Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chrisdc  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2016 21:00:09(UTC)
chrisdc

United States   
Hi all,

Some quick background, I've recently setup my Marklin Delta K-Track layout that has sat in storage for over 15 years in my parents garage up in my basement. I'm currently "rebuilding" the existing layout (about 4.5ft by 6ft) with plans to build a larger new one from scratch in the coming years. I'm trying to get up to speed on Digital and I've ordered the parts to retrofit one of my locs as a starting point and now I'm looking to put together a simple digital test track to learn about all the features, decoders etc before building a full new layout.

Here is my question: Which Digital controller do you recommend as an entry point? Assuming I'll have 5 to 10 locs, that I'm converting from analog and Delta, and a track that'll have 10 to 15 switches. Do I get a CS2/3 (seems like overkill even if I build a full layout), a Mobile Station 2, or one of the older 6021/22 style controllers?

Thank you for your recommendations and any resources. I realize this is a pretty opened ended question.

-C
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2016 21:37:42(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Chris,

If you can wait until the new CS 3 hits the market I would go for a second hand CS 2 who should then drop in price.

The present MS2 is pretty basic, but if you just need a controller to adjust the loco speed with and few basic function, it should do.

If you have a double main line, running one or more trains at the same time and can see you self eventually playing around with some automation, then you should go for a CS.
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline chrisdc  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2016 21:47:33(UTC)
chrisdc

United States   
Thank you for the quick reply.

Do you think it makes sense if I get one of those old 602X controllers for my test bench (so I can work on digital conversions) and then pickup a CS2 once I'm building the full layout?

Those old controllers will still work with the newest Marklin brand digital decoders, right?

-C
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2016 22:11:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: chrisdc Go to Quoted Post
Those old controllers will still work with the newest Marklin brand digital decoders, right?
Yes, but 6020 and 6022 will control a single function per loco only.

Some will tell you an MS2 is better than a CU 6021 - others will prefer the CU 6021 over the MS2.
An MS2 will give you more options if you buy non-Märklin locos. But even if you use Märklin decoders for the conversions, the MS2 will make changing decoder settings a bit easier.

BTW: Delta is digital. Delta locos will work with the new controllers without conversion. But they will run better after a conversion.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline chrisdc  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2016 23:13:36(UTC)
chrisdc

United States   
Thank you for your thoughts. I'll probably just see what I can most reasonably get on ebay to get started. I guess the other upside of the MS2 is I could just use it as a second controller when/if I get a CS. (I'm sorta partial in simple operations to the old setups where you could have dedicated circuits for particular tracks and the trains on them)

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
BTW: Delta is digital. Delta locos will work with the new controllers without conversion. But they will run better after a conversion.

Ah, good to know. I'll start by converting the analog (non-Delta) locos first then.

Offline amartinezv  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2016 23:46:44(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello
Delta system is a digital system in a basic mode, you should upgrade your analog locos to digital and then you can use with some restrictions with delta controllers.

But delta is very basic, so, I would recommend to look for 2nd hand systems, for example the IntelliBox, IB from uhlenbrock, it is a full controller that allows you get into digital even with PC with software controller. 6021 is also a good option, it you find one cheap.

Really I don't like the CS1, 2, and 3, I think the they are more to play with the CS instead of play with trains, only my opinion.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
Offline 3rail4life  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2016 00:46:29(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
chrisdc,

My experience with the MS2 has been overwhelmingly positive, I would not consider anything else for an entry level Märklin digital controller these days. My 6021's, control 80f and 6040 were all very nice, but they are long gone...

enjoy doing your conversions,

Gordon

Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2016 01:35:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Don't bother spending the money for a CSx (1, 2 or 3) for now; it's far too expensive.

The CSx may/not be a nice gadget (I do not have one and have no plans to get one), but it certainly is COMPLICATED and intended for a VERY senior train modeller, not for a beginner or intermediate user.

I use an MS1, which does most, if not all, that an MS2 does, but does not control turnouts (switches). It's dirty cheap on E bay and does the job.

