Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2016 22:01:59(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I'm curious what folks have in terms of experience with respect to getting product that is new for the year, posted on the Märklin schedule as being intended to be available at time X, and when it actually becomes available form the. And how that translates to shipping from, say a US based vendor.

In my specific case, I've pre-ordered a 29000 digital starter kit (the kit without rolling stock). The Märkin's schedule indicates January 2016 as the availability of that kit. So is there any general feel how accurate those times are with respect to Märklin's estimate? In this case I assume relatively good, given its not a new part, just a new box to put an existing set of parts in (albeit with a new paint color and maybe updated firmware), but for things they produce later in the year that are new, it would also be good to know for general readers.

Then the question of: OK if Märklin does meet its schedule announcement, how long does it take to get those things into the US retailers hands, so they can then send them on to their customers?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2016 22:12:25(UTC)
H0

Some items arrive about a year later than initially announced.

But as you write, with set #29000 there shouldn't be unexpected problems.

Delivery to Walthers can cause a delay. Rumours say they ship once a month.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:02:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Delivery is something of a raffle. It does seem to depend on when your dealer places their order.

In your case, you have only just ordered the 29000 set. If Reynaulds haven't pre-ordered as soon as they had information on the new items - probably very early in January - then they have probably only just placed the order to cover your order.

Now note that Steventrain has already noted that the 29000 was temporarily unavailable and then (i think) available again suggests that the demand in Europe is pretty high for this set, so Reynaulds order may be well down the list.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:26:55(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If you are into (cross)eye charts, I had a VERY crude 'bot running last year to capture the GA (at the Marklin WebShop) of items , with comparison their broadcast expected delivery.

In essence
- light green meant early (however, this may have been after a revised delivery date)
- any crimson/red that toggled back to yellow/orange meant notice of delay AFTER the originally gazetted expected delivery

dl_ni2015_sortga_20151017.pdf (284kb) downloaded 50 time(s).
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2016 00:55:56(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
If you are into (cross)eye charts, I had a VERY crude 'bot running last year to capture the GA (at the Marklin WebShop) of items , with comparison their broadcast expected delivery.

In essence
- light green meant early (however, this may have been after a revised delivery date)
- any crimson/red that toggled back to yellow/orange meant notice of delay AFTER the originally gazetted expected delivery

dl_ni2015_sortga_20151017.pdf (284kb) downloaded 50 time(s).

Data nerd ... I like it!
So I assume things that went red that then went green were as a result of an updated schedule later in the game?

So a few things from the January time frame made the date ... I'm hopeful about the no-rolling-stock 29000 starter set this year.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2016 10:14:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Things are definitely different in North America and elsewhere outside Europe than they are in Germany. Items are produced and then released by the factory, usually respecting the announced production date (by quarter). I am sure that there is an internal production schedule that lists the items month by month or week by week, but this information is not generally made public.
The problem occurs with the export of the goods overseas. Some distributors have small orders weekly or biweekly, but others may ship quarterly, so they only receive goods four times a year, which can add up to three months delay if an item is released just following a shipment. Additional delays can occur with shipment/customs/etc. Some companies might actually ship in bulk, and will have an overseas shipment delayed in Germany while they wait for other companies to deliver to complete a container or similar (e.g. Combining orders from Maerklin, Roco, etc... into one order to save shipping costs.)
You can check with your dealer whether they get their product directly from Germany or whether they order through a distributor and how often they receive orders.

It can also happen that your dealer orders 5 from the distributor, who in turn had ordered 10 from the factory, but the factory only shipped 7, so your dealer might only receive 3. In reality (for most items) it is probably more your dealer orders 1 or 2 and the distributor only ordered 5 but factory only delivered 3 for the whole country.

That said, once you find a good dealer, you will know with the first order.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2016 11:17:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Plenty of 29000 sets showing up on ebay.de

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_...rklin+29000&_sacat=0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2016 17:03:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Seems like for some types of items it's just better to order direct from a German vendor given I can get it, with shipping from Europe, for less than a US based "dealer".
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2016 22:15:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Seems like for some types of items it's just better to order direct from a German vendor given I can get it, with shipping from Europe, for less than a US based "dealer".

I am afraid that and the reliability of supply on a reasonable timescale have led to a lot of people doing exactly that.

Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2016 22:30:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It take 4-8 weeks (shipping and custom) to reach USA dealers from Marklin.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline mrmarklin  
#11 Posted : 10 February 2016 00:35:41(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Marklin Production schedules are but a vague guideline. As some you may be aware a significant number of 2015 new items were carried over to 2016 and re-listed in the 2016 New Item brochure!

I believe Marklin production priorities are as follows:

Hot sellers
MHI items
Any other hot seller that could do with another production run.
End of year stuff like Xmas car, Marklin Magazine car
Hot sellers
Starter sets for Xmas
Hot sellers
Everything else.

Flapper Flapper Flapper Flapper
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline mrmarklin  
#12 Posted : 10 February 2016 00:38:16(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

Back in the day of Marklin Inc., many times the US dealers would have items coincidental with deliveries in Germany. Obviously shipped in advance.

In talking to Janko Franke the export manager for Marklin, it's possible Marklin will return to this model. US orders from German dealers are obviously eating into US sales.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 10 February 2016 01:08:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have never seen a single instance of Walthers, Marklin Inc, Gordon Book or any of the American or Canadian distributors receiving deliveries at the same time as dealers in Germany. In all of my dealings with those companies, Steventrain's assessment of 4-8 weeks delay is pretty accurate. This is due to items being held pending the order reaching a certain size, shipments that were made quarterly and more recently on a monthly basis, US and/or Canadian customs and postal delays and the fact that the large orders were shipped by surface (ocean container).

The only items that might arrive on a timely basis would be a small quantity or press material that might be shipped airmail and would take up to 3 weeks to arrive at the distributor, or other shipments by air at a time when dealers were allowed to order direct from the factory.

Even in Europe, there is a difference between dealers who pick up their shipments at the Factory, items that are shipped locally and items that are shipped to the other end of the country, not to mention dealers who order through groupings (e.g. Idee und Spiel) where an additional delay might occur if distribution is handled by that grouping. Shipments to Maerklin distributors in other EC or European countries normally have a delay of 1-3 weeks, depending on customs or postal/handling delays and delays between that country's distributor and the various dealers.

Regards

Mike C

Offline Minok  
#14 Posted : 10 February 2016 01:35:51(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

And so after phoning one of the main US side dealers about the backorder of the 29000 starter set and when that might be delivered, I was told by them maybe June/July.
Given the cost would be the same or less to get one from ebay.de even with international shipping, I canceled the US side order and have already done the 'buy it now' and the 29000 should be in my hands in about 2 weeks.

The system as it stands is not going to support US side dealers - unless the US side dealer can clearly indicate on their website what they have IN STOCK (personally on hand).
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 10 February 2016 14:31:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I was told by them maybe June/July.

Did you pointedly tell them that it is available now on ebay, and hence because they didn't push things with hteir suppliers they were missing out?

Offline Minok  
#16 Posted : 10 February 2016 19:57:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I was told by them maybe June/July.

Did you pointedly tell them that it is available now on ebay, and hence because they didn't push things with hteir suppliers they were missing out?

No, that I did not do, intentionally, for a few reasons.
1) If they are at all competent at their job, they should be able to figure that out, as they can certainly see the same availability on eBay.de for product they won't have till 6 months later.
2) I have other parts on order I can wait for and don't want to be a vocal thorn in their sides, as it would not serve me in any way to do so.

They should know and I know to look for other sources for anything I really want with some predictability.

The US side retailers and distributor(s) will need to exert some pressure on Märklin to fix this; Märklin itself wont fix it as they sell the product just as well via their Deutschland eBay resellers as via US side retailers.
---
My YouTube Channel: