Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2016 15:01:29(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have stated elsewhere that my budget for this year is £500. So far I have a "bargain" lok that I just couldn't resist at about £200 , awaiting a 29000 MS2 set and would like a couple of freight car sets - so that's my budgets allocated. I am also in the process of being relocated from the dining room to "he may finally have left home for goods" bedroom and the costs for that are starting to mount up. Even IKEA adjustable legs become expensive when you need 8 of them!

So now last evening Martin T posts a short video of the ESU V200 and I was smitten so went in search of info. Not helped by a single digit error in the lok number my search became comprehensive. Along the way I found ESU 31150 and I was doubly smitten but a bit shocked by the price. Then I went on to discover ESU 36031 emergency wagon and was totally hooked. Just for good measure I got into command stations and mobile controllers but at some point I woke up and smelt the coffee.

So now I am rehearsing speeches - You didn't really want a new greenhouse did you my dear?

So a humble question if I do succeed in adding the lok to my budget and maybe the wagon will an MS2 be adequate to get the most out of all the function?

And finally - thank you Martin T
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2016 15:17:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
[...] will an MS2 be adequate to get the most out of all the function?
An MS2 will give you access to F0 through F15. ESU locos typically have 20+ functions, so some functions will be out of reach.
It is possible to re-assign functions - if you don't need F12 but want F20, then you can swap what those function keys do. But with an MS2 this is very complicated.

So check what F0 through F15 are and then decide if that is good value for your money. Typically you have all light functions and the most important sound functions.

Märklin's V 200 comes with RRPs around €350 while earlier models were even €400. So ESU has about the same price, but you get two speakers and two smoke generators where the Märklin model just has one speaker and no smoke generator.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Martin T  
#3 Posted : 11 February 2016 18:12:28(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I´ll write a note to ESU and ask for Commission! Laugh

Actually... The ESU locos are in general THE most awesome locos in the market. They are really pushing the limits.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 11 February 2016 18:28:32(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Find someone that has the ESU Lok Programmer and knows roughly how to use it. If they are a 2 railer, then bring a couple length of C or M track and banana clips and wire.

The ESU Lok Programmer makes programming quite simple. Even something as difficult of re-mapping the function map.

It is worth an hours drive somewhere as the programming that could take hours on the MS2 or any other simple DCC programmer will take minutes with the Lok Programmer. Besides, you can save your files before making a modification....if you don't like it, you can load old settings back again.

I also ordered an ESU Engineering Edition Gravita Lok and am waiting for it.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh