Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline d_marklin  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2016 07:38:43(UTC)
d_marklin

Australia   
I'm new to this forum and some of what I've inserted below has already been inserted into the 'Who we are, member presentation' section though as a specific request for assistance it is no doubt better submitted here.

I recently purchased a small Marklin starter set from Aldi. The following image of the packaging will give some idea of the product type (Marklin product ID # 29253).
marklin_ - 1.jpg

From guidance and advice I've already gleaned off this terrific forum I began fiddling to see what I could do to upgrade the small diesel shunting locomotive that came with the set. My first enhancement attempt can be seen here:
marklin_ - 2.jpg

Its the insertion of a small 2mm flashing orange LED into the cab roof to simulate a movement warning strobe.

To wire this in I could connect it into the locomotive's existing fwd & reverse lamp circuits, or more ambitiously, consider adding it as a separate digitally controlled function. To achieve the latter I began investigating whether the digital control board provided with this simple engine may be capable of more than can be controlled using the very basic controller supplied with the set. I have an inkling it might and so may I ask my first request for assistance to those of you on the forum with considerably deeper knowledge of matters mfx/mm2. Could any of you identify the digital decoder board involved shown in the following images.
Top side, still mounted:
marklin_ - 3.jpg

Bottom side, detached:
marklin_ - 5.jpg

The board has the following code imprinted on the bottom surface: 'KN150211'. In particular I'm keen to obtain whatever technical information may be available regarding this decoder, and, in particular, what purpose the un-soldered connection pads might have. Are any of these pads related to functional control outputs and if so how are they configured - pull-up to supply voltage or pull down to Gnd?

Looking forward to receiving whatever insights might be forthcoming.

Regards

Dion
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by d_marklin
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2016 08:38:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: d_marklin Go to Quoted Post
Are any of these functional control outputs and if so how are they configured - pull-up to supply voltage or pull down to Gnd?
Similar decoders from the TRAXX hobby locos have one function output with logic level (around 0 V when inactive, around 5 V when active, load should not exceed 2 mA, transistor needed to use it), one amplified output (open collector, pulling to ground, maximum load typically 250 mA, but since it is undocumented you cannot be too sure).

Here is a picture showing an older decoder:
http://www.web-hgh-moba....5-223-232-280_fx-txt.jpg
F3 is the amplified output (open collector), F1 is the logic level output. Maybe this helps to get you started in reverse engineering your decoder.

Maybe the starter set controller does not have access to F1 and F3.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2016 15:27:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I would suggest the round pads on the bottom side are factory test points that get connected to by what are termed 'pogo pins' (spring loaded pins) to load software and configuration data into the microprocessor. The rectangular pads on the top side are the only ones I would consider connecting anything to, but I have no information on what the connections are.
Offline d_marklin  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2016 14:12:10(UTC)
d_marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I would suggest the round pads on the bottom side are factory test points that get connected to by what are termed 'pogo pins' (spring loaded pins) to load software and configuration data into the microprocessor. The rectangular pads on the top side are the only ones I would consider connecting anything to, but I have no information on what the connections are.

I concur that the spot pads on the bottom are test points. Its the pads on the top surface that are of relevance as they all appear to be of the same dimensions as the ones wires are soldered to on the other edge.

Perhaps one approach may be to toggle the F1 through F4 functions on one of the more sophisticated Märklin or equivalent controllers while monitoring these pads with an oscilloscope, or even a basic multi-meter. I'm not yet in a position to do this but will try this approach when I get a DesktopStation system running.
Offline d_marklin  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2016 14:16:10(UTC)
d_marklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe the starter set controller does not have access to F1 and F3.

@H0: This starter set controller is very basic indeed. It is a hardwired version with direction, speed and light on/off controls only - no function buttons at all.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2023 03:56:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hello,
I did not get one of these sets, but my local Märklin dealer was the warranty agent, and he had a few items that were unrepairable.
So this little beast did not have a motor.
But the MFX decoder still worked and the lights work according to direction chosen on the controller.
The cab is now modified with some clear plastic to represent glass, and I think it looks better.
I usually tow this loco with another loco, although it looks OK sitting in the sidings.

I picked up a little toy crane truck at the $2 store and because it was not HO scale, I removed the crane and fitted it to this loco.
I now have an extendable crane loco which looks the part in my industrial or workshop areas.
It required only one screw from inside the body which allows it to swivel.
UserPostedImage

Maybe one day I will get another one of these locos with a motor so it can be driven.
UserPostedImage

Kimball

Edited by user 15 October 2023 10:41:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow