Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#151 Posted : 30 January 2016 11:13:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
......either it is UP TO 32GB or AN ADDITIONAL 32GB

When watching the CS3 video last night, I got the impression it is an additional 32Gb, whereas before I was thinking it was a maximum of 32Gb (video states "4Gb Internal Memory, can be expanded by 32Gb."

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#152 Posted : 30 January 2016 13:49:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
But it doesn't make sense to me to provide the socket without full USB functionality. That is real weird. If you have a mouse and keyboard plugged in where are you going to plug the USB stick to upgrade or backup? Just doesn't make sense.

Plug in a wireless nano router into the network port and use the USB Port near to it for the power of the Router/Access Point - now you have a CS3 with WLAN - does it make sense?

Kind regards
Jörg

This, of course, assumes you have one handy, which I don't.

I suspect the keyboard and mouse ports are permanently limited to the 100mA basic power that USB is obliged to provide without having the capability of supplying more, whereas I suspect the third port may have USB3 power capability, whiich AIUI is more than the 500mA that a USB2 port can be asked to provide.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#153 Posted : 30 January 2016 13:51:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

When watching the CS3 video last night, I got the impression it is an additional 32Gb, whereas before I was thinking it was a maximum of 32Gb (video states "4Gb Internal Memory, can be expanded by 32Gb."

Expanded by 32GB makes more sense, as I don't know of a source of 28GB memory cards ... Woot Woot Woot

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#154 Posted : 30 January 2016 14:06:12(UTC)
Goofy

Expanded by 32GB makes more sense, as I don't know of a source of 28GB memory cards ... Woot Woot Woot

I have 16 GB in my iPhone.
Plenty space of the new program...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline steventrain  
#155 Posted : 30 January 2016 14:16:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Do the CS3plus have cab control and PC software?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline NewComix  
#156 Posted : 30 January 2016 14:17:45(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi,

Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

But it doesn't make sense to me to provide the socket without full USB functionality. That is real weird. If you have a mouse and keyboard plugged in where are you going to plug the USB stick to upgrade or backup? Just doesn't make sense.

Plug in a wireless nano router into the network port and use the USB Port near to it for the power of the Router/Access Point - now you have a CS3 with WLAN - does it make sense?

Kind regards
Jörg

This, of course, assumes you have one handy, which I don't.

I bought one for my CS2. It was about 25€ for a TP Link. Very straight forward set up with my iPhone and it worked after 5 Minutes config work including the password change.

kind regards
Jörg

Offline Sankch  
#157 Posted : 15 February 2016 12:56:40(UTC)
Sankch

Originally Posted by: Sankch Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Can the 60213 connect to the 60216? What ref number is the cable between the 60213 CS2 and 60216 CS3plus?

I was asking me the same question, as in Marklin new item catalog, when they refer to the cs2, they mention only 60214 and 60215.

So i wrote earlier today an email to marklin in order to have a answer. I will post here their reply.

Here is the reply I received Saturday from Märklin.

"you can also integrate the CS2 60213 in the system with the CS3 60216. But it must have only one 60213 in the system. Because of the fact that the 60213 don't have the galvanic isolation. The same works for the CS3 60226."

So no problem to still operate our 60213 with the new Cs3 and CS3Plus, as soon as there no more than one cs2 60213.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Sankch
Offline H0  
#158 Posted : 15 February 2016 13:16:26(UTC)
H0

So no problem to still operate our 60213 with the new Cs3 and CS3Plus, as soon as there no more than one cs2 60213.
You can have one booster without galvanic insulation in your layout (60213, early 60214, 60173). As I understand it you can have several 60213/4 as long as only one of them is also used as a booster for the layout. And with some restrictions you can even use several 60213 as boosters, but without common ground on the track.

"Only one 60213" is the over-simplified version of the message.

OTOH you can only have one CS3 in the layout because of wiring limitations.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#159 Posted : 16 February 2016 19:18:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Up to 12 locos can be run in parallel in the CS3.

6 pages about CS3 in the Marklin Magazin 1/2016 page 16-21, Also MAR Decoder programmes page 30-35.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#160 Posted : 18 February 2016 22:19:40(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Up to 12 locos can be run in parallel in the CS3.

6 pages about CS3 in the Marklin Magazin 1/2016 page 16-21, Also MAR Decoder programmes page 30-35.

CS3 is not limited to 12 locos, but 12 can be controlled at the same time on the touch screen.

K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline river6109  
#161 Posted : 19 February 2016 02:35:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
If I was to have a CSX, then I'd prefer to have it interfaced with and controlled by a PC/MAC.

The current display which many commented on here, would not then be an issue, also a lot of the processing could be done by the computer and the CSX could then be dedicated to seeing and receiving data from the layout, locomotives, sensors etc..

The power of the CSX processor would then be less of an issue.

If Märklin brings out the CS3 in 2016 will Ecos be doing something similar?

ESU is always tied lipped about new products but I hope we are not seeing a repeat of repeats with command stations. I think it has gone to ridiculous stage now with 31 or 32 functions.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline xxup  
#162 Posted : 19 February 2016 06:48:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
...I think it has gone to ridiculous stage now with 31 or 32 functions...

I must admit, I have been struggling to think of 32 things to do in a loco - especially a steamer.. A railcar may present more opportunity, but to be useful the symbols on the CS3 have to me more meaningful than images of light bulbs and speakers. I doubt I could remember the correct function without reference to a guide of some kind and when you have four or five of them running on a layout it would be nearly impossible to keep track of the functions - as they are rarely assigned to the same button (e.g. F7). Even the old standard of F4 for Accel/Decl delay has gone out the window with the newer releases..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#163 Posted : 19 February 2016 08:12:39(UTC)
H0

I think it has gone to ridiculous stage now with 31 or 32 functions.
From a technical point of view, the Märklin way is ridiculous: first generation MM was limited to 1 function, second generation MM had 5 functions, first generation mfx was limited to 16 functions, second generation now gets 32 functions.

DCC supports 32000+ functions per loco address for many years now. Many DCC controllers are limited to 29 functions and I think most users do not need more than 29 functions.

CS2 has a GUI that is limited to 16 functions even for DCC locos.

Long story short: I think ESU can expand their ECoS to support 32 functions per loco without replacing the hardware.
My Central Station once was limited to 16 functions and MM/mfx. Now it supports 29 functions and MM/DCC/SX/mfx and they also added gadgets like a VNC server.

The old ECoS hardware with the ripened and optimized software gives a fast and fluent user experience - faster and more fluent than the CS2 ever was.
Rumours say the CS2 hardware is much more powerful than the ECoS hardware.

Now Märklin comes with a new, more powerful controller with incompatible hardware and fresh new software.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#164 Posted : 19 February 2016 08:31:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

It got ridiculous when when had 16 functions..................I don't have that many fingers to control them all!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#165 Posted : 19 February 2016 10:50:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

It got ridiculous when when had 16 functions..................I don't have that many fingers to control them all!

I agree, some of the things they have thought up to make use of the available functions are crazy.

However I suspect a fair number of the higher function numbers will be dedicated to mfx+ use the way mfx+ already reserves a function for its use. This may make proper coasting and braking operations possible without relying on just turning down the throttle at the correct time.

Now consider what would happen if you pass a signal at danger and automatic train brakes are put on to prevent an accident like Bad Aibling. I can see new features being introduced to make this sort of thing possible, with feedback using mfx detection so the controller knows which loco has passed the signal and can carry out the emergency action.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#166 Posted : 20 February 2016 01:27:51(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
If I was to have a CSX, then I'd prefer to have it interfaced with and controlled by a PC/MAC.

The current display which many commented on here, would not then be an issue, also a lot of the processing could be done by the computer and the CSX could then be dedicated to seeing and receiving data from the layout, locomotives, sensors etc..

The power of the CSX processor would then be less of an issue.

If Märklin brings out the CS3 in 2016 will Ecos be doing something similar?

ESU is always tied lipped about new products but I hope we are not seeing a repeat of repeats with command stations. I think it has gone to ridiculous stage now with 31 or 32 functions.

John

The Ecos II has had the capability to have 32 Functions for some years now, as have all the ESU V4 decoders.
I just updated my M37780 ICEIII which has a V4M4 decoder to the latest ESU sound project and there are about 24 or 26 functions, but sadly no Long Distance headlights Confused
Anyway to make it work on my CS1-R (16 Functions) I did not include the rail clack, the pantograph raise and lower noise, I put two of the four station announcements on one function that fires one in ahead and the other in reverse, and the rail squeal noise, only works in shunting mode, so we got all the desirable ones including the "Sifa" which if you activate that function and do not head the warnings, and turn the function off, the train eventually stops ! New video will be made sometime soonish, and posted in "My trains" thread.

Sorry for going off topic a bit Blushing
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#167 Posted : 20 February 2016 07:42:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
The Ecos II has had the capability to have 32 Functions for some years now, as have all the ESU V4 decoders. [...]
Anyway to make it work on my CS1-R (16 Functions) [...]
ECoS is limited to 29 functions (not 32), same for current ESU decoders (fewer functions with earlier generations). CS1R also has 29 functions.

CS2 also supports 29 functions for DCC locos - through the API only, not from the GUI.

For only €30 I could upgrade my old Intellibox to support 9999 functions per loco. So many functions with such old and limited hardware ...
Owners of Intellibox IR got the 9999 functions as a free upgrade.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#168 Posted : 20 February 2016 10:14:56(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

M* CS software upgrades are for free and you don't need to pay 29 euros. Those M* upgrades don't have the 9999 functions but have other functionalities, some bug corrections, some new bugs and lots of text in German language for an improved Google translation practice.

Uhlembrock is also very good in improving Google translation practice when browsing their site.

MTH uses lots of functions in their locos, so I suggest a reading of one of their loco manuals. They also use advanced copy paste technics to build manuals, so they reuse intellectual capital. This means means that we maybe reading a manual of a passeneger train loco and the manual is for a freight loco. Despite this the functions use is all there.

In my opinion it is better to have capability to control more functions even if for now we don't use them. In the future other needs will come for sure and they will be useful.

Relative to the CS3 I would like it to support Railcom+ (I don't know if the HW can handle it) despite at the moment I don't need it and I also would like an easier thing that is all menus and text in English or Portuguese. In German it is of little and combersome use.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline mbarreto  
#169 Posted : 20 February 2016 11:12:41(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Below are the functions assignement of the MTH S3/6 from F0 to F28:

Headlight
Bell
Horn
Start-Up/Shut Down
PFA
Lights
Master Volume
Front Coupler (Sound Only)
Rear Coupler (Sound Only)
Forward Signal
Reverse Signal
Grade Crossing
Smoke Volume On/Off
Smoke Volume
Idle Sequence 3
Idle Sequence 2
Idle Sequence 1
Extended Start-Up
Extended Shut Down
Train Marker
Train Operation
One Shot Doppler
Coupler Slack
Coupler Close
Single Horn Blast
Engine Sounds
Brake Sounds On/Off
Cab Chatter On/Off
Feature Reset

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline H0  
#170 Posted : 20 February 2016 12:07:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
M* CS software upgrades are for free and you don't need to pay 29 euros.
Märklin had planned to charge 60213 owners for the DCC upgrade - but they gave this idea up.

Now the CS2 is out of production and maybe they will now charge for future CS2 upgrades ...

Some Intelliboxes get the upgrade for free - depends on the serial number. My Intellibox is too old and I think the upgrade is not worth the money.

But some "expert" wrote that the CS2 does not have enough memory to support 32 functions. My point was that the much older Intellibox has enough memory to support 9999 functions.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#171 Posted : 20 February 2016 12:27:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
....some "expert"...

LOL LOL BigGrin
Offline mbarreto  
#172 Posted : 20 February 2016 12:43:53(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

But some "expert" wrote that the CS2 does not have enough memory to support 32 functions. My point was that the much older Intellibox has enough memory to support 9999 functions.

I see BigGrin

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline NZMarklinist  
#173 Posted : 21 February 2016 04:40:35(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
The Ecos II has had the capability to have 32 Functions for some years now, as have all the ESU V4 decoders. [...]
Anyway to make it work on my CS1-R (16 Functions) [...]
ECoS is limited to 29 functions (not 32), same for current ESU decoders (fewer functions with earlier generations). CS1R also has 29 functions.

CS2 also supports 29 functions for DCC locos - through the API only, not from the GUI.

For only €30 I could upgrade my old Intellibox to support 9999 functions per loco. So many functions with such old and limited hardware ...
Owners of Intellibox IR got the 9999 functions as a free upgrade.

Well pardon my CS1-R still at v3.3.3, do the other columns of functions come with a later version ?

Also I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the extra columns of functions come in multiples of 8 ? (so why only 29 for Ecos ?)

However back to the CS3, I think support for 32 functions is a good feature, as so many new decoders, ESU V4 & MSD3 are coming out with a lot more than 16 Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline steventrain  
#174 Posted : 08 March 2016 16:51:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Both due for delivery from June 2016.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Sankch  
#175 Posted : 14 June 2016 08:25:39(UTC)
Sankch

Both due for delivery from June 2016.

Hi Steven,

If I refer to the pdf you posted (Märklin June delivery), both CS3 & CS3+ have been postponed to september (CS3+) and 4Q 16 (CS3).

Best regards

Sank
Offline H0  
#176 Posted : 14 June 2016 08:44:42(UTC)
H0

If I refer to the pdf you posted (Märklin June delivery), both CS3 & CS3+ have been postponed to september (CS3+) and 4Q 16 (CS3).
Correct.
So there is still some hope they might come this year. Wink

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#177 Posted : 14 June 2016 11:33:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
So there is still some hope they might come this year.

There's hope that Christmas will also come this year.........
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz