Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mascagni  
#151 Posted : 15 June 2008 20:53:48(UTC)
mascagni

Hi Frank: Thanks for the fix, it seems that I have two of the same Loks, and so I wanted to run them as a consist. I will look update and go to the LC forum.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline fvri  
#152 Posted : 20 June 2008 11:08:08(UTC)
fvri

Hi Michael,

Could you also tryout controlling this 'consist' with the PC control program 'SimpleDigitalLocomotive' of Mafi(Manfred and Christian Fisher) which is running on a Mac?

Normally they have tackled this MULTI decoder problem in their program (March 2008).

I have asked them if they know about the CS reboot problem when trying to control a train equipped with this kind of decoder.

In the meantime I'm preparing a version of LC that produces logging.

Have a nice weekend,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#153 Posted : 23 June 2008 19:13:27(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

As I got today a very friendly mail from a Marklin responsible in Holland(Netherlands), I will no longer give full support to the Central Station in LocCommander and certainly I will no longer promote the CS in LC.
Luckly ESU is in some way much smarter than Marklin.

Nev I must admit you are completely right about the M company.

Sorry Alessandro and Michael!

Best regards,
Frank
Offline dntower85  
#154 Posted : 23 June 2008 20:12:37(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Now there is one more reason never to buy a Central station, if I could get one in the first place. there loss
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline fvri  
#155 Posted : 24 June 2008 13:34:45(UTC)
fvri

Hi Darrin,

You have luck that I also have a M6021/6051 setup otherwise all M stuff would be banned from LC.wink

Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#156 Posted : 24 June 2008 13:45:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Frank, what was the problem with the email from Marklin Netherlands? Did they tell you to stop supporting the CS in LocCommander, or were they asking for some sort of royalty payment?

Bad news for those of us with a CS!
Offline fvri  
#157 Posted : 24 June 2008 14:11:01(UTC)
fvri

Hi David,

For me personally another sad story from Marklin and their policy....
Their clock should be set 5 minutes to tweelve[:I].

Now the story...

Michael who is using LC to control one of his consist (multi traction setup) has a serious problem. As I don't get any answers from Marklin Germany (probably because I don't write them in German[}:)]) I friendly asked for some support from Marklin Netherlands in Dutch.

But, I simply got a NO ('neen') because I also support in LC the ECoS from ESU.
As ESU and Marklin are no longer good friends the PC interface protocol will split up at some time in the near future. Because Marklin does not want to share this protocol with the big audience I will no longer be able to ensure that LC will properly work with the Central Station. As I myself don't have a CS I rely on the feedback from other CS users to support this device in LC.

My conclusion is to ban all M stuff from LC.

For time being I will not adapt my code to ban specific Marklin things. But, I will no longer mention it in as a supported digital system in documents and on my website.

I don't think it is a big loss... LC is not that important in this world of model rail road PC control, but it could stimulate further development and improvements for the CS. And there are a lot of other good products on the market that are more mature but not for free...

BTW I will start implementing the multi-layer stuff per table object as you requested some months ago wink.

Cheers,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#158 Posted : 24 June 2008 14:32:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Frank for that, I've got a gap in my LC layout plan where the bridges should be. LOL.

Marklin need a huge kick up the butt, so much for the perfect MRR company that never does any thing wrong!!

Maybe I will not be applying v2.0.5 of the CS firmware, whenever it comes out. Pity I sold my 6051 interface! I take it that you are not removing any existing CS support that is in LC?

BTW, I have an S88 decoder on order, so will soon be able to make use of the more advanced features of LC.
Offline fvri  
#159 Posted : 24 June 2008 15:01:09(UTC)
fvri

Hi David,

No panic! As long as the the PC interface protocol remains the same for both digital devices(CS/ECoS) LC can be used.
But when CS specific things are implemented which are not documented to the public I will no longer be able to support them.

Indeed the M6051/6021 is good, I think Darrin can confirm this. But each system has limitations. Definitely for the CS 'Marklin policy' is the limitation factor. Also their policy towards MFX and the ECoS I really don't understand. As I already have a loc M39802 not performing well with my ECoS I'm not longer eager to buy their new MFX equipped locs, although it is probably a decoder-motor problem.

Please also visit fvri.forumco.com to see all latest developments for LC. This forum is meant for the LC details....
This forum gets the big news!

When you start with the S88 (also consider the Viessmann devices[}:)]) you find a lot of documentation on this LC forum. Unfortunately the manual is no longer up to date, too much work.

After the summer holidays I would like to start with interactive automatic control... but this is big stuff. Also object management between LC and the digital systems should still improve.

But the layer stuff should be feasible for now...

Thanks for your ongoing interest in LC.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#160 Posted : 25 June 2008 12:33:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Frank. I like LC because I find it relatively easy to setup and have something running very quickly. I certainly appreciate your development efforts with LC. Yes, I did join the LC forum, pretty much the day you created the web page - Darrin and Frankie may have got there first, but I was about the 3rd to join. I'll certainly have another look for S88 information.

As far as the S88 goes, I did actually order the 5217 Viessmann decoder, as all my other solenoid decoders are the 5211 Viessmann ones.
Offline fvri  
#161 Posted : 25 June 2008 13:46:08(UTC)
fvri

Hi David,

I'm glad you enjoy using LC and are a member of the LC forum.
I think real fun for PC control can only start when S88's come in the game.

I know there are still some issues for improvement and shortcomings. The more feedback I can get the better I can make LC. When I'm implementing only my view on how model railroad PC control should work then it definitely will not be good enough for the big audience.

I love the LC project as it has different parts of interest to me for SW development: Gui, drawing, communication with hardware, AI and finally it controls my trains! It is much more than administrative software!

But, sometimes I'm still wondering what makes it hard to use LC?
What makes it difficult to use for a first time user who is not very familiar with the IT sector? [Setting up the communication between PC and CS/ECoS, installation, non intiutive GUI, operation modes?, stability, bugs, etc...]

I will keep the audience informed when the multi-layer feature is implemented and anyother ongoing feature implementation!

Cheers,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#162 Posted : 17 July 2008 22:54:42(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

I have released officially version 1.0.0.17 of LC.

<u>Major feature:</u> support for multiple layers in the grid area of LC.

From now on different levels of the layout can be defined in one table. The order of the levels can be changed as well as the visibility of each level in the grid layout.

For more info on this new feature in LC go to:
http://fvri.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~44.asp

For reporting bugs/features please also visit http://fvri.forumco.com

Cheers,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#163 Posted : 02 August 2008 13:47:36(UTC)
fvri

Hi,

Version 1.0.0.18 is ready for download...

Major feature implementation : Counter variable in the 'Actions and Conditions' definitions

See also:
http://fvri.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~51.asp

Cheers,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#164 Posted : 22 August 2008 01:47:29(UTC)
fvri

Hi,

Version 1.0.0.19 can be downloaded from : http://users.telenet.be/...ander/DownloadsPage.html

<u>Major features:</u>

- Added 'Test Mode' as a new operation mode. Makes it possible to test the
defined actions and conditions without operating the real layout.
- Playing sounds via the 'Actions and Conditions' definitions.
- Playing an alarm sound when the connection is broken with the digital system.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#165 Posted : 22 August 2008 02:08:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Frank.
Offline fvri  
#166 Posted : 25 August 2008 11:57:07(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

Anyone using LC on Windows XP system with Service Pack 3 without having issues?

Thanks.
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#167 Posted : 25 August 2008 12:10:22(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Frank, I thought I was SP3, but am still at SP2. I'll upgrade and let you know.
Offline fvri  
#168 Posted : 25 August 2008 12:25:31(UTC)
fvri

Hi David,

Thanks, but keep in mind that LC will no longer work.[:I]

Bill (wa6ld) gets an unhandle windows exception when trying to set the IP address in the Settings dialog.

I'm succesfully running LC on Windows XP SP 2 and Windows Vista SP1.

As I don't have any issues with Windows XP [for SP 2] I don't upgrade to Service Pack 3.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#169 Posted : 25 August 2008 12:30:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
OK, thanks for the heads up Frank. I have a virtual machine at SP2 which I can upgrade to SP3 to try it out. It would also be interesting to know whether the issues occur with a clean SP3 build or an upgraded from SP2 build, or both.
Offline fvri  
#170 Posted : 25 August 2008 12:44:37(UTC)
fvri

Sounds great the test work. Thanks!

Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#171 Posted : 25 August 2008 14:46:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hi Frank. I've just installed LC 1.0.0.19 on my SP3 upgraded Windows XP virtual machine. I was able to run LC, connect to the Central Station and import all the objects defined in the CS. I tried controlling some turnouts and a locomotive all of which worked without error. I did not experience any exception errors at all.
Offline fvri  
#172 Posted : 25 August 2008 15:00:12(UTC)
fvri

Hi David,

Many thanks! Unfortunately, it excludes a possible reason why it does not work on Bill's system but it does not solve it.[:I]

So, what he exactly did, was only setting the IP address in the Settings dialog (Communication settings).

See also the topic : http://fvri.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~72.asp

Anyhow thanks again for doing that fast these tests and giving feedback.wink

Maybe in someway the .NET Framework 2 installation on his system has gotten corrupted.

[BTW. I rebuilt LC under Visual Studio 2008 and no issues luckly...]

Best regards,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#173 Posted : 25 August 2008 19:08:06(UTC)
fvri

Hi Bill,

I think I have found the cause of your problem when running LC.

After searching on the net... it has probable to do with a 'Compatibility' flag that is wrongly set for the LC program.
Don't ask me how this could be but...

Bill what you should verify:

1. Right click on the LocCommander's desktop shortcut and select Properties.

UserPostedImage

2. Go to Compatibility tabpage and verify checkbox.

UserPostedImage

I cross my fingers...wink

Frank
Offline fvri  
#174 Posted : 26 August 2008 00:45:58(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

So Bill's problem was indeed this Windows version 'Compabtibility' issue.

For some reason I don't know why this 'Compabtibility' check is set and LC will not work properly. This is certainly not done by the LC installation program... another Windows mystery.Smile

Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#175 Posted : 26 August 2008 13:11:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Glad I could help Frank (in a small way)!!
Offline fvri  
#176 Posted : 26 August 2008 13:14:18(UTC)
fvri

Hi Dave,

Any help and feedback is always very welcome (especially when developing on Windows...[}:)]).

I really don't have an explanation why this 'Compatibility' check was set.

Thanks again for doing these tests!Smile

Frank
Offline fvri  
#177 Posted : 06 September 2008 18:36:13(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

Updated version of 1.0.0.19 is available for download.

- Bug fix for program crash when fetching object data in LC when a turntable object is defined in the digital system.
- Support now also for DCC, LGB and Selectrix decoder types (only for ESU ECoS digital system) next to the range of MM decoder types.

Enjoy LocCommander!

Best regards,
Frank
Offline fvri  
#178 Posted : 15 September 2008 01:48:33(UTC)
fvri

Hi,

I have uploaded version 1.0.0.20.

Minor bug fixes and improvements to the Actions and Conditions dialog (use of expression for conditions/rules).

Cheers,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#179 Posted : 15 September 2008 14:49:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Thanks Frank, I shall be trying this version out. I've had some problems with 1.0.0.19 (using the CS) with Actions and Conditions, where the software will trigger the first action in the list, but not the second or subsequent actions. Everything works fine on the layout if I set up the automated routes via the CS.
Offline fvri  
#180 Posted : 15 September 2008 15:23:53(UTC)
fvri

Hi Dave,

Normally when no conditions are defined (global or per single action) the program should execute the set of actions.

I'm interested in your problem with the actions. Could you please send me your .lo file? Unless the problem would be solved in 1.0.0.20.wink

BTW. I did not yet adapted the documentation regarding the changes I made for the 'Actions and Conditions' dialog.[:I]

Important to know that you should now select between Global and Single to define or see the conditions.
So you can define global conditions that will be applied on all the actions or just per action one or more conditions. And a combination of both.

The system will first check the global conditions/rules. Only when they are fullfilled it will check per action the condition(s).

Further now you can set an expression of conditions.
By default all conditions are in a chain of and operators.

Example: C1 && C2 && C3.
Thus, if one of the conditions is false the action(s) will not be executed. All three conditions need to be true.

<u>Now you can specify an expression like: </u>
(C1 || C2) && C3. This means if C1 or C2 is true and C3 is true the actions will be executed.

&& equals AND and || equals the OR operator.

Again the scope is 'global' and or 'single'. Thus a lot of possibilities.

Also important to know in this version NO syntax checking parsing is performed.

So the rule is that each condition is defined as Cn with n the row number of the condition in the condition table (starting from 1).

From 16/09 until 23/09/2008 I will be on leave and will have limited or none internet access.[:I]

I hope your problems are solved in version 1.0.0.20.wink

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#181 Posted : 15 September 2008 15:29:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Cheers Frank thanks for that! It's 11:30pm here, so I won't be testing this tonight. Hopefully I can have a test in the next few days or so, I'm not in any hurry (still waiting for some more reed switches to arrive - boy, are those things fragile!).

Enjoy your holiday Frank, no doubt it is well earned!
Offline fvri  
#182 Posted : 15 September 2008 19:31:00(UTC)
fvri

Ok thanks Dave, I will certainly enjoy my trip to Istanbul.

BTW. I'm using a lot of contact rails (instead of reed relais) easy to make yourself when using Marklin's C-rails.

On the fvri.forumco.com you can find a lot of info regarding the Actions and Conditions concept in LC. The manual will be soon updated regarding the changes made in the Actions and Conditions dialog.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Tivvy  
#183 Posted : 16 September 2008 08:26:17(UTC)
Tivvy

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />Cheers Frank thanks for that! It's 11:30pm here, so I won't be testing this tonight. Hopefully I can have a test in the next few days or so, I'm not in any hurry (still waiting for some more reed switches to arrive - boy, are those things fragile!).

Enjoy your holiday Frank, no doubt it is well earned!

Your local Dick Smith / Jaycar or equivelant over the ocean should stock them at about a tenth of the price of M* (or equivelenant train company) ones.wink
Best thing about that is that you will be able to pick them up in days instead of weeks winkSmile
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#184 Posted : 16 September 2008 12:02:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Tivvy, my package from Jaycar just arrived today with some more reed switches. DSE don't have the normally open switches, Jaycar do. The nearest Jaycar to where I live is about 25kms away, and I couldn't be bothered taking the car to work, so I could take a trip to Jaycar at lunchtime. So I ordered online, and the switches were sent from Auckland.

Yes you are right about the cost of the M* switches. One of the ebay dealers had the Viessmann switches at about 7.50 euro (approx $16 NZ). The reed switches from Jaycar were $1.60 each!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#185 Posted : 16 September 2008 12:07:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by fvri
<br />Ok thanks Dave, I will certainly enjoy my trip to Istanbul.

BTW. I'm using a lot of contact rails (instead of reed relais) easy to make yourself when using Marklin's C-rails.

On the fvri.forumco.com you can find a lot of info regarding the Actions and Conditions concept in LC. The manual will be soon updated regarding the changes made in the Actions and Conditions dialog.

Best regards,
Frank

Frank, I'm using reed switches because I need to be sure that trains have cleared particular points before they get activated. Hence the last car on the train carries a magnet. I am putting some contact pieces in, in case I want to use them later, but I don't quite have enough of them for all the areas that need them - my layout is all M Track.
Offline fvri  
#186 Posted : 25 September 2008 11:35:28(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

Should LC become CS-II compatible?

I wonder how much the PC Interface protocol will be different from the one used for the CSI and ECoS.
Normally, no big deal to adapt/to integrate but I don't see me buying an 'other' new digital controller from &gt;500 euro.

Cheers,
Frank
Offline mascagni  
#187 Posted : 30 September 2008 16:06:28(UTC)
mascagni

Frank: It appears that ESU is going to provide an upgrade (3.0.0) to the CS that will make it functionally the same as the ESU ECOS. This is interesting, and may make your life with LocCommander much easier. It also seems that ESU will then take over support of the CS after the upgrade, which is expected to cost €149.00. If you haven't already, look here: http://www.esu.eu/fileadmin/dow...on_Reloaded_ESUKG_DE.pdf

Heck, this seems to be potentially better than my IB!!--MM
Offline fvri  
#188 Posted : 30 September 2008 17:31:46(UTC)
fvri

Hi Michael,

Yes, indeed some very good news for the ECoS and CS-I users!

I'm just wondering if the PC Interface protocol will change for the CS-II. Otherwise I could reuse the existing if then statements in LocCommander but adapt them for usage of the CS-II.wink

BTW. on the ECoS webpage they are promoting openly the ControlGui (Freeware) Software of C. Rommel. Very strange attitude for a commercial company having links with commerial software vendors for MRR software.

Best regards,
Frank

Offline dntower85  
#189 Posted : 30 September 2008 18:03:37(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
too may choices I'm going to have to put pictures of each controller up on a wall, put a blind fold on and through a dart.
DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline fvri  
#190 Posted : 30 September 2008 18:11:50(UTC)
fvri

Hi Darrin,

Keep it simple just keep to the thing that is working already.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline mascagni  
#191 Posted : 30 September 2008 19:02:44(UTC)
mascagni

All: I think this is good news, as when we bought our CS (mine came in a start set), I didn't think I was also essentially buying an ECOS!! I have DCC trains, so this will be quite a win, and makes this upgrade path superior to a CS2!!--MM
Offline fvri  
#192 Posted : 30 September 2008 19:40:37(UTC)
fvri

Yeah, evolution and improvements can't (and shouldn't be) be stopped. Only upgrade when the added value is it worthy.wink

I will try to keep up with LC as much as possible but I will not buy myself new digital systems just to make LC compatible with these new systems.

Cheers,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#193 Posted : 01 October 2008 09:27:42(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mascagni
<br />..... and makes this upgrade path superior to a CS2!!--MM

That's the feeling I'm getting!
Offline fvri  
#194 Posted : 20 October 2008 23:24:11(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

As the PC Interface protocol(version 0.1) doesn't full support implementing shuttle trains as defined in ECoS/CS-I, this functionality can easily be defined by the user in LC via the 'Actions and Conditions' concept.

If interested you can see the topic : http://fvri.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~103.asp

Best regards,
Frank
Offline frankie  
#195 Posted : 22 October 2008 19:05:49(UTC)
frankie

I just wanted to show you what can be done with LC, video and shooting it's not my best, but it gives you an idea:http://web.tiscali.it/frankye/LC.wmv
Any suggestion is warmly welcome.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline dntower85  
#196 Posted : 22 October 2008 22:11:50(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Excellent Alessandro!!!

took a little while to down load but worth the wait. Did you use routs or actions and conditions to define the layout?

This shows what I like about computer control... A well thought out small layout with lots of trains can be more interesting than a large layout with one or two trains just running in big loops.biggrin
DT
Offline frankie  
#197 Posted : 23 October 2008 00:54:33(UTC)
frankie

Lots of actions and both type of conditions, because I am using contact tracks, what I should try now is to swap the Cargo sprinter with the short commuter, it takes too long for the first one to get back to the original position.
I agree, a small layout with lot of action it's probably where you get the most out of computer control.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline fvri  
#198 Posted : 23 October 2008 01:30:59(UTC)
fvri

Very nice Alessandro!! But, I was just wondering if a slowing down block is used when the signal is set to red? Anyhow a lot of train traffic on a 'relative' small layout. Very interesting layout. I hope your club friends will be convinced now to use computer control for the modular layout.

Thanks,
Ciao,
Frank

wink
Offline frankie  
#199 Posted : 23 October 2008 11:53:18(UTC)
frankie

Thanks to Darrin I am uploading a smaller and brighter version of the movie, if size refrained you to watch it.
Regarding the slow down ahead of the signal this is something I need to work with, because I have to compromise between the loco that slows and make sure that it clears the switch, it's going to be a matter of delaying the action to happen and may be have the switch thrown by another action, instead of the one that stops the train.
May be using a route I can increase the timing between each action... I have to work on it!
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!
Offline frankie  
#200 Posted : 23 October 2008 12:00:36(UTC)
frankie

BTW everything is done with just one s88 module and I still have a 3/4 ports free.
Alessandro
I have a CS1 Reloaded!