Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Writhdar  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2010 21:30:29(UTC)
Writhdar

I am looking for the reference source (& construction details) for a large K track layout - probably from the mid-1980's. It was probably in a Marklin book on modeling with K track --- it is not in books of layout plans such as 0700. The theme is mountain foothills (Vorgebirglandschaft) and has four stations - Burghausen, Taldorf, Bergheim, and St. Nicklaus. The shape is an inverted U - top dimension is 440 cm, left side is 400 cm, and right side is 350 cm.

I have photocopies of the track plan:
main level
UserPostedImage
lower levels:
UserPostedImage

Thank you
Offline Munich 1860  
#2 Posted : 13 January 2010 13:05:13(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Hello Dan,

this one is pretty easy to answer because it really is a rather well-known layout.

The book is called "Märklin Bahn + Landschaft" and the Marklin catalog number was 0327. The author was Bernd Schmid, a free lance photographer who turned into a professional layout builder at Märklin. Many details from 1970ies' Märklin Magazines stem from him.

Alas, Bernd Schmid is no longer with us but his book which came of something like a shock to the 3-ovals-with-a village-in-the-middle-driving Marklinist is still available on Ebay.

For you, it will be easy and cheap as you already are in the possession of the plan, everybody else make sure the plan is included in the book as it is a take out folder.

Many regards,

Hans
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 13 January 2010 13:54:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
That's a nice plan!

I wish I had the space for something like that...
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Writhdar  
#4 Posted : 13 January 2010 22:03:12(UTC)
Writhdar

Hans,

Thank you very much. I did see the book on ebay (Germany - did not see it on the USA or UK ebay's) and have asked whether it can be shipped to the US. I will also post a request in the "I want to buy...." section here.

I will consider this layout one for the future but will go ahead and convert the layout plan to C track. The benchwork construction details in the book would be helpful, of course. The layout is somewhat larger than what space I have but I might be able to reasonably modify it to fit.

Dan
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2010 09:23:21(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I have the book. (And also the next one B.S. did with M.)
With so much space and multi levels one could really do much better in terms of tracks and running. I think the real force of that particular layout is the landscaping done. (B.S. was a true master!)
The track-plan and landscapping characteristics was later re-done by an M-fan, -and presented in an M. Magazine in the section "Freunde Berichten"!

Back on track;
For such a big layout, shaddow-stations are far too few. (Which he fortunatly solved in later big layouts!)
Running is just a simple (but very long) double tracked oval, with the trains running around in the same direction always. (My main gripe with this and ALL his layouts)
Station-area, service-areas and local industrial shunting is just right. IMHO the strongest point with all his layouts.
Secondary line (at least it is there!) is quite good also.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2010 10:22:17(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Henrik, I suppose there is no such thing as a perfect layout plan for all modellers, because everyone has different preferences.

The lack of storage sidings you point out can easily be rectified by adding some more at the back and on the right. Anyway I would also install a system of cassettes to add more storage "off-layout"

The only real problem I have with this plan is that there are not enough freight facilities. The main station has some,but I would like to see a seperate goods station as well, perhaps instead of one of the passenger stations.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Writhdar  
#7 Posted : 14 January 2010 16:55:32(UTC)
Writhdar

Henrik,

Do you have the reference to "...track-plan and landscapping characteristics was later re-done by an M-fan, -and presented in an M. Magazine in the section "Freunde Berichten"!...."? I would like to look at it.

As for the original plan in the 0327 book, would you by any chance know what the approximate elevations are for points E and F?

Dan
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 14 January 2010 21:12:20(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Writhdar wrote:

Do you have the reference to "...track-plan and landscapping characteristics was later re-done by an M-fan, -and presented in an M. Magazine in the section "Freunde Berichten"!...."? I would like to look at it.

Ufff... I dont want to go through the pile of MM´s right now. It might have been late 90´es or during the 2000´s.
Quote:

As for the original plan in the 0327 book, would you by any chance know what the approximate elevations are for points E and F?

Well, THAT I can do, if I can find the book. ;-)
(-But I would think that it should be pretty clear from the plans that you already have¿?)

I will try to get back to you on this, this weekend, if somebody else doesnt beat me to it before...
Best regards
Offline TomB  
#9 Posted : 14 January 2010 21:22:11(UTC)
TomB

I still have the 2 books from Bernd Schmid. That was the best you could learn from, about 20 years ago.

He also had a 3. book for Märklin: 0324 Märklin I für Haus+Garten.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Tom Blikstad
HO, german/swiss trains, Märklin K+C, ECoS I+II,
Viessmann, Kühn, MBTronik, WinDigipet 2012, WinTrack 11
Offline Writhdar  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2010 22:35:44(UTC)
Writhdar

Henrik,

I will be able to approximate E & F elevations from the plan - I was hoping that this was easy to find in the book itself but I will determine them as I work on the C track plan. (And I might have the book by then).

Dan
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2010 12:25:19(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Found it!
Marklin Magazine 5/98 page 10-17.
Unfortunatly my flatbed scanner doesnt work, but maybe somebody else can help you out¿?

I want to repeat again that, although the layout -at first view- looks absolutly fabulous (thanks to B.S.'s superior decoration talent!), lots of things has changed in the MR world; significance of shadow-stations, introduction of slim swtiches and flexible tracks, real 1:87 scale rolling stock and buildings. (Most of the stuff used on this layout (both the original and the MM-remake) is 1:100 -or even 1:120 in some cases of very old Faller buildings!
-Of coruse, this doesnt dismiss the fact that the original layout was/is a masterpiece of it's time! (Which "Munich 1860" also implies)
Best regards
Offline Writhdar  
#12 Posted : 17 January 2010 01:13:50(UTC)
Writhdar

Henrik,

Thank you very much. Now I know which issue to try to obtain. As for my plans, this layout will be for the future and it is presently well beyond my skill level. However, I think I will enjoy working out a modified track plan (to fit available space) in C track. Once that is done, I'll think about how to get the benchwork done.

Dan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 19 January 2010 11:26:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Dan, as I said to you via email, our club library for some reason did not have this particular issue. As it happens, I was visiting today, one of our club members. He is in the process of selling some Marklin magazines, including the ones for 1998. Since he was selling a set of 6, he did not want me to break up a complete set by removing one issue, but as it turns out he actually had 2 copies of the 5/98 issue, so he has given me one for our library to fill the gap.

I can scan the article for you, and either email it, or put it somewhere where you can download it.
Offline Writhdar  
#14 Posted : 19 January 2010 16:36:23(UTC)
Writhdar

David, Thank you Thank you Thank you again - an email of the scan would be great --- my email address: dhonig@animas.net

Dan
Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:37:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
bsavatar.png

Here the thread of a Dutch modeler who is constructing a mirrored version:

http://forum.3rail.nl/index.php?topic=6647.1750
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek