Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2016 23:39:48(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Marklinists.

I would like to know advice on how to attach a lead/tin(?) piece to the driveshaft of the Buhler motor for a Liliput BR 18.

I am concerned with the damaging the soft metal of the piece (what would call this piece??)
And the driveshaft seems to be too hard to make grooves (forgetting the term that starts with K here).
I had to clip off a piece of the driveshaft of the motor.
(The motor I was able to order from Lemo-Solar in Germany for 9 Euros.)

The first time I attached it by friction fit and re-installed the motor it ran fine as a test in hand, not on rails.
Then I tried again and I got slippage. I would imagine that using super-glue would also only hold for a short time.
Would squeezing the piece slightly work? Again concerned with making the piece weak.
If the best way to do this is to make grooves in the driveshaft, what is the best/simplest way to do so?

Any help or suggestions are welcome.
- Mark

IMG_0902.JPG
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2016 02:19:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
superglue = hold for a short time ? I've done many shaft = slip wheels on locos and they are fine now. I use about 2 tubes of superglue a week for my model railway, around the house, the car and the list goes on. I think this is why they call it super glue.

so long the surface is clean you shouldn't have any problems, the other important issue is you have to place it in the right spot right from the beginning because within seconds you will not be able to move it again. had locos with drive shafts slipping, O-buses from Brawa

good luck.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Hoffmann  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2016 03:00:06(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hello Mark,

Go to your local Industrial Supplier and purchase ---LOCTITE SUPER GLUE--- make sure the shaft as well as the coupling are free of oil etc.

REgards Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2016 04:16:04(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Which kind of Loctite do you recommend?
There is a long list of varieties.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/where-to-buy.shtml

- Mark

Offline Roberto Romano  
#5 Posted : 11 February 2016 06:00:57(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hi Mark,

I agree with John about using super glue. I have used it in the first gear drive of Fleischmann locomotive motors that get loose after long use. If you are concerned with slippage because of severe torque you might rough the shaft with rough sandpaper or a fine file, although I dont think that is necessary. Place the small part in the shaft after thorough cleaning with alcohol of both parts and apply a small drop of superglue in the joint. You might try using the gel superglue, although, the low viscosity glue is better for tight joints. If the two parts become loose again, you can try the same procedure with a better superglue, like the one used to affix rear mirrors in cars. You can always remove old superglue and reattach the parts again without damaging both parts as many times as necesary.

Good luck,
Regards, Roberto
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roberto Romano
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2016 22:57:20(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks Roberto,

Thats exactly what I just did. I used a file on the shaft, slowly rotating it, and then used super glue, and have left it overnight for best bonding as indicated on the bottle. Seems to be holding well with liquid low viscous glue. Test will be when all reassembled and pulling some cars.

I did have slippage on marklin 3-pole motor when I tried super glue before. I am guessing it was also possible traces of oil at that time. And excess oil from previous owner that made it slip in the first place. I am not sure how well I cleaned it with alcohol before gluing at that time, so should I need to that again, I will try using the file on it every so gently.

Which is the kind of superglue used for rear view mirrors?

- Mark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline hgk  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2016 04:23:55(UTC)
hgk

Hi Mark,
Just in case the superglue fails you, Locktite 648 Green (also 609) is made for bushings etc. You can check reviews on amazon.com if you want more user info.
-George