Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2015 20:26:31(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Deleted.
Check it out on Youtube.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2015 21:11:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Deleted.
Check it out on Youtube.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2015 21:20:32(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
There's lots of technology-enabled things that get me excited about model railroads, including:
- video doors
- cranes that move
- wagons that play music or snore
- wagons that tell the speed or distance
- steamers that smoke
- condenser tenders with moving fans
- ICE trains with cameras

BUT

wipers that move is not one of them.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2015 22:09:39(UTC)
H0

Working wipers at the rear end of the train? I never saw that.
Bad video. According to the product description both wipers can be controlled separately.

Is there a Preiserling in the cab that needs clear sight?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Carim  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2015 23:07:02(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
So how are you going to model the rain? BigGrin LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2015 23:26:03(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Rain is easy - just move quickly around the layout with a watering can.. LOL

Fixing the electrical problems afterward - now that is hard.. BigGrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Tdl  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2015 15:01:20(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
All,

the Alstom TGV types PBA and PBKA under DC power (1500 or 3000 V) overhead line require that on each end the pantograph is up. Under AC power (15 or 25 kV) however it is sufficient that only one pantograph is up. The technical reason is that the cable on the roof that distributes the overhead power to the engine cars at each end of the trainset is not dimensioned for the amperes that are used under DC.

Under AC overhead line the trainset normally runs with the pantograph on the engine car at the rear the trainset up. Hence a useful function for this model would be pantographs that can raised and lowered. In my view this makes more sense that a functional windscreen wiper.

When the mechanism to make all 4 pantographs movable (raising / lowering) will not fit, then a good choice would be to make the pantographs for AC moveable, because most high speed routes have AC overhead power.

Regards, Willem
Offline sjlauritsen  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2015 20:47:01(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Personally, I can live without the video doors, as I think they take something away from the model when it is not under power. I would not be able to put the video-door-LINT on display.

This, on the other hand, is kind of neat. I also like the "disco coach" and the steamer with the shrinking coal load. All of them because the features adds something to the model when in use, and does not take something away from it when it is on display. Smile Nice job!
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2015 21:54:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Tdl Go to Quoted Post
Hence a useful function for this model would be pantographs that can raised and lowered.
Yes. But motorized pantographs have been made by Märklin, Roco, and ESU - maybe more.
The working windscreenwiper is a "world first" in H0 gauge AFAIK.

Søren, such technical features make the model more attractive for some - and too expensive for others.
Märklin have to try new gadgets like the display doors, but we don't have to buy it. At least not everything.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2015 23:29:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had a Corgi Mercedes limousine in the 1960s that had mechanically functional windshield wipers. What do you know? Somebody posted a video on YouTube:

I think that it is a cool feature, but they should have equipped such a model with decoder or settings that could allow the modeller to select Front and/or Rear wiper in operation.
It might have been cooler to take a TGV model and equip it with more details, like more cab details, LEDs for the door buttons and lights, etc.
It can be done. My LSM Gottardo has so many additional features that none of the Maerklin models have, for example, lighted destination signs, various cab lighting features. different interior lighting settings, etc.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline sjlauritsen  
#11 Posted : 01 December 2015 06:20:35(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Søren, such technical features make the model more attractive for some - and too expensive for others. Märklin have to try new gadgets like the display doors, but we don't have to buy it. At least not everything.

Yes of course, what made you think I was not aware of that?
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Shepard  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2016 22:24:01(UTC)
Shepard

United States   
Come on, guys...

Models with extra features are always more attractive. I remember back 50 years ago Lionel had a cattle car that could be set to vibrate and the cows would then "vibrate" onto a platform. Not as cool as them walking onto a platform, but good enough for the times.

The wiper at the end of the train is totally realistic. Remember that the TGV train does not turn around at the end of the track. It just moves in the opposite direction. There is no front or rear to the train. It just depends on the direction of travel.

Yes, each wiper is controlled independently, and also the wipers are dual rate. There is a control to change the rate of the wipers, that is, how frequently they wipe (instead of how fast they move).

It would be nice if they added motorized pantographs, as some have suggested, however I think that the Marklin 39579 is the only Marklin model ever produced to have this feature (I could be wrong). Even if I am wrong, this is not a common feature in Marklin locomotives with pantographs. I don't know why this feature is not more common. I have never had an issue with my 39579, so I don't know if it reliability. Perhaps it is cost.

There is another problem. The Marklin 37796 under discussion here already has 14 controllable functions. I think Central Station only supports 16, and Mobile Station less than that. You would need 4 function assignments to raise and lower just 2 pantographs (one on each locomotive). Implementing motorized pantographs would mean having to take out function, such as sound effects, that are a lot cheaper to implement.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2016 22:37:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Shepard Go to Quoted Post
I think that the Marklin 39579 is the only Marklin model ever produced to have this feature (I could be wrong).
You are wrong. There were a few with those piezo motors. And for current models they use different motors.

Originally Posted by: Shepard Go to Quoted Post
I think Central Station only supports 16, and Mobile Station less than that.
My Central Station supports 29 functions.
The MS2 supports 16 functions. The CS2 will soon be upgraded to 32 functions - IIRC Märklin announced something to that effect.
You only need two function keys to operate two pantographs.

Edited by user 13 February 2016 08:16:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2016 01:53:23(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think when I get my TGV I'll take the windscreen wipers out and fit them onto my reading glasses, saves me wiping them, much more productive and useful
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109