Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline analogmike  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2016 20:03:40(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello, I found these old pics in my father's photo album so i scanned them to share with you. The layout was a 5x9 ping-pong table and a 4x4 pc. of plywood with a rev. loop on it. I could run 3 trains all day long and I only had one signal!Flapper . This was the year I got the Borsig for Christmas so I had the layout up so we could watch her roll. Enjoy. mikey.764.JPG 765.JPG766.JPG768.JPG769.JPG770.JPG771.JPG772.JPG773.JPG775.JPG776.JPG
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Br502362  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2016 20:32:09(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Nice looking layout ThumpUp
Must have been fun to play with it.
Plenty of scale models on shelves too.

Cheers
Åke
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2016 20:49:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice! ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline analogmike  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2016 20:54:52(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I wanted the images to appear in the thread and not be downloads.....what did i do wrong?
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2016 21:00:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Photos may have a maximum size of 500 KB to appear. If you downsized them, they would be visible.
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2016 21:15:00(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
got it. thanks. I apologize for being electronically challenged. mikey.
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2016 21:58:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent layout.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kamstutz  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2016 22:44:10(UTC)
kamstutz

United States   
Mike,
I took the liberty of downloading your images, cropping them, resizing them and reposting so that they are easier to share with the group. The scans are too nice to have them hidden... ThumpUp

Group - Please add any comments to Mike's main thread.

764.JPG770.JPG765.JPG766.JPG769.JPG768.JPG771.JPG772.JPG775.JPG776.JPG773.JPG
thanks 19 users liked this useful post by kamstutz
Offline SteamNut  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2016 01:28:56(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Wonderful pics, were did you get the "big gun"? Was it a kit?
Offline analogmike  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2016 02:05:22(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Thanks Kurt, I really must learn to post pics properly because I am ready to begin my new layout "Becksbahn" any day now and I want to share it here. To steamnut; the gun was a 1/72 scale kit from a company called Hasegawa. I don't know if they are still around. I remember building the kit when I was about 16 years old. It was called ''Anzio Annie". All the wheels were plastic so I filed the flanges off and put 2 Marklin axles on each truck so I could at least roll it around a 5200 curve. I air brushed the paint job with my own colors but I don't think it was prototypical. Years later I saw the real thing at the Aberdeen proving grounds in Del USA. I have a photo of it. I'll get it asap. mikey.
Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2016 02:18:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mikey, this remains me of my youth and I had a similar setup and than other things come into your mind, than your children are born and than you get crazy ideas (midlife crisis) to build a 13m x 5m layout, I wish I hadn't grown up., looking forward to see your new layout setup, what happened to your father's layout ? just read a touching story from a new member from Canada, his mother took her husbands layout apart and stored it for 15 years until the son resurrected it and today his children benefiting from it, so they say its usually the father himself who is the major admirer (lol)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline thomas buckley  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2016 02:32:38(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
Incredible layout! Newbie question here, with all those locos do you have separate circuits with individual transformers or ?? It looks analog like my trains and I am searching for ideas to make an enjoyable layout ...:)
Offline PJMärklin  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2016 07:17:29(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I found these old pics in my father's photo album so i scanned them to share with you.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your images - I did enjoy them

And also the model aircraft of the day on the shelves!

Regards,

PJ
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2016 10:09:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Mike,

I'm intrigued by the red and cream railbus in one of the photos. Is this a Marklin item?

It looks like the old Marklin 3016/4018 which I have, but I can't remember Marklin making it in these colours. Is it a re-paint or is it made by another manufacturer?
Ray
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2016 17:43:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks Kurt, I really must learn to post pics properly because I am ready to begin my new layout "Becksbahn" any day now and I want to share it here. To steamnut; the gun was a 1/72 scale kit from a company called Hasegawa. I don't know if they are still around. I remember building the kit when I was about 16 years old. It was called ''Anzio Annie". All the wheels were plastic so I filed the flanges off and put 2 Marklin axles on each truck so I could at least roll it around a 5200 curve. I air brushed the paint job with my own colors but I don't think it was prototypical. Years later I saw the real thing at the Aberdeen proving grounds in Del USA. I have a photo of it. I'll get it asap. mikey.

Anzio Annie was the nickname the allies on the beach at Anzio in Italy called it. To the Germans it was known as Leopold. The Germans had two of these guns in the area around Anzio, and I can't remember the nickname of the other one, or its German name.

The Germans had a number of these guns, commonly called Leopold guns, but each one was given its own name by the Germans. I think they are commonly known as Leopold because Leopold was the one taken back to the USA for testing after the war, and is now on display. There were several along the Channel used succesfully to shell shipping and also Dover, from France. There range was some 40 miles.

I bought a Liliput set with this gun in it, you can see it over here (second and third pictures).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline analogmike  
#16 Posted : 07 February 2016 15:39:41(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Anzio Annie was the nickname the allies on the beach at Anzio in Italy called it. To the Germans it was known as Leopold. The Germans had two of these guns in the area around Anzio, and I can't remember the nickname of the other one, or its German name.

The Germans had a number of these guns, commonly called Leopold guns, but each one was given its own name by the Germans. I think they are commonly known as Leopold because Leopold was the one taken back to the USA for testing after the war, and is now on display. There were several along the Channel used succesfully to shell shipping and also Dover, from France. There range was some 40 miles.

