Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2015 15:41:07(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Greetings,

Let's get this out there... I know nothing about model trains besides the most obvious. I last had a train set 40+ years ago, and I have had the pleasure of walking through Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg a couple of times, as well as one in Berlin.

As a wonderful surprise, a friend in Germany, knowing my love of the German Rail System (DB), just gave me a never used Märklin set #37783. It has been opened and cleaned, having sat for a few years- I knew to do that much. It is beautiful and I have been trying to educate myself in the world of trains, digital, 3-rail AC, etc. It's a lot to absorb. I have decided to work with it and set something up.

So, where to begin? First off, for this holiday season, my wife and kids are buying me the c-series tracks (including the connector track) with radius 2 curves, and the 60653 station, the 60113 connector box, and the 66365 power supply. What else would I need to start? At this beginning stage I am looking for a simple oval arrangement. As experience comes, I will look to expand.

I also would like to expand the train to 8-9 cars. I have seen here and elsewhere that the correct cars are 43714, 43734, 43744. Are there other sets more readily available that also work? I am not a perfectionist and am not worried about matching numbers or light systems.

Can someone explain the differences between the 3778X series. I know they are meant to represent different trains of the class and I assume the 37788 is the newer system (based on its 2012 release). What's the difference between a 37783 and 37788? Is it just bulb vs. LED; are the sound systems different, I assume?

I see many, many digital systems by Märklin, some are 4 digit and some are 5 (3770 vs. 37701)- is it based on the number of cars in the set (4 vs. 5)?

Sadly, here in Toledo, Ohio, USA there is no one who seems to know HO scale or even sell much. I have been searching the internet the last few weeks, and have not found the clarifications I am seeking, so I joined here looking for help.

Thanks for ANY clarifications you can help with, and remember, I am a complete novice/novitiate in this world.

Anthony Dodge (age 52)

Edited by user 14 January 2016 01:19:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Wherever man burns books, he will, in the end, also burn people." Heinrich Heine 1820
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Anthony S Dodge
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2015 16:52:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, Anthony,
Welcome to the forum.

Some answers:
* With C track and MS2 (60653) you do not need a connector track.
* The prototypical ICE 3 set has 8 coaches. Märklin say 8 is the limit and you shouldn't go beyond it.
* 37783 is a class 406 train (six pantographs) while 37788 is a class 403 train (two pantographs). 37783 has no sound.
* 4 vs. 5 digits: They ran out of numbers and added a digit. There still are some four-digit articles in the catalogue, so 4 digits only indicate an item was introduced a long time ago, but does not always indicate when it was made.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Jay  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2015 17:05:38(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hello Antony,
welcome to the world of model trains and the forum. Here you will get all the help you need,from the basic to the most technically advanced.
All this from the most friendly and very experienced forum members.Congratulations on your acquisition of the 37783.
Many of us have also arrived here after many years in the real but boring world. I too am relatively new to the new digital technology,however I
am sure all your queries will be thoroughly answered by the many competent forum members.
Good luck and best wishes
Jay
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jay
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2015 17:12:17(UTC)
H0

#37883 is BR 406. Light grey, not black.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2015 17:17:33(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the Forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Jay  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2015 17:19:33(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hey Tom .
Sorry a very senior moment .Realized mistake and corrected.
Thanks for the heads up
Regards
Jay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2015 17:51:27(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi Anthony Cool

Welcome to the forum

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Thewolf
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2015 18:25:31(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Anthony,
Welcome to the forum.

Some answers:
* With C track and MS2 (60653) you do not need a connector track.
* The prototypical ICE 3 set has 8 coaches. Märklin say 8 is the limit and you shouldn't go beyond it.
* 37783 is a class 406 train (six pantographs) while 37788 is a class 403 train (two pantographs). 37783 has no sound.
* 4 vs. 5 digits: They ran out of numbers and added a digit. There still are some four-digit articles in the catalogue, so 4 digits only indicate an item was introduced a long time ago, but does not always indicate when it was made.

________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Thanks for that info. I was looking at the system my wife bought (MS2 with extras) and it really looked like a direct wire set-up, but a local Hobby guy said I would need the connector track. This is why I am now here. When my friend announced he was giving this to me out of the blue (it arrived this morning as I type), I was overwhelmed. (I travel to Germany with students every year, and we use the rail system- and express our love for it all the time... I had mentioned buying a couple toy passenger car models for display in my classroom- I even bought a Märklin Regio non-digital car for just that reason). I was amazed at the cost when I began researching this stuff. This set was over $540 new. So, I am not about to mistreat or waste this, and the family has offered to make it a DB train Christmas for me.
"Wherever man burns books, he will, in the end, also burn people." Heinrich Heine 1820
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Anthony S Dodge
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 December 2015 18:35:43(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Anthony S Dodge Go to Quoted Post
[...] but a local Hobby guy said I would need the connector track.
The connector track #24088 is for use with Mobile Stations 60651 and 60652 and Central Station 60212, but cannot be used with Mobile Station 60653. Don't buy a #24088 and use the 20-odd bucks for something else.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2015 21:24:34(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Anthony,
Welcome to the forum.

Some answers:

Do they make a Sound/Mfx chip or such for the 37783? I have noticed that some systems offer this. I noticed that the add-on car #34744 has sound.

Thanks for all your information.

Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 13 December 2015 21:40:55(UTC)
H0

Do they make a Sound/Mfx chip or such for the 37783? I have noticed that some systems offer this. I noticed that the add-on car #34744 has sound.
There is no simple way to convert 37783 to sound.
The add-on car has a simple sound module, not a sound decoder. Sound decoders have many sound functions and operating sound that changes with the speed.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#12 Posted : 09 January 2016 18:06:57(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

I want to thank everyone who responded. I have my system up and running, and I have already built a display table (6' x 12') in my basement from wood I had around from home repair projects. I still have to add a foam base. I have used a simple program 9SCARM) to design my penciled layout. I intend to create a simple scene of a real station I am quite familiar with, Delmenhorst, Germany. The station has 3 platforms, but is somewhat intriguing as the station is at ground level, but the 3 platforms run above the roof of the station. I found a model that I can bash to create the station and my tabletop wargaming scenery skills lead me to think I can make this. This is (for me) an expensive world, and I am only at the front door, so I have to go slow. For now, I have a plan. In the end I plan to run 3 lines on 3 concentric loops... an ICE (or 2), a DB Regio line, and a NWB- to represent the three trains my students and family ride most when in Germany.

20160103_185616.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Anthony S Dodge
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 09 January 2016 20:38:24(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Great start Anthony!
Always good to have a good sized table that you can expand into. From experience, I would recommend going slow and building the kits or buying them one at a time and see if they work for you. I now have about 30 unbuilt kits and a lot of MMR material that will last me for years to work with... sometimes hard to resist purchasing bargains of material you love when you go to model train shows or swap meets, but a great place to get a few things. I love the idea of having a display in your classroom. Kids need to see that these are far more than "toys" and catch the wonder of the model. That said, I would make sure you have it in locked display cabinet and when/if you do take it out to run, set your maximum speed settings where any kids who you might trust with the throttle will not run it off the rails. Guessing that MS2 does allow for max speed limits? (I use the old 6021 CU)
Peace in 2016!
- Mark

I want to thank everyone who responded. I have my system up and running, and I have already built a display table (6' x 12') in my basement from wood I had around from home repair projects. I still have to add a foam base. I have used a simple program 9SCARM) to design my penciled layout. I intend to create a simple scene of a real station I am quite familiar with, Delmenhorst, Germany. The station has 3 platforms, but is somewhat intriguing as the station is at ground level, but the 3 platforms run above the roof of the station. I found a model that I can bash to create the station and my tabletop wargaming scenery skills lead me to think I can make this. This is (for me) an expensive world, and I am only at the front door, so I have to go slow. For now, I have a plan. In the end I plan to run 3 lines on 3 concentric loops... an ICE (or 2), a DB Regio line, and a NWB- to represent the three trains my students and family ride most when in Germany.

20160103_185616.jpg
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2016 21:01:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Guessing that MS2 does allow for max speed limits?
The maximum speed is set in the decoder. This works with Mobile Station 60652, Mobile Station 2, CU 6021, ...

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 09 January 2016 21:46:00(UTC)
Webmaster

Welcome Anthony,

This seems like a good start indeed. Just watch your wallet, there is no limit once you get hooked... Wink

Great to see you use Scarm, the author of the software is a member here too (Mixy).
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2016 23:14:33(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Great start Anthony!
Always good to have a good sized table that you can expand into. From experience, I would recommend going slow and building the kits or buying them one at a time and see if they work for you. I now have about 30 unbuilt kits and a lot of MMR material that will last me for years to work with... sometimes hard to resist purchasing bargains of material you love when you go to model train shows or swap meets, but a great place to get a few things. I love the idea of having a display in your classroom. Kids need to see that these are far more than "toys" and catch the wonder of the model. That said, I would make sure you have it in locked display cabinet and when/if you do take it out to run, set your maximum speed settings where any kids who you might trust with the throttle will not run it off the rails. Guessing that MS2 does allow for max speed limits? (I use the old 6021 CU)
Peace in 2016!
- Mark

Thanks Mark. We have a definitive plan in mind, and going slow is mandated by expenses. We have elected to put a small, much less expensive simple layout in my classroom and are building what is pictured in my basement. One of the issues with classroom set-ups is not so much security from students, but cleaning crews and summer- when we have to clear out the rooms, anyhow. So, we did a simple arrangement in the classroom with a couple simple DC systems.
As a newb with lots of questions and no background, I have been researching the last 4+ months (knowing I was getting this ICE403 from Marklin) and elected to go with digital as that seems to be the wave of the future, and I am focusing on modern era (V-VI) trains... very specific ones in mind.... We are looking to model the RE4411 which runs from Norddeich to Hanover (A DB Regio), a NordWestBahn set, and one additional ICE. I have some modeling background and intend to make a station based on Delmenhorst Bahnhof using the Kibri 39514 Kehl model I just picked up. I think I can bash and mix that with some old pieces I have access to and make a very solid replica of the station and Bus Depot in front.

Thanks again...

Edited by moderator 15 January 2016 22:14:44(UTC)  | Reason: added missing end quote

Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#17 Posted : 12 January 2016 23:25:24(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Welcome Anthony,

This seems like a good start indeed. Just watch your wallet, there is no limit once you get hooked... Wink

Great to see you use Scarm, the author of the software is a member here too (Mixy).

Thanks Webmaster,

Indeed, once I learned my friend was giving me this set, we began studying it and the eyes grew wide because the prices can be intimidating and there is no one locally who does HO or knows the ins and outs of Marklin and Digital trains. It is definitely a wallet muncher, but we have kept our beginnings grounded and I know the limitations of space, time, and money. This is why it has been so important to learn even the most elementary things and go from there. The best thing is my wife has been 100% supportive and has even made her own suggestions and wishes for the design. We are trying to specifically recreate a favorite town in Germany which we have lived in every June for the last 13 years... obviously scale is impossible, but the station and some surrounding sections are doable. We have already looked at modular to add on, should the desire to arise. The table pictured will actually have a hinged top so that it can be closed and used for my 3D wargaming, slot cars, and other old hobbies I still do now and then. I am pretty decent at cobbling functional furniture, and I hope that background helps in this endeavor.

I am glad to have found this site. I have already run into some forums and "enthusiasts" who either overload one with too much information and drive for perfection or get impatient with newbs and show it. Right now, we have a cool little Marklin digital train with no sound functions but lights running around on an oval with a bunch of my wargaming terrain thrown on for a lark, and already having a blast. I already bought some sitting passenger figures and put them in the cars. It's been a blast and we are slowly plotting our course of action... thanks to websites and youtube. The SCARM was a GREAT find and really let us play with ideas, as well as seeing hundreds of other peoples' ideas and plans. Mixy is to be thanked a lot!

Anthony
Offline Mark5  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2016 01:34:51(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Kehl is a really beautiful station,
I am a fan of the clean lines and the "Bauhaus" look.
And looks like Kibri did a really good job, so I think you made a good choice.
In fact you sparked my curiousity and I looked up a few links.
The official Bahnhof website is pretty jazzy: http://www.bahnhof-kehl.de/
There are a number of press clippings linked in German, but the wikipedia article on the station is a stub and I could not find anything about the original construction of the station [I'd love to know when that was], and when it was actually re-opened. Might just be my botch job on translating the German but seems to have reopened in around 2009, do you know?

- Mark

Bahnhof-Kehl.jpg

Thanks Mark. We have a definitive plan in mind, and going slow is mandated by expenses. We have elected to put a small, much less expensive simple layout in my classroom and are building what is pictured in my basement. One of the issues with classroom set-ups is not so much security from students, but cleaning crews and summer- when we have to clear out the rooms, anyhow. So, we did a simple arrangement in the classroom with a couple simple DC systems.
As a newb with lots of questions and no background, I have been researching the last 4+ months (knowing I was getting this ICE403 from Marklin) and elected to go with digital as that seems to be the wave of the future, and I am focusing on modern era (V-VI) trains... very specific ones in mind.... We are looking to model the RE4411 which runs from Norddeich to Hanover (A DB Regio), a NordWestBahn set, and one additional ICE. I have some modeling background and intend to make a station based on Delmenhorst Bahnhof using the Kibri 39514 Kehl model I just picked up. I think I can bash and mix that with some old pieces I have access to and make a very solid replica of the station and Bus Depot in front.

Thanks again...

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#19 Posted : 15 January 2016 14:44:17(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Also, I am recreating a DB regio Bahn (RE4411). It runs from Norddeich to Hannover. The loco is a DBAG Dbzk761 (Era V)... does anyone know if anyone makes this in HO scale, preferably AC, I am not finding any in the red color scheme?

348s[1].jpg

IMG_1654_B1200[1].jpg

Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 15 January 2016 14:49:13(UTC)
H0

The loco is a DBAG Dbzk761 (Era V)...
This ain't no loco, it is a control car. The loco is at the other end, pushing the train. When I saw this train it was run by BR 146.1.
Märklin makes double-stock control cars in 1:100, other companies make them in 1:87. I'm not sure if any of those is the correct type, but at least they look similar.
Which length would you prefer?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#21 Posted : 15 January 2016 15:22:31(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Blushing Thanks... I have ridden this train many, MANY times, never noticed the loco at the back. As I said, I am a newbie at the modeling and train world, and loco vs control car is a new concept to me. I presumed the front wagon/car was a diesel engine... like the newer LINT series vehicles being used by many of the private companies like NordWestBahn and TransRegio. Now that I know the loco is in the back, I can go back to many of the Maerklin and Piko versions of the double-decker sets with the control car.

Again, thanks for the info and help.

Edited by user 17 January 2016 04:28:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Anthony S Dodge  
#22 Posted : 07 February 2016 03:16:45(UTC)
Anthony S Dodge

Thanks to many, and a lot of folks at the ETE Great Lakes Chapter, I have been learning much. I have completed my basic table and 3 circuit system. The terrain in the pic is just some old wargaming stuff for a sense of purpose and some wooden leftover bits to mark where some of the buildings I will make will be situated. I thought I would share a pic of the table and layout at this stage, with the turnouts all wired and working with the MS2.

20160131_090214.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Anthony S Dodge