Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline muddmover  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2016 22:42:51(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Hello all,

I am currently trying to set up my system to work with JMRI, so I can control my trains from my laptop. I have over 40 locomotives, and I don't really want to have to manually create a roster entry for every train. Does anyone know of a way I can export the train info from the CS2 directly to JMRI?

Thanks in advance,

-Jonas
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2016 13:30:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jonas,
I believe there is not.
I am using Rocrail and I had to re-enter all loc details (address, functions, picture, etc.).
Most importantly all speed values have to be created to have a smooth circulation of trains.
Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2016 18:05:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: muddmover Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I am currently trying to set up my system to work with JMRI, so I can control my trains from my laptop. I have over 40 locomotives, and I don't really want to have to manually create a roster entry for every train. Does anyone know of a way I can export the train info from the CS2 directly to JMRI?

Thanks in advance,

-Jonas

Can JMRI actually communicate with a cs2?

I was under the impression that no work had been done on this, the only work I know of was for eCos/cs1.

It may be that it will work as a cs1 but I haven't tried it.

Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2016 18:33:48(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
In talking with a local JMRI user who is rather expert and has contributed to this project, work has been done with the CS2 but when Marklin adjusted the CS2 CAN protocol, things ground to a halt as the protocol is more difficult to work with. This also affected TouchCab.

Remember that JMRI is an open source program that has many people contributing to the project.

It comes down to someone knowing how to program and familiar with the CAN protocol and is willing to figure out how CS2 can communicate with JMRI....and do it all for free....

If you want to do this, contact the folks at JMRI and they will show you the ropes. Marklin may assist if you provide targeted questions but it is not in their primary interest to work on this project.

Besides, they just rolled out the CS3 with a new interface and I hope that they get the new interface to work with my CS2.

I'd rather have the new interface than my CS2 communicating with JMRI.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2016 15:03:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
In talking with a local JMRI user who is rather expert and has contributed to this project, work has been done with the CS2 but when Marklin adjusted the CS2 CAN protocol, things ground to a halt as the protocol is more difficult to work with. This also affected TouchCab.

Remember that JMRI is an open source program that has many people contributing to the project.

It comes down to someone knowing how to program and familiar with the CAN protocol and is willing to figure out how CS2 can communicate with JMRI....and do it all for free....

If you want to do this, contact the folks at JMRI and they will show you the ropes. Marklin may assist if you provide targeted questions but it is not in their primary interest to work on this project.

Besides, they just rolled out the CS3 with a new interface and I hope that they get the new interface to work with my CS2.

I'd rather have the new interface than my CS2 communicating with JMRI.

I am on the JMRI Yahoo list, and have used JMRI with an original Intellibox. I didn't realize that so much work had been done with the cs2. I know a lot of the original work with the cs1/ecos occurred after I supplied an English translation of the ESU interface manual. I suspect what the cs2 needs isd an English translation of Marklins CAN protocol manual.

I believe the cs3 interface will be very similar to the cs2, as it will be developed from the cs2 code, and they will keep largely compatible code until the cs2 has problems with code space.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline muddmover  
#6 Posted : 20 February 2016 21:50:57(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Thank you everyone for the response. I was unable to post until now, because I've been out of town all week. For those wondering, I am able to control everything on my CS2 from JMRI, including trains, signals, switches, turn tables and receive S88 outputs. From what I gather, there is no easy way to export the trains as of yet. What I may do is snoop around the backups of my CS2 backups and see if there is a roster in there from the CS2, which could then be imported somehow over to JMRI. I will post updates if I find anything.
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 20 February 2016 22:02:32(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I believe the cs3 interface will be very similar to the cs2

Above all - they will stick with the CAN bus for device communication, which is good.
But the CAN-bus is just the carrier and every manufacturer can have their own "commands/protocol",
as is common in the CAR industry with "OBD" so they can sell custom equipment to their brand workshops...

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2016 22:34:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I believe the cs3 interface will be very similar to the cs2

Above all - they will stick with the CAN bus for device communication, which is good.
But the CAN-bus is just the carrier and every manufacturer can have their own "commands/protocol",
as is common in the CAR industry with "OBD" so they can sell custom equipment to their brand workshops...

I was thinking more of the software interface then the CAN interface. The CAN interface is a given from the product information, and much of the software interface has to be the same as it needs to be backward compatible.

But I believe other aspects of the software interface, such as to PC software, will be the same as the cs2, as it is most likely a further development of the cs2 software. There will be some expansion of the interface to handle new features, but that is to be expected.

And despite the different memory sizes I expect the cs2 to have many of the same upgrades, as far as the hardware can handle, such as the way the cs3 function bars slide off the side of the screen until you want to access them. Probably won't get the 'track plan' screen as the main default one, or the 12 bar speed controls that have been shown the cs3 will have, but I am sure that many of the minor additional features will make it into the cs2.