I bought a Liliput set with this gun in it, you can see it over here (second and third pictures).

i found the pic, sorry for the condition it was in a flood. i took it in around 1988. there is also a german boxcar on display with it.

annie.JPG

the railbus and 3030 lok behind it were "vandalized" by me at an early age. i used an airbrush. one day i will start a thread on "things i should not have done.Cursing

Edited by user 16 February 2016 21:20:49(UTC)  | Reason: picture correction

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2016 19:44:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You shouldn't regret doing creative modifications to your models, Mikey. I think they look very nice in their new colours! Smile

Some of my early Marklin stock, and a lot of my old Lima stock, was modified by me in my "experimental" phase. Most was heavily played with and needed a repaint anyway.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rip Track  
#18 Posted : 16 February 2016 03:01:11(UTC)
Rip Track

United States   
Great stuff Mike! We shared similar interests during the 70's. Trains and planes! I immediately noticed the Phantom Mustang model. That was one of my favorite plastic model builds. I recently found a 50th anniversary commemorative kit, stored away for the right time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rip Track
Offline Angus  
#19 Posted : 16 February 2016 11:19:17(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Thanks for sharing the photo's and my modelling days also come mind, although I still build a few models here & there. In fact I have the Hasegawa Leopold gun in my stash waiting for me to build it. So yes, Hasegawa do still exist and another company Hobby Boss also have a kit for the Leopold, also in 1/72. On my 'wish list' is the Dora, also available in kit form from Hobby Boss.

The Leopold in the USA is a combination of the original Leopold (Anzio Annie) & Robert (Anzio Express) both of which were used to bomb Anzio. The Germans damaged both, Robert more than Leopold. There is also a surviving gun in France somewhere.

Lima did an 00/H0, not sure which, set with the gun, loco and supporting wagons.

I dreamed of having a loco with a tender as a child, never mind a borsig :)
Offline Br502362  
#20 Posted : 16 February 2016 11:38:44(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for sharing the photo's and my modelling days also come mind, although I still build a few models here & there. In fact I have the Hasegawa Leopold gun in my stash waiting for me to build it. So yes, Hasegawa do still exist and another company Hobby Boss also have a kit for the Leopold, also in 1/72. On my 'wish list' is the Dora, also available in kit form from Hobby Boss.

The Leopold in the USA is a combination of the original Leopold (Anzio Annie) & Robert (Anzio Express) both of which were used to bomb Anzio. The Germans damaged both, Robert more than Leopold. There is also a surviving gun in France somewhere.

Lima did an 00/H0, not sure which, set with the gun, loco and supporting wagons.

I dreamed of having a loco with a tender as a child, never mind a borsig :)

Hi!

You mean this?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lima-H0-...62e22:g:AF0AAOSwezVWuc~J

Six hours time left.

Cheers

Åke
Offline Angus  
#21 Posted : 16 February 2016 11:47:04(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hi Åke, that is the gun on it's own but there is a set like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/L...et-Nice-85-/400967838507

Thanks
Angus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Angus
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 16 February 2016 14:43:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Angus Go to Quoted Post
Hi Åke, that is the gun on it's own but there is a set like this:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/L...et-Nice-85-/400967838507

Thanks
Angus

That is like my one that I posted the link to in post 15.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline analogmike  
#23 Posted : 16 February 2016 21:30:58(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rip Track Go to Quoted Post
Great stuff Mike! We shared similar interests during the 70's. Trains and planes! I immediately noticed the Phantom Mustang model. That was one of my favorite plastic model builds. I recently found a 50th anniversary commemorative kit, stored away for the right time.

I still have the mustang at my father's garage. That kit was such a pain in the a##. You had to be so careful with the glue because all the parts were clearCursing . It dropped bombs and had two motors for the propeller and landing gear. Hey do you remember the feather spring for the tailwheel doorsBlink ? mikey.
Offline Rip Track  
#24 Posted : 17 February 2016 02:04:22(UTC)
Rip Track

United States   
Yeahhhh. Huh I believe I may have omitted those doors.Blushing Hopefully age and experience will win out on the next one. That kit did teach me to use glue sparingly.
Offline sprogger  
#25 Posted : 17 February 2016 02:04:38(UTC)
sprogger

MIke
Question on the turntable (7186?) ..

It looks like Marklins M track 7186 turntable but it has more "engine shed" connections ...

The one I have has 6 in a row (to suit two by 7028 roundhouses) but yours appears to have 9?

Is this a different version or home modified?

Cheers
Sprogger
Offline analogmike  
#26 Posted : 17 February 2016 03:15:46(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello Sprogger, it's a home mod. I did it when I was about 14. It's not hard to do. I'm suprised i don't see more of them. The spacing is identical to the factory 6 so a third kit fits perfectly on the end. Luckily I was able to dig it out for some pics. It needs a little tlc right now but once it's installed and tuned-up, it works perfectly. mikey

t-tabl1 001.JPG

t-tabl1 002.JPG

t-tabl1 003.JPG

If you need more info let me know.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline sprogger  
#27 Posted : 17 February 2016 04:58:38(UTC)
sprogger

Thanks Mike
Will have to keep that trick in mind when I get to install my turntable

Cheers
Sprogger