Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2016 21:17:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So I'm looking at some older cars to add to my collection, and as I'm needing to be able to couple up the cars to my Märklin cars, I'm wondering if it possible to convert this Fleischman car to a Märklin coupling.

Fleischmann car's coupling

It looks like the coupling is pinned to the car, not in a NEM socket. Am I seeing that correctly?
If so, it wont be simple to just unplug the Fleischmann coupler and install a Märklin coupler.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline amartinezv  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2016 22:00:15(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello
I think that Fleischmann sells some marklin (M) style couplers to install in Fleischmann cars, but I am not sure. Take a look to the fleischmann catalog.

best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2016 22:07:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
If so, it wont be simple to just unplug the Fleischmann coupler and install a Märklin coupler.
That's the Fleischmann Profi coupler. It is also available for NEM pockets, so you can make a Märklin loco/car with a Fleischmann coupler as adapter.
Fleischmann offers various couplers with such a pin, including loop and hook couplers. I'm not sure if there is a NEM pocket with such a pin.

I replaced such a pin coupler on a Fleischmann loco. I'd leave the Profi coupler on the freight car and make an adapter car. An empty flat car or gondola will do - and will be prototypically correct IMHO.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2016 22:43:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I'd leave the Profi coupler on the freight car and make an adapter car. An empty flat car or gondola will do - and will be prototypically correct IMHO.

Good idea, only issue I have with that approach is it gets in the way of my switching yard plans, as I'll not be able to arrange my cars in any order I want; it will effectively make this already long car even longer, with dedicated cars on each end. I'd really like to have this car be independent to be placed any where in a freight train arrangement as part of the "pick these up and drop them off at the following stations" sort of game.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2016 22:49:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello
I think that Fleischmann sells some marklin (M) style couplers to install in Fleischmann cars, but I am not sure. Take a look to the fleischmann catalog.

best regards

Indeed, it appears that this coupling from Fleischmann may be the answer, if I understand things right...

6523 - Exchange coupling with rivet and slot fitting
UserPostedImage

given that the car seems to have the 6516 Profi from the factory.
UserPostedImage

Does anyone have experience with such changes to Fleischman cars, in terms of do the heights align, and the automatic uncoupling and on-track coupling work without a hitch?
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2016 23:00:49(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Looking at the photos of the link Martinez provided maybe 6524 will do... 6223 doesn't seem to fit so well.
Maybe someone here already have the experience and can give some more light on this.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2016 23:31:39(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Thomas,

You are correct, the 6523 is what you need.
I have many of these old Fleischmann models, and I routinely replace couplings.

One thing you may find helpful, is that the buffers will unscrew, and you will be able to remove the entire coupler plate (pressed steel).
This can make it easier to install the coupling.
Also, please note the small spring (either wire or blade) which is located in the cast body of the wagon, which acts as a coupler centering device.
The coupler moulding has a flat back on it for this purpose.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
xxupMinokH0