm picking up some specific industry cars that match the locations, while not having dedicated industry models planned in other than maybe the background mural depicting the source/destination. Eg, my layout will include Neuhof, Germany with its Kali mountain from which Kali deliveries to the fertilizer industry would normally be served, but I'm good sending those instead to my Mannheim, Germany destination where ABB electrical transformers will be sourced, and BASF (from accross the river) chemical cars will get loaded .. so I' can say, well the kali goes to BASF, and the transformers and chemicals go up to the K+S plant in Neuhof. Its all just a story about why the cars are on the layout and where they might go.. but in the end I'll have generic freight cars as well (a Beer car from Mannheim, and ice cream and other generic goods that just go around).. that I can drop off at cities to deliver consumer goods. If you have a large amount of a dedicated industry, then there is a motivation to build out an actual layout segment with that industry appearing in modeled form, as you may be doing. That would also support the modeling-a-railroad activity.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline morsing  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2016 09:17:36(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
That's some great ideas! I love the Kibri coal mine, will see if I can fit it on my layout if I can find the size somewhere.

My problem is probably that I've bought all these random wagons because I liked them, not really having an overall plan. Blushing

I really want my layout to have operating possibilities, not just running around in circles.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline Angus  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2016 09:44:05(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post

My problem is probably that I've bought all these random wagons because I liked them, not really having an overall plan. Blushing

I think this is a problem most of us have. I don't have a massive collection so I also like to have all my wagons & coaches accounted for in a consist, there are always those few that just don't look right in any of the consists. Even though I don't worry about being prototypical either.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#14 Posted : 05 April 2016 14:39:02(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
That's some great ideas! I love the Kibri coal mine, will see if I can fit it on my layout if I can find the size somewhere.

Here is the link for Kibri:

Kibri "H0 Zeche Herbede" incl. motor, L 60 x W 16 x H 37 cm:
http://www.viessmann-mod...th=&cat=&lang=de

Faller has also two related models:

Faller art. 130945 "Förderanlage Marienschacht", 26 x 17.5 x 27.5 cm
http://www.faller.de/App...nlage-Marienschacht.html

Faller art. 130944 "Grube Fortuna“, 52 x 20 x 31 cm
http://www.faller.de/App...cm.at/Grube-Fortuna.html
Offline Minok  
#15 Posted : 05 April 2016 19:40:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post

I think this is a problem most of us have. I don't have a massive collection so I also like to have all my wagons & coaches accounted for in a consist, there are always those few that just don't look right in any of the consists. Even though I don't worry about being prototypical either.

I figure if your layout has two cities/towns with even marginally small freight capability (heck just one siding).. then you can justify many of the freight cars to moving consumer goods and materials between the towns/cities. You don't have to model or have dedicated association of a product to a city.

So I have a Weiser Rieße (laundry detergent), Langnesse (ice cream), Eichbaum (beer), Aral (gasoline) cars. Cities need beer, gas and the ability to wash laundry and kick back with ice cream while our waiting on the load ti finish. I don't feel the need to model a refinery, nor a plant. But I might - depending on what space I've got to fill once the layout gets filled in.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline BrandonVA  
#16 Posted : 05 April 2016 20:40:47(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
On my "new" layout design, as was with the previous, it's all about having places for wagons to be taken to/from. While not ultra prototypical, I have several options.

-Two station areas, good for passenger services to, from and beyond. Also good for crew changes, post service, and local good freight loading, and transfer of wagons from one train to another.
-Industry spurs featuring a factory "district"; some sort of manufacturing, a brewery, and a small (Faller) coal power plant.
-A mining operation which will supply coal to the industry district, railroad, and beyond.
-A small shunting/loading/classification yard; goods can be brough here, loaded, unloaded, classified, moved from one train to another, etc. The yard itself may also consume some goods such as tanker cars to fuel diesel shunters, possibly coal for the steam engines. The yard features a 7051 crane for loading/unloading of larger goods. I have been thinking about adding a river pier here for additional possibilities.

Trains may travel around the loops a few times to simulate the act of going to/from. Wagons will move between these industries, and also leave and arrive from destinations beyond the layout that are represented mostly by trains traveling in repeated loops and in and out of tunnels.

My wagon collection is mostly what it is, so these wagons will find a purpose to server the local structures, or otherwise just be passing through.

-Brandon
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Brakeman  
#17 Posted : 06 April 2016 07:13:06(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
I have a small modular layout with a engine facility and a freight depot in the other end.
There are two sidings I can use for incoming and outgoing trains.
It takes half an hour to move the empties from the spurs to the outgoing train and deliver the incoming cars to the businesses.
The coal cars and tankers go to the bunker behind the engine house. Freight cars go to the freight depot and the small manufacturing plant.

I have switch lists my friends go thru when visiting us. Two men can work together, one as an engineer and one as a switchman.

Keep on shunting,
Juha

WP_20160405_15_25_12_b.jpg
WP_20160405_15_22_59_b.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Brakeman