Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2015 03:41:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

How much time does it take you to weather a H0 model steam locomotive in detail?
In my experience, it is about 2 to 3 hours, using a range of techniques, such as brush, air-brush, chalks and cover coatings.
And the result can be a bit hit and miss, if you don't do it often.
There are the small detail areas around the air-pumps, the steam joints, the regulator housing, and the cylinder packing.
And the sand around the sand domes.
It can all require some practice to get it right.

I don't know how many process segments are involved in the Marklin process for weathering, but on their latest offering (37516), they have done in my opinion, a remarkable job.
How long does this process take?
How many team members are involved?
So I consider this engine to be great value.

Anyway, without dismantling the locomotive, I believe it to be the same body and chassis as the previous release, 37563. This one is numbered 56 569.
See my review here. https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t26299-Review-of--56-362---a-digital-model--37563-by-Marklin
It has an MFX+ decoder, the sounds appear to be the same as 37563.
The smoke unit is already installed in the chimney, and it smokes better than any other loco I have.

I have also ordered the 5 car weathered freight set 46088 which will be available soon to go with this locomotive.
(Received April 2016, see review here) - https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t35595-46088---Maerklin-era-II-set-of-rolling-stock
I am going to use this locomotive and set to represent the era from around 1946, with a mix of DR and DR zoned wagons.
The wagons will also go with my 59 004 (Bellingrodt #3).

One feature of this model is the Telex automatic uncoupling, which is digitally controlled. This is a great feature, contributing markedly to realistic shunting.
The application of the uncoupler, starts a realistic clunking/banging sound routine, which goes for 20 seconds, and reminds me of my boyhood train watching days.
I only have one other loco with this mechanism, and this morning I actually successfully used the delayed uncoupling for the first time.
This allows you to uncouple the loco, then proceed to push the wagons backward to the point where you wish to leave them.

Great job Marklin!!! - here are a couple of photos.
UserPostedImage

I am sorry, the photo would be more realistic if I used the piston extension which came in the box.
UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 09 April 2016 11:28:32(UTC)  | Reason: mentioned the use of the set and the uncoupling

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 18 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2015 11:23:19(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hi Kimball,

I also have this loco and waiting the 46088. I completely agree with you that it is a superb weathering. I have not seen all M weatherings, but from all I saw this is the best. I also received the 26803 G8.1 and it is also a great weathering, but I think the BR56.5 is a little better. In the 28803 set all the weathering is great except for the tall wagon (the non-coal one - sorry for I don't know how to call it) that is just a bit dusty in the lower portion.
I think a great coal set that can go with the BR56.5 is the 46026.
I will try not be lazy this weekend and post here the 26803 set photo...

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2015 20:09:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your back-up reporting.

This is the first weathered Marklin loco that I have, and I was really impressed with the detail put into the painting.
Yes, the 46026 is a nice weathered coal car set. Also the 46030.

I look forward to seeing your 26830 set.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2015 01:36:52(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Nice Lok ThumpUp

"I am sorry, the photo would be more realistic if I used the piston extension which came in the box."
but I bet it has not had any weathering RollEyes

I am not that big of a fan of M factory weathering, I only have the Hamburger and the Snowy RailBus.
What is always missing is the water staining on Dampfloks Bored

If one wanted to get it right, yes lots of practice, so I think the removable powder method would be good to practice with,
and also lots of photos of prototypes, and particularly the one you are hoping to replicate. Wink

I have some of those powders Scared OhMyGod Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2015 09:06:15(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
What is always missing is the water staining on Dampfloks Bored

Hi Glen,
That is the one area I think Marklin have done well on this example.

On the side photographed, around the air pumps shows water staining, as does the pipe going into the side of the boiler just behind the smokebox. (not sure what that is?).
The regulator rod going into the steam dome also shows staining.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2015 23:32:07(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hi Kimbal and others,

Sorry for the delay. here are some photos of my G8.1.

G8.1 26803 i1

26803 G8.1 i2

26803 G8.1 i3

26803 G8.1 i4

Edit:
If you want to see them with zoom, click in the image and then click again.

If you want to see some other of my locos look here: My locos's photos on Flicker

If you want to see some specific detail, please ask.

Miguel

Edited by user 23 November 2015 12:06:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline skeeterbuck  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2016 20:07:38(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
As a little follow up to Kimball's inciteful review, this is the first Marklin Loco I have purchased new in over 5 years. I also purchased the accompanying 48066 six car freight set. What struck me when I first opened the boxes is how wimpy thin they are. ThumbDown The bottom area of the plastic that holds the loco is too thin also and when I lifted it out from the box, I had to be careful the the loco didn't come out. Strangely, the top section of the plastic holder was thicker and was fine. I can't tell if this is designed this way or was some kind of manufacturing defect. Confused

The six cars are individually boxed and then inserted into a squarish box to store them in a 3 high X 2 wide configuration. This box too was rather flimsy and not up to the usual Marklin standards that I remembered. Not as much care seems to have gone into the weathering of the freight cars as was taken on the loco. They all just looked to have been airbrushed with a diluted grimy black (Very dark gray) on all the cars with the exception of the dry good bulk car with received the same treatment except with a light gray color.

The other thing that was confusing is that there is a sticker on the log load for the stake sided flat car. The sticker is on the top of the log load. Mad As I writing this, I can't remember what the sticker is for, but I think it was the part number. I know for a fact it doesn't say "This side down" like I originally thought. Laugh I tried flipping it over so that the sticker was on the bottom and would not show, but it didn't fit as well and didn't look correct with the larger logs on top. Also both the loco and cars were made in Hungary. Mellow

I now that I may be too picky complaining about the boxes, but since most of my Marklin collection seem to spend most of their time in the box, (I have way more that I can ever hope to run) I want to be sure that survive unharmed. Smile

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2016 07:04:48(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimball,
....... In the 28803 set all the weathering is great except for the tall wagon (the non-coal one - sorry for I don't know how to call it) that is just a bit dusty in the lower portion.
.....Miguel

On closer inspection of your photos, Miguel, I think the gepackwagen (the tall one as you say) is weathered really well.
While the coal cars are weathered from the top down (due to loading of coal from above), the gepackwagen is weathered from the bottom up.
This is because it would collect what they call "road grime", being dirt and water thrown up by the wheels of the train.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5746/22854357119_4e9f4b9175_k.jpg

To be most realistic, "bottom up" weathering would often be a dirty brown or grey, rather than a black.
And most wagons would show signs of this road grime as well.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2016 10:47:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimball,
....... In the 28803 set all the weathering is great except for the tall wagon (the non-coal one - sorry for I don't know how to call it) that is just a bit dusty in the lower portion.
.....Miguel

On closer inspection of your photos, Miguel, I think the gepackwagen (the tall one as you say) is weathered really well.
While the coal cars are weathered from the top down (due to loading of coal from above), the gepackwagen is weathered from the bottom up.
This is because it would collect what they call "road grime", being dirt and water thrown up by the wheels of the train.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5746/22854357119_4e9f4b9175_k.jpg

To be most realistic, "bottom up" weathering would often be a dirty brown or grey, rather than a black.

regards
Kimball

However if it has been spending time as a companion to coal trains it may well end up going through coal yards where a lot of the spray and stuff will carry coal dust, so the weathering is probably true to the nature of the train.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mbarreto  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2016 11:00:05(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it and agree with you that the weathering is correct.
When I was refereeing that the gepackwagen is not so well weathered
I was thinking that additional weathering could have been done. For example, some rust close to the iron structure with a bit top down effect due to rain and some dirt between wood (I think the horizontal stripes are wood...). Anyway, it is acceptable that the 2 factors I just mentioned had been active yet for that wagon and the weathering is indeed very good.
I think M weathering is very good currently, indeed much better than before and I like a lot to see there weathered trains in the Insider DVDs (E93, Croc, BR18.5, etc).
I also like a lot (although I don't have) the 26554 weathered set.
Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2016 00:07:38(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Alan and Miguel,

Everything you guys say is absolutely valid.

If you think about the limited time Marklin employees can afford to spend with whatever it is they use for weathering, overall they do a terrific job.

regards
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2016 07:57:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't mind weathering and there have been excellent examples by members from different forums who have gone down this way and I think you have to have real photos and an artistic eye and hand to conquer such jobs. all my locos and layout has been weathered au natural but one can say the locos are not purposely weathered.

I feel when one starts with weathering the whole lot should or has be weathered otherwise you may find it intolerable to look at a shiny new loco and an old war horse and the same goes for carriages.

I've stayed away from it (doing it myself) because of the task it would take to weather over 200 locos and most probably 500 carriages or so.

so long you enjoy what you see why not.

John

Edited by user 11 February 2016 02:40:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline vnangli  
#13 Posted : 29 February 2016 21:26:36(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
I received one of these this last weekend...And I was very very impressed by the details and especially weathering.
Even my daughter (8th grader) who doesnt care much about these trains was saying "oh this train looks so real!!!".

And when I found this thread, I felt even happier that I was infact admiring something which others have also found impressive. I am really glad I bought it.

Now, the only thing that bothers me (as does it happen with my Marklin 39550 as well) is handling of this "baby with such fine details" while removing it from the box, placing it on the rails and putting it back to its package...And because of this, I havent run it yet...Have only been adoring watching it....

Any suggestions, friends...

Thanks
VJ

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by vnangli
Offline skeeterbuck  
#14 Posted : 29 February 2016 23:22:03(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
I received one of these this last weekend...And I was very very impressed by the details and especially weathering.
Even my daughter (8th grader) who doesnt care much about these trains was saying "oh this train looks so real!!!".

And when I found this thread, I felt even happier that I was infact admiring something which others have also found impressive. I am really glad I bought it.

Now, the only thing that bothers me (as does it happen with my Marklin 39550 as well) is handling of this "baby with such fine details" while removing it from the box, placing it on the rails and putting it back to its package...And because of this, I havent run it yet...Have only been adoring watching it....

Any suggestions, friends...

Thanks
VJ

What I do is before I lift the loco out of the plastic packing surround is to look for items on both sides that can be easily broken or bent by careless handling.I make sure I don't put my fingers there when lifting. Usually the edges of the running boards are a safe area. The tender sides are usually a safe bet too and ideal on tank style locos. Examine the booklet that comes with the engine. Sometimes that have a caution notice indicating areas to avoid placing your fingers. Good luck with your new loco. I have this model and it's one of my favorites. ThumpUp

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck