Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline siroljuk  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2016 16:46:26(UTC)
siroljuk

Finland   
Hello everyone!

I have bumped one difficult problem. Blushing

When you make complete maintenance to locomotive you have to disassemble tho whole thing from top to bottom. This is no problem if there is suitable tools available.
But . . . when you start to put the wholeness together and assemble wheels to the locomotive with all kind of connecting rods, HOW DO YOU ADJUST THEM especially at the site where all gear wheels are?

I know that many of you have done these complete services but I did not find good presentation from this forum. I have to say that it is difficult to make good searches so I hope someone can help here.

I have about 20 very old locomotives which I would like to clean also wheels and axles. By cleaning them perfectly it causes good contact to tracks.

I wish you all Happy Training

Regards
Jukka
Offline sgtb  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2016 17:52:11(UTC)
sgtb

United States   
Hi Jukka,
I have about 11 locs that were bought on e bay from around the 80's that were in bad shape. Now that I have gone digital the first thing I do is pull the motor out and check the gears and axles. I'm a heavy truck mechanic so when checking gears I just look for backlash, gear climbing or worn teeth. If the gear train is stuck from the old oil just soak it with WD-40, some use lighter fluid, for a day or so. Clean and re lube with new oil when everything is free.

I have found that this is as far as I have to go before updating to the new motor, if you don't have to pull gears or axles don't.

Hope this helps.BigGrin
Bob
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by sgtb