Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2016 19:23:45(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Heaven forbid that this should happen. Crying

I'll assume that the big M is your number one HO train company. After all this is the Marklin Users Forum! ThumpUp

If Marklin was no more, which company would you most likely give most of your business?

...and Why?

Fleischmann, Roco, Brawa, Piko etc. (you name it)

Even though I have a few freight cars buy Fleischmann, Roco and Brawa, all my locos (90% steam) are Marklin. For me I would do some research and find out who makes the best operating locos and stands behind their products (warranty, parts etc.). That would end up being my new #1. BigGrin

Chuck
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2016 19:36:21(UTC)
H0

Hi, Chuck,

Märklin lost my trust and most of my money goes to Piko, Roco, and Fleischmann.

In 2009 when Märklin filed for insolvency I was really worried the day may come when they no longer exist.
Now I'm relaxed.

Rails would be a problem, but rolling stock would not.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2016 19:45:56(UTC)
Goofy

No matter for me,if Märklin did exist or not.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2016 19:55:02(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Hi all!

I've been following a long for a while.

Personally, I am not sure. Luckily I do not have to worry at the moment. There is a risk that I would loose interest in model railway, but I am not sure. There is also a risk that 3-rail would eventually die out when Märklin is not there to push things forward. To be honest, I think I would cry for a while, then the denial phase, then acceptance. Then - I don't know.

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Märklin lost my trust and most of my money goes to Piko, Roco, and Fleischmann.
In 2009 when Märklin filed for insolvency I was really worried the day may come when they no longer exist.
Now I'm relaxed. Rails would be a problem, but rolling stock would not.

I'm curious, if you do not buy Märklin locomotives, then why run 3-rail? I mean, there is so much more for you in the 2-rail world with regards to tracks and track configurations.
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2016 20:13:28(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I have to admit it. I would be wrecked! I've operated and collected Märklin since I was 11 (1964). I have stayed loyal too as I have always, I believe,

been a good customer. My interest has remained quite strong too with a few years in the late 70s when things were left in their boxes due to

living arrangements which were quite small back then. I was very worried when they claimed insolvency. I'm glad they are doing well now and happy

they have a parent company like Simba-Dickie. I think they're doing a good job. I only hope that the younger generation takes hold of our great

hobby. They need to keep prices from going up. This is important. Peter Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2016 20:16:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
I'm curious, if you do not buy Märklin locomotives, then why run 3-rail?
I don't buy many Märklin locos these days, but I have too many Märklin locos that cannot easily be converted to two-rail.
With a bit more transparency and a bit more quality Märklin could regain my trust. I bought one Märklin loco last year, knowing it had the good ol' c90 motor.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2016 20:35:16(UTC)
MaerklinLife

With a bit more transparency and a bit more quality Märklin could regain my trust. I bought one Märklin loco last year, knowing it had the good ol' c90 motor.

Understandable with the collection. What kind of transparency are you referring to? Do you mean like components used or? Forgive me for not knowing, is the c90 what Germans refer to as "stirnradantrieb"?

Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2016 21:12:40(UTC)
Webmaster

Ebay... BigGrin

Would not change the "system" but try to get what others might be selling regarding tracks etc...

I myself am not interested to switch to another system since I have "enough" and some time in the future a layout will be built...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2016 21:12:58(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Of course I would be quite sad if Maerklin were to cease production for whatever reason.
But in reality I have trains old and new, from many manufacturers, so I guess I would continue almoost as normal.

When Simba Dickie purchased Maerklin, they did not purchase a model train company.
They purchased a company with a huge range of manufacturing and design skills, that could continue in many types of miniaturised component industry.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2016 22:29:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I would be sad to see the company go under, but I'm sure the brand would remain in some form, much like Roco, Rivarossi, Joueff, etc.

Even if they did disappear completely there is so much out there on the second hand market that I would be able to buy all the Marklin I desired for years to come. I already dabble in some non-Marklin locos and stock, so this might be my new source for models of the latest prototypes, as well as a good source of other items never made by Marklin.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2016 22:54:26(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
I'm with Ray- used stuff would keep me busy!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Roland  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2016 23:37:23(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
I think that Marklin's product quality would ensure I would be reliably entertained for many decades to come. Most of my analog loks from the 80s and 90s still run strong. Hopefully the quality of today's digital products is close to the same level and I'll be able to run them for many years after Marklin might disappear.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline utkan  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2016 23:56:48(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
The day Maerklin disappears, the others will have already bitten the dustLOL
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline skeeterbuck  
#14 Posted : 04 February 2016 02:21:07(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I interesting sometimes how threads go in a different direction that they are originally envisioned. Laugh

I realize that with all the trains that Marklin has made over the years that the supply of items would last for many years to come.

I was thinking more of NEW purchases. If Marklin wasn't an option for new items, what company would you most likely buy from?

Chuck
Offline MaerklinLife  
#15 Posted : 04 February 2016 06:32:52(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
I was thinking more of NEW purchases. If Marklin wasn't an option for new items, what company would you most likely buy from?

I think buying used items, or seeze to buy is also a valid answer. At the end of the day, it seems to matter for a lot of folks.

Anyway, given the question about companies. I find PIKO interesting. They have the sort of stuff that I like (East German Models), I would probably go there for the majority of my stuff. I like their quality, which I think matches their price range very well.

If Märklin was not there to keep up 3-rail, I would consider my post-Märklin era to be a 2-rail era. I see no point in 3-rail when I cannot buy from Märklin, and I see no point in buying used items, since I would miss out on new inventions. Given the amount of people willing to buy used items, selling my current items could be a possibility.

To be honest, I do not think Märklin will go away, I think they - like so many other well known brands - will always be there in one way or the other.
Offline shannon  
#16 Posted : 04 February 2016 07:11:47(UTC)
shannon

Heaven forbid that this should happen. Crying

If Marklin was no more, which company would you most likely give most of your business?

Chuck

if lost M, get one more M to be Micro Metakit....hahaha, just joking.

Rivarossi, LS, REE, Brawa would be my priorities as a result of mechanically complex details like inner cylinder with moveable crank, moveable valve gear and correct scale that Marklin ignores
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 04 February 2016 08:00:55(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Life would go on surely.
I would cherish my humble collection like old family portraits on the wall,memories bitter and sweet.

The second hand market will survive for some years i suppose.

Otherwise i would opt for the occasional high end product,and use Piko to drive around.

But,hey guys,Marklin is still alive!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline DV  
#18 Posted : 04 February 2016 08:01:56(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Here's something to think about - If Märklin went, would the other companies continue to produce AC version locosConfused Confused Confused

I feel they are doing it now to 'skim' some sales off Märklin, but no Märklin??????????????????

Would it be worthwhile (financially) for themConfused Confused

Would they also start producing rolling stock with AC wheels ( I believe some produce wheel sets now? So that their DC rolling stock can be converted)

Just my 2c worthBigGrin
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 04 February 2016 09:25:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I interesting sometimes how threads go in a different direction that they are originally envisioned. Laugh

I realize that with all the trains that Marklin has made over the years that the supply of items would last for many years to come.

Chuck

Piko, Brawa, Roco, Liliput, Rivarossi....In that order I think.
Ray
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 04 February 2016 10:26:27(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
With Märklin gone I think it would be even more profitable for them.

Many of the "I only buy Märklin" customers do not know how many third-party products they get in Märklin boxes (there is Tillig and Hobbytrade in the 2016 new items brochure). If Märklin should ever close forever, some of them will give other brands a try.

The Piko catalogue already shows the appropriate AC wheel sets for cars and coaches. And many dealers swap them free of charge. This aspect may need some more advertising.
Some dealers even swap couplers.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2016 10:30:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Well this is a question and a half, what would happen to this forum if Märklin disappeared, no more: what is your budget for 2017, what new locos have you bought, what new locos will you buy, latest delivery dates, what new items will 2017 bring , wishlist for 2017, new items for 2017, nor more CS 4 or 5, no more motor changes, no more sound decoder changes, no more mfx, no more new versions of turnout solenoids, no more new versions of the Swiss Crocodile, no more versions of the BR 94/194, no more blocked protocol systems, no more pro Märklin fans, no more Märklin critics, Märklin fans will suffer with withdrawal symptoms, True Märklin fans will afford to go on holidays, will appreciate their past collection more, will have more time to oil and maintain them, will open their eyes to other manufacturers, will be able to buy more for their money, metal weight will be outclassed by new electronic torque technology, no more limited editions, no more Insider club items, no more magazins, the new name for Märklin will be: Miniatur Wunderland Märklin.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mbarreto  
#22 Posted : 04 February 2016 10:46:45(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
In case M disappears I would probably try MTH in H0 or O scale. If in O scale off course I would buy half or less of the items.
Also S scale would be interesting but I see no brand mass producing detailed and interesting items in that scale.
In H0 I could buy Piko or Roco for European electrics. Brawa needs to improve in plastics and current pick up, but detail is the best imho.

I think M will not disappear.
I also would like they motors with quality as they did (we don't even know what motors they are now using) and steamers with
2 or 3 axles driven (by teeth wheels, not side rods, unless side rods are super resistant).
I understand that M lost some trust and as Tom says was not much more needed to regain it. If I was not 98% on steamers I already was also buying other brands together with M.

Edited by user 07 February 2016 13:24:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline MaerklinLife  
#23 Posted : 04 February 2016 13:28:55(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Here's something to think about - If Märklin went, would the other companies continue to produce AC version locos?

I think that market would die out pretty fast. The majority of new comers would buy 2-rail, since no 3-rail starter sets would be made. New model railroaders would hesitate to bet on a dying horse. I could never, with a clear conscience, recommend somebody to go 3-rail if Märklin were not there to back it up. That is for sure.

The track - unless someone picks it up - would only be available second hand. Some people would switch to running 2-rail, they were looking for an excuse to do so, now they have it.

Let's face it, if 3-rail was invented today, it would be next to impossible to sell. The only reason 3-rail still exists is because Märklin keeps it alive. If Märklin were not there, it will die out. Faster than one might think.

To be honest, I don't get why Märklin doesn't do more stuff in the 2-rail world. I would expect 3-rail to slowly decline as we speak. I have no proof to back it up, it is just my personal observation. That's my take.
Offline skeeterbuck  
#24 Posted : 04 February 2016 13:53:47(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Here's something to think about - If Märklin went, would the other companies continue to produce AC version locosConfused Confused Confused

Yes, I think they would. Just to see if they still sold. Regardless what a company produces the bottom line is always about making money. If the demand still existed, someone would be making the product.

It doesn't take too much for a company to change a loco from 2 rail to 3. Some different wheelsets and a slider pickup and you good to go. With digital all the motors are now DC anyway.

IIRC Sony just recently announced they're finally stopping production of blank Beta video tapes. Talk about outdated technology. OhMyGod

I've been into buying Marklin for about 25 years. Longer than some but not nearly as long as others here, but I wouldn't dump everything and go to 2 rail DC unless I thought I had no other choice.

Chuck
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#25 Posted : 04 February 2016 13:55:44(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   

Chuck

Roco, Brawa.......

Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 04 February 2016 14:03:07(UTC)
H0

Let's face it, if 3-rail was invented today, it would be next to impossible to sell.
Yes, very likely.

The only reason 3-rail still exists is because Märklin keeps it alive. If Märklin were not there, it will die out. Faster than one might think.
How about Trix Express? Many people still use it, but AFAIK no company makes tracks any more.
Trix are making locos and cars/coaches for Trix Express again - for a few years they only made the annual club car.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#27 Posted : 04 February 2016 14:46:58(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I feel they are doing it now to 'skim' some sales off Märklin, but no Märklin??????????????????

Would they also start producing rolling stock with AC wheels ( I believe some produce wheel sets now? So that their DC rolling stock can be converted)

Just my 2c worthBigGrin

One would have to ask the same question about Trix, who announced the end of the Trix Express product line some years back. However the market is evidently there as they have produced Trix Express items for the last three or so years - granted they are adapted from the standard Trix items with Trix Express couplings that go in NEM pockets, and interchangeable wheel sets, and that is about it, but to actually restart marketing the line means pressure must have been applied somewhere.

I once asked a Marklin representative why they made the original Insider Big Boy in a Delta version instead of making them all digital. His answer was that the delta version was about 10% of the production of that model, and were mostly bought by people who collected items as 'shelf queens' for display only purposes. So if other companies who are making items that Marklin are not making can add 5-10% to their production run by doing minimal tooling extras or changes then it is a useful increase in production, even allowing for the additional costs of 'special' decoders (in most cases they will already use a Marklin compatible decoder such as ESU anyway).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Lormarck  
#28 Posted : 04 February 2016 17:39:45(UTC)
Lormarck

Belgium   
i guess I would soldier on with the rolling stock I have lots of Roco, Liliput, Rivarossi and a couple of Brawa', all in AC version. as for the tracks, I'd consider PECO streamline. PECO also produces brass contact strips to be inserted between the sleepers of their DC tracks. The only problem i whether Roco, Fleischmann, Liliput e.a. will continue producing 3 rail model :-)
Offline taliesin  
#29 Posted : 04 February 2016 18:03:10(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
For me I got into Marklin from seeing a picture of 3752 many years a go and finally cured that itch relatively recently. Looking for other Swiss loco's soon bought me into contact with Hag and that seems to be where the bulk of my money seems to go now. I use C Track so would miss that but I could probably find enough to cover all my eventual needs. Being a digital dummy I use a MS2 which could prove a problem if it fails with age as I like MFX and compatible chips so would need a direct replacement.
There will almost certainly be enough loco's and stock floating around the secondhand market to satisfy my needs combined with new and S/H Hag although I am not too certain about Hag's future. I have a couple of 3 rail Roco but in all honesty they don't do it for me, I think it's the plastic.
It reads like I could probably get by without Marklin but I would rather not and do look forward to their next Swiss electric, cheers Rob
Offline MaerklinLife  
#30 Posted : 04 February 2016 20:32:15(UTC)
MaerklinLife

How about Trix Express? Many people still use it, but AFAIK no company makes tracks any more.
Trix are making locos and cars/coaches for Trix Express again - for a few years they only made the annual club car.

True, but I think there is a difference: Trix keeps Trix Express alive. I see no other companies that do that. Without Trix making Trix Express models, Trix Express fans would had to rely on the second hand market. I do not think many new comers start out with Trix Express. I think of Trix Express as a niche market and I think 3-rail will be a niche market too without Märklin to keep it alive.

My bet would be that Trix does not make that much money on their Express models.
Offline Deneta's Man  
#31 Posted : 05 February 2016 02:40:02(UTC)
Deneta's Man

Australia   
Earlier in the thread Peterstra touched on an important point re the younger generation being interested in our hobby. Marklin needs a future market to survive. I'm sure this point has been raised somewhere on this forum so please excuse me for not seeking it out.

I have two boys, 6 and 8 years. The elder is totally uninterested in model railway, he like playing games on his so-called 'rectangle' (ipod). My six your old is definately interested in model trains! He has a box of M-track, a 3000 loco and a handful of era III wagons. Just like I did at age 6! He sets up a different layout each time he plays. He invited a friend over for a play date and the box of trains appeared. His friend was fascinated.

But the sad truth IMHO is that a 'virtual' model railway on a colourful LCD screen will win the interest of the younger generation.

I really hope that my boy will remain interested in model railway into adulthood. So on that basis I should keep buying Marklin for him!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Deneta's Man
Offline Swimmer  
#32 Posted : 05 February 2016 08:40:50(UTC)
Swimmer

South Africa   
To be honest I don't know what I would do. I have only got Marklin, none of the others not even coaches.

Regards
Carsten
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Swimmer
Offline MaerklinLife  
#33 Posted : 05 February 2016 17:59:48(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Deneta's Man Go to Quoted Post
But the sad truth IMHO is that a 'virtual' model railway on a colourful LCD screen will win the interest of the younger generation.

Sad indeed. Truth - I am not sure about that. I think a lot of toy manufacturers fall into the "we desperately need an app"-pit instead of focusing on what they do well. I see a few problems with the model railroad strategy for many manufacturers. I am aware, that some is easier said than done. For a moment, let's just forget that.

First: Availability. I think the Aldi-strategy is a great strategy. You place the products in the eyes of parents where the parents are. Parents do not seek out a model railroad shop - they don't. Whenever a little kid is around our place and falls in love with my Märklin - lot of kids do - I tell their parents about "My World" and bam: Sold! It is that easy. They are like "What? I did not know about this amazing toy!". No you did not, because how should you? Märklin (or anybody) at the big stores would be a dramatic increase in visibility and surely get the attention of people who would otherwise not think about it. It is not easy getting into the big stores, I know, but it would help.

Basically I think the My World line up needs trees and small houses to get people started. If Märklin succeed in getting My World to other stores than Model Railroad stores, they need to be able to supply people with landscaping stuff as well. A store will be careful in the beginning, and not take in Faller or others before they know what to expect. My World would need to be able to stand alone for a while, until people are hooked and seek the Model Railroad store themselves.

Second: What is a model railroad about? A manufacturer should care about selling the dream, the creativity, the lessons learned while building a model railroad. You get a huge amount of knowledge from using your hands and being creative with your hands. A model railroad is about being creative and copying the real world in miniature. That is the essence. A manufacturer should build their marketing and products around that simple focus and stop focusing on apps and other stuff that will only catch people's attention for a while. It is a long term hobby, not something that will last a week or a year like so many other sad toys these days. Appeal to the creativity in every person's mind. People want to be creative and be able to say: "I've built that!".

Third: I think the My World and Start Up series currently are the best bet on getting the younger generation hooked. My prediction is that the other products, like Roco Next Generation will fail, simply because they are not model railroads. They are slot cars on rails with an app. Nobody will care about that for a very long time, because they do not appeal to children's creative minds. Model railroads that mimic the real world do.

At the end of the day, if the products are not put into people's minds, this will all be for nothing - no matter how great they are.

Therefore: Have a bunch of My World and Start Up catalogues around. When someone's little kid shows interest in your trains, grab a catalogue and your "happen to be around" list of dealers and stick it in the hand of the parents! There you go, potential new customer. I always have that, you never know.

Oh, and one more thing: We all should stop predicting the death of the hobby! No one wants to bet on a dying horse. If we keep talking doom and gloom, it will scare new people away. Who want's to be with a bunch of pessimistic "not believing in themselves" loosers? Be enthusiastic instead - you have the world's greatest hobby! Smile

Originally Posted by: Deneta's Man Go to Quoted Post
I really hope that my boy will remain interested in model railway into adulthood. So on that basis I should keep buying Marklin for him!

Statistically he should take the obligatory teen-break and then return when he gets a job and earns money. Especially when dad is still running his train. You will have something to talk about! Lovely! I wish my dad had a model railroad.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#34 Posted : 05 February 2016 20:17:03(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
I first met Märklin when I was less than three months old; my grandad bought for me a 3047, some M track and a couple of Cars.

So I don't know what would I do if Märklin ever disappears...running my old trains and keeping them in good condition.

If Märklin were impossible to get, I would go for two raíl and Fleischmann.

Regards
Carlos

My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 06 February 2016 14:56:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Basically I think the My World line up needs trees and small houses to get people started. If Märklin succeed in getting My World to other stores than Model Railroad stores, they need to be able to supply people with landscaping stuff as well. A store will be careful in the beginning, and not take in Faller or others before they know what to expect. My World would need to be able to stand alone for a while, until people are hooked and seek the Model Railroad store themselves.

There is some buildings available in the Faller range designed for My World use. All the buildings have the same almost square plastic base and are supplied with a hipped plastic roof, and a set of cardboard walls with printed detail outlines (windows, doors, etc) that can be coloured in. The walls are supplied flat and require bending to fit around the base and then the rof is sat on top.

The only exception is the station building which occupies two plastic bases and has two roof pieces.

I thought I had taken a photo of them on the Faller stand at the Treff last year, but I hadn't.

Offline michelvr  
#36 Posted : 06 February 2016 17:07:47(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
How would I Proceed -Without Marklin? This is my story on Marklin, no harm intended.Flapper

Obviously if it wasn't for Marklin I would not be reading this post and answering a question that is in a way very condescending to Marklin.Confused

It's like asking how would you proceed without model trains, for if it was not for Marklin there really would not be such a high standard of collectable model trains. Wasn't Marklin's introduction of HO in 1935 one of the first to make HO model trains, track and accessories?BigGrin

The real question should be, "Without Marklin how would the hobby proceed?Mellow

Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline MaerklinLife  
#37 Posted : 07 February 2016 07:06:17(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Another way to look at it would be: Model railways will never go away. Never.

Look at history: For as long as there have been something to make a miniature of, there has been a miniature of it.

People are building models of houses, cars, the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, bridges, airplanes, trains, even other people. It is in the human DNA to be fascinated about a model. Therefore I conclude: Real trains will disappear before the model trains and since real trains will not go away anytime soon, neither will the model railway. Smile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 07 February 2016 08:34:08(UTC)
H0

Another way to look at it would be: Model railways will never go away. Never.
Yep. But companies come and go. Scales come and go.

Märklin was the first company to offer a system model railway. They were the second company to offer 00 gauge. They are the world market leader.

People here are not worried about model railways, but some are worried about the future of Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#39 Posted : 07 February 2016 11:03:21(UTC)
MaerklinLife

People here are not worried about model railways, but some are worried about the future of Märklin.

From what I can read in so many threads before this one, people are also often worried about the model railroad hobby in general. Which is why I said what I did.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 07 February 2016 12:29:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My concern is about the way that toy trains are no longer a major feature in children's lives the way they were for my generation. The same applies to toy soldiers, doll's houses, and other toys that used to be common.

Whereas before you could find model trains in any toy shop it is now rare to see any kind of model. Even plastic kits are getting hard to find.

This does not mean that the hobby will die out, but that it will become a minority past-time served by an ever smaller number of small specialist model manufacturers.
Ray
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Hackcell  
#41 Posted : 07 February 2016 15:41:48(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: carlos.rivas.16752 Go to Quoted Post
I first met Märklin when I was less than three months old; my grandad bought for me a 3047, some M track and a couple of Cars.

So I don't know what would I do if Märklin ever disappears...running my old trains and keeping them in good condition.

If Märklin were impossible to get, I would go for two raíl and Fleischmann.

Regards
Carlos

Carajo! un tren de hierro para un niño de 3 meses suena algo peligroso :-)

Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Hackcell  
#42 Posted : 07 February 2016 15:45:55(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
If MTH would stay producing 3 rail models, I could stick to that, however, finding marklin compatible tracks is impossible. With no tracks, it makes no sense to keep using the format. So I guess I'd start changing all of the wheels on my rolling stock and start converting my locos to DC.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#43 Posted : 07 February 2016 16:05:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
however, finding marklin compatible tracks is impossible.

Oh I don't think that is the case.

Peco track with Weichen-Walter center studs seems a pretty good substitute to me. They also do the center studs for Tillig track.

Peco also have point arrangements that Marklin do not have, like Y points.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Hackcell  
#44 Posted : 07 February 2016 17:16:07(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Peco track with Weichen-Walter center studs seems a pretty good substitute to me. They also do the center studs for Tillig track.

I wonder how difficult would it be to adapt a Peco Y turnout to K track :-)

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline H0  
#45 Posted : 07 February 2016 17:25:03(UTC)
H0

60 years ago people used two-rail tracks with small nails as centre-rail studs. And nails between the ballast (not in the middle of the sleepers) can be very decent.
Wheel spacing could be a problem with turnouts.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#46 Posted : 07 February 2016 18:10:35(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Have you checked the prices for a Weichen Walther double slip switch? 395€ for the Baeseler class. I believe this is the one that matches the slim C-track geometry. 395€ for one single switch. I would bet that you can convert much 3-rail into 2-rail for that price (or buy almost 7 double slip switches from Roco 59€). I would not be able to justify that kind of expense on a single switch.

My point is: I think it would be expensive to hack your way through track laying, and you will have to deal with home made solutions much of the way. This is not always ideal, especially with a delicate system like the center rail. Much attention is needed to get things right, especially with the switches. 2-rail does not have this problem, and the track is - for the most part - cheap. Grapping the bull by its horns and make the switch to 2-rail would probably be a better solution. Depending on the collection size - of course. This would of course only be relevant to model railroaders that run a model railroad for the sake of modelling - die hard collectors are a different breed and it might not be relevant for them. Luckily, we are all different. Smile

Offline RayF  
#47 Posted : 07 February 2016 19:37:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't think it would be difficult to continue to find Marklin track.

Marklin discontinued the M-track range about fifteen years ago, yet you can still buy M-tracks on ebay by the bucketful! Even the 3 rail type that preceded it, now about sixty years out of production, can still be found on the second hand market.

Judging by the amount of C and K track available second hand today I think we would have no trouble building our Marklin layouts many years from now.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#48 Posted : 08 February 2016 00:22:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post

I wonder how difficult would it be to adapt a Peco Y turnout to K track :-)

Shouldn't be difficult, they do them in code 100.

Not sure about the radius and angle though. Angle wouldn't be a problem, but radius might. If matching it to another point might be easier to use another Peco point.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#49 Posted : 08 February 2016 00:39:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Have you checked the prices for a Weichen Walther double slip switch? 395€ for the Baeseler class. I believe this is the one that matches the slim C-track geometry. 395€ for one single switch. I would bet that you can convert much 3-rail into 2-rail for that price (or buy almost 7 double slip switches from Roco 59€). I would not be able to justify that kind of expense on a single switch.

My point is: I think it would be expensive to hack your way through track laying, and you will have to deal with home made solutions much of the way. This is not always ideal, especially with a delicate system like the center rail. Much attention is needed to get things right, especially with the switches. 2-rail does not have this problem, and the track is - for the most part - cheap. Grapping the bull by its horns and make the switch to 2-rail would probably be a better solution. Depending on the collection size - of course. This would of course only be relevant to model railroaders that run a model railroad for the sake of modelling - die hard collectors are a different breed and it might not be relevant for them. Luckily, we are all different. Smile

I wasn't suggested buying their hand built points - I have gagged at their prices for those too, but having seen the guys at my local club hand laying track I can quite believe the price.

At the bottom of this page (link) thye list higher stud strips (they call them stripes) for use on points for both Peco and Tillig track. So adding center studs to commercial points should be emminently do-able.