Once you play with it for a year or more, then you will know what you REALLY want to do when you "grow up" and then AND ONLY THEN you will be ready to spend the money for something that will meet your needs, maybe even a CS3.

My two cents' worth.

BigGrin
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2016 06:10:31(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: chrisdc Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

Some quick background, I've recently setup my Marklin Delta K-Track layout that has sat in storage for over 15 years in my parents garage up in my basement. I'm currently "rebuilding" the existing layout (about 4.5ft by 6ft) with plans to build a larger new one from scratch in the coming years. I'm trying to get up to speed on Digital and I've ordered the parts to retrofit one of my locs as a starting point and now I'm looking to put together a simple digital test track to learn about all the features, decoders etc before building a full new layout.

Here is my question: Which Digital controller do you recommend as an entry point? Assuming I'll have 5 to 10 locs, that I'm converting from analog and Delta, and a track that'll have 10 to 15 switches. Do I get a CS2/3 (seems like overkill even if I build a full layout), a Mobile Station 2, or one of the older 6021/22 style controllers?

Thank you for your recommendations and any resources. I realize this is a pretty opened ended question.

-C

I would try to get one MS2 black,to learn digital basic.(If you get this one,make sure the latest version is at 2.5!)
It´s more easier than CS3.
If you shall convert analog to digital with yours locomotives,i would recommend ESU decoder.
Try with ESU latest version 4.
Choice M4!
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2016 08:04:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Really I don't like the CS1, 2, and 3, I think the they are more to play with the CS instead of play with trains, only my opinion.
I have Intellibox and Central Station 1.
Back when CS was limited to mfx and MM, I used the CS only for programming mfx locos and used the IB to operate the layout.
But since the CS learned DCC (CS1 reloaded), I use the CS for the layout and use the Intellibox only to program DCC locos.

With any Central Station you have many different symbols for the function keys. I think it's the same with Intellibox II, but the screen is much smaller. No symbols with Intellibox or 602x.
When you have many locos with many functions, then a controller with a graphical display will have advantages.

Central Stations 1 and 2 have physical keys for the functions, so you can keep your fingers on the keys and the eyes on the train.
No more physical keys with CS3, so it will require more attention from your eyes. Just my opinion - Märklin say the CS3 is much better.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline chrisdc  
#11 Posted : 16 February 2016 04:00:25(UTC)
chrisdc

United States   
Thank you everyone for your advice. I ended up ordering a MS2, enough track for a separate digital test loop, ESU decoder and the motor parts I need to convert one of my analog locs. I'm sure I'll be looping back as I start working on this.

-C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by chrisdc
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 16 February 2016 04:19:17(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Ho: Märklin say the CS3 is much better.

Are you surprised? LOL
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 16 February 2016 11:15:35(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes, and the CS4 will be better than the CS3, and so it will go on for every subsequent CSx.

You never hear Ford say that this year's Mondeo is worse than last years, likewise Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Peugeot, BMW, Mercedes, et all.

Why would Mother M be any different?
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 16 February 2016 12:35:35(UTC)
H0

CS3 is better because it has no more buttons, the 2016 New Items brochure is better because there are fewer new items and sales will explode.

Apple showed the way with the MacBook Wheel:
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#15 Posted : 16 February 2016 13:11:48(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
You will just need a headset and not a keyboard to control the trains :) Much like the control of the BB8 you can see in the movie below.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 16 February 2016 23:29:45(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Yes, and the CS4 will be better than the CS3, and so it will go on for every subsequent CSx.

You never hear Ford say that this year's Mondeo is worse than last years, likewise Audi, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar, Peugeot, BMW, Mercedes, et all.

Why would Mother M be any different?

Yep, like Apples "This iPhone is the BEST iPhone ever" (in the english accent jonny ive voice)
or like Porsche's "This is the best 911 ever..." (in referring to the latest 9xx incantation)

Products are always designed to be better than their predecessors. No manufacture decides, "Hey, lets make the new version worse than the current version". They may mis-step on how the market judges their design choices and implementation. I'm a 'hard buttons' traditionalist - and am going to wait and wait and wait to see if the "no hard buttons CS3" ends up being good or bad.